Luke Walton Discusses Outlook on the Team and a Successful Season
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kei122
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Luke Walton Discusses Outlook on the Team and a Successful Season

Chris McGee sat down with Head Coach, Luke Walton to talk about his new job, playing alongside Kobe Bryant and being part of a championship team.

Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject:

What a breath of fresh air. Luke understands people and what motivates them. Yes, you want your players to have discipline, but Luke understands this is a business, not a college program. He who shall not be named just sucked all the joy out of the game.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject:

I see a lot of Phil Jackson and George Mumford rubbing off on him, which isn't a surprise since Phil Jackson employed Mumford to work with the Bulls and Lakers. Mumford, who emphasized mindfulness and meditation, would tell Kobe or Jordan the best way to drop 50 is to not worry about dropping 50. Similarly, the trick to winning for the Lakers next season is to keep the expectations in perspective. The expectation isn't to win, but to play the game the right way, which is by playing mindfully, moving the ball, building cohesiveness and unity, etc. The result of all the above actions is... wins. It's a little foolish to worry about wins at this point, but it's just a matter of time before they start clicking. It could be as early as next season.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject:

Bill Walton is smart, he knows he doesn't have the talent to make the playoffs or even come close to it so he uses a word that we've heard before. It's the process that counts and how the players play the game. I remember Dwight Howard using that word after every loss under Brown and a motion offense. Ultimately wins is what a coach is graded on, and fans, the TWC network, and FO will increase the pressure. His methods will eventually be the spotlight and will be criticized till no end, and then fans will realize talent is the determining factor.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject:

He looks like he's been coaching in the NBA for years.

Getting Luke was a mega move for this franchise. Props to Jim Buss and Mitch.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject:

can't open the link right now. did he say anything about projected wins from ESPN or what he is aiming for in wins?
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Bill Walton is smart, he knows he doesn't have the talent to make the playoffs or even come close to it so he uses a word that we've heard before. It's the process that counts and how the players play the game. I remember Dwight Howard using that word after every loss under Brown and a motion offense. Ultimately wins is what a coach is graded on, and fans, the TWC network, and FO will increase the pressure. His methods will eventually be the spotlight and will be criticized till no end, and then fans will realize talent is the determining factor.

Cool, but I wonder what Luke thinks?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

Uh... Ok?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

For championships? Probably. For playoffs? Most likely not. You can coach talent-less teams into the playoffs.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

For championships? Probably. For playoffs? Most likely not. You can coach talent-less teams into the playoffs.

I think Rick Carlisle was the best NBA coach last season. Dallas had no business making the playoffs.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

I think Rick Carlisle was the best NBA coach last season. Dallas had no business making the playoffs.

Which is why Im confident Luke and his staff can make the team overachieve.

All you need is a leader and the players will play with effort.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject:

Luke's such an upbeat and positive guy.
I hope no matter how our season goes, he can keep this attitude.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject:

Luke "Theodore" Walton
Geeter ain't have to do eem like that! hahaha

I'm more impressed with Luke every time he talks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

I agree. Not the best coach, but best overall coach?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
He looks like he's been coaching in the NBA for years.

Getting Luke was a mega move for this franchise. Props to Jim Buss and Mitch.

Not the best move, but best overall move of the off-season?
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

I'm convinced that LoyalLakerfan44 is indeed a member of the Scott family. I would say he's Byron himself, but we all know Byron can't use a computer. Too new school
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject:

Bill Walton is our coach now? Interesting.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Bill Walton is our coach now? Interesting.
\

Not interesting. It's the most incredible thing in the history of Western civilization.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject:

How many wins?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject:

"Whether we're winging or losing I think it's more important that we are continuing to play a certain way. With learning new things there's always going to be some setbacks because guys aren't used to it, but then all of a sudden they start clicking and start playing better off of each other and now all of a sudden as a group we're a much better team and a more dangerous team"

Then goes on to downplay the win total.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
How many wins?

No one from the org will answer that in terms of success even though you know they have a number.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Good interview. Luke the homie
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
"Whether we're winging or losing I think it's more important that we are continuing to play a certain way. With learning new things there's always going to be some setbacks because guys aren't used to it, but then all of a sudden they start clicking and start playing better off of each other and now all of a sudden as a group we're a much better team and a more dangerous team"

Playing it smart.

What the heck is the point of bringing up the win total or projection? Obviously he knows about the teams potential and knows what we can really do something if everything comes together.

Luke isn't gonna lay out the grand plan... Let ESPN have fun with there projections regarding the Lakers, Luke knows about the teams potential more then anyone else.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Playing it smart.

What the heck is the point of bringing up the win total or projection? Obviously he knows about the teams potential and knows what we can really do something if everything comes together.

Luke isn't gonna lay out the grand plan... Let ESPN have fun with there projections regarding the Lakers, Luke knows about the teams potential more then anyone else.

It sounds like he's predicting a bad start.

But yeah, as a coach, downplaying expectations is always smart.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: