Lou Williams - Keep him or Trade him?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Lou Williams - Keep him or Trade him?

What do you guys the Lakers will decide to do? FO seems to like him and his scoring ability but do you think he should be kept as a 6th man scorer or should that role be given to Clarkson or Ingram?
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject:

Keep him unless the right deal comes along. Used properly, Lou can be a nice bench scorer for us. Obviously, that doesn't involve starting him and playing him 17 straight minutes like Byron did.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:

Tell us the best offer for Williams and we'll tell you if the front office should do it.

Last edited by LakersRGolden on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Keep him unless the right deal comes along. Used properly, Lou can be a nice bench scorer for us. Obviously, that doesn't involve starting him and playing him 17 straight minutes like Byron did.

I agree.

Lou is a very good scorer, he's on par with Jamal Crawford in terms of scoring ability.

But if someone offers something good, I don't think the Lakers will think twice about Lou.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
KBH wrote:

I agree.

Lou is a very good scorer, he's on par with Jamal Crawford in terms of scoring ability.

But if someone offers something good, I don't think the Lakers will think twice about Lou.

I concur...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject:

If Lou was 4 inches taller, and understood what "playing defense" was, he'd be a great player.

Keep him until we can get a deal for a better 3/D SG off the bench.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If Lou was 4 inches taller, and understood what "playing defense" was, he'd be a great player.

Keep him until we can get a deal for a better 3/D SG off the bench.

Yeah.

I wonder who the ideal 3/D SG is though? Any one you know that might interest LA?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject:

You keep him and you make him your 6th man off the bench like he SHOULD have been used last year and has been used for every single year of his career.

Byron being a [expletive] idiot is why people underrate the guy now.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject:

I have no issues with keeping Williams. He is a nice "instant offense" player off the bench. But if the right deal is there I have no problem with replacing him either.

Seems to be an ongoing premise that the Lakers need a back up SG/SF.

Also assumptions that A.Brown is not that player. Perhaps he still can improve?

Personally I would sign Tayshaun Prince today. Add Ingram in the SG rotation and that need is filled IMO.

I just posted this on another thread but it works here too. If the Lakers feel they need to fill that role in the roster at SG/SF 3 and D player. They have the assets to do it.

Any combination of Young, Williams, Brown, two 2nd rd picks and available cap space gives Kupchak a lot of options if he chooses to use them.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject:

Problem is Jim buss thinks he's is part of the core.

Smh
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

Smh

He's just trying to respect the players on the team, 1 thing Jim Buss has is loyalty he believed in Bynum and other Laker players.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject:

Jim was right about Bynum.

we have got a great deal for Lou.. he's getting what? 7 mill a year? that's nothing.

use him as an instant offense kind of guy. instead of a go-to guy like byron did.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

Smh

He's just trying to respect the players on the team, 1 thing Jim Buss has is loyalty he believed in Bynum and other Laker players.

Loyalty to crap players mean jack when you see players like pp/kg getting traded & wade leaving Miami
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject:

Lou has proven that when used properly he can be a great sixth man.
CLW already has a plan ready just enjoy the ride LA.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:

we have got a great deal for Lou.. he's getting what? 7 mill a year? that's nothing.

use him as an instant offense kind of guy. instead of a go-to guy like byron did.

Exactly the opposite.

Lou's deal being "great" is totally meaningless for this lakers team, since by the time they (hopefully) get to contender status, His deal will have already expired.

Teams that can actually take advantage of that contract are current contenders.

All of that ^ is basically the definition of "why a player needs to be traded or his team would be wasting a resource".

* And that's before we even deal with Russell and Clarkson as our two best guards - which means if we have any shot of being a legit contender - we need to make sure that our 3rd best (or imo - 2nd best with Clarkson demoted to 3rd) is a defensive minded guard and not another all offense guy like Lou.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject:

I don't see the team trading Lou anytime soon.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:

7M per and one must wonder why teams aren't lining up in potentially getting a 20PPG scorer every night, I don't see the reason in LA making him untouchable especially since the Lakers know he had a fall out with a good coach in ATL and Toronto didn't even bother offering him a deal, so I don't see the connections in Lou's past circumstances.. i just think the Lakers are asking for to much and teams are hanging up the phone.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Exactly the opposite.

Lou's deal being "great" is totally meaningless for this lakers team, since by the time they (hopefully) get to contender status, His deal will have already expired.

Teams that can actually take advantage of that contract are current contenders.

All of that ^ is basically the definition of "why a player needs to be traded or his team would be wasting a resource".

* And that's before we even deal with Russell and Clarkson as our two best guards - which means if we have any shot of being a legit contender - we need to make sure that our 3rd best (or imo - 2nd best with Clarkson demoted to 3rd) is a defensive minded guard and not another all offense guy like Lou.

Wrong way to look at it.

An all offense 6th man is great to have, particularly against 2nd units.

Lou Williams being utilized as a 6th man gives this team DEPTH. Which is pretty important. It's about using it properly, something Scott has a history of not having a [expletive] idea how to do.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

7M per and one must wonder why teams aren't lining up in potentially getting a 20PPG scorer every night, I don't see the reason in LA making him untouchable especially since the Lakers know he had a fall out with a good coach in ATL and Toronto didn't even bother offering him a deal, so I don't see the connections in Lou's past circumstances.. i just think the Lakers are asking for to much and teams are hanging up the phone.

Who said the Lakers were making him untouchable? The Lakers need bench scoring and Lou provides that. There's no reason to move him unless you're getting commensurate value back.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject:

Depends if we can get a player who's a better fit. I think they need a defensive guard more than what Lou can provide.

Last edited by greenfrog on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject:

I'd keep Lou to start the season as he's one of the best bench scorers in the league and has one of the best contracts in the league.

At the trade deadline I think a few teams could be very interested in him and we could get back some young players, cap space or draft picks.

Or if we are in the hunt for the 8th seed package him with Calderon and some 2 round picks to try and make a playoff push.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Who said the Lakers were making him untouchable? The Lakers need bench scoring and Lou provides that. There's no reason to move him unless you're getting commensurate value back.

That's exactly the problem, Lou has never been good enough for teams to give back a relevant value.

Sure he has a chance to be a difference maker next year.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject:

I'm not a fan and i think he's a bad fit. I hope he proves me wrong this season. if the lakers could get a good deal in return then trade him, but I'm not in favor of just getting rid of him for practically nothing. For all his faults, he can get buckets off the bench.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject:

For example if the Rockets signed and traded Montiejunas for Lou it would be good value for both teams as we will finally have a stretch 4 and MDA gets someone who can thrive in his 7 secs or less offense.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject:

6th man? what about Nick young?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: