Lamar Odom Thread: Wants to join Lakers Coaching staff; has talked to Luke (Page 3)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Lamar Odom Thread: Wants to join Lakers Coaching staff; has talked to Luke (Page 3)

Lamar Odom staying in the Gym and working hard to try to make NBA Return

Amongst the madness surrounding the struggling Los Angeles Lakers last season, the team, as well as the league, was provided with some perspective on how quickly things can turn downhill after an incident that left former Laker Lamar Odom hanging on for dear life back in October of 2015.

It has been nearly a year since the incident, and now the 2011 Sixth Man of the Year is beginning to look like his former self after posting videos of his workouts with Real Deal Fitness Gym on Instagram:
Videos:
http://instagram.com/p/BJQ8yOwAmUx
http://instagram.com/p/BJRyUx0Dl1q

"I'm going to this training facility in Santa Barbara," Odom explains. "A lot of pros, and guys that will be pros, workout there." _ Odom is adamant that he's "looking forward to" getting back into shape and returning to basketball. _ ( 🎥 @realdealfitnessgym | H/T @entertainmenttonight ) @lamarodom

His Trainer Answering a Text sent from a 13 year old fan of Lamar
http://instagram.com/p/BJQVoXAAPVd
realdealfitnessgym I get messages about Lamar Odom all the time but this one from this 13 year left an impression on me. And it's messages like this that touches you, motivates you and leave a lasting impression. #lamarodom

Regardless of whether Lamar does make it back into the NBA, these are the kind of stories I want to see about him, and this is the kind of news I'd rather he be making. Stay focused and committed Lamar. Everyone is pulling for you!

Last edited by MJST on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject:

Good to see him working out. This dude was on death's door
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject:

He needs to get professional help rather than trying to become a professional basketball player again. Apparently he refuses to get it, which is sad. He's fighting all these personal demons by himself.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject:

And here's your second bit of good news, thus far.

Lamar Odom Is Sober and 'Making Great Strides,' His Trainer Oneil Pryce Says

One step at a time. Lamar Odom is trying to get back on track after making headlines last month for getting kicked off a Delta Airlines flight. The athlete's trainer Oneil Pryce exclusively tells Us Weekly that the star is sober and shaping up by working out.

"From what I know [he's not drinking], because right now he is focused and that is the state I have him in right now," Pryce, the owner and founder of Real Deal Fitness gym, tells Us. "I have been letting him know that [this] is going to be a rough road, a hard road. And one thing he has to do is make sure that the partying, the drinking, all of that stuff, is going to be tough on his body. So right now, he has been drinking his water, staying low key and pretty much staying out of sight of everybody else, all of the negative stuff."

Pryce says that he is a family friend and offered to train the dad of three, 36. "I reached out to him and we have been friends for a whole long time," he says. "He really wants to get his life back together. He's really trying hard and that is what we are working on right now … keeping his mental state high."

"He has been through a lot," the Long Island–based trainer adds. "He [has] certain people around him that I am trying to get him away from, and just keeping him positive."

Pryce is taking things slow with Odom. The former NBA player, who is currently settling his divorce with Khloé Kardashian, exercises for 30 minutes at a time — for now.

"I have to go really, really easy with him and build his strength back up. He might look physically fit on the outside, but on the inside, you have to understand, his liver has been through a lot, his kidney has been through a lot, and his heart has been through a lot," Pryce explains.

"More than ­anything, Khloé wants to be in ­Lamar’s life, but only if he gets healthy," an insider exclusively told Us in June.

According to Pryce, Odom is doing just that. "I'm just trying to show him it is one day at a time … Just two, three months ago, people were saying you weren't going to walk again, you weren't going to live. So, just to be where you are right now, you are doing good. And as far as workouts, he is actually making great strides," Pryce tells Us. "This is a gleam of hope, just a gleam [that] can get [him] through the darkest hours."
http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/lamar-odom-is-sober-and-making-great-strides-his-trainer-says-w433825

Continue the forward progress Lamar!!

In situations like this.. you always can get your heart broken by the person you are rooting for. But I truly hope Lamar does not. Keep up the great work!
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject:

Hell yeah. Good job lamar!

His trainer sounds like Denzel washington.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject:

At least he's getting in shape and has a purpose. I really hope it isn't just because he needs the money.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
He needs to get professional help rather than trying to become a professional basketball player again.

This.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
He needs to get professional help rather than trying to become a professional basketball player again.

This.

What happens if he fails at being a professional basketball player? The downward spirals are scary then...deal with the issues first.

Very worried for my man Lamar.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This.

What happens if he fails at being a professional basketball player? The downward spirals are scary then...deal with the issues first.

Agree.

I understand playing ball and working out as a sort of therapy, but thinking that he has a chance to be an NBA player again is the wrong thinking. It concerns me even more that he's in the same city that our team will be in soon. With our coach that's his friend. Hopefully he only gets a training camp invite and that's it
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Hell yeah. Good job lamar!

His trainer sounds like Denzel washington.

Who is the girl in your avatar?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This.

Agree.

I understand playing ball and working out as a sort of therapy, but thinking that he has a chance to be an NBA player again is the wrong thinking. It concerns me even more that he's in the same city that our team will be in soon. With our coach that's his friend. Hopefully he only gets a training camp invite and that's it

I don't even think that he would be a training camp invite, I think that he may pop in during camp though and offer advice, words, or 'work' with some of our young guys. If Luke asked him to come in and work with Randle for a few hours I have a feeling Lamar would be happy to.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This.

Agree.

Color me skeptical as well. It isn't just the layoff or the age, but apparent brain damage that impacted his motor skills. It reminds me of the time JR Richard tried to make a comeback after a stroke, you just knew the effort was doomed from the start.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This.

Seems like an attempt to avoid the real issues. A couple weeks or even a couple months in a gym are not going to be the solution for LO. I wish him well, but I have no more sympathy for him....he got a second chance.....one more than many people are granted.....its on him now.
AJLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject:

Good for him if he is sober.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject:

He definitely needs professional help. When anyone hits rock bottom as hard as he did, they don't just clean up and get better by themselves, and especially not in less than a year.

He might be doing fine right now, but all it would take is one little bump in the road to send him crashing back down.

As for trying to get back in the NBA, I just don't see it happening. Even without the rest of the stuff that happened in his life, he's 36 and has been out of the league for a few years. There aren't too many guys that old in the NBA at any given time, and none of them were ever in a coma.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject:

Yeah, LO isn't coming back to the league. The sooner he understands this and gets professional help for his clear drug/alcohol issues the longer he will live.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

he needs psychologist, not trainer...
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Get professional help, stay away from the Kartrashians, and his life will be good.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:
he needs psychologist, not trainer...

Working 5 minutes with Randle/Nance/Ingram (just forwards) will show Odom just how impossible making the NBA is.
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Guys.... he has a purpose. Even if it is an escapism, it's still miles better that brothels in Nevada.

Purpose motivates and focuses him. Even if he doesn't make the comeback - at least he'd invest in his health.

May be when sober he'll deal with the NBA failure easier...

Also, who's to say he doesn't get professional help as well?
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject:

I hope he is clean. If that was true flying city to city every week living the NBA life style probably isn't going to help his sobriety.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Basketball might help him with coping.

He still needs professional help, but for all we know he is getting it and getting back into working out and playing basketball may be some sort of therapy for him.

When doing so, he has to have a goal, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he expects to really make it back into the NBA.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Remember when metta was "working" with randle

Worked out pretty well for metta lol
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject:

He looks really out of shape in that video. I imagine his trainer will put out another video in a month or so to show everyone how much progress he has made. However, as of now, it looks like LO needs to drop a significant amount of weight. He has never been a workout warrior to begin with (always relied on a his natural metabolism), so it will be interesting to see what kind of progress he makes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10
Jump to: