OFFICIAL YI JIANLIAN THREAD....GOODBYE YI....ASKED TO BE WAIVED!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Are we going to get a GT "How does Yi fit in Luke's offense" vid
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Basically, we have:

OUT: Sacre, Kelly
IN: Zubac, Yi.

The team has dramatically improved compared to Sacre/Kelly.

Basically you forgot about Bass...

He will be replaced role wise by nance Jr who was a rookie last year.

Plus Randles almost certain improvement...
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q74
Performance incentives are classified as either "likely to be achieved" or "not likely to be achieved," with only the likely incentives included in the player's salary and team salary amounts. The determination of whether an incentive is likely or unlikely is based on whether the criterion was achieved in the previous season. For example, if a player had seven assists per game the previous season, then an incentive based on seven assists per game would be classified as likely to be achieved, but one based on eight assists per game would be classified as not likely.

If either the league or players association feels that the previous season does not fairly predict the performance in the current season, then a jointly-selected expert determines whether the default classification should be overruled. This can happen when the player was injured the previous season.

Last year, Yi averaged 26.4 points, 9.2 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.9 steals and 1.3 blocks per night in the CBA.

In 2012 with the Mavs, 2.6 points, 1.6 rebounds, 0.2 assists, 0.3 steals and 0.3 blocks with 0.389 fg%.

It would be interesting if the league takes his CBA numbers as the barometer. At least it would make me feel better.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Basically, we have:

OUT: Sacre, Kelly
IN: Zubac, Yi.

The team has dramatically improved compared to Sacre/Kelly.

Basically you forgot about Bass...

He will be replaced role wise by nance Jr who was a rookie last year.

Plus Randles almost certain improvement...

Based on advanced stats like Basketball-reference's BPM, ESPN's real plus/minus, and NBA.com's Net Rating Bass was our best player last season.

Personally I'm not a fan of Bass. Scott's screwy system probably helped him. But maybe the stats have some merit.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
Quote:

Performance incentives are classified as either "likely to be achieved" or "not likely to be achieved," with only the likely incentives included in the player's salary and team salary amounts. The determination of whether an incentive is likely or unlikely is based on whether the criterion was achieved in the previous season. For example, if a player had seven assists per game the previous season, then an incentive based on seven assists per game would be classified as likely to be achieved, but one based on eight assists per game would be classified as not likely.

If either the league or players association feels that the previous season does not fairly predict the performance in the current season, then a jointly-selected expert determines whether the default classification should be overruled. This can happen when the player was injured the previous season.

Last year, Yi averaged 26.4 points, 9.2 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.9 steals and 1.3 blocks per night in the CBA.

In 2012 with the Mavs, 2.6 points, 1.6 rebounds, 0.2 assists, 0.3 steals and 0.3 blocks with 0.389 fg%.

It would be interesting if the league takes his CBA numbers as the barometer. At least it would make me feel better.

The problem with using his Mavs numbers is that they were from 4 years ago. He's obviously stronger and more polished now than he was then. I expect 28 yo Yi to look significantly more polished and productive than 24 yo Yi was.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject:

DoubleClutch wrote:
LaxT wrote:
Quote:

The problem with using his Mavs numbers is that they were from 4 years ago. He's obviously stronger and more polished now than he was then. I expect 28 yo Yi to look significantly more polished and productive than 24 yo Yi was.

Also, due to experience, he'll also come in thinking that he's one of the better players on the team, so confidence should be there.

It may not prove to be true, but he's going to a team with a bunch of kids and is projected to be one of the worat in the league.
RealDealIngram
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject:

I think Yi can potentially steal the starting PF position away from Randle.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject:

RealDealIngram wrote:

Not sure about PF, but I can see him splitting the minutes at C with Moz. About 24 mpg for each of them sounds right.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
This is why his deal is so brilliant. He can't shoot well enough to be called a stretch anything, he's already washed out of the league once, he'll eat up $8 million of cap space thereby eliminating a lot of flexibility this year, and on top of that he'll probably grab minutes from more deserving players that need to develop or that you'd rather see play because the team will likely win less than thirty games. But your dining room chair? Beware. You're going to need a new one! He devours chairs.

The $8 million is structured in a way where he can be a valuable trade asset or they can dump him with very little financial penalty. If he's grabbing minutes from "more deserving players", then he's earned those minutes. Unless you think Walton is gonna be coaching like Byron Scott. So exactly where is the risk in this signing that's got you and some others all up in arms?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject:

RealDealIngram wrote:

REALLY???????

WORST THIRD POST IN HISTORY....
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
RealDealIngram wrote:

REALLY???????

Randle isn't all that good yet.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject:

I actually think yi is better suited playing next to randle rather than instead of randle. Yi ability to pop out some is a good balance for randles unproven outside shot.then again, Yi's outside shot isn't anything we've seen as consistent yet either.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject:

TrekLife wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Anybody that is a Julius Randle fan should be thrilled that we signed Yi.

Last season the paint was kind of clogged with hibbert and Randle pretty much occupying the same space. Now, with YI able to consistently knock down a 3 opposing centers can't just sit back and play Randle for thre drive.

Russell finally has a PnR bigman that he can play with. I remember watching mudiay and YI in the PnR togther last year while scouting mudiay. trust me, he's better than anyone we had on the roster last season or this season in that role.

We suit YI just as much as he suits us. We have some physical PF's that will compensate for YI's rebounding. He will most likely play all of his minutes next to Randle, nance or black ( to a lesser extent) so we don't need him to be a monster rebounder or a physical type of player. We need him to do exactly what he's good at. Face up and space the floor.

I think we're going to be better than most people think. With this added versatility

Where is everyone getting this idea of Yi shooting consistent 3's. His shooting numbers are nothing special but when I read comments on here it makes him look sound like a good shooter when in reality he's decent at best.

I honestly don't know where you're getting that from. He only got consistent minutes in 3 of the seasons he played in the NBA including his rookie season. His rookie season was pretty bad, but the following year he shot 34% from 3, and the following year while receiving 31 mpg he shot 37% from 3 adding 12 points and 7 boards (going off memory.) after that this minutes went down.

Seems to me like when he's given minutes he produces. his shooting % in China seem to back it up. He can shoot! I'm pretty sure he must be a focal point of the offense in China judging by the monster stats. All we want is a role player. Nobody expects bim to avg 25 and 12. He should be able to deliver. I'm guessing 8 and 5 rebounds 35% from 3 in 24 mins. I expect similar numbers from mosgov (without the 3's of course)
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Maybe he fits the Speights' role
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:

I think a "very situational 5" is his role.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject:

Is it pronounced Yee Jan-Lee-An?
Iandrewd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
There are FAR better uses of a roster spot, which is in limited supply on an NBA team, than a player with basically zero upside who couldn't cut it in the NBA in his last comeback playing for one of the best coaches in the NBA with Rick Carlisle. See, in this scenario, the Lakers have tied up a roster spot with an $8mn contract on a player with no real upside.

Apparently nobody in the organization has learned from the Hassan Whiteside issue. When you have a terrible team you can leave an open roster spot to just cycle through 10-day contracts and see if you can find a bargain. I would understand this signing as needing a vet presence for the younger guys but the team already has that in Deng (I'm assuming that's a partial reason for his deal) and Calderon.

Please do educate about which magical Hassan Whiteside is out there for the final roster spot.

Oh, I'm sorry. You need to know who the next guy is before you plan on being able to sign him? Miami Heat really benefitted from that attitude....It doesn't matter if you don't know who the next guy is, the point is that the Lakers won't be able to find him if he's out there!

Well you're the one saying we may have just passed on our Whiteside (while wholly ignoring the fact we drafted JC/Jules/Dlo/Nance/Ingram/Zubac).

And if we cut Young, we'll have that magic roster spot to pick up the mythical next Hassan Whiteside...b/c of course, the Lakers were the only team to pass on him.

So just because a bunch of other teams also missed out on Whiteside, that makes it ok? Didn't realize the standard for the Lakers was mediocrity...

Nice attempt at changing the subject, but you still haven't given him any names and your constant dancing around it likely means you have no one in mind and were just complaining for the sake of it and now trying to steer the convaninto another argument.

And also Yi's international impressiveness didn't stay exclusive to the CBA but also expanded to the FlBA tournaments.

You don't seem to understand my point...you keep asking for a name they should have signed instead, like I'm some kind of basketball Nostradamus. YOU DON'T NEED TO ALREADY KNOW THE GUY. The idea is to leave a spot open and rotate some guys through so someone might SURPRISE you. I already explained that once. I wasn't changing the argument, I was simply trying to avoid repeating myself on a fairly straightforward concept.
Iandrewd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Trust me, I know how crappy the CBA (Chinese Basketball Association) is. I heard about that plenty leading up to the 2015 draft.
B
But Yi did shoot 37% from 3 out there. Shot a little of 2 3PAs a game. So not a ton of volume. But still a noteworthy stat. Even though i don't know if they're shooting from the NBA 3pt line.

If Nance can approximate Yi's 3pt shooting, I'd play Nance over him. Since Larry is better than Yi at other aspects of the game.

Biggest ? for me is his rebounding. Doesn't command space well. But if you put him alongside a guy like Randle, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Imagine running a small ball lineup with:

DLO
JC
Ingram
Deng
Yi

Can run an inverted system where DLO is posting up a PG. You have to respect the shooting from all 4 of the other guys.

It's nice to have a special tool in the form of a 7 footer who can shoot. Just adds a piece we didn't have.

Obviously I wasn't a fan of the signing but what's done is done. Could someone explain to me why Yi is considered a good shooter? His last year in the NBA he shot 30% from three and 39% on two's. He didn't play many minutes his last year in the NBA and the sample size is too small, you might reply...ok, well over his career he's a 33% three point shooter and a 41% two point shooter. Those numbers do not scream "good shooter", they don't even whisper it. This post isn't meant to be combative and tell everyone they're wrong, I would just like someone to tell me how he's a good shooter NOW when his past would seem to indicate that he's not a good shooter.

Bringing up his #s from 4 years ago is a bit worthless. I too was not high on him during his NBA tenure, but have been much more impressed with his game today. He's clearly worked out a few things in his game.

This is at worst, a 14th/15th guy off the bench on a cap placeholder deal. (who will make the Lakers a ton of $$$ in China).

Bringing up his NBA numbers is worthless? I would argue that those numbers are much more relevant than whatever he's put together in a league that just voted Stephon Marbury Finals MVP...and I don't particularly care how much money a family of billionaires (and yes, when you include the value of the Lakers franchise, the Buss family are billionaires) are making in China, I care about making the Lakers better.

fine. Tell me what Hassan Whiteside's numbers were in the NBA when he was drafted?

Again, I ask you, which player did we miss out by signing Yi (and Huertas, and Black, and trading for Calderon)? Why is it that your discontent falls squarely on Yi as opposed to other players?

Because this thread was on Yi...I personally don't think Huertas was a good choice either. Black is actually a good player that hopefully this coaching staff will allow to play so he's not even in the conversation. Calderon brought draft picks.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:

Hopefully much less frustrating. I hope he isn't the new codeword for the stretch 5. Speights' role diminished throughout the course of last season, which is why he got sent to basketball hell AKA the Clippers.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
matigol wrote:

I think a "very situational 5" is his role.

As it currently stands, he is only guaranteed $250,000, which would make him a min salary player. I think the expectation is that he'll have to earn his minutes, and the better he plays, the more he will make (which is as high as 8 million).

Here's how SS&R described his contract:

Quote:
The huge amount of non-guaranteed money is essentially a “get out of jail free” card for the Lakers, because it means should things not work out with Jianlian they can waive him with very little financial penalty. The team obviously hopes this deal will work out, but the unconventional structure of it offers them protection if it doesn’t.

Last edited by KindCrippler2000 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:31 am; edited 2 times in total
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
RealDealIngram wrote:

REALLY???????

This. I think we will be surprised by Jianlian's performance this year.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject:

Iandrewd wrote:
MJST wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
There are FAR better uses of a roster spot, which is in limited supply on an NBA team, than a player with basically zero upside who couldn't cut it in the NBA in his last comeback playing for one of the best coaches in the NBA with Rick Carlisle. See, in this scenario, the Lakers have tied up a roster spot with an $8mn contract on a player with no real upside.

Apparently nobody in the organization has learned from the Hassan Whiteside issue. When you have a terrible team you can leave an open roster spot to just cycle through 10-day contracts and see if you can find a bargain. I would understand this signing as needing a vet presence for the younger guys but the team already has that in Deng (I'm assuming that's a partial reason for his deal) and Calderon.

Please do educate about which magical Hassan Whiteside is out there for the final roster spot.

Oh, I'm sorry. You need to know who the next guy is before you plan on being able to sign him? Miami Heat really benefitted from that attitude....It doesn't matter if you don't know who the next guy is, the point is that the Lakers won't be able to find him if he's out there!

Well you're the one saying we may have just passed on our Whiteside (while wholly ignoring the fact we drafted JC/Jules/Dlo/Nance/Ingram/Zubac).

And if we cut Young, we'll have that magic roster spot to pick up the mythical next Hassan Whiteside...b/c of course, the Lakers were the only team to pass on him.

So just because a bunch of other teams also missed out on Whiteside, that makes it ok? Didn't realize the standard for the Lakers was mediocrity...

Nice attempt at changing the subject, but you still haven't given him any names and your constant dancing around it likely means you have no one in mind and were just complaining for the sake of it and now trying to steer the convaninto another argument.

And also Yi's international impressiveness didn't stay exclusive to the CBA but also expanded to the FlBA tournaments.

You don't seem to understand my point...you keep asking for a name they should have signed instead, like I'm some kind of basketball Nostradamus. YOU DON'T NEED TO ALREADY KNOW THE GUY. The idea is to leave a spot open and rotate some guys through so someone might SURPRISE you. I already explained that once. I wasn't changing the argument, I was simply trying to avoid repeating myself on a fairly straightforward concept.

Isn't once the delayed signing of Ingram and Black is over, there is no cap spot left, meaning you have to sign somebody now then sign Ingram/Black. Looks like Yi is the best that they got (aka you have to know the guy you want to sign... now). And the whole incentive up to $8mil (including usage of cap space of $8mil) allows F.O. to trade Yi for another player of up to $12mil in salary while the other team can cut Yi while paying only the $minimum

Last edited by governator on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
RealDealIngram wrote:

REALLY???????

This. I think we will be surprised by Jianlian's performance this year.

I think Randle will probably get the start because of his draft status, but make no mistake about it, if anybody is taking his starting job it will be Larry Nance Jr. he brings something to the table that neither do...defense.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject:

Iandrewd wrote:
MJST wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Yi is exactly the type of player who may surprise you. Struggled his first time in the NBA but had obvious potential. Went over seas and seemed to get better while having tons of success. Now he wants to come back and give it another try. That's very similar to what whiteside did.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject:

So is Yi 28 or 32? age gap doesn't seem large, but 28 means he's still young enough to adjust to the NBA.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 9 of 20
Jump to: