Cook is the #2 scorer Lakers are looking for…
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject:

ThePunisher wrote:
iml84myd8s wrote:
Cook is shooting
.513 FG% and .456% 3P%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dated #'s

FG% 51.8
3P% 50.0

splitting hairs. i'll take either stats. however, i just got them from espn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?statsId=3727
copied and pasted...

YR TM G GS MIN FG FG% 3P 3P%
05-06 Lal 47 19 18.0 3.0-5.9 .513 0.2-0.5 .458

opps, i typed .456 and he actually shot .458 3p%
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Against a top tier post PF Cook would be on the bench late in the 2nd qtr with 4 fouls. Duncan, J'Oneal etc.

It's all about match-ups with each team. As for Duncan, Odom and / or Mihm guard him and Cook guards some else such as Nesterovic or Horry who aren't inside threats. As for J. O'Neal, Odom and / or Cook guards him. After all, Kwame and / or Mihm would be abused if they tried to stay with J. O'Neal.

Odom still needs to guard the more athletic power forwards. It's all about match-ups. Just because Odom is playing small forward, the Lakers should have Odom covering players such as Peja, Prince or the other quick small forwards who can knock down the open shot. After all, we just saw what happens to Odom when he's asked to guard a player that doesn't suit his defensive abilities.

Same goes for Cook, Kwame and every other Laker.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Give Cook consistent starter minutes and he'll give up as many points as he scores.
sonofabuss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject:

didn't cook go off like this a bit back in december (or was it late november) when kwame went down?
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:

If cook is our second option, we're lottery bound.

Hopefully this is how it will go down when Lamar figures out the triangle and finds his spots.
Kobe
Odom
Mihm/Cook
That is the order for a healthy team. Hopefully by the playoffs we'll have some consistent scoring options. In order to get to WCF, I think Kobe is going to have to become superman again in the playoffs. JSIA.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Exactly. I can't believe I'm actually reading that Cook is our 2nd Option.

It's almost as bad as when I read "Turiaf!!! He's just the kind of 2nd superstar this team needs beside of Kobe"

Cook played well, but not that well.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:

Hopefully this is how it will go down when Lamar figures out the triangle and finds his spots.
Kobe
Odom
Mihm/Cook
That is the order for a healthy team. Hopefully by the playoffs we'll have some consistent scoring options. In order to get to WCF, I think Kobe is going to have to become superman again in the playoffs. JSIA.

Nights like 2night just show how valuable a 2nd option is to the team and Kobes game. We dont have that. When we do we will be a factor. Your list of players is not what we need for that role.
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
CrimsonLaker wrote:

Kobe
Odom
Mihm/Cook

Nights like 2night just show how valuable a 2nd option is to the team and Kobes game. We dont have that. When we do we will be a factor. Your list of players is not what we need for that role.

What are you talking about? First, there were many things aside from Cook's scoring that allowed the lakers to win this game. Second, cook did well last night and we lost. Reconcile that. A second option also needs to be able to play consistent minutes and I'm sorry, but once Mihm gets healthy I rather have kwame on the floor for defensive purposes in the starting role.
topramen78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Can we bring back that thread in 2003 that said Cook sucked and how bad of a GM Mitch is for drafting him? I want to know which players in the 2003 draft we would have wanted instead of Cook and which posters in here had the foresight to make that suggestion.

While Josh Howard may be the only player drafted after Cook that is better than Cook, I'd be willing to bet not a single poster here suggested we draft Howard over Cook.

I just wanna see the selections the people in here would have made in lieu of Mitch's selection in Brian Cook.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:
bounty wrote:
CrimsonLaker wrote:

Kobe
Odom
Mihm/Cook

What are you talking about? First, there were many things aside from Cook's scoring that allowed the lakers to win this game. Second, cook did well last night and we lost. Reconcile that. A second option also needs to be able to play consistent minutes and I'm sorry, but once Mihm gets healthy I rather have kwame on the floor for defensive purposes in the starting role.

Did you not see Kobes nght last night? He is allowed to be off. When hes off we lose. Having that 2nd scorer allows kobe to relax and let the game come to him, rather than needing him to force points. OF COURSE everything matters. We saw DG come up huge with RBS. Those aspects are much easier had. Pts arent. RBS are a stat that can be cured by the TEAM . Scoring is much harder to flow. im glad you would rather have Kwame, not me. Kwame is a liability. If we had that 2nd option Kwame would be fine, but WE HAVE TO have points from our frontline.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject:

topramen78 wrote:
Can we bring back that thread in 2003 that said Cook sucked and how bad of a GM Mitch is for drafting him? I want to know which players in the 2003 draft we would have wanted instead of Cook and which posters in here had the foresight to make that suggestion.

While Josh Howard may be the only player drafted after Cook that is better than Cook, I'd be willing to bet not a single poster here suggested we draft Howard over Cook.

I just wanna see the selections the people in here would have made in lieu of Mitch's selection in Brian Cook.

How many of us get paid to evaluate players. I'll take Howard.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:

Kobe
Odom
Mihm/Cook

Odom scored 20 points one time over the past month. Once!
Odom scored over 20 points twice over the past two months. Twice!

That's not what the #2 scorer on a team does. Odom's average over his career is around 15-16 points per game. It's time to realize Odom is not going to become the Lakers #2 scorer. He doesn't have that ability. Odom's strenght are rebounding and passing. And his passing can be really off at times.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Cook. Can't. Play. Defense.
ThePunisher
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:

How many of us get paid to evaluate players.

Doesn't matter since people are complaining they could do better as fans.

If the argument was people could do better IF they were paid to, then I would accept your reply. But that's not the case.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Cook is very one dimensional but he serves a purpose, he makes team pay for doubling off Kobe. When stiffs like Luke and Sasha who's shooting around 35% on wide open shots, team just collapses on Kobe. Remember guys like Craig Hodges who compliments MJ? Cook serves the same purpose and honestly, aside from Kobe, who else would you rather have to sink a jumper on this team, LO? Luke? Sasha?
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
Against a top tier post PF Cook would be on the bench late in the 2nd qtr with 4 fouls. Duncan, J'Oneal etc.

It's all about match-ups with each team. As for Duncan, Odom and / or Mihm guard him and Cook guards some else such as Nesterovic or Horry who aren't inside threats. As for J. O'Neal, Odom and / or Cook guards him. After all, Kwame and / or Mihm would be abused if they tried to stay with J. O'Neal.

Odom still needs to guard the more athletic power forwards. It's all about match-ups. Just because Odom is playing small forward, the Lakers should have Odom covering players such as Peja, Prince or the other quick small forwards who can knock down the open shot. After all, we just saw what happens to Odom when he's asked to guard a player that doesn't suit his defensive abilities.

its not JUSTabout match ups...
its about that AND team defense.. rotations, shot blocking, rebounding, rebounding in traffic etc...

cook is poor at just about everything on the defensive end except taking a charge.
W/ cook as one of the guys guarding the paint opposing guards are basically given an invitation to attack the rim. There is no fear of a shot blocker or physical contact.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject:

mike_kb wrote:
This is a joke right? Teams will figure out Cook if he keeps nailing the open jumpers on consistent basis. Right now, he's being dared to shoot because no teams are respecting him.He's a one-dimensional player who's value to a team is nil if his shots aren't falling.

If anything, tonight showed what this team could be capable of with a legitimate second scoring option, and how badly they need one.

No it's not a joke. There are things called scouting reports etc and Cook is known for his good range. Yes, teams are daring him to shoot but then if they don't Kobe's gonna burn them. Time to pick their poison. We want them to realize Cook is a good range shooter so they can stop guarding Kobe.

I think tonight proved that his defense won't be needed much. So what if Duncan or JO plays? Then put Cook at C. He'll have no problem guarding guys like Nesterovic or Foster. He just needs to box out.

Cook isn't a second option. But he's a very good offensive option. If we get balanced double figures scoring from Odom, Mihm and Parker, there isn't any need to start numbering offensive options because they players will just be doing their roles.

CrimsonLaker wrote:
bounty wrote:
CrimsonLaker wrote:

Kobe
Odom
Mihm/Cook

We lost because Walton, Vujacic came in and Cook who was on fire went out. That was Phil's fault, not Cook's. If anything, the game would have been a bigger blowout if not for Cook.

bambam wrote:
iml84myd8s wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

its not JUSTabout match ups...
its about that AND team defense.. rotations, shot blocking, rebounding, rebounding in traffic etc...

cook is poor at just about everything on the defensive end except taking a charge.
W/ cook as one of the guys guarding the paint opposing guards are basically given an invitation to attack the rim. There is no fear of a shot blocker or physical contact.

If the perimeter guys stopped penetration, I don't think this would be a problem.
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject:

No he's not! Last year we figured that too but, we found out that its a fluke. He will be good again in about 6 games. A roll of the dice would be alittle more accurate.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject:

What we have seen from the Kobe-Cook connection for the last 2 games is perfect triangle play. It allows for a lot more ball movement and other guys are getting involved in the offense going to the hole.

It can continue because teams must at least double Kobe. If not, he can easily go for 50 and 8 assist once the offense becomes fluid.

It is just one game, but it is a bright spot because of the total team movement and orchestration.

Hate if you want, but Cook is our second scoring option. Mihm is our 3rd and whoever can make a shot is our 4th.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Cook is money so long as he does not have to put the ball on the floor
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject:

What comes around goes around.......................

It's funny that while Kobe has totally elevated Cook's game by his mere presence........Cook in turn is now helping Kobe get a whole lot of that double/triple and traps off of his back.............

Instead of steady diets of triples and doubles,Kobe will probably only see doubles half the time now,well as long as Cook or anyone else for that matter continue to be threats,as Cook has been......

Kobe can now pick his spots,pass out of doubles when harrassed,make them pay for them........And when they play single coverage,Kobe can perform his magic with total ease......
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject:

Kobe running a pick and pop was beautiful. He's never had a shooter like that who could set a screen for him. We can run that play til the cows come home. Cook should be starting (he needs to be on the floor w/ Kobe as much as possible). As long as he stays out of foul trouble we're fine. And yes, he did start some games while Kwame was out and was mostly successful (some 18 pt. games) but not like this. Damn.

It just goes to show what Kobe can do w/ even one guy who can make a jumper w/ regularity.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject:

Yes, Cook the #2 scorer!!!

Eureka!!!

Just like Smush was gonna be after a couple of 20+ point games...

Yayyy impulse!!!

Boooo reality!!!
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
Yes, Cook the #2 scorer!!!

Eureka!!!

Just like Smush was gonna be after a couple of 20+ point games...

Yayyy impulse!!!

Boooo reality!!!

What? You mean Cook ISN'T a 2nd option type of SCORER? I guess the next thing you're going to tell me is that Ronny Turiaf isn't the "Second Superstar type that we need alongside Kobe", huh? HOGWASH!! :roll:

Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Give Cook consistent starter minutes and he'll give up as many points as he scores.

'zzzzactly.

A la Chris Webber, circa 2005-2006.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: