Lakers Creative with Yi Jianlian Contract
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Finally, the Lakers project to have as much as $31.7 million in cap space next summer. That assumes a $102 million salary cap, and that the Lakers do not have their first-round pick, which will go to the Philadelphia 76ers if not in the top three (still owed for the Steve Nash trade).

It also presumes the Lakers pick up rookie-scale options on D’Angelo Russell, Larry Nance Jr. and Randle – and that the team can get Young completely off their books before next July.

emplay--

It also assumes that the unguaranteed contracts of Black, Huertas and Brown are not picked up, right?

68.6M for 9 players, and cap space for the other six spots.

Do you expect to see more contracts similar to Yi's in the NBA? Not as dramatic bu the same concept. Ballooning cap, teams hedging against risk, and if the player is a risk taker, it could be a solution.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject:

That max cap number means no Huertas and Black

I think this contract with Yi was very circumstantial
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject:

Question: what is Yi's cap hold next year if he finishes the year with the team but doesn't hit the top of the games played mark? Is it a function of the $8 million or the realized salary?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject:

The 8 mil
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:

Why is there no interest in Montiejunas or Smith in the FA market? Do those teams hold bird rights?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject:

Smith is a headache ... DMo restricted
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:

If that smith for young deal is still on the table I would love to see it happen, but that rumor came from those baseless sites like Yibada and Inquistor.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

Josh Smith? For young ?.... That's not even close to legal. Rockets renounced Smith.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Josh Smith? For young ?.... That's not even close to legal. Rockets renounced Smith.

I was speaking about JR Smith.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Jr? Ha
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject:

I've wondered if BRK will make a run at DMO. My guess is that the issue with him early was the ask and now that should be falling some. Best scenario for him is to look for a team looking to disincentivize a match. Reminds a bit of the Pekovic situation a few years ago. Maybe the injury issues are serious.

If they lose DMO and if Anderson isn't fully healthy Yi could interest them.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject:

yammy1688 wrote:
Thank you!!!
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

Thanks Eric!
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Some great insight, Eric! Thanks!
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject:

I believe this kind of creativity won't survive the next CBA. All risks are in player's hands as he can be waived with nearly no guarantee. OK, Yi must be very confident he'll reach the milestones, but I don't see this kind of contract becoming standard before NBPA acts.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Actually non or partially guaranteed contracts are very common, this is that but in a different form, nothing outrageous
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Actually non or partially guaranteed contracts are very common, this is that but in a different form, nothing outrageous

I see, but what I got from your article is that the creative part is not on being fully or partially guaranteed, but on the bonus scale, making the difference between the total contract ($ 8m) and the guarantee salary ($ 340K) so huge that this contract more attractive to be dealt than to be kept.

Unless Yi plays really well, the possibility of a trade where another team can shave $ 12m off the books, paying $340K for that is very tempting.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
emplay wrote:

I see, but what I got from your article is that the creative part is not on being fully or partially guaranteed, but on the bonus scale, making the difference between the total contract ($ 8m) and the guarantee salary ($ 340K) so huge that this contract more attractive to be dealt than to be kept.

Unless Yi plays really well, the possibility of a trade where another team can shave $ 12m off the books, paying $340K for that is very tempting.

The question is whether the team shaving off a contract is trying to trade away a player with multiple years left on the deal; if so I don't see it as the Lakers are looking for a max slot in 2017.

And if it's an expiring, how much more does a player that's being cast off in a trade do for the Lakers anyways? (unless of course we get some draft picks out of it).
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject:

Yi's deal is super epic if you look at it.

If he performs? Good we finally have another good player

If he doesn't? We can essentially use his contract to match salaries in a potential Cousins or WB trade.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

Odds are not favorable the Lakers cash out Yi in trade but he could help if an opportunity arises
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject:

I think that is you can ask, trying to have desirable contracts in case a deal is possible to help the club.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
emplay wrote:

The question is whether the team shaving off a contract is trying to trade away a player with multiple years left on the deal; if so I don't see it as the Lakers are looking for a max slot in 2017.

And if it's an expiring, how much more does a player that's being cast off in a trade do for the Lakers anyways? (unless of course we get some draft picks out of it).

You think they consider trading it for a player whose contract expires in 2018? I can't help but to feel with Westbrook not in the 2017 market, they might just punt for WB or PG in 2018. Trading Yi's contract for a non-expiring could possibly net the Lakers 1st rounder. Though I'm not sure they would do that without knowing for sure Hayward, Griffin, etc. won't also come to LA.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Still a reasonable chance that George restructures his deal and stays longer in Indy
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Any reason why Sacramento hasn't had much luck in trading Koufus/Gay/McLemore despite the fact that they have been available for a while now?

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Because they're not very good, lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: