OFFICIAL YI JIANLIAN THREAD....GOODBYE YI....ASKED TO BE WAIVED!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
IMO two pre-season games have not really provided us w/ enough info on him. But he definitely needs to step it up in the next game or two.

Yi needs more time to adjust to the speed of the game and the competition level of the NBA.

Will he get there in time? We shall see, that's what teams do in the pre-season.

The jury is still out on him and the clock is ticking.

Yeah I hope Walton gives him a chance as the first big off the bench for at least one game, to see how he fits along. Last night first few plays I actually liked his ability to set the screen and pop. Just unfortunate towards the end he was playing with a bunch of scrubs.

Yi is the type of player that can fit well within a team construct but when it comes to creating for himself its not ideal. He needs to go out and play hard, set screens, rebound, use his mobility to defend pick and roll on perimeter, and space the floor for the team.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
pio2u wrote:
IMO two pre-season games have not really provided us w/ enough info on him. But he definitely needs to step it up in the next game or two.

Yi needs more time to adjust to the speed of the game and the competition level of the NBA.

Will he get there in time? We shall see, that's what teams do in the pre-season.

Yeah I hope Walton gives him a chance as the first big off the bench for at least one game, to see how he fits along. Last night first few plays I actually liked his ability to set the screen and pop. Just unfortunate towards the end he was playing with a bunch of scrubs.

Yi is the type of player that can fit well within a team construct but when it comes to creating for himself its not ideal. He needs to go out and play hard, set screens, rebound, use his mobility to defend pick and roll on perimeter, and space the floor for the team.

The potential is there. He's proven that on the international level.
Yi just needs to find a way to translate and incorporate that into his NBA game.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Yi just needs to find a way to translate and incorporate that into his NBA game.

Yeah would be interesting to see a Huertas/Russell/Young/nance/Yi lineup at some point. Hahah I'm so set on having Huertas and Russell play together it needs to happen.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
pio2u wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Yeah would be interesting to see a Huertas/Russell/Young/nance/Yi lineup at some point. Hahah I'm so set on having Huertas and Russell play together it needs to happen.

At some point I'm sure that Luke will explore all of his options.
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject:

If yi gets cut a team like the spurs will pick him up, would be perfect as Boban's replacement.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Yi is definitely on the bubble to make the roster, and even if he makes the team as the 15th or 14th man, I doubt he's going to see many minutes on the court. JR/Mozgov/LNJ/Black pretty much have the frontcourt minutes locked up. Luol Deng can give us minutes at the 4 as well, and Zubac has shown a lot of promise. Not sure where that places Yi minutes wise unless there is an injury. I doubt he will see consistent minutes. I'm not sure why he would leave a country where he is a star and adored by millions for a pay cut (doubt he reaches his contract incentives without playing time) and a chance to sit on the bench for an 82 games.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Yi Jianlian: Four Years Later, Still The Same Player

Quote:
Signed by the Los Angeles Lakers to serve as their resident stretch 5, Yi Jianlian has disappointed once again this preseason with his oh-so familiar lethargic play.

Yi Jianlian was supposed to be the next big thing — the man who takes and proudly carries the throne of the far east from Yao Ming.

http://hoopshabit.com/2016/10/23/yi-jianlian-four-years-later/
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/790432836159279105

Quote:
ESPN sources say Yi Jianlian, after talks with the team Sunday, has asked to be released by the Lakers and will be formally waived Monday.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject:

We hardly knew Yi.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject:

I'm happy he's asked to go. No upside, only good to sell some jerseys in China. I was never comfortable with that.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:29 am    Post subject:

He is actually 32, which would explain the decline in his game. And he played the most demanding defensive position (5), which I thought was a mistake by Luke.

I wish him the best wherever he goes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject:

Oh well.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject:

Seems Yi is more realistic about his own play and opportunity to make an impact than many on here. Not trying to be an annoying "I told ya so" guy, but people were arguing with me when he was signed for calling him a journeyman and saying there's a reason he's been out of the league four years. Being the best player China has only meant something in the NBA when the guy was named Yao Ming.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject:

He knew he was getting cut. He saved himself the embarrassment and gets to return home a hero.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
He knew he was getting cut. He saved himself the embarrassment and gets to return home a hero.

I think it likely has more to do with the fact that his contract was heavily incentive laden. And he wouldn't be hitting those incentives as the 15th man on the team. I think he's probably just being realistic.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
He is actually 32, which would explain the decline in his game. And he played the most demanding defensive position (5), which I thought was a mistake by Luke.

I wish him the best wherever he goes.

He is too slow even to play Center, much less PF.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
We hardly knew Yi.

Farewell. We solute yi!

Last edited by RJBaca on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject:

Sad to see Yi go, and hope he does well going forward. Thank you for your time as a Laker.

ZOOM!!!!!!!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Seems Yi is more realistic about his own play and opportunity to make an impact than many on here. Not trying to be an annoying "I told ya so" guy, but people were arguing with me when he was signed for calling him a journeyman and saying there's a reason he's been out of the league four years. Being the best player China has only meant something in the NBA when the guy was named Yao Ming.

I was excited about that contract. Interesting trade chip.

Lakers had no reason to let him go and could have kept him and shipped him the first moment he as eligible to be traded, but they're not jerks.

In the end, it was overall a poor signing b/c we lose 8m in cap space (though it's essentially a cap holder).
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KBH wrote:

I was excited about that contract. Interesting trade chip.

Lakers had no reason to let him go and could have kept him and shipped him the first moment he as eligible to be traded, but they're not jerks.

In the end, it was overall a poor signing b/c we lose 8m in cap space (though it's essentially a cap holder).

The contract was the only reason to keep him at this point. Thomas Robinson is more deserving a spot based on play in summer league even if it's just being a practice body. I'm not even sweating the cap space. We've only lost something in the event that a trade materialized in which we could have used him as a throw in to match salaries. Which is possible, but not something I was banking on.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

I think it likely has more to do with the fact that his contract was heavily incentive laden. And he wouldn't be hitting those incentives as the 15th man on the team. I think he's probably just being realistic.

Having worked for an Asian importer for quite a few years, it's not that. The Chinese culture is very big on "face". For example, if your superior or even your parents are wrong..you are not able to tell them, because they "lose face". the strategy is to give them enough information that they see they are wrong and make a different decision..so it's their choice.

Lakers probably informed yi he was going to be cut, to "save face" he asked for a release so it seemed like his idea.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject:

Good news btw, he is terrible.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject:

RJBaca wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
We hardly knew Yi.

Farewell. We solute yi!

yi of little faith...
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject:

Yi Gad
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject:

Was never a fan of Yi.
Can't stand big men who can be out rebounded by guards.
At age 32, If you can't lock up the 3rd string Center position on a projected 25 win team.
You aren't good enough to be in the league.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 18 of 20
Jump to: