Is it worth buying a 4K tv?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Is it worth buying a 4K tv?

Or is it better to save the money and get a bigger 1080p one? Broadcasters are still transmitting in 1080i and unless you have a 4K blue ray u will never use the 4K functionality. Am I wrong ? Pls, experts chime in
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:

Depends on what you do most often with your TV and how long you plan to keep it.

4k Blu-Rays will keep coming in the future, and in two years it may be pretty common. If you plan to keep your TV for 5 or 6 years, then you'll have a few years there where you feel like it's old.

Then again... if you buy a nice 1080p TV, you'll save enough money that you could probably get a good 4k one 2 or 3 yrs from now when 4k movies are more common and 4k TVs are cheaper.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject:

Manufacturers are slowing phasing out 1080p tvs....so in a year or two it might be pretty hard to find one. As far as the infrastructure for 4k video, I think it will be a while before they transition to it considering how much bandwidth it takes.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:

if you use it with a high end pc or are planning to use it with the 4k playstation and xboxes coming out. Otherwise there isn't enough content to get one. They're fairly cheap now though so its not like a long term investment. Do your research though. Don't let the sleazy ass salesmen fooling you into thinking you NEED one.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Buy what is mainstream now. Few years back I've bought a 1080pi Samsung HDTV for nearly $2k and now an equivalent set is going for less than $800. It just isn't worth the price premium to stay ahead of the curve.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Buy what is mainstream now. Few years back I've bought a 1080pi Samsung HDTV for nearly $2k and now an equivalent set is going for less than $800. It just isn't worth the price premium to stay ahead of the curve.

TV technology is like where computers used to be....theres always something newer, shinier, more advanced the next year.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Netflix has 4k programming. Also some sports and networks are starting to offer 4k programming depending on your provider.

Is it worth it? I'd say yes.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

TV technology is like where computers used to be....theres always something newer, shinier, more advanced the next year.

Correct which is why paying a premium for "future proofing" is a terrible decision.

To the op, if there's 4K content you, yourself want to view, then yes. If it's to purchase it for when it's "mainstream", then wait.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Buy the best TV for your budget. If you can afford it, go ahead. I needed a new TV because the old one was losing audio both in ports and the built in. I now have a 65js8500. I thought of just getting a 1080p but I went with the best looking picture for my budget at the time. I'm happy with it. Still looks great compared to this year's model and I don't have to deal with the curved fad going on right now. 4K HDR looks superb and the industry itself doesn't know what to do with the standards.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Buy the best TV for your budget. If you can afford it, go ahead. I needed a new TV because the old one was losing audio both in ports and the built in. I now have a 65js8500. I thought of just getting a 1080p but I went with the best looking picture for my budget at the time. I'm happy with it. Still looks great compared to this year's model and I don't have to deal with the curved fad going on right now. 4K HDR looks superb and the industry itself doesn't know what to do with the standards.

Speaking of curved, I just had the chance to check out my buddies pc setup with a 34" 3440 monitor. When I can score one for under $500, I'm jumping on board. It significantly increases immersion. Witcher 3/Fallout 4 is amazing running on a GTX 1080 on it.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Speaking of curved, I just had the chance to check out my buddies pc setup with a 34" 3440 monitor. When I can score one for under $500, I'm jumping on board. It significantly increases immersion. Witcher 3/Fallout 4 is amazing running on a GTX 1080 on it.

On a monitor where your face is within a few feet, I believe it's worth it. On a TV where you're at least 7 feet away, not so much unless you bought a 110" one.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject:

$4, 000 on a TV? (bleep). I would not even spend $300 on a TV. Even if it's new.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Ok, this is a subject that I have recently been involved with. I had a 52" Sharp 1080p tv that I was looking to move into the bedroom and put a larger TV in my living room. I started researching TV's about 9 months ago, and my thoughts were to go BIG, I was looking in the 75" - 79" range.

The VERY BEST TV's that Best Buy had were the OLED's by LG, but they were in the $5,000 range and at least a grand more than I was willing to pay. And the largest was 65". But the 4k OLED's looked simply amazing!

Anyway, last month I found out that there were a series of new LG OLED's, with a few more bells than the previous years models, which meant the last year's model's were greatly discontinued.

I found that BuyDig (aka Beach Camera) had OLED model LG65EF9500 on sale for $3,000 - delivered. They recently went up to $3,499, but there is a vendor on eBay selling them for $2,975-delivered!

If you want to know more about the OLED technology, see this link:
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/oled-tv-what-you-need-to-know-1056228

If you want an unbiased review from CNET, click here:
http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-ef9500/

To recap their review (written Nov-2015): They rate this TV a "10" (out of 10) in DESIGN, FEATURES and PERFORMANCE, in VALUE they give it a "5" due to the cost being at $5,000, but at $3,000, I would gues-timate they would have given it a "10" as well!

MY REVIEW: This is without question the best TV I have ever owned and is absolutely a joy to watch. Don't sweat the lack of 4k content at this time as this TV UP-CONVERTS 1080P signals to 4k! Watching Blu-Rays is phenomenal! I highly recommend an OLED TV to anyone who wants the absolute best picture available.

Now, don't be put off that Sony & Samsung are not using OLED panels, believe me when I say, no matter what they say to the media, they WISH they had OLED's, but since LG has their own OLED factories, it would mean purchasing from their competitor. However, Panasonic and Philips are now buying OLED panels from LG and either now have or will soon have OLED models coming out soon.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Ok, this is a subject that I have recently been involved with. I had a 52" Sharp 1080p tv that I was looking to move into the bedroom and put a larger TV in my living room. I started researching TV's about 9 months ago, and my thoughts were to go BIG, I was looking in the 75" - 79" range.

The VERY BEST TV's that Best Buy had were the OLED's by LG, but they were in the $5,000 range and at least a grand more than I was willing to pay. And the largest was 65". But the 4k OLED's looked simply amazing!

Anyway, last month I found out that there were a series of new LG OLED's, with a few more bells than the previous years models, which meant the last year's model's were greatly discontinued.

I found that BuyDig (aka Beach Camera) had OLED model LG65EF9500 on sale for $3,000 - delivered. They recently went up to $3,499, but there is a vendor on eBay selling them for $2,975-delivered!

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/oled-tv-what-you-need-to-know-1056228

To recap their review (written Nov-2015): They rate this TV a "10" (out of 10) in DESIGN, FEATURES and PERFORMANCE, in VALUE they give it a "5" due to the cost being at $5,000, but at $3,000, I would gues-timate they would have given it a "10" as well!

MY REVIEW: This is without question the best TV I have ever owned and is absolutely a joy to watch. Don't sweat the lack of 4k content at this time as this TV UP-CONVERTS 1080P signals to 4k! Watching Blu-Rays is phenomenal! I highly recommend an OLED TV to anyone who wants the absolute best picture available.

Now, don't be put off that Sony & Samsung are not using OLED panels, believe me when I say, no matter what they say to the media, they WISH they had OLED's, but since LG has their own OLED factories, it would mean purchasing from their competitor. However, Panasonic and Philips are now buying OLED panels from LG and either now have or will soon have OLED models coming out soon.

The input lag is trash, so don't get this if you plan on using it for competitive gaming.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

The input lag is trash, so don't get this if you plan on using it for competitive gaming.

YES, This review is for adults who don't play games, but who want and can afford the best picture...!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Just get an HDR 4k and you will be set for now.....OLED is the best but lets face it they are pretty expensive and the biggest ones you see available are only 65".
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone still make plasma TV's? Nothing I seek has colors and values that look as good as plasas.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Plasma's was discontinued a while ago. I don't think there is such thing as a 4k plasma TV. Panasonic stopped making plasmas and I believe got out of the TV manufacturing business altogether, the new ones you see at Fry's are just Chinese TV's using the Panasonic name.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

With TVs, you pay an enormous premium to have the "latest" tech that will become available for significantly less money in a few years. Ask the people who shelled out for 3D TVs. Or curved TVs. 4K looks incredible on the nature demos at Best Buy but there's still not a ton of content that takes advantage of it. I'd buy a nice 1080p set and pocked the extra cash.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Pfft.

You guys can have your 80 inch 4K tvs. I'm saving up for my Oculus Rift.

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject:

I see 4K TV every day at work and, while I can see the improvement over HDTV, it isn't as significant as the improvement we saw going from SD to HD.

With time, not only do the TVs improve, but also the compression technology for broadcast. Better compression leads to improved picture quality and more channel bandwidth. Right now, we're at the same stage we were at 15-years ago with HDTV content consuming huge amounts of bandwidth.

Until my HDTV breaks or there are enough 4K TV channels to watch I won't be upgrading.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject:

If you feel theres enough 4k source material then go for it. If not, then don't do it. Personally, there isn't for me. It would be a waste of money.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
If you feel theres enough 4k source material then go for it. If not, then don't do it. Personally, there isn't for me. It would be a waste of money.

Most if not all of Netflix original programming is in 4k now. They also have a pretty big selection of movies and shows available in 4k.

I'm not an early adopter by any means but I will say I'm glad I went 4k. I keep my TV's on average 5-7 years. I'm a year into my 4k and don't regret it.

As for the leap between SD/HD vs. HD/4k posted above, I agree. It's not a mind blowing difference however, it is significant enough to go for it.

If you're in the market for a new TV do it. Go 4k. If money is an issue do like me and buy it from a Costco clearance warehouse and get last year's model for 40-60% off to bridge the price gap. There's not a huge difference between a new 2015 4k TV and a new 2016 model.

Also as posted go with the full panel OLED. Don't do LED or "Backlit" LED.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Holding on to my 65" Samsung 1080p LED TV until 4K takes off. Fortunately, 4K TV's are already out, and prices are going to drop by the time 4K content is within arms reach. Only downside is the possibility of something better coming out between now and then. In which case, I'll still be as happy as a bird with a french fry with my 4K.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Depends on the price difference.

But generally, I don't think the difference is worth it. Content is not out there yet, and even where it is, is your broadband good enough to deliver it.

I have 4 LED TVs mounted in my house and none are 4K.

It won't be long before 4K is just the standard max res on TVs so if you can ger a good deal on a 1080p display, do it.

I'm not as excited about 4K as I am about OLED displays.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: