[espn] When did everything fall apart? [no mention of veto, yet very heated]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject:

ITS LIT
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
70sdude wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:

I suggest that conventional thinkers at that time were proven wrong. I think that there were many fans - besides myself - who both:

- declared at LG at the time that the Nash trade horrible for the team's future at the time, gambling three years of draft picks fothe long shot that the championship-less Nash was the key element to one more championship.

- recognize that while draft selections are not slam-dunk win-win situations, declared preference for combining KObe with young legs rather than old, and that the Lakers had good chances to have done better with those picks than the Suns.

So you suggest that the idea of getting Jerry Buss one more title before he passed on was less important than the immediate future? They guy who gave everything he had to give us fans titles and greatness? I guess some are more loyal than others and care more about people than stats.

That's complete BS. I suggested that time proved the Nash trade was a desperate, wasted move - and that many of us predicted it.

I mentioned above that I couldn't find your post at the time of the trade stating that it was horrible, but now I will politely ask you for a link.

Right, like I need to prove that to you.

N9, you're right, you don't. But don't expect anyone to believe you if you won't or can't. You made the assertion, so the burden is on you.
Tagurt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Late to the discussion, a few points:

1. Saving up those 1st round picks when Kobe was getting old would not have sit well with anyone. Sending two of those for Nash is an overpay, but there was no available PG on the market and Nash was still expected to be decent.

2. The Dwight trade was a no brainer at the time. It was a trade from the second best to the best center in the league.

3. The team chemistry is terrible, everyone may think it's hating but Kobe needed to be more of a leader by example. I don't just mean scoring a bunch of points, I also mean doing the less flashy tasks like being a decoy off-ball and playing defense which Kobe slacked.

4. Picking D'Antoni over Phil was a blunder IMO, but I don't think getting Phil would have mattered. His insistence on running a structured post offense doesn't work for a center and a PG with no post up skills. The 3-pointer have also become more important and it's doubtful that Phil will make more use of it than he did.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Tagurt wrote:

1. Saving up those 1st round picks when Kobe was getting old would not have sit well with anyone. Sending two of those for Nash is an overpay, but there was no available PG on the market and Nash was still expected to be decent.

2. The Dwight trade was a no brainer at the time. It was a trade from the second best to the best center in the league.

3. The team chemistry is terrible, everyone may think it's hating but Kobe needed to be more of a leader by example. I don't just mean scoring a bunch of points, I also mean doing the less flashy tasks like being a decoy off-ball and playing defense which Kobe slacked.

4. Picking D'Antoni over Phil was a blunder IMO, but I don't think getting Phil would have mattered. His insistence on running a structured post offense doesn't work for a center and a PG with no post up skills. The 3-pointer have also become more important and it's doubtful that Phil will make more use of it than he did.

1, 2 - Agree

3, 4 - The team chemistry was terrible. Dwight was rebelling against an offense that suited him preferring one that didn't, made worse by his physical limitations. MDA wasn't Phil, a bad situation made worse when his floor general went down with an odd injury and with the Team President blasting her brother for not hiring her boyfriend. Pau was a shell of himself both with the Lakers and in terms of his trade value with other teams. Blaming Kobe for not leading by example is to ignore the example Kobe set. Post All-Star Break: 31.09 PPG, 7.36 APG, 6.64 RPG with Howard and Pau balling out, Nash getting healthy for a Playoff run and the Lakers climbing from 4 games below to 8 games over .500. Not sure what example is required, but I would take that Kobe any day on any team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject:

Remember, it was expected that the 1st rounders that we traded for Nash would be in the 20s, not an unreasonable assumption. Thankfully we had some form of protection on the picks to get DLO/Ingram, but the time has likely come to finally pay off one of the 1st round obligations (to the 76ers).
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It went downhill when guys aged and left the team capped out without relief. The CP3 move might have been a band aid, or maybe not. But we had a good 20-year run, most teams would be lucky with half of that. Assigning blame is for aholes, and idiots, and SAS falls into the idiot category.

SAS falls into both categories
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Tagurt wrote:

1, 2 - Agree

3, 4 - The team chemistry was terrible. Dwight was rebelling against an offense that suited him preferring one that didn't, made worse by his physical limitations. MDA wasn't Phil, a bad situation made worse when his floor general went down with an odd injury and with the Team President blasting her brother for not hiring her boyfriend. Pau was a shell of himself both with the Lakers and in terms of his trade value with other teams. Blaming Kobe for not leading by example is to ignore the example Kobe set. Post All-Star Break: 31.09 PPG, 7.36 APG, 6.64 RPG with Howard and Pau balling out, Nash getting healthy for a Playoff run and the Lakers climbing from 4 games below to 8 games over .500. Not sure what example is required, but I would take that Kobe any day on any team.

yea, again, not sure why that would be said about kobe. if kobe won mvp that year, it wouldn't have been undeserved. that's some of the best ball i've seen kobe play. and frankly, nothing anyone has done since 2013 has topped that as far as individuals.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Tagurt wrote:

1, 2 - Agree

yea, again, not sure why that would be said about kobe. if kobe won mvp that year, it wouldn't have been undeserved. that's some of the best ball i've seen kobe play. and frankly, nothing anyone has done since 2013 has topped that as far as individuals.

It would be undeserved when a guy on a 66 win team put up 27/8/7 on 64% TS% and actually played great defense (probably the last regular season he actually bothered to do that). Of course I'm sure you have some strong opinions on that, which I'm bound to disagree with.

Last edited by tox on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject:

the idea of lebron even being capable of playing that way, let alone actually doing it is laughable.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

^^spam
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
the idea of lebron even being capable of playing that way, let alone actually doing it is laughable.

Has the idea or concept of other non-Kobe players being great entered your mind, especially since Kobe's decline?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Has the idea or concept of other non-Kobe players being great entered your mind, especially since Kobe's decline?

Kobe never declined. He just got bored with decimating everyone in his path. 60 points in his last game proves that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Kobe never declined. He just got bored with decimating everyone in his path. 60 points in his last game proves that.

By declining he was actually inclining.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
70sdude wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
70sdude wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:

I suggest that conventional thinkers at that time were proven wrong. I think that there were many fans - besides myself - who both:

- declared at LG at the time that the Nash trade horrible for the team's future at the time, gambling three years of draft picks fothe long shot that the championship-less Nash was the key element to one more championship.

- recognize that while draft selections are not slam-dunk win-win situations, declared preference for combining KObe with young legs rather than old, and that the Lakers had good chances to have done better with those picks than the Suns.

So you suggest that the idea of getting Jerry Buss one more title before he passed on was less important than the immediate future? They guy who gave everything he had to give us fans titles and greatness? I guess some are more loyal than others and care more about people than stats.

That's complete BS. I suggested that time proved the Nash trade was a desperate, wasted move - and that many of us predicted it.

I mentioned above that I couldn't find your post at the time of the trade stating that it was horrible, but now I will politely ask you for a link.

N9, you're right, you don't. But don't expect anyone to believe you if you won't or can't. You made the assertion, so the burden is on you.

There is no burden thanks.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
70sdude wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
70sdude wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:

I predicted that you would say that.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
70sdude wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
70sdude wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:

I predicted that you would say that.

link?
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

what's more unusual is the amount of lebron support and claims of being better than kobe in a lakers forum. lebron is great...he just often has teammates that are greater.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
70sdude wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
70sdude wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Take this L.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I was swept up with just how dominant Dwight used to look, not knowing how weak he was mentally. I don't think Phil Jax would change the Kobe/Dwight dynamic and he would have left anyways.

Phil would have skewered Dwight like he did to Ho Grant and even Kobe early on. Howard would have hated Phil's guts.

Agreed. I kind of chuckle a bit at some who claim Phil Jax would have saved Dwight (let alone got him to work with Kobe). I think quite the opposite.

Dwight's few comments about all of it seemed to suggest that he thought that Phil would have got Kobe under control and they would have played a style that was more suitable to Dwight instead. It's an absolutely foolish thought.

What's more headscratching is that so many of the people I talk to who blame the MDA hire for Dwight leaving didn't want Dwight to stay anyway.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
70sdude wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
70sdude wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:

No one has to prove anything now, but it's undeniable that if there were people who were against the Nash trade when it happened, they were extremely quiet about their disapproval.
Tagurt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
What's more headscratching is that so many of the people I talk to who blame the MDA hire for Dwight leaving didn't want Dwight to stay anyway.

I think the fans wanted Dwight to stay, but they wanted Dwight to kowtow to Kobe and the Lakers. Fans didn't respect Dwight, but they wouldn't be so pissed from Dwight's departure if they really wanted him gone. Ironic thing is, if Dwight does stay, then he would have looked like an even bigger (bleep). I don't like Dwight much, but I admit that he cannot win no matter what he does.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I was swept up with just how dominant Dwight used to look, not knowing how weak he was mentally. I don't think Phil Jax would change the Kobe/Dwight dynamic and he would have left anyways.

Phil would have skewered Dwight like he did to Ho Grant and even Kobe early on. Howard would have hated Phil's guts.

Agreed. I kind of chuckle a bit at some who claim Phil Jax would have saved Dwight (let alone got him to work with Kobe). I think quite the opposite.

Dwight's few comments about all of it seemed to suggest that he thought that Phil would have got Kobe under control and they would have played a style that was more suitable to Dwight instead. It's an absolutely foolish thought.

Dwight respected Phil. How did Phil use Shaq, Pau, even Cartwright? very effectively. Not that Dwight can match Shaq and Pau offensively, but he would've worked his butt off for Phil. To think having Phil as coach of that team would have made no difference is laughable.

Dwight loved posting up and scoring inside.....and MDA hated that stuff - enough said.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Tagurt wrote:

1, 2 - Agree

Those 3 & 4 ones are difficult ones to tackle because we all think differently. However; I don't think the Lakers really needed to show case how Kobe scores, that was given at that point in history. Lakers needed to show how Kobe contributes to his teammates growth. Basketball is a team sport and if there is no team there is Nothing. I'm seeing a lot of the older players taking the back seat to allow the young guys or teammates flourish, Kobe according to his letters to his young self may have began to grasp that at the end of his career.
MDA is a hard sell for me. His offense needs the right three point or mid range tools. The Lakers did not have those so he was an odd fit from day one.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Dwight respected Phil. How did Phil use Shaq, Pau, even Cartwright? very effectively. Not that Dwight can match Shaq and Pau offensively, but he would've worked his butt off for Phil. To think having Phil as coach of that team would have made no difference is laughable.

Dwight loved posting up and scoring inside.....and MDA hated that stuff - enough said.

Well Dwight is poor at posting up and scoring inside, and even Phil said he would only give him enough touches to keep him interested defensively. You said it yourself, Dwight was nowhere close to Shaq and Pau offensively, not even in the same zip code. He would never had been a featured part of the offense no matter who the coach was. And MDA didn't hate scoring from the post, he hated wasting time dumping the ball to a big man who then took 8-10 seconds trying to establish position and shoot the ball. As he should, that is prehistoric basketball.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12
Jump to: