Even with a max contract offer top free agents wont sign, why?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Even with a max contract offer top free agents wont sign, why?

Having the worst record in franchise history is probably the number 1 reason this team is not getting any luv from the top free agents but we have had mediocre records before and landed them, what is going on now seems to be a conspiracy or NBA players simply not feeling the winning mystique and nostalgia of Laker history, we as Laker fans are all biased to the question "why wouldn't they want to come here" but the reality is that until this team makes the playoffs, agents are going to be the angel in the ear of the best players telling them to sign somewhere else, I mean honestly how often have top free agents signed with a team in the cellar? We should look at it as a badge of honor when the media blurts out our team in every top free agent conversation as a right of passage into market value and relevance

I am really excited to see this team grow, will they be a playoff team there first year together, anything is possible, but will it take a playoff birth to have top free agents seriously considering tinsel town absolutely

So where does that leave us, win now and win, win, win again, if we can somehow sneak into that 8th seed this upcoming season we will open the eyes of a lot of top free agents, statistically speaking eventually with our track record and location we can reverse "basketball reasons" and lure in one or two top players while our young core is still on affordable contracts,
however one of the problems is that our team is so young that it may be difficult to gauge the ceiling based upon them simply not playing together long enough and without superstar veteran leadership at the same time, the only real way we probably make a move in the near distant future is as a upgrade at a currently filled position, exp if Blake Griffin in 2017 shows any sign of interest signing we immediately shop Randle, or if Cousins shows interest in 2018 which is highly likely we package Mozgov to somewhere else, of course these are best case scenarios, but its only a matter of time before we get that next top free agent, we just have to be in the post season on our own to get serious consideration again
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject:

Because they decide to stay with the team that can give them more money or like LeBron and Durant they go to a power house team to try and win a championship. It's pretty easy to see why.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject:

Really depends on their other options.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject:

I see our current situation as being like owning a prime beach side property. Awesome. Except we have just started construction on it and will take 2 years.

Or, you can live at the nice house that's already made, might be a little older and less modern, but it's a house that's liveable right now.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject:

It's because Los Angeles is not a superstar destination right now. In today technology The player can become a star in his own right no matter where he goes. Social media can make anyone a star in any place on any team in any city. Sadly the player can become bigger than the team.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject:

We are at a rare time when even the best teams in the NBA could offer a player a max contract. Previously only a small group of teams had the cap room to do so and much better odds of grabbing a top FA.
Just imagine how much damage the 3 peat Lakers could have done if they could have added on another max level player to that team. This is just a very bad time to be a bad team... our best bet is to build through draft and become good in our own right and at that point attract top free agents.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
It's because Los Angeles is not a superstar destination right now. In today technology The player can become a star in his own right no matter where he goes. Social media can make anyone a star in any place on any team in any city. Sadly the player can become bigger than the team.

Emphasis on right now. Once the Lakers young core/coach mature (i.e. in 2 years), we still have a premier spot that players would love to play for if the infrastructure was more set.
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
999 wrote:

Emphasis on right now. Once the Lakers young core/coach mature (i.e. in 2 years), we still have a premier spot that players would love to play for if the infrastructure was more set.

Well said, and since Westbrook did sign a 2yr deal and cant land another superstar in OKC to bring that team to the Finals, we should be good enough for the media wooing to start again only we will have street cred to really get him, plus their will be other names out there, Griffin, Ibaka if Randle's skills don't skyrocket, NBA players aren't stupid, I feel that if we make the playoffs this year being this young, the top free agents will say to themselves all their missing is me
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

I think 2017 may shape up to be a disappointment too. I would rather pursue non-big names and try to save up as much cap space for 2018 (PG13, WB, Cousins are targets).

The pie is in the oven. It may take 2 full seasons. But it'll be worth the wait.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject:

LakerFan1977 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
999 wrote:

Well said, and since Westbrook did sign a 2yr deal and cant land another superstar in OKC to bring that team to the Finals, we should be good enough for the media wooing to start again only we will have street cred to really get him, plus their will be other names out there, Griffin, Ibaka if Randle's skills don't skyrocket, NBA players aren't stupid, I feel that if we make the playoffs this year being this young, the top free agents will say to themselves all their missing is me

Boston couldn't capitalize depite a good coach and a playoff bound team. They are gonna make huge trades during the season
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject:

Man, this pre-extension extension is a game changer. Harden/WB have done so, I fear that PG13 will do it too.
LAII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

Well for one thing the Lakers can't offer a 5th year. I hate that provision of the CBA.
VANEXELtoJONES
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject:

I think according to Jeannie Buss, this summer the palm trees didn't seem as vibrant in colors and the camera guys for TV didn't zoom in on Jack Nicholson and Diane Cannon enough during the season.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I see our current situation as being like owning a prime beach side property. Awesome. Except we have just started construction on it and will take 2 years.

Or, you can live at the nice house that's already made, might be a little older and less modern, but it's a house that's liveable right now.

the problem is you need the right architect and listing agent to get top dollar. It doesn't happen just because. We don't have that. if jerry west or sam presti was at the helm I could believe....but I have seen the past of who is at the helm and it wont happen. we are going to have a great beachside location and put up a house that only has 1 bathroom and inferior quality in a neighborhood of high quality homes with 4 to 5 bathrooms.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:

Hear me when I say this, LA is too much pressure...That's why!
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

the problem is you need the right architect and listing agent to get top dollar. It doesn't happen just because. We don't have that. if jerry west or sam presti was at the helm I could believe....but I have seen the past of who is at the helm and it wont happen. we are going to have a great beachside location and put up a house that only has 1 bathroom and inferior quality in a neighborhood of high quality homes with 4 to 5 bathrooms.

We must have seen completely different drafts over the last 3 years.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

yeah but you neglect to also include one year contract to below average players. bad coach hires and trades that almost made us miss the draft. don't be selective. the draft is not the whole picture.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Randle/JC
DLO/Nance
Ingram/Zubac

That's not the sign of a good architect? We're not trying to rebuild a house from the 1980s (Showtime) or the 2000s (Kobe). We're building a completely new one and it's looking good IMO.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

IMO the lights are just too bright in Los Angeles and the standard has been set way too high. Combine that with social media and players being able to become stars in smaller markets, us rebuilding, lots of teams with Max contracts, new CBA, and you have this situation we're in now.

You can't blame anybody for it, it's just the way things are.

I think Dwight came to Los Angeles and gave us 18 and 12 but it still wasn't enough.

Julius Randle gave us a double double as a rookie but it's still not enough

Russel was breaking records as a 3rd or 4th option rookie and it still isn't enough. His numbers were comparable, if not better than anything D.fisher did his entire career as a 3rd or 4th option.

Clarkson is putting up lottery talent numbers as a second round pick and we still expect him to play lockdown defense and make an allstar team.

Let's face it...anything less than perfection from these kids in the next couple of seasons and we're going to be disappointed and asking for them to be traded. The same thing would happen to any superstar that decided to come here. Can you imagine how fans would react to us signing derozen to a max contract and he can't shoot 3's? They would be calling for the front offices heads!

Just my opinion.

Not everyone can handle Bing under a microscope.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject:

We have signed one max level top FA, Shaq in 1996. And that was to a team that had won 50+ games the previous season. Not signing top FAs is more normal than signing them.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject:

Anyone could provide a long response to this question.

There are so many reasons.

It really depends on the players when it comes.

It depends on the timing.

It depends on the players.

It depends on the status and perception of the team.

Dallas has had bad luck as well in getting players to sign with them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

yeah but you neglect to also include one year contract to below average players. bad coach hires and trades that almost made us miss the draft. don't be selective. the draft is not the whole picture.

Luke is a bad coach? And you do realize that almost missing the draft means that you didn't miss the draft, don't you? Keep the hypotheticals coming, though.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject:

It's more of a "winning/ Rangz" culture now than it ever was. And we're worse than we ever were - our young guys are completely unproven, like, they didn't instill confidence that they'd be future all stars last year. This year and 17-18' particularly i guarantee Russell will prove he'll be that - And Ingram probably will too in his sophomore year. Then Free Agents will come that summer, for sure.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

It's Kobe's fault obviously. Even though he's not on the team anymore. And his contract is gone. It's still somehow his fault.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
It's more of a "winning/ Rangz" culture now than it ever was. And we're worse than we ever were - our young guys are completely unproven, like, they didn't instill confidence that they'd be future all stars last year. This year and 17-18' particularly i guarantee Russell will prove he'll be that - And Ingram probably will too in his sophomore year. Then Free Agents will come that summer, for sure.

No one wants to eat a pie that's been baked for 15 minutes.

We need to cook our pie a bit more; FAs will flock to eat that LA pie soon enough. Just can't continue to serve underbaked pies.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: