Marc Stein: Lakers trying to get Yi Jianlian back to NBA (LAT: 1 year deal)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Golden_Emperor_24K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
cmonkee wrote:
http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/160822jianlian

Quote:
“We’re excited to have a player of his worldwide accomplishments,” said Kupchak. “We look forward to bringing him to training camp and hopefully having him make an impact on our team.”

Mitch managing expectations with that quote - Yi's spot on the roster doesn't seem guaranteed

I think the signing is official..no way he gives up his deal in china to come here for a camp invite just to make the team. Luke could explore occasional lineups with both Yi and Mozgov in the lineup. Having 2 7fters who can run the floor, spread the floor and block shots at the same time is a great mismatch for the opposing team.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Golden_Emperor_24K wrote:
cmonkee wrote:
cmonkee wrote:

Quote:
“We’re excited to have a player of his worldwide accomplishments,” said Kupchak. “We look forward to bringing him to training camp and hopefully having him make an impact on our team.”

Mitch managing expectations with that quote - Yi's spot on the roster doesn't seem guaranteed

I think the signing is official..no way he gives up his deal in china to come here for a camp invite just to make the team. Luke could explore occasional lineups with both Yi and Mozgov in the lineup. Having 2 7fters who can run the floor, spread the floor and block shots at the same time is a great mismatch for the opposing team.

Why not? From the website I saw, he makes around $350K in China. It isn't much compared to a vet minimum contract. And if he doesn't make the team, China ain't going anywhere, it will be there for him if he gets cut.
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject:

It's a camp deal in the same way Metta's deal last year was a camp deal aka it's not really a camp deal.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Golden_Emperor_24K wrote:
cmonkee wrote:
cmonkee wrote:

Quote:

Why not? From the website I saw, he makes around $350K in China. It isn't much compared to a vet minimum contract. And if he doesn't make the team, China ain't going anywhere, it will be there for him if he gets cut.

I read it was over 3 mil, not 350k.
HeatCandela
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Sorry but I'm not really a fan of this signing, then again I didn't like the Huertas and Calderon deals too but now I realize we need those dudes....anyway welcome to Lakers, Yi.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm hoping given the freedom to just go out and play Basketball, shoot the open shot, play hard, rebound, push the ball up floor and make plays will allow Yi to gain some confidence and realize his potential in a D'antoni style system...He has all the tools just needs confidence to go out and play.

I'm very happy with this offseason. Veteran, no nonsense players to surround our youth with. International players with lots of bball skill. Its up to Luke and staff to get the guys playing as a team.
lakerhaterhater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
lakerhaterhater wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
What did all the discontented people wanted to see that cap space spent on?

How about..let's see..a guard who can play defence.

Such as???

This seems to be as specific as the whinging gets around here. "How about a wing?!" Name a player, please. At least the one guy who thought Whiteside could've been had for 25 million a year named an actual alternative usage of cap space.

I think you can navigate your way through sort able advanced stats, this is not a challenge.
lakerhaterhater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
lakerhaterhater wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Such as???

This seems to be as specific as the whinging gets around here. "How about a wing?!" Name a player, please. At least the one guy who thought Whiteside could've been had for 25 million a year named an actual alternative usage of cap space.

I think you can navigate your way through sort able advanced stats, this is not a challenge. If it is though, I can oblige you
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject:

lakerhaterhater wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
lakerhaterhater wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Such as???

I think you can navigate your way through sort able advanced stats, this is not a challenge. If it is though, I can oblige you

Please oblige
socaguy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
It's a camp deal in the same way Metta's deal last year was a camp deal aka it's not really a camp deal.

yup.. it makes sense aka it does not really make sense
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject:

HeatCandela wrote:
Sorry but I'm not really a fan of this signing, then again I didn't like the Huertas and Calderon deals too but now I realize we need those dudes....anyway welcome to Lakers, Yi.
Even if we didn't need Calderon the deal was excellent just for procuring the team two draft picks
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject:

I think Yi makes the team....hope the move pays off
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject:

LakeShow06 wrote:
I think Yi makes the team....hope the move pays off

I don't think there's any question he'll make the team. I doubt he left a big payday in China (and MVP status in their league) to miss the team.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject:

Regardless of low expectations I'll be cheering or him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject:

When the Lakers make a big deal about a signing, show the pictures of Yi in the uniform and show the signing on social media, it means they intend on keeping him.

You don't see Auguste get any of that do you?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject:

lakerhaterhater wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
lakerhaterhater wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Such as???

It is odd that you would challenge me to guess the players you think would be money better spent rather than type them yourself. Instead, I'm going to assume you have no ideas of your own and just want to complain for the sake of complaining.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
lakerhaterhater wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
lakerhaterhater wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Such as???

It is odd that you would challenge me to guess the players you think would be money better spent rather than type them yourself. Instead, I'm going to assume you have no ideas of your own and just want to complain for the sake of complaining.

Bingo.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject:

http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1085419

" Yi Jianlian's contract includes games played bonuses"

Some insight into Yi's deal. This contract heavily favors the Lakers.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:

It is set up nicely for a potential trade, but to think it favors the Lakers is silly. Why would they sign a player for a contract like that and then not play him to save money? Fails the logic test.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

It is set up nicely for a potential trade, but to think it favors the Lakers is silly. Why would they sign a player for a contract like that and then not play him to save money? Fails the logic test.

Someone broke it down nicely on SS&R:

Quote:
Yi can be traded on 12/15
Yi’s vet minimum salary of $1.139M is guaranteed if he’s on the team on 1/10/17, until then he’s only guaranteed $250,000
Yi will receive $2.287M for basically every 20 games played (20 games, 40 games, 59 games)

If you’re still complaining on this low risk, high reward, highly team-friendly contract…you have some biases that will need to be sorted out. It’s not hyperbole but this could be the most team friendly contract in the history of the NBA to the point where Pincus thinks this specific contract will be addressed at the next CBA and that they might be some copy-cat contracts like this soon.

Quote:
So whatever the Lakers paid him is the amount that will affect his cap space. So if he sucks during training camp and they waive him, it’ll only be $250k. If he hit some bonuses (let’s say $2M) and then waive him, then it’ll be a $2Mish cap hit.

Basically, the Lakers have the option and flexibility to pay him whatever he’s worth to them without risk.

The logic is that he'll have to earn the PT, which is why only 250k is guaranteed right now. If he has a subpar showing in training camp and then the preseason, they could just as easily waive him to save money. The rest of the money will only be guaranteed if he earns the playing time over Black and Zubac. Luke won't play him just because it's in Yi's best interest to make money. He'll only play him because he has beat out other guys for rotation time.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Incentive bonuses in Yi Jianlian’s Lakers contract would septuple his salary if he plays 59 games

Dan Feldman
NBC Sports•August 25, 2016
Quote:
Yi Jianlian’s unconventional contract terms with the Lakers had slowly emerged. He’ll earn somewhere between $250,000 and $8 million next season, $1,139,123 just for remaining on the roster through Jan. 10. But that left a huge sum to unknown incentive bonuses. Now, they’re known. Yi can trigger $2,286,959 bonuses for hitting three benchmarks based on games played, according to Basketball Insiders. Here’s the running total for those incentives: 20-39 games played: $2,286,959 40-58 games played: $4,573,918 59+ games played:$6,860,877 Whether or not he plays or is even active, Yi will earn $6,701 each day he’s on the roster from Oct. 25 until Jan. 10 (with a guaranteed minimum of $250,000 in total

http://sports.yahoo.com/m/65bdcd2e-f71f-3bfe-ac22-0ba74f0b0995/ss_report%3A-incentive-bonuses-in.html?nhp=1
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

Quote:
Yi’s vet minimum salary of $1.139M is guaranteed if he’s on the team on 1/10/17, until then he’s only guaranteed $250,000
Yi will receive $2.287M for basically every 20 games played (20 games, 40 games, 59 games)

If you’re still complaining on this low risk, high reward, highly team-friendly contract…you have some biases that will need to be sorted out. It’s not hyperbole but this could be the most team friendly contract in the history of the NBA to the point where Pincus thinks this specific contract will be addressed at the next CBA and that they might be some copy-cat contracts like this soon.

Quote:
So whatever the Lakers paid him is the amount that will affect his cap space. So if he sucks during training camp and they waive him, it’ll only be $250k. If he hit some bonuses (let’s say $2M) and then waive him, then it’ll be a $2Mish cap hit.

Basically, the Lakers have the option and flexibility to pay him whatever he’s worth to them without risk.

The logic is that he'll have to earn the PT, which is why only 250k is guaranteed right now. If he has a subpar showing in training camp and then the preseason, they could just as easily waive him to save money. The rest of the money will only be guaranteed if he earns the playing time over Black and Zubac. Luke won't play him just because it's in Yi's best interest to make money. He'll only play him because he has beat out other guys for rotation time.

Great post! Gives insight into how the FO views Yi!
George W Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject:

If he plays well consistently before the All Star week, he may be selected to the All Star team by popular vote (the Chinese factor)
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

You are not thinking like a GM. Yi's contract is trade bait - his contract could be very enticing for a team trying to shed salary. They would give us assets to dump $8 million off their books.

It can also be used as contract filler. We basically absorbed Calderon's contract for the picks just to. You can't do the during the regular season because there's not a whole lot of cap space, so what you do is sign a guy like Yi to this kind of contract, and then you have a nice trade chip to use during the regular season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36
Page 36 of 36
Jump to: