Laker Film Room: The New Laker Offense, Part 2 - Motion Weak
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Laker Film Room: The New Laker Offense, Part 2 - Motion Weak

Includes a quick tutorial on Motion Weak at the beginning.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject:

First.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject:

BOOM!
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject:

awesome work as always GT!

question for you - many of the clips had Russell catching the ball far far away from the basket (instead of the ideal FT-line extended spot). Am I understanding this correctly in that the reason for that is the defender is playing ball denial, and without the back-cut counter, Russell needs to go that far out to get the ball?

And if so, is that more on Russell, a teammate, or coaching to fix the problem?
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat never asked for this.

Great work bud.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:

question for you - many of the clips had Russell catching the ball far far away from the basket (instead of the ideal FT-line extended spot). Am I understanding this correctly in that the reason for that is the defender is playing ball denial, and without the back-cut counter, Russell needs to go that far out to get the ball?

Mostly a coaching issue. If you watch the Spurs clips in the video, you see that the players automatically know what to do when they face denial. Part of that is the experience of the players, both in the league & in the system, but a big part of that is that it was shown to them.

The issue of our guards being pushed out well beyond the FT-line extended was so prevalent amongst all of your guards that I'm fairly sure it was a coaching issue. And really, counter-action in pretty much any offensive set we were running was non-existant. That suggests that it's coaching. At best, a player might back cut, but the other 4 guys weren't running action that supported that back cut, if that makes sense. If the cutter didn't get open, turned into an iso or a pick & roll.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Yusss. Nice job as always.

Also props for using the most gangster song of all-time Mobb Deep's "Shook Ones Pt 2". (Close second is East Flatbush Project's "Tried by 12" hint hint )
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
cmonkee wrote:

Mostly a coaching issue. If you watch the Spurs clips in the video, you see that the players automatically know what to do when they face denial. Part of that is the experience of the players, both in the league & in the system, but a big part of that is that it was shown to them.

The issue of our guards being pushed out well beyond the FT-line extended was so prevalent amongst all of your guards that I'm fairly sure it was a coaching issue. And really, counter-action in pretty much any offensive set we were running was non-existant. That suggests that it's coaching. At best, a player might back cut, but the other 4 guys weren't running action that supported that back cut, if that makes sense. If the cutter didn't get open, turned into an iso or a pick & roll.

Cool, thanks - sounds like it was mainly coaching. How long did it take the Warriors (after dumping Jackson and hiring Kerr) to properly implement motion weak + counters?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
Yusss. Nice job as always.

Also props for using the most gangster song of all-time Mobb Deep's "Shook Ones Pt 2". (Close second is East Flatbush Project's "Tried by 12" hint hint )

Haha, yeah I dig EFP. I had Head to Head in one of the videos that I took down. I'll include Tried by 12 one of the next ones. Thanks, man.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
Cool, thanks - sounds like it was mainly coaching. How long did it take the Warriors (after dumping Jackson and hiring Kerr) to properly implement motion weak + counters?

I don't know, honestly. I wasn't following them close enough to know at the time, and wasn't as well versed in Motion Weak at the time either.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject:

I'm impressed you managed not to complain about Randle's "screen" when he's supposed to be down screening for Brown off the zipper cut. No snarky aside or anything. That takes discipline

Last edited by tox on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
I'm impressed you managed not to complain about Randle's "screen" when he's supposed to be down screening for Brown off the zipper cut. No snarky or aside or anything. That takes discipline

I believe in new beginnings, tox.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject:

I feel I learn which each videos... That's great teaching
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
tox wrote:
I'm impressed you managed not to complain about Randle's "screen" when he's supposed to be down screening for Brown off the zipper cut. No snarky or aside or anything. That takes discipline

Heh well you pointed it out later anyways.

Great vid as always! But you were driving me crazy pronouncing Manu's name like that
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
cmonkee wrote:

I don't know, honestly. I wasn't following them close enough to know at the time, and wasn't as well versed in Motion Weak at the time either.

No worries - I think the root of my question was getting at is what reasonable expectations should be for the Lakers to run motion weak competently... any guesses?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
tox wrote:

Heh well you pointed it out later anyways.

Great vid as always! But you were driving me crazy pronouncing Manu's name like that

Lol, my bad.

Mah-Nu, not Man-Nu.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
cmonkee wrote:

No worries - I think the root of my question was getting at is what reasonable expectations should be for the Lakers to run motion weak competently... any guesses?

Hmmm...all things considered, with a new coaching staff & young players I'd say January, maybe? With continued growth after that, of course.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Nice. Thanks
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Ya Randle at the top of the key in the passing role, with his agility - I'm intrigued at how dangerous that could be. I can see a fake dribble handoff or inverted P/R with him handling in that scenerio.But also, backcuts could be really dangerous with him being able to find an angle if the defending PG is denying.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
I'm impressed you managed not to complain about Randle's "screen" when he's supposed to be down screening for Brown off the zipper cut. No snarky aside or anything. That takes discipline

I lol'd on Randle on that play. GT was too kind.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
cmonkee wrote:

Of all the sets Luke will run, they probably have the most experience in this one with the end of last season and summer league. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they came out of preseason with some counters already in their tool chest on this play. Scott didn't teach counters, just initial basics on everything. In the summer league, I think we saw them at least starting to "think" about counters after getting overplayed. That's a positive sign. Plus, with Luke's triangle experience, he knows you have to have the pressure release options ... Or you don't really have an offense. So combine that with his emphasis on the fundamentals and I've got to think they develop competency with this set fairly quickly.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Saw this out of the corner of my eye and read 'Motion Weak' as 'Moon Walk'

I am actually disappointed now.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Love these.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: