How would you feel if we finished with the worst record this year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Judah wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Nothing will be more depressing than last season. Even if they finish with the worst record at least it will have been done with a focus on getting better down the road and developing winning principles. That's not a waste.

lol.....They won 17 games last year and still only finished with the second worst record. To finish with the worst record would mean that they'll be just as bad, if not worse since Philly will be better with the addition of Simmons alone. This whole "well at least we have a competent coach, competent system, and the young guys are developing better than they were under Byron" thing sounds nice and comforting, and may even have a very small semblance of truth to it, but unless there's some devastating injuries, finishing with an identical record to last year's will be enormously frustrating and disappointing. I have a hard time imagining the Lakers being that bad again under Luke, let alone with the young guys getting more experience under their belts, and with these new additions.

In 2012-13 the worst team won 20 games, second worst won 21, third worst was at 24. It is possible they can suck, even suck the most, and still have made an improvement over last season. In 2006-2007 the Grizzles were at the bottom with 22 wins.

Sorry, but no lol. Just no. I wouldn't be satisfied with the team making some simple, minimal improvement over last year, just so we can all sit here and say 'Well, hey. At least they got a little bit better.' That's complete crap. It's not just about improving. That's setting the bar way too low imo if you consider how terrible they were last year under Byron. It should be significant improvement. I actually think this team is talented, far more talented than even most of the fan base thinks.

At the very least, I expect them to be better than advertised. I would be a little surprised if the win total isn't in the early 30's, honestly. I know that sounds banjo crazy to a lot of folks, but I believe in the young talent on this team, and it's not because of the typical fan bias. And yes, I know the old adage "young teams typically don't win a lot of games.' But there's always gonna be exceptions that come around every once in awhile that challenges conventional wisdom, and I see no clear reasons to think this team can't be one of them. No, I'm not making any predictions, but I'm high enough on the talent to not be surprised if they turn out to be far better than projected.

I also believe heavily in the free agent additions that have been made. Deng will be an enormous upgrade (on both ends) over the 20th year, banged up Kobe. And how much of an upgrade Mozgov (assuming he'll be in 2015 form) will be over Hibbert goes without saying.

I believe in Luke and his staff as well. Even for a rookie coach, I expect him to be unbelievable for the young guys and for the progression of the team overall. This team won't finish with the worst record unless they never get a realistic shot due to never-ending injuries.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject:

If that's the case, bring back the Tank Thread.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Golden_Emperor_24K wrote:
KBH wrote:
Not good because the team with the worst record typically loses less than 20 games. And while I'm not wrapped up in wins and losses for this season, it would be a troubling signal of a lack of progress.

yea we would definitely take a step back if we win 20 games. I think all our youngsters improved upon last season. I hope the veterans that we sign can contribute. It would be nice if Deng can give us 15 and 8 reb/game. And Mozgov can give us like 10 and 10 too atleast.

Mosgov has never come close to averaging 10 and 10.

He has only averaged more than 7 rebounds once in his career and that was when he averaged 7.8. His best year was 10.6 & 6.9 and that was a few years back.

We will be lucky to get 8 and 6 from Mosgov.
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject:

If we finish with worst record in the league, it would confirm my suspicions that alot of people on this forum severely overrate the Lakers young players.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject:

If I see a clear strategy of what they're trying to do, then I'll be fine.

I want to look at game 10 and game 70 and see a difference. I want to see everyone on the same page and attempting to run an offense.

If they are just outplayed due to lack of talent, I'm fine with it. These are young guys that will improve in time.

But if they look confused and directionless, like with Byron, then I'll be upset.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't really know how I felt about it until the draft lottery.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Unsurprised.
Boldarblood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject:

I am not looking at the record of the team this upcoming season. We are a team with a new coach, new system, a lot of youth, who just lost the face of the franchise. There is always a chance we finish with worst record.

What I am looking at is a change in the culture of the team, the transition to a new team leader and face. I am looking for the young players of last year to show growth and improvement.

I think they need a year or two to play together, to understand the culture that Luke will be installing. They need experience and time together. I would like to see the team improve through the year.

I am expecting a lot more in the 2nd season of the new Lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Everyone wants a rebuild until you have to actually rebuild. Can't have it both ways.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject:

We won't. 8-3 seeds in playoffs is our range
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject:

I'd be very disapointed and a little confused aswell. I think it'd take a couple of injuries to our best players to achieve that.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject:

Not going to happen with Luke. It's unfortunate because all the other 29 teams will want to tank after the Warriors are through with them.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject:

Poorly.

I expect 28 wins or so at least. Anything less and that means some players underwhelmed.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

It would suck not to see enough improvement to be more competitive but youth doesn't win in the NBA and we need to stockpile as many young assets as we can.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject:

This rebuild was always going to require multiple stages, and each stage might take several years.
Stage 1: build through the draft, get a competent coach, and implement rational (and modern) offensive & defensive systems. We're in the first year of stage 1

Stage 2: Improve enough in Stage 1 so that we are attractive enough to get top-tier free agents. Not the LBJ's, Durant's, Westbrooke, etc super star level, but the top guys just below that.

Stage 3: Improve enough in Stage 2 that we can attract the superstar level free agents.

It was a given that Stage 1 was going to require a minimum of 2-3 years, and we're in year 1. We got rid of Scott, who had no rational offensive or defensive systems at all - and for all practical purposes, we're starting from scratch with a lot of the roster made up of rookies or rookie equivalents (Russell & Randle with 1 year under BS doesn't really count for beans). They're going to have to learn a new system, learn how to play organized ball in the NBA, learn how to play together in a motion offense, etc.

I always predicted they'd finish in the bottom 6 teams in the league. Having them finish as the worst team wouldn't be surprising at all. At the same time, if they finished as the 8th worst team, that wouldn't surprise me at all either.

What I expect is that they try every night (no quit, no full-game garbage time like under BS), that they learn a lot and make progress, that they improve a lot as the season goes on, and Walton proves he can be a head coach in the NBA.

If they do that, they're setting themselves up to be more effective in year 2.

They are effectively in year1 of a multi-year, multi-stage rebuild process. I'm prepared for lots of losses.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
LakERIC
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject:

There're 3+ reasons why I wouldn't be too upset if we were the 3rd, second or worst team this coming season:

Dennis Smith

Josh Jackson

Harry Giles

The 2017 Draft class may very well be one of the best draft classes we've seem comprehensively in a long time.

Notable players

Lonzo Ball

Malik Monk

Markelle Fultz

Jonathan Isaac

Bam Adebayo
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject:

LakERIC wrote:
There're 3+ reasons why I wouldn't be too upset if we were the 3rd, second or worst team this coming season:

Dennis Smith

Josh Jackson

Harry Giles

The 2017 Draft class may very well be one of the best draft classes we've seem comprehensively in a long time.

Notable players

Lonzo Ball

Malik Monk

Markelle Fultz

Jonathan Isaac

Bam Adebayo

Maybe we can tank for the 2017-2018 season as well. How about we tank forever and get ALL the best players!
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to believe that this team's floor is 25-30 Ws. If that can get us the worst record so be it, it'd leave us with great odds to retain our pick. However anything less than those totals would be very disappointing to me.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject:

I am staying the hell away from prospects until early next year unless we are a true eyesore. Our luck with this pick will run out eventually.

Markelle Fultz tho
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject:

The first month will be a real test. We should have a good idea where we stand come Dec 1st
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
The first month will be a real test. We should have a good idea where we stand come Dec 1st

Not necessarily. Even if we play badly in the first month, it could still be due to chemistry and unfamiliar with the new system. I would give them more time.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject:

Ingram, DLo, JC, Randle, Nance, Zubac, Black, Brown

maybe not Brown

Just need 1 of this guy to hit it big then start to cater the built around him
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
LakERIC wrote:

Dennis Smith

Josh Jackson

Harry Giles

Notable players

Lonzo Ball

Malik Monk

Markelle Fultz

Jonathan Isaac

Bam Adebayo

Maybe we can tank for the 2017-2018 season as well. How about we tank forever and get ALL the best players!

We won't have a pick by then anyways
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject:

If we end up with #2 again, must pick Josh Jackson.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
We won't. 8-3 seeds in playoffs is our range

I admire your optimism.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
Jump to: