Cajon Pass Detour...Anyone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Cajon Pass Detour...Anyone?

Two of my sister's are stuck up in Victorville since last night. Fortunately, they each were wise enough to shut down their respective stores to get to a hotel. Trying to figure out a way to get them home...anyone? That fire seems to be unabated. Looks insane...

The 2 routes I see possible are the 18 down through Big Bear and to the 210 or the 18 the other way towards Palmdale. Wait it out or head out?
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Have them wait it out...in Vegas.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject:

These wildfires are pretty bad....with the drought going on as long as it is, there is a lot of fuel to burn.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Either route is 3-4 hours down the hill.

I've been reading a lot about this fire and it doesn't look like it's going to be out anytime soon.

They may be stuck up the for a while if they don't make the drive around.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cajon Pass Detour...Anyone?

jonnybravo wrote:
Two of my sister's are stuck up in Victorville since last night. Fortunately, they each were wise enough to shut down their respective stores to get to a hotel. Trying to figure out a way to get them home...anyone? That fire seems to be unabated. Looks insane...

The 2 routes I see possible are the 18 down through Big Bear and to the 210 or the 18 the other way towards Palmdale. Wait it out or head out?

Not sure where they want to end up, but best bet is probably the 18 to the 14 and then the 5. 90 minutes get you to Santa Clarita. It has the most freeway versus mountain driving.

The problem with the 15 is not really the fire at this point, it's the amount of guardrail replacement they have to do to make the freeway safe. I don't think it's going to be open soon enough to just wait it out, and once it is it's going to be a massive jam.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Go East through Lucerne Valley and up into Big Bear. Where's their destination? There are 2 ways down on the other side. If they do hit the 210 westbound, tell them to get off on Ayala for some beers and swimming.

The drive itself is kind of pleasant that way. I'd tell them to hit the road bud.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Thanks everyone. One's home is in Rancho Cucamonga, another is in Yorba Linda. I think the Big Bear route is more feasible. I only included the Palmdale way because I thought I saw some fires around big bear, but it fortunately looks just like a small isolated one that's no longer showing up. Just suggested to them to head out mid day tomorrow and hotel it up one more night. Was worried because the reports last night said detours were backed up for 100 miles...no idea what that even means as neither of those paths are anywhere near that long. Google maps shows the 18 around Big Bear clear so hopefully it'll be that way tomorrow.

@ Legacy - What's the two ways? The only way down the hill from Big Bear that I see is through Big Bear and west past Arrowhead and south down 138 onto the 210?
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject:

18, to the 330, to the 210 is the fastest way if you live westbound. The 138 is garbage unless they want to sight see in Lake Arrowhead. Which can be pretty awesome. My mom lives in Big Bear and it takes me 45-50 minutes (google maps says 1 hour 7 minutes) to climb that mountain from Rialto.

The other way is down the 38 which spits you out in Mentone/Redlands/Yucaipa.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/34.1362331,-117.4519532/34.2509396,-116.9088753/@34.1464914,-117.4113003,13z/data=
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Also, if they're staying on or near Bear Valley road, they can cut some time by going east on that road straight onto the 18 into Lucerne Valley.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject:

^ They'll both be heading down Bear Valley. Good looking out. 330 looks like the way to go.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Hope they get home safe brotha.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:

most direct route is taking a back road to the 138 and hooking up with the 18 down the hill. But this is attracting a bulk of the traffic. Just imagine a large chunk of the usual traffic of the 5 lane cajon pass 15 freeway being squeezed down a mountainous 1 lane highway.
Second option is going all the way out to the Lucerne Valley and then riding up the mountain through big bear. Pretty big detour.
Third option is going out through the Lucerne valley and rolling all the away around the SB mountains to the Yucca Valley and down to the 10 freeway where you almost to Palm Springs. Huge detour.
When I had to pass through on Tuesday going north bound I chose the third option because I kept hearing reports of traffic being completely halted at 15 minutes at a time up the mountains. Not sure if it ended up being a longer commute but I actually enjoyed the scenic drive on a route I never took.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject:

I got screwed on Tuesday.

I took the day off from work to pick my mom up from the airport and on my way back, the 15 N through the Cajon Pass was closed so I had to back track about 10 miles to the 210 W and connect with the 14 via the 5.

This detour added about 100 miles to my commute home. Fortunately, the 15 is opened back up.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Thanks everyone. 2 nights in a hotel but the 15 opened up this morning and they're back down the hill for the weekend .
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
@ Legacy - What's the two ways? The only way down the hill from Big Bear that I see is through Big Bear and west past Arrowhead and south down 138 onto the 210?

The other goes out the opposite direction (not past the dam, but through BBC) and down the 38, which dumps you out in Redlands. It's longer than the 18, but mostly straighter, and can be faster given traffic & conditions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject:

glad your sisters made it home JB!

I was banned or else I would have PM'd you that the 15 south bound had opened up Wednesday night
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: