Lou Williams - Keep him or Trade him?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject:

The team's future 6th man at guard for when they'll be able to contend for a title is Clarkson.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I don't see the team trading Lou anytime soon.

At 7m, he's fine to keep or include in a trade. He's a modestly decent trade asset.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
The team's future 6th man at guard for when they'll be able to contend for a title is Clarkson.

Bingo.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:

Bingo.

So why not capitalize on a great asset like Lou instead of having that resource waste away until it's gone ?
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
KBH wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
Jim was right about Bynum.

we have got a great deal for Lou.. he's getting what? 7 mill a year? that's nothing.

use him as an instant offense kind of guy. instead of a go-to guy like byron did.

7M per and one must wonder why teams aren't lining up in potentially getting a 20PPG scorer every night, I don't see the reason in LA making him untouchable especially since the Lakers know he had a fall out with a good coach in ATL and Toronto didn't even bother offering him a deal, so I don't see the connections in Lou's past circumstances.. i just think the Lakers are asking for to much and teams are hanging up the phone.

Who said the Lakers were making him untouchable? The Lakers need bench scoring and Lou provides that. There's no reason to move him unless you're getting commensurate value back.

That's exactly the problem, Lou has never been good enough for teams to give back a relevant value.

Sure he has a chance to be a difference maker next year.

The fact that the Lakers haven't yet traded him isn't proof that Lou has no value. It likely means the Lakers are not actively trying to move him because they want his bench scoring or they haven't come across something they'd move Lou for.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:

Bingo.

So why not capitalize on a great asset like Lou instead of having that resource waste away until it's gone ?

I'm not sure the Lakers are on the championship or bust mentality now. I'm sure they'll listen to offers for him should good ones arise.

I'm just concerned about the perimeter defense with DLO/JC/Calderon/Lou/Huertas. Yikes. Put Brown in but he can't score.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:

Bingo.

They are capitalizing on Lou by playing him. Using their logic they should trade everyone, and then trade all those players they just traded for so they don't waste away until they are gone.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject:

It'll be interesting to see how Luke staggers the minutes.

DLO/JC to start.

Who comes in first off the bench? Calderon/Lou/Huertas?
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:

Bingo.

I'm not sure the Lakers are on the championship or bust mentality now. I'm sure they'll listen to offers for him should good ones arise.

I'm just concerned about the perimeter defense with DLO/JC/Calderon/Lou/Huertas. Yikes. Put Brown in but he can't score.

And I have the same concerns.

That means that not only is he very unlikely to be a part of the future, he's also not a huge asset for the present...

As far as I'm concerned, all the check marks are there for wanting to trade a player.
Sure, you need to be smart about it, not just show your hand and perhaps hold off till the deadline, but in principle - we have every reason to move him.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:

Bingo.

They are capitalizing on Lou by playing him. Using their logic they should trade everyone, and then trade all those players they just traded for so they don't waste away until they are gone.

Yeah, yeah.
And the minute they do trade Lou you would be the first one to post about how smart they were to do that...

Age and contract matter.
Even if you can't see that.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:

And you aren't getting a shooting guard that would legitimately start over Clarkson in a trade with Lou Williams. You'd get that guard in free agency, in which case you don't lose WIlliams or Clarkson.

Like I said, the Lakers aim is to build a playoff team by 2018, so they can then go after free agents like Westbrook or Cousins.

Cause truth of the matter is, if we aren't a playoff team by 2018, neither Westbrook or Cousins will even have a sit down with us.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

I so hope Cousins doesn't want a sit down with us.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject:

Can't think of many playoff teams that wouldn't want Cousins tbh.

If OKC could have gotten rid of Kanter and Adams for Cousins they'd likely do it.

Portland would probably love to pair him with Lillard and McCollum

Cause when you're a playoff team you're looking for something to put you over the top. And Cousins on a contending team changes the landscape a bit because suddenly all the 'good' teams that run small ball can't against this roster in particular because having that dominant big slows them down.

Offensively, Cousins fits, it's asking him to lead your team that is the question.

No question that he's the best center in the game right now though, so I'd figure a team that's making the playoffs but just needs to break through, would sign and will go after Cousins in a heartbeat.

He isn't taking a 47 win team and turning them into a 27 win team. He's likely taking a 47 win team and turning them into a 54-55 win team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:

Man, watching Boogie in even Olympic play, the formula is to PnR him to death. Not sure he'll ever be an average PnR defender, especially as he ages.

WB, he'll be what, 29 when he's a FA? I may pass on that. Not enthused to hand out a possible 35m/year deal for 4 years.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I so hope Cousins doesn't want a sit down with us.

hmm

oh i don't want Melo,
I am going to pay Melo only 13/14m per year
Give Melo the damm max

been there, seen that

Last edited by Jim99187 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject:

Still talking about Lou. As a 7 mil 6th man, he's fine. Or you can make up some fantasy trade scenarios that will probably never happen and aren't even available. But hey, I know it's fun playing fantasy gm.

Last edited by Vancouver Fan on Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject:

I think Lou will be remembered as part of transitional bridge. I don't see him being a key cog when the Lakers get back in the playoffs, most likely a few years.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Lou will be remembered as part of transitional bridge. I don't see him being a key cog when the Lakers get back in the playoffs, most likely a few years.

He's the new Sedale Threatt!
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject:

I would prefer more of a better off the ball player to compliment JC and DLO instead of another ball dominant guard like Lou off the bench (Seth Curry). With that said, I think Lou will be able to take some pressure off of Ingram on the 2nd unit and he is on a dirt cheap contact.

Another thing is with Calderon and Marcelo around, it could be major minutes reduction for Lou (16-20MPG) which would diminish his value.

Marco Belinelli was able to pick up a 1st in the 20's after a bad year so I would guess Lou's value would be somewhat similar. But would the Lakers be looking for more future draft assets or players?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject:

It would help a lot in moving Lou if A.Brown proved he could knock down open shots and find a place in the rotation for 12-14MPG
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Man, watching Boogie in even Olympic play, the formula is to PnR him to death. Not sure he'll ever be an average PnR defender, especially as he ages.

WB, he'll be what, 29 when he's a FA? I may pass on that. Not enthused to hand out a possible 35m/year deal for 4 years.

Exactly. I had begun writing posts in the Mozgov thread about how I really didn't like that the Lakers killed their 2018/ 2019 free agency 2 max options.

But the more I thought about it, the more I realized the only guy that makes is Paul George. I think Boogie is flawed, and Westbrook is going to be on the decline --- and this is assuming there's even interest back our way.

Not getting into the whole Mozgov deal or anything, but yeah I definitely have PG as my pipe dream for the near future.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Exactly. I had begun writing posts in the Mozgov thread about how I really didn't like that the Lakers killed their 2018/ 2019 free agency 2 max options.

But the more I thought about it, the more I realized the only guy that makes is Paul George. I think Boogie is flawed, and Westbrook is going to be on the decline --- and this is assuming there's even interest back our way.

Not getting into the whole Mozgov deal or anything, but yeah I definitely have PG as my pipe dream for the near future.

Me too. PG13/Ingram/DLO would be a freakin' nightmare to teams.

However, my concern is that Indy will do a pre-extension extension ala WB/Harden.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:

Bingo.

If he helps them win games, it's not wasting away until he's gone. But I agree that the Lakers should be actively shopping him. I just don't know what need the Lakers have, since they have most positions filled (their players are just young).

A 3&D 2, sure, but are you going to find one with Lou?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Me too. PG13/Ingram/DLO would be a freakin' nightmare to teams.

However, my concern is that Indy will do a pre-extension extension ala WB/Harden.

These only add a year, though, yeah? I mean the player gets the player option at the end, and their last year is restructured, so they make more money overall.

But as far as I can tell, it's really only delaying UFA by one year. I'll take George in 2019; even if it makes the salary stuff harder.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
davidse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:

Bingo.

If he helps them win games, it's not wasting away until he's gone. But I agree that the Lakers should be actively shopping him. I just don't know what need the Lakers have, since they have most positions filled (their players are just young).

A 3&D 2, sure, but are you going to find one with Lou?

Most likely looking at a draft pick and a throw in to match salaries. We have been pretty good at acquiring throw ins in the past though (Ariza, Hill, Bazemore, Adam Morrison )

Gary Neal and Kevin Martin are also still free agents if we were to deal Lou and could provide some of what Lou provided in theory. But in reality the Lakers like Lou and we will probably keep him throughout his cheap contract.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: