Crazy idea on how to retire Kobe's jersey - 8 vs 24 hanging on the rafters thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I think that retiring both numbers is a bad idea and more like something the Celtics would do than something the Lakers would do. Let him decide one and retire it, put the other into circulation. Kobe was great but no greater than Magic, Kareem and other Laker greats. You don't change what you do just because a player has a whim to change numbers during his career.

kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Kobe retires too much.

Hate to be that guy, but it's "to" much. Would hate even more to see a classic get permanently tarnished. There have already been signs.

The proper word is "too".
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I think that retiring both numbers is a bad idea and more like something the Celtics would do than something the Lakers would do. Let him decide one and retire it, put the other into circulation. Kobe was great but no greater than Magic, Kareem and other Laker greats. You don't change what you do just because a player has a whim to change numbers during his career.

a little different perspective, you could argue that MJ doesn't deserve to retire his #45 because the career of his #45 doesn't warrant jersey number retirement. Kobe's both #8 and #24 career (separately) arguably warrant it. both jerseys are multi-champions, multi all-stars, multi all-NBA, lead league in scoring. He has 10 seasons of each to judge from
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Legacy wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Kobe retires too much.

Hate to be that guy, but it's "to" much. Would hate even more to see a classic get permanently tarnished. There have already been signs.

The proper word is "too".

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=101747

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

It has nothing to do with saying Kobe is greater. It's just recognizing his great level of play in both numbers. And none of those guys played in two different numbers, so who is to say what the Lakers would have done if they had.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It has nothing to do with saying Kobe is greater. It's just recognizing his great level of play in both numbers. And none of those guys played in two different numbers, so who is to say what the Lakers would have done if they had.
No player dominated the way Kobe did as 8 and 24 for the same team for as long of a period either.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

a little different perspective, you could argue that MJ doesn't deserve to retire his #45 because the career of his #45 doesn't warrant jersey number retirement. Kobe's both #8 and #24 career (separately) arguably warrant it. both jerseys are multi-champions, multi all-stars, multi all-NBA, lead league in scoring. He has 10 seasons of each to judge from

I disagree, the Lakers shouldn't fall for Celtic tricks and retire every jersey they have. One Kobe, one jersey retired. Don't get cute.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

So if Shaq had changed numbers every season we should retire all of them? That isn't very Laker like, I thought we had more class than that.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject:

I would put #24 on the jersey in the rafters and #8 on the statue.

And no future Laker would be wearing either
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I disagree, the Lakers shouldn't fall for Celtic tricks and retire every jersey they have. One Kobe, one jersey retired. Don't get cute.

not sure what you meant by celtics trick but back to my point of argument that each of Kobe's career (while wearing #8 and #24) separately are worthy of hall of fame consideration. You can argue/disagree with this point if you want but this has nothing to do with Celtics.

Kobe #8:
10 seasons
3 rings in 4 finals
multi top 5 MVP consideration
multi all-stars
multi all NBA
lead league in scoring
score about 16000+

Kobe#24
10 seasons
2 rings in 3 finals
multi NBA finals MVP
MVP
multi all-stars
multi all NBA
lead league in scoring
score about 16000+

That's my argument
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

not sure what you meant by celtics trick but back to my point of argument that each of Kobe's career (while wearing #8 and #24) separately are worthy of hall of fame consideration. You can argue/disagree with this point if you want but this has nothing to do with Celtics.

Kobe #8:
10 seasons
3 rings in 4 finals
multi all-stars
multi all NBA
lead league in scoring
score about 16000+

Kobe#24
10 seasons
2 rings in 3 finals
multi NBA finals MVP
MVP
multi all-stars
multi all NBA
lead league in scoring
score about 16000+

That's my argument

It is a parlor trick argument. In reality, Kobe played one career, he should have one number retired. He is not more special than Magic, Karee, Shaq or any other great whose numbers have been retired, they shouldn't treat him any differently.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Kobe #8:
10 seasons
3 rings in 4 finals
multi all-stars
multi all NBA
lead league in scoring
score about 16000+

Kobe#24
10 seasons
2 rings in 3 finals
multi NBA finals MVP
MVP
multi all-stars
multi all NBA
lead league in scoring
score about 16000+

That's my argument

It is a parlor trick argument. In reality, Kobe played one career, he should have one number retired. He is not more special than Magic, Karee, Shaq or any other great whose numbers have been retired, they shouldn't treat him any differently.

I agree and disagree.

In this case, Kobe is different --he had two numbers, which is highly unusual.

I have no trouble retiring them both. However, I wouldn't hang two jerseys for Kobe in the rafters -- I would put both numbers on the same jersey or alternate them.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Kobe #8:
10 seasons
3 rings in 4 finals
multi all-stars
multi all NBA
lead league in scoring
score about 16000+

Kobe#24
10 seasons
2 rings in 3 finals
multi NBA finals MVP
MVP
multi all-stars
multi all NBA
lead league in scoring
score about 16000+

That's my argument

parlor trick argument?
This has never been done before, a player with 2 x 10 years of HOF worthy career. Kobe is the first. This is why we are having an argument
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Kobe #8:
10 seasons
3 rings in 4 finals
multi all-stars
multi all NBA
lead league in scoring
score about 16000+

Kobe#24
10 seasons
2 rings in 3 finals
multi NBA finals MVP
MVP
multi all-stars
multi all NBA
lead league in scoring
score about 16000+

That's my argument

parlor trick argument?
This has never been done before, a player with 2 x 10 years of HOF worthy career. Kobe is the first. This is why we are having an argument

it's a weird case. Lots of guys have had their numbers retired by two teams.

Dr. J and Earl Monroe had two different numbers retired by two different teams they played for.

But I don't know of another great player who played for one team and changed his number.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject:

first half of season before all-star game = hang #8
second half after all-star = hang #24
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject:

Retire 24 officially, retire 8 unofficially.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject:

Make the number 24 but when you look at it slightly cross eyed the number 8 comes out in like 3D!
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject:

RJBaca wrote:
Make the number 24 but when you look at it slightly cross eyed the number 8 comes out in like 3D!

that would look sick. I've seen statues like that with not just 2 but 3 angles perspective
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

I would do this.

Solves everything.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

So if Shaq had changed numbers every season we should retire all of them? That isn't very Laker like, I thought we had more class than that.

Of course not, because no one would associate any particular number with Shaq. There's a huge difference between someone having a different number every year and someone having two distinct phases of his career while wearing two immediately recognizable numbers. When they said 8/24 would be Kobe day, it didn't need to be explained to anyone who knows even a little about the Lakers.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Your reasoning is egregious. It's a false dichotomy to compare this "dilemma" of Kobe's two numbers with the other Laker greats and their numbers. None of them played with two numbers, so retiring both #8 and #24 wouldn't imply that Kobe is superior to any of them (though who would seriously argue that he wasn't greater than Jamaal Wilkes?). Both numbers will be retired because he wore both. You'd have a valid point if they were talking about hanging #8 twice or #24 twice, but they're not. A decent case could even be made that the Lakers should "unretire" every single number unless they're willing to throw George Mikan's up there too because, as of today, his is not. Isn't that "unfair"? And before someone says that's different because the Lakers played in Minnesota back then, that doesn't change anything. It's still the Laker franchise, regardless of what city they were in. If it doesn't matter then why come the championships they won in Minnesota are credited to the Lakers instead of the Timberwolves?

Technically, no player can change their number "every" year because the NBA has a rule that restricts how often a player can do it (IIRC it's every three years).

Also, anyone who's of the 'He should only have one number retired' opinion, you shoot yourself in the foot by saying that the other number could be "unofficially" retired because no player would want to take it, whatever number it is. If that's the case then why not just retire it then since no player would wear it anyway?

It's a little surprising to me that there's even a debate about this subject. It's always been pretty obvious to me for years that they would end up retiring both. I'd be shocked if they didn't. I don't think any of the other greats would mind, either. Magic, for one, has been proud to call Kobe the greatest Laker ever. If his opinion was sought, I'd bet the farm and the kids that he'd have one of the loudest voices in support of both numbers being retired.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Your reasoning is egregious. It's a false dichotomy to compare this "dilemma" of Kobe's two numbers with the other Laker greats and their numbers. None of them played with two numbers, so retiring both #8 and #24 wouldn't imply that Kobe is superior to any of them (though who would seriously argue that he wasn't greater than Jamaal Wilkes?). Both numbers will be retired because he wore both. You'd have a valid point if they were talking about hanging #8 twice or #24 twice, but they're not. A decent case could even be made that the Lakers should "unretire" every single number unless they're willing to throw George Mikan's up there too because, as of today, his is not. Isn't that "unfair"? And before someone says that's different because the Lakers played in Minnesota back then, that doesn't change anything. It's still the Laker franchise, regardless of what city they were in. If it doesn't matter then why come the championships they won in Minnesota are credited to the Lakers instead of the Timberwolves?

Technically, no player can change their number "every" year because the NBA has a rule that restricts how often a player can do it (IIRC it's every three years).

Also, anyone who's of the 'He should only have one number retired' opinion, you shoot yourself in the foot by saying that the other number could be "unofficially" retired because no player would want to take it, whatever number it is. If that's the case then why not just retire it then since no player would wear it anyway?

It's a little surprising to me that there's even a debate about this subject. It's always been pretty obvious to me for years that they would end up retiring both. I'd be shocked if they didn't. I don't think any of the other greats would mind, either. Magic, for one, has been proud to call Kobe the greatest Laker ever. If his opinion was sought, I'd bet the farm and the kids that he'd have one of the loudest voices in support of both numbers being retired.

The one guy who I think might publicly make a stink about it is Kareem.

Personally, I would retire them both (of course I think Cooper should have his number retired). It's just wall decoration, and to the fans there's not a more popular living Laker right now than Kobe so what's the big deal.

Last edited by greenfrog on Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Retire the number he retired in. I thought I made this clear.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Put one in the rafters. Put the other on the statue. Simple.

It would look kind of tacky to have a row like...

#8 (Bryant) #34 (O'Neal) #24 (Bryant) #16 (Gasol)

But, then again, why not? .
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
22 wrote:

I would do this.

Solves everything.

JUST-MING wrote:
It's actually quite simple. Put one in the rafters. Put the other on the statue.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: