does randle really need to be draymond greene?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: does randle really need to be draymond greene?

draymond greene is a unique player who does all things and can play or defend 5 positions. expecting randell to do that is just crazy imo. why cant he make a name for himself instead of trying to be like sombody. he can be the bully version of draymond green and bring his own skills to the floor.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject:

Not really; he's no DG to begin with. Julius just needs to be the best player that Julius Randle can be (whatever that is remains to be seen).

Obviously he needs to work on his defense and his shooting. He also needs to develop some more moves.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject:

to me, Randle's offensive game actually looks more like a less athletic, poor man version of a young LeBron
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
to me, Randle's offensive game actually looks more like a less athletic, poor man version of a young LeBron

I would take all that day and twice on Sunday's.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Um no.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject:

there are many many mannny things he can learn from Draymond but "need" to be him? No. Julius is actually far more gifted than Dray
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
there are many many mannny things he can learn from Draymond but "need" to be him? No. Julius is actually far more gifted than Dray

Far more gifted than Dray? If he is, it's only physically. Dray, and for that matter Curry & Thompson, are extremely intelligent players. It's the main reason we need to stop comparing the two. Jules simply does not have Greene's feel for the game...at least I don't see it and don't expect to.

He's got to find, create, and all that, his own game. His best course is taking elements from DG's game, and maximizing his physical gifts by utilizing them for whatever the team needs most.
Mirjalovic
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject:

no. he can be our Julius Randle that will be Lakers starter for years to come, whatever the haters say.

Last edited by Mirjalovic on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

From the time the guy in Cleveland came into the league he could go coast to coast and dunk....with one hand. Have we ever seen Jules do that?

It was also evident that James could shoot. The only similarity to their games is Randle handles the rock well for a big guy. The guy in Cleveland can handle it, pass it, shoot it, rebound it. I'll chalk up that comment/comparison to the monotony of the summer lull.
Mirjalovic
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
governator wrote:

From the time the guy in Cleveland came into the league he could go coast to coast and dunk....with one hand. Have ever seen Jules do that?

It was also evident that James could shoot. The only similarity to their games is Randle handles the rock well for a big guy. The guy in Cleveland can handle it, pass it, shoot it, rebound it. I'll chalk up that comment/comparison to the monotony of the summer lull.

do you miss "the poor man version" part ? Calm down dude.

and why must be with one hand ? because Julius already did that with two hands ?

lol. unbelievable. Julius, Russell, Clarkson will never be satisfy all Lakers fans. Ingram soon, if Lakers fans find the new and shiny toy. (Tatum ? Westbrook ? Giles ?)
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject:

The obsession with copying every team that wins a ring is ridiculous.
Way back, people wanted or expected Lamar Odom to be Pippen, because Phil was coach and Kobe was a Jordan type of player. Well, Lamar wound up being a really quality 3rd guy on a ring team. The Lakers got Pau to be that 2nd guy, a post presence, anchor, stretch big etc. and it worked just fine a totally different way than the Bulls won.

My point is Randle does not need to become Green or Lamar. He can be who he is, and find a role within a good team that way. The two consistent components need to be defensive effort/impact, and playing according to the coaches plan. Maybe he's a great 6th man. Maybe he's something else. Whatever his role will be eventually, so long as he embraces it, and plays hard/impact defense, he will be a contributer to a championship level team.

The same applies to Russ, Clarkson and Ingram. I think all are top 6 caliber players on offense on a good team. The issue for me is defense, maturity and who will eventually fill the #1 alpha/top guy on a ring team spot. The #1 guy - the guy that does what Curry did for Warriors, James for Cle, Kobe for us, etc. that's what we are truly missing. The rest of the players and pieces can all fit in, so long as they play hard on defense (which in my book is the biggest draw back of Clarkson, Russ, Randle, they do not play hard on D consistently, in contrast Nance does).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject:

Mirjalovic wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
governator wrote:

From the time the guy in Cleveland came into the league he could go coast to coast and dunk....with one hand. Have ever seen Jules do that?

do you miss "the poor man version" part ? Calm down dude.

and why must be with one hand ? because Julius already did that with two hands ?

lol. unbelievable. Julius, Russell, Clarkson will never be satisfy all Lakers fans. Ingram soon, if Lakers fans find the new and shiny toy. (Tatum ? Westbrook ? Giles ?)

Do all of us a favor. Stop telling people to calm down. Talk Basketball. Your demands or whatever they are...totally unnecessary...dude.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject:

What Randle really needs is a reliable outside shot and to tone down those turnovers.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject:

Randle doesnt bring intensity half of what DG brings
nor does randle play any kind of defense. forget at DGs level
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Way back, people wanted or expected Lamar Odom to be Pippen, because Phil was coach and Kobe was a Jordan type of player. Well, Lamar wound up being a really quality 3rd guy on a ring team. The Lakers got Pau to be that 2nd guy, a post presence, anchor, stretch big etc. and it worked just fine a totally different way than the Bulls won.

My point is Randle does not need to become Green or Lamar. He can be who he is, and find a role within a good team that way. The two consistent components need to be defensive effort/impact, and playing according to the coaches plan. Maybe he's a great 6th man. Maybe he's something else. Whatever his role will be eventually, so long as he embraces it, and plays hard/impact defense, he will be a contributer to a championship level team.

The same applies to Russ, Clarkson and Ingram. I think all are top 6 caliber players on offense on a good team. The issue for me is defense, maturity and who will eventually fill the #1 alpha/top guy on a ring team spot. The #1 guy - the guy that does what Curry did for Warriors, James for Cle, Kobe for us, etc. that's what we are truly missing. The rest of the players and pieces can all fit in, so long as they play hard on defense (which in my book is the biggest draw back of Clarkson, Russ, Randle, they do not play hard on D consistently, in contrast Nance does).

Good points, especially about Jules impacting the game defensively. It seems that most of what I read is about "if he can shoot", but this guy has the tools to be a force on defense. His feet moving like he does, his strength, and he has that motor. His shot may or may not pan out, but if he hangs his hat on the defensive end, he'll be just as you stated " a contributor on a championship level team".

Who ascends to the No.1 alpha role is going to be fascinating. Russell is indisputably the leading contender right now, but Ingram has that quiet, confident edge that I'm looking forward to observing at about year 3. Here's the thing, if Jules does develop a fairly consistent shot, the alpha role could be a 3 headed monster that might change according to match ups.

I'm loving all of it though!
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

governator wrote:

Randle's offensive game is a disaster and he's a terrible defender. I have no idea why people are so high on him.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Well said. Agree with pretty much all of this.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject:

Randle may be a better traditional C-PF than Green is already.

They're not similar in skill nor inclination nor physical ability. Green is a hybrid player, not really someone position-definable. To me, Draymond Green is more of a LeBron James style of player who is both more willing to defend post players physically and at the same time less talented as an shooter-driver of the ball.

Randall is someone else entirely.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Well said. Agree with pretty much all of this.

Im not sure if he needs to be DG. He is a good mentor to aspire to. Even if there style isnt 100% the same.

I think the lakes are trying to copy the gsw game plan. I also think it does make sense to try and see if Randle can master Dray style.

That doesnt mean he has to start shooting 40% from 3pt land but maybe try and see if he can be a part time small ball center.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

Randle needs less to worry about being the next best thing, and worry note about learning the basics.

I didn't follow him in college but his play makes me think he relied a lot him being stronger than others.

He's a kid. He's still mentally trying to figure things out. You can see this by how his demeanor after a bad turnover or getting blocked. He knows one speed, one spin move, and no reliable jumper.

But he's young. I'm not big on Julius being the next best thing, but I do agree with other when they ask for patience with him. Hell be a contributor.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
governator wrote:

Randle's offensive game is a disaster and he's a terrible defender. I have no idea why people are so high on him.

Because he's a young Laker. This happens all the time. Its still way too early to definitively say what he will be, but its crazy that people are saying its a given he will be a star one day.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
2019 wrote:

Far more gifted than Dray? If he is, it's only physically. Dray, and for that matter Curry & Thompson, are extremely intelligent players. It's the main reason we need to stop comparing the two. Jules simply does not have Greene's feel for the game...at least I don't see it and don't expect to.

He's got to find, create, and all that, his own game. His best course is taking elements from DG's game, and maximizing his physical gifts by utilizing them for whatever the team needs most.

Randle's first year dominated Green's first year. No doubt about that. Comparing a rookie with a guy close to his prime is really a dumb thing to do.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Randle doesnt bring intensity half of what DG brings
nor does randle play any kind of defense. forget at DGs level

Neither did DG his rookie year. Horrible comparison.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject:

He's intriguing, but doesn't play off the ball, yet isn't good enough for you to take the ball out of other player's hands (yet?) . He isn't putting in a + on the defensive end either. It's up to him and Luke to find ways his immense talent can be channeled into a + contribution. Hopefully BS was inhibiting his team game and enabling lazy defense.

Still very raw. We'll see.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject:

im just trynna figure out why everybody puttin that extra e on that man's name
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: