OFFICIAL YI JIANLIAN THREAD....GOODBYE YI....ASKED TO BE WAIVED!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Trust me, I know how crappy the CBA (Chinese Basketball Association) is. I heard about that plenty leading up to the 2015 draft.

But Yi did shoot 37% from 3 out there. Shot a little over 2 3PAs a game. So not a ton of volume. But still a noteworthy stat. Even though i don't know if they're shooting from the NBA 3pt line.

If Nance can approximate Yi's 3pt shooting, I'd play Nance over him. Since Larry is better than Yi at other aspects of the game.

Biggest ? for me is his rebounding. Doesn't command space well. But if you put him alongside a guy like Randle, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

In case anybody wants to see Yi's stats. http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Jianlian-Yi/Summary/40
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Trust me, I know how crappy the CBA (Chinese Basketball Association) is. I heard about that plenty leading up to the 2015 draft.
B
But Yi did shoot 37% from 3 out there. Shot a little of 2 3PAs a game. So not a ton of volume. But still a noteworthy stat. Even though i don't know if they're shooting from the NBA 3pt line.

If Nance can approximate Yi's 3pt shooting, I'd play Nance over him. Since Larry is better than Yi at other aspects of the game.

Biggest ? for me is his rebounding. Doesn't command space well. But if you put him alongside a guy like Randle, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Imagine running a small ball lineup with:

DLO
JC
Ingram
Deng
Yi

Can run an inverted system where DLO is posting up a PG. You have to respect the shooting from all 4 of the other guys.

It's nice to have a special tool in the form of a 7 footer who can shoot. Just adds a piece we didn't have.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
B
But Yi did shoot 37% from 3 out there. Shot a little of 2 3PAs a game. So not a ton of volume. But still a noteworthy stat. Even though i don't know if they're shooting from the NBA 3pt line.

DLO
JC
Ingram
Deng
Yi

Can run an inverted system where DLO is posting up a PG. You have to respect the shooting from all 4 of the other guys.

It's nice to have a special tool in the form of a 7 footer who can shoot. Just adds a piece we didn't have.

I actually don't like that lineup for Pick and Pop situations. Since there is nobody to stress the defense on the inside, unless Ingram or JC backdoor their men off ball and fight for inside position.
Actually told DB that. He stopped by the FA thread a while back.

But I like your idea more. Since at least DLO is stressing the defense on the inside with his post play.
The only down side is minimal opportunity for offensive rebounds. But DLO is a fantastic rebounder, so he could potentially beat his man for the board.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
B

DLO
JC
Ingram
Deng
Yi

I actually don't like that lineup for Pick and Pop situations. Since there is nobody to stress the defense on the inside, unless Ingram or JC backdoor their men off ball and fight for inside position.

But I like your idea more. Since at least DLO is stressing the defense on the inside with his post play.
The only down side is minimal opportunity for offensive rebounds. But DLO is a fantastic rebounder, so he could potentially beat his man for the board.

This is just a situational lineup. Of course we're not running this full-time. But gives Luke options that he wouldn't have with Moz/Zub/Black/Randle at Center.
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Iandrewd wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
There are FAR better uses of a roster spot, which is in limited supply on an NBA team, than a player with basically zero upside who couldn't cut it in the NBA in his last comeback playing for one of the best coaches in the NBA with Rick Carlisle. See, in this scenario, the Lakers have tied up a roster spot with an $8mn contract on a player with no real upside.

Apparently nobody in the organization has learned from the Hassan Whiteside issue. When you have a terrible team you can leave an open roster spot to just cycle through 10-day contracts and see if you can find a bargain. I would understand this signing as needing a vet presence for the younger guys but the team already has that in Deng (I'm assuming that's a partial reason for his deal) and Calderon.

Please do educate about which magical Hassan Whiteside is out there for the final roster spot.

Oh, I'm sorry. You need to know who the next guy is before you plan on being able to sign him? Miami Heat really benefitted from that attitude....It doesn't matter if you don't know who the next guy is, the point is that the Lakers won't be able to find him if he's out there!

What does this even mean?
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
B

DLO
JC
Ingram
Deng
Yi

This is just a situational lineup. Of course we're not running this full-time. But gives Luke options that he wouldn't have with Moz/Zub/Black/Randle at Center.

I would love that lineup. How's yi on defense?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
B

DLO
JC
Ingram
Deng
Yi

I would love that lineup. How's yi on defense?

Nothing to write home about.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject:

FYI:

Quote:
Jianlian’s one-year deal is only guaranteed for $250K, but it counts for $8MM against the Lakers’ cap, according to Bobby Marks of The Vertical. The base salary, partially guaranteed for $250K, is worth the minimum ($1,139,123), while the deal features another $6,860,877 in likely incentives.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/lal/salary/
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject:

I don't ask for much; just grab some boards and play some defense. If he's as good as Brandon Bass, I'm happy. Welcome aboard.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
is there other reasons beside keeping a roster spot open to complain about the Yi signing (15th man on a 1yr contract)?

His cap hold is 8M, killing any hope of a Calderon type of trade, or trading Young for an expensive but expiring contract. Basically all flexibility gone for the 15th guy.

Quote:

Marc Stein: Yi Jianlian’s one-year Laker deal indeed carries a cap number of $8 million but Yi must earn $6.8 mil through “likely bonuses,”
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:

There are FAR better uses of a roster spot, which is in limited supply on an NBA team, than a player with basically zero upside who couldn't cut it in the NBA in his last comeback playing for one of the best coaches in the NBA with Rick Carlisle. See, in this scenario, the Lakers have tied up a roster spot with an $8mn contract on a player with no real upside.

Apparently nobody in the organization has learned from the Hassan Whiteside issue. When you have a terrible team you can leave an open roster spot to just cycle through 10-day contracts and see if you can find a bargain. I would understand this signing as needing a vet presence for the younger guys but the team already has that in Deng (I'm assuming that's a partial reason for his deal) and Calderon.

Interesting that the bolded was a good description of the same Hassan Whiteside that you mention. He went from team to team with no upside as well. Then he pulled his head out and became a player. The Lakers are taking the same chance with Yi that the Heat took with Whiteside.

For the life of me I can't figure out how someone could say a 7-footer that can shoot from the outside and has good dexterity for his size has no upside.

Except that Yi is 32 and his rebound number is declining. What kind of upside do you expect?

Whiteside was 25 when the Heat picked him up.

I have no problem with the signing if it's for the minimum. But 8M is poor cap management.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
governator wrote:
is there other reasons beside keeping a roster spot open to complain about the Yi signing (15th man on a 1yr contract)?

His cap hold is 8M, killing any hope of a Calderon type of trade, or trading Young for an expensive but expiring contract. Basically all flexibility gone for the 15th guy.

Quote:

Marc Stein: Yi Jianlian’s one-year Laker deal indeed carries a cap number of $8 million but Yi must earn $6.8 mil through “likely bonuses,”

How so? The Lakers reportedly looked around for another of those Calderon (take back salary for future picks) type deals but didn't find one, and once they signed Black and Ingram, their cap room was gone anyway, and they can't not sign them indefinitely.

So rather than lose the cap space for nothing, they wedged a marketing asset and a flyer on an actual player into it, and have precisely the same flexibility they would have anyway.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject:

BTW, the Yi trade actually added to LA's trade flexibility. The bulk of his deal doesn't kick in until a certain number of games, so LA could in theory trade Yi's deal for a contract of up to 12.1 mil coming back, and the other team can cut Yi and have only 800k on their season ending books.

Info courtesy of Eric Pincus via Twitter.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:

Interesting that the bolded was a good description of the same Hassan Whiteside that you mention. He went from team to team with no upside as well. Then he pulled his head out and became a player. The Lakers are taking the same chance with Yi that the Heat took with Whiteside.

For the life of me I can't figure out how someone could say a 7-footer that can shoot from the outside and has good dexterity for his size has no upside.

Except that Yi is 32 and his rebound number is declining. What kind of upside do you expect?

Whiteside was 25 when the Heat picked him up.

I have no problem with the signing if it's for the minimum. But 8M is poor cap management.

By 32 you mean 28 right?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
governator wrote:

Possible playing time at center stripped from Nance/Randle/Black/Zubac. One of those guys will get the short end of the stick for playing time there that they could use & benefit from. And I'd rather invest time in our young talent than take a flyer on a previous draft bust.

Outside of that and a cap space trade, nah. Skill-set wise, if he's made the strides that have been discussed, I think he's a decent fit.

I still don't see why it's such a big deal if Tarik Black doesn't get playing time. I mean I like him, but his upside is a rotational big who doesn't really offer anything special besides a lot of energy and a surprisingly long wingspan.

Why should anyone lament if Yi outplays Tarik and earns his minutes? It'd be like complaining about the Lakers acquiring Ariza because it means Anthony Brown might not get minutes.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject:

I hope someone asks Mitch how old they think Yi is.

Ultimately, it hardly matters. Another 1-year rental.

Last edited by greenfrog on Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject:

How does this incentives thing work

I thought it was against the CBA

WHO CAN I TRUST NOW
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
BTW, the Yi trade actually added to LA's trade flexibility. The bulk of his deal doesn't kick in until a certain number of games, so LA could in theory trade Yi's deal for a contract of up to 12.1 mil coming back, and the other team can cut Yi and have only 800k on their season ending books.

Info courtesy of Eric Pincus via Twitter.

Yep, that kind of contract is valuable. I believe this is how the Cavs got Deng in '13-'14 for their playoff push. The Bulls got the financial flexibility of Bynum's non-guaranteed contract.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject:

End of bench guy...
League minimum salary.
Vet experience.
He'll see limited minutes unless somebody goes down with an injury.
He is basically filling the role of Sacre but looks like his offensive weapons are way better. I don't see how the Lakers lose on this considering we are going with Luke's system.
RealDealIngram
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject:

I thought this place was above racism and stereotypes? Yi is Chinese so you think it would be funny to call him the "Chairman"?
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LaxT wrote:
governator wrote:

Quote:

How so? The Lakers reportedly looked around for another of those Calderon (take back salary for future picks) type deals but didn't find one, and once they signed Black and Ingram, their cap room was gone anyway, and they can't not sign them indefinitely.

So rather than lose the cap space for nothing, they wedged a marketing asset and a flyer on an actual player into it, and have precisely the same flexibility they would have anyway.

Without Yi, they could have signed Black and Ingram, and still have 8M space. I don't know what you mean by "their cap room was gone anyway". And what do you mean by "rather than lose the cap space for nothing"? Plenty of teams will enter this season with cap space. That space would not be lost for nothing. They could use it anytime in the season. Even if they would not use it, it's better than using all of it in August.

Quote:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q74
The determination of whether an incentive is likely or unlikely is based on whether the criterion was achieved in the previous season. For example, if a player had seven assists per game the previous season, then an incentive based on seven assists per game would be classified as likely to be achieved, but one based on eight assists per game would be classified as not likely.

If either the league or players association feels that the previous season does not fairly predict the performance in the current season, then a jointly-selected expert determines whether the default classification should be overruled. This can happen when the player was injured the previous season.

Certain kinds of incentives are not allowed, such as those based on the player being on the team's roster on a specific date or for a specific number of games.

Yi's deal is probably never seen before. They are not using his CBA number to determine whether the incentives is likely/unlikely, are they? I'll wait for the details.

Last edited by LaxT on Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo--

No, 32. He was born on 1984/10/27.

greenfrog--

I think they know Yi is entering his last years and don't care because it's a one-year contract for marketing.

Basketball wise, I see Yi as a poor man's LNJ. Probably the kind of big Walton likes. It true, LNJ will get lots of minutes this season, something I like.

Last edited by LaxT on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject:

RealDealIngram wrote:
I thought this place was above racism and stereotypes? Yi is Chinese so you think it would be funny to call him the "Chairman"?

I believe he got the nickname from a workout video around the time he was drafted where he was playing with only a chair on the floor.

Last edited by greenfrog on Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
jonnybravo--

No, 32. He was born on 1984/10/27.

greenfrog--

I think they know Yi is entering his twilight and don't care because it's a one-year contract for marketing.

Basketball wise, I see Yi as a poor man's LNJ. Probably the kind of big Walton likes. It true, LNJ will get lots of minutes this season, something I like.

Apparently the Lakers tried to sign him last season so they probably don't have Luke's offense necessarily in my mind. Whether he fits or not I think has lot to do with how he runs the floor and passes, so we shall see.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Oh don't you worry, we'll find something to complain about!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 6 of 20
Jump to: