Only the orange chicken
15%
 15%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 64

nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject:

I think people who like panda express have never tried authentic chinese food.

Both greasy as hell and bad for you but only 1 tastes good.
Daikatana
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:

LOL! I can't believe there is a thread about Panda Express...

Anyway, after coming back from living in China several years to the states, I just wanted to give Panda Express a whirl to see how it compared to real Chinese food in China...

Hmmm...

I'll never make that mistake again...

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

I'm not a big fan. I ordered my panda on a Monday and it didn't arrive until Saturday - hardly "express". Not only that, but rather than ship me a REAL panda, they shipped me a trash panda named Rocket.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

I think its fine. It's not authentic Chinese but most pizza places aren't authentic Italian either.

It's Americanized Chinese fast food. It is what it is and nothing more.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) hate it. Came to the states recently and their food doesn't compare to the Chinese food that I had where I lived. I didn't live in China or anywhere close, so it wasn't really authentic but man it was 10 times better than Panda.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Stuff is expensive. For orders to go, they'll put a spoonful or two of your items into a container with two shrunken compartments before trying to upsell their 7hr heat-lamped soup, dry egg rolls, and/or a soda.

Rarely ever visit anymore unless there's no other choice. If it's fresh off the wok, it's not too bad, but if green beans are turning into raisins on that steam table, just spare yourself the worship time on the porcelain throne.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject:

K2 i'm waaaaatchin youuu.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject:

It's OK. There are plenty of Chinese joints that are way worse.

I rank it near the same level as In and Out. And below Habit.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
K2 i'm waaaaatchin youuu.

Classic memories of Rockwell... Btw, see you rockin the new avi w/ Jack & tribal tattoo!
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:

You rank Habit above In 'N Out?... Why?...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

You rank Habit above In 'N Out?... Why?...

just my opinion. in and outs hamburger is a little dry.

I'd still easily take it over the usual suspects (McDonalds, Carls, BK etc)
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

Had a 17 hour layover in Shanghai last summer. Took the train from the airport into the city for a bit. The food we ate was some of the worst in my life. I couldn't even finish it because it was far too greasy.

Panda Express FTW
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

It's good if you're able to get a fresh batch but if it's been sitting out for more than an hour it's mediocre or worse. The quality of Panda has dropped off a lot the last 7-8 years.

Last edited by Deathstroke on Fri May 19, 2017 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
focus wrote:
ocho wrote:
Wilt wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
Good american food that Purists get in a snit about because it's not authentic Chinese.

I don't think anybody enters a Panda Express expecting an authentic Chinese meal. I think most objections come from receiving a plate filled to the brim with heaps of bargain basement chicken slathered in sugar slime. But if you like it, you win!

Since you are this forum's Jordan Schlansky ( ), I'm picturing you typing that while drinking the finest French Press coffee, resulting from a multi-step process involving the right temperature and air pressure, while eating a sandwich made with the finest grass-fed pastrami imported from New Zealand, tomatoes imported from Tuscany and transported by an exclusive fleet of ships that maintain the optimal temperature to keep them fresh, and bread made from the finest grain from the black soil region of Ukraine harvested by authentic farming equipment from the 17th century.

You forgot the monocle, but other than that this is pretty accurate.

Really though I do believe if you like it, you win. Same with books or movies or whatever. I can't convince someone they don't like Panda Express if they do, nor am I interested in convincing them of that in the first place. I've found a lot of people that like kinda cheap, nasty things attach their identity to them and feel threatened if someone doesn't like it. I'm not here to take anyone's Panda Express or diminish your experience. I'm just here to make diarrhea jokes.

Ok, where do you suggest to go for Chinese that is above all reliably sanitary and then secondarily not $30 an entry...hopefully in OC area north or south or on the periphery of OC?

Pioneer blvd on Artesia has a couple of decent places. My favorite Chinese restaurant in all of Socal is there. Ten Ten Seafood.

There's a really good Chinese restaraunt in Balboa Newport Beach. Been there for years. It's like $15 a plate but way better quality than Panda and not super greasy like some other Chinese spots.
Jhin0821
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
It's good if you're able to get a fresh batch but if it's been sitting out for more than an hour it's mediocre or worse. The quality of Panda has dropped off a lot the last 7-8 years.

I stayed in China for almost 2 weeks and I really tried to like the food but I just couldn't. It was f'n terrible IMO
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Jhin0821 wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

I stayed in China for almost 2 weeks and I really tried to like the food but I just couldn't. It was f'n terrible IMO

Dayam. What are some of the items that you tried? Haven't visited there yet, but was hoping it'd be more palatable since it's the real deal. Just across the Strait in Taipei, our first stop would always be to DTF for some xlb's, which for some reason are superior to those here in LA.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Dayam. What are some of the items that you tried? Haven't visited there yet, but was hoping it'd be more palatable since it's the real deal. Just across the Strait in Taipei, our first stop would always be to DTF for some xlb's, which for some reason are superior to those here in LA.

All my ethnic Chinese, Thai friends agree that the food in China is pretty bad. And they prefer the Chinese style food they can get in Thailand
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
K2 wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:

All my ethnic Chinese, Thai friends agree that the food in China is pretty bad. And they prefer the Chinese style food they can get in Thailand

Is it somehat bland, flavorless in comparison? Or is it just too greasy?
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
K2 wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:

They do find it kind of bland, but also they complain that the ingredients are not of the same quality. Never mentioned anything about the greasiness though.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
Its okay, I found a place that does chinese food like that but is drive thru. Its near home and their orange chicken is delicious.

Sadly, a mom & pop place by my house recently closed down. Same environment/idea Panda Express has, but their food had actual care put into it. Their chow mein had tiny bits of chicken added in, and didn't throw in a bunch of veggies to make you feel like you're getting a good amount of noodles.

Their orange chicken was crispy (not soggy) on the outside, and the woman behind the counter was so sweet. I had to constantly tell her they were light years ahead of their powerhouse competitors, and it made her day every time.

Great prices too.

That being said, I haven't been to Panda Express in a couple years, but the times that I have gone, I did like it. With some exceptions I had to choke down.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject:

I think I finally understand what Desiigner was sayin'.

Panda, Panda
Panda, Panda, Panda, Panda, Panda

I got hemorrhoids in Atlanta
Stools bloody, lean with the Fanta
Add the carbs and the calories
Don't know how I laid off diabetes...
Black S-h#, vomit
White S-h#, panda
Coming out like a fountain
Hundred pieces, hundred pennies
Black S-h#, vomit
White S-h#, panda
Arse is swole, Danny
Constipation, help me
Thought I'd be macho like Randy
The crappa go Oscar for Grammy
B***h n***a pull up ya panty
Hope you killas understand me...
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I like the walnut shrimp

I like the eggplant tofu.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
K2 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

They do find it kind of bland, but also they complain that the ingredients are not of the same quality. Never mentioned anything about the greasiness though.

The blandness I could understand vs. what can be found in Thailand, it's disappointing to hear about the lack of quality. I've always thought Asian food quality there would be much higher since they're supposedly getting the freshest ingredients from nearby traditional markets where the meat is hacked up on the spot and not frozen/trucked via vast distances before hitting the distributors.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
K2 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

The blandness I could understand vs. what can be found in Thailand, it's disappointing to hear about the lack of quality. I've always thought Asian food quality there would be much higher since they're supposedly getting the freshest ingredients from nearby traditional markets where the meat is hacked up on the spot and not frozen/trucked via vast distances before hitting the distributors.

China is importing a lot of food from Thailand and other regional producers.
The traditional markets you describe still flourishes in Thailand in common with more western type markets specially when you are talking meat and poultry. Fruit and vegetables are on the other hand less likely to hit cold storage like in the west. But a lot of fields and orchards are bought up ahead of time and being exported whole to China.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:

I really liked the food in Thailand the two times I went there. I saw a lot of Chinese, but ate mostly Thai style food but next time will try it.

Your current location (I looked it up) seems to be in a much more "authentic" Thai area than the places (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Ko Samui, Ko Phagnan) amongst others that I visited.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: