Marc Stein: Lakers trying to get Yi Jianlian back to NBA (LAT: 1 year deal)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Can't believe people have so much discussion on a player who I don't think will play more than 10 minutes a game.

We should have discussions, cause Yi has just as big of a presence in the international game as Dirk/Pau and others have.

We should be excited cause there is a good chance that Yi is gonna help us.

if he can help keep those Chinese tv sets on Laker games, he's worth every penny. Maybe he could pick a fight with Nick Young, get them both booted off the team, that would be pretty valuable too... I'd say that would be worth every lost penny in salary for the both of them...

He's here to help the team and also give Chinese fans a reason to watch there homegrown help other teams win... Marketing to me is someone who is a superstar and Yi is not a superstar.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Can't believe people have so much discussion on a player who I don't think will play more than 10 minutes a game.

We should have discussions, cause Yi has just as big of a presence in the international game as Dirk/Pau and others have.

if he can help keep those Chinese tv sets on Laker games, he's worth every penny. Maybe he could pick a fight with Nick Young, get them both booted off the team, that would be pretty valuable too... I'd say that would be worth every lost penny in salary for the both of them...

He's here to help the team and also give Chinese fans a reason to watch there homegrown help other teams win... Marketing to me is someone who is a superstar and Yi is not a superstar.

Yi is a superstar in China, he's the best player they have. Kinda like Sasha Vujacic, wasn't a superstar here but he was over there. Got himself a 'superstar' gf
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Yi is a superstar in China, he's the best player they have. Kinda like Sasha Vujacic, wasn't a superstar here but he was over there. Got himself a 'superstar' gf

I guess having addional view audience is a good thing to have, but I'm sure the big reason in getting Yi is to help stretch the floor.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
governator wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

I guess having addional view audience is a good thing to have, but I'm sure the big reason in getting Yi is to help stretch the floor.

nah, more like, "stretch the audience". He's not a long term solution anywhere for us. Zubalicious hopefully will start pushing Mozzy for minutes next year and the 3rd year, push Mozzy aside. Hopefully Julius steps it up as unquestioned starter and Nance becomes valuable off the bench as PF/C. Yi can hopefully prove himself enough this year that he can go off somewhere else to cash in.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
governator wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

nah, more like, "stretch the audience". He's not a long term solution anywhere for us. Zubalicious hopefully will start pushing Mozzy for minutes next year and the 3rd year, push Mozzy aside. Hopefully Julius steps it up as unquestioned starter and Nance becomes valuable off the bench as PF/C. Yi can hopefully prove himself enough this year that he can go off somewhere else to cash in.

Short term, he's a solution, cause he's gonna be our best stretch big man, while Deng can focus more on 'D'.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Another thing to consider is that Yi is insurance in case Moz goes down for an extended period. The only other 7-footer on the roster is Ivica. While I love Zubac he's not ready to get regular minutes.

Someone gets it, on all counts.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject:

LakeShow06 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Another thing to consider is that Yi is insurance in case Moz goes down for an extended period. The only other 7-footer on the roster is Ivica. While I love Zubac he's not ready to get regular minutes.

Can Yi play the 5?
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakeShow06 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Can Yi play the 5?

Small ball 5, yes. He's a legit 7 footer with PF/SF skills.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakeShow06 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Can Yi play the 5?

Perfect modern day C.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakeShow06 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Can Yi play the 5?

Perfect modern day C.

I don't think Yi is the type to replace Moz if he goes down but he is depth and good change of small ball offense that we can throw at teams. As summer league showed Ivica is far ahead of where we thought he would be and even the coaching staff has said that he will likely get good minutes during the regular season.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakeShow06 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Can Yi play the 5?

Perfect modern day C.

I don't think Yi is the type to replace Moz if he goes down but he is depth and good change of small ball offense that we can throw at teams. As summer league showed Ivica is far ahead of where we thought he would be and even the coaching staff has said that he will likely get good minutes during the regular season.

This is why I don't mind taking a chance on Larry Sanders.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lowest Merion wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
lakerhaterhater wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
What did all the discontented people wanted to see that cap space spent on?

How about..let's see..a guard who can play defence.

Such as???

This seems to be as specific as the whinging gets around here. "How about a wing?!" Name a player, please. At least the one guy who thought Whiteside could've been had for 25 million a year named an actual alternative usage of cap space.

I'd rather the Lakers signed no one than signing Yi.

That makes no sense.

"I would rather have 14 players on the roster than 15" is a bizarre preference and sounds to me like "I don't have any ideas of my own, I just want to complain."
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lowest Merion wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
lakerhaterhater wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Such as???

This seems to be as specific as the whinging gets around here. "How about a wing?!" Name a player, please. At least the one guy who thought Whiteside could've been had for 25 million a year named an actual alternative usage of cap space.

That makes no sense.

"I would rather have 14 players on the roster than 15" is a bizarre preference and sounds to me like "I don't have any ideas of my own, I just want to complain."

Having a 15th player disqualifies you from waiver pickups during the season. Other than that there's no real downside.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lowest Merion wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
lakerhaterhater wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Such as???

That makes no sense.

Having a 15th player disqualifies you from waiver pickups during the season. Other than that there's no real downside.

You can always...waive players to make room too.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lowest Merion wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
lakerhaterhater wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Such as???

That makes no sense.

You can always...waive players to make room too.

That won't actually work. You'd have to put that player on waivers, and by the time he clears, so will the guy you want to claim. But the Lakers aren't angling to be the worst team, and aren't building their team around waiver claim ability.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject:

I'm saying, near the waiver deadline, can cut loose players to have roster space.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject:

Yeah, we might miss out on the next Carlos Boozer.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

no idea why people are complaining about a 13/14/15th guy on the team
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

Did we actually sign Yi?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

At minimum I'd say he's a 12th man. Zubac doesn't have a prayer of seeing time if Yi signs.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lowest Merion wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
lakerhaterhater wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Such as???

That makes no sense.

Hopefully we'll be back to 14 once Nick Young is waived, that's all I ask.
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Signing now official:http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/160822jianlian

Quote:
EL SEGUNDO - The Los Angeles Lakers have signed forward/center Yi Jianlian, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released.

“We’re excited to have a player of his worldwide accomplishments,” said Kupchak. “We look forward to bringing him to training camp and hopefully having him make an impact on our team.”

Yi, who hails from the Guangdong Province in China, recently concluded competing for his country at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, averaging 20.4 points (3rd overall in group play competition), 6.6 rebounds (6th), 1.4 steals (t-6th), and 1.0 blocks (t-6th) per game over his five contests while shooting 46.7% from three-point range.

Drafted with the sixth overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft by the Milwaukee Bucks, Yi last appeared in the NBA with the Dallas Mavericks during the 2011-12 season. Over his five-year NBA career, the 6’11’’ Yi averaged 7.9 points, 4.9 rebounds, and 0.7 blocks in 22.2 minutes per game over 272 contests (163 starts) with the Bucks, New Jersey Nets, Washington Wizards, and Mavericks.

Prior to joining the NBA, the 28-year-old played professionally for the Guangdong Southern Tigers of the Chinese Basketball Association beginning in 2002, and played the last four seasons with the organization as well. He is a four-time CBA champion, eight-time CBA MVP, and two-time CBA Finals MVP, in addition to a decorated international career that includes winning three gold medals at the FIBA Asia Championships (2015, 2011, and 2005) and gold at the 2006 Asian Games.
Golden_Emperor_24K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
Signing now official:http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/160822jianlian

Quote:
EL SEGUNDO - The Los Angeles Lakers have signed forward/center Yi Jianlian, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released.

“We’re excited to have a player of his worldwide accomplishments,” said Kupchak. “We look forward to bringing him to training camp and hopefully having him make an impact on our team.”

Yi, who hails from the Guangdong Province in China, recently concluded competing for his country at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, averaging 20.4 points (3rd overall in group play competition), 6.6 rebounds (6th), 1.4 steals (t-6th), and 1.0 blocks (t-6th) per game over his five contests while shooting 46.7% from three-point range.

Drafted with the sixth overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft by the Milwaukee Bucks, Yi last appeared in the NBA with the Dallas Mavericks during the 2011-12 season. Over his five-year NBA career, the 6’11’’ Yi averaged 7.9 points, 4.9 rebounds, and 0.7 blocks in 22.2 minutes per game over 272 contests (163 starts) with the Bucks, New Jersey Nets, Washington Wizards, and Mavericks.

Prior to joining the NBA, the 28-year-old played professionally for the Guangdong Southern Tigers of the Chinese Basketball Association beginning in 2002, and played the last four seasons with the organization as well. He is a four-time CBA champion, eight-time CBA MVP, and two-time CBA Finals MVP, in addition to a decorated international career that includes winning three gold medals at the FIBA Asia Championships (2015, 2011, and 2005) and gold at the 2006 Asian Games.

welcome to the Lakers Yi! imressive olympics stats hope he carry that over here.
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/160822jianlian

Quote:

Mitch managing expectations with that quote - Yi's spot on the roster doesn't seem guaranteed
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
cmonkee wrote:
http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/160822jianlian

Quote:

Mitch managing expectations with that quote - Yi's spot on the roster doesn't seem guaranteed

That's what he said about Metta last season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 35 of 36
Jump to: