Colin Kaepernick - Update pg 21, settlement agreed to
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

I would be surprised if they paid him anywhere near that much, if they paid him anything at all. You never know, though.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I would be surprised if they paid him anywhere near that much, if they paid him anything at all. You never know, though.

If they paid him anything at all? Oh, dude got paid. It's just a question of how much.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I have similar thoughts as you unless Kap had legitimate tangible evidence that has never been disclosed.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I have similar thoughts as you unless Kap had legitimate tangible evidence that has never been disclosed.

That's what I was thinking. I don't think wealthy people will give money unless they have no other alternative.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Would Kaepernick settle for non-payment?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

There’s about as much tangible evidence of collusion against kaep as there is that water is wet. You’d have to be an idiot or an ideologue (but I repeat myself) to think anything other than that he was frozen out by the league.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

There’s about as much tangible evidence of collusion against kaep as there is that water is wet. You’d have to be an idiot or an ideologue (but I repeat myself) to think anything other than that he was frozen out by the league.

right, that is how it works
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

More
Number NFL team officials are speculating to me is the NFL paid Kaepernick in the $60 to $80 million range.

Good for him! So I guess this is split evenly between all the clubs?

$1.875 - $2.5M each?

That sounds like a low number.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

No. He's just signed a 6 year contract worth $126 million right before all shat hit the fan. I'd bet good money that his "settlement" approximates the cash he missed out on. So that $80 million mark that's been bandied about seems about right. And NFL front office personnel can make pretty good guesses based on the non-disclosed contributions they are making to the league. Two or three executives chatting with one another about a mystery $2 million non line itemized bill from the league provides a pretty good clue as to just what the payout was.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

No. He's just signed a 6 year contract worth $126 million right before all shat hit the fan. I'd bet good money that his "settlement" approximates the cash he missed out on. So that $80 million mark that's been bandied about seems about right. And NFL front office personnel can make pretty good guesses based on the non-disclosed contributions they are making to the league. Two or three executives chatting with one another about a mystery $2 million non line itemized bill from the league provides a pretty good clue as to just what the payout was.

he restructured his contract after that deal, and most of the $126 Million was not guaranteed from the beginning. I have no idea what he got paid in the settlement, but if his winnings was based on missed wages, there is nobody that could make a legit case he would have made $80 Million+ over the rest of his career.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

he restructured his contract after that deal, and most of the $126 Million was not guaranteed from the beginning. I have no idea what he got paid in the settlement, but if his winnings was based on missed wages, there is nobody that could make a legit case he would have made $80 Million+ over the rest of his career.

Colin had already collected $43 million in his career, and at the same point Nick Foles had collected $20 million in his. At the very same point in their careers, nobody would have thought Foles would earn another $40 million in his career, yet he has. There is no way to predict the trajectory of a young QB's career, and the NFL has proven it would takes chances on QB's who've experienced successful Playoff runs (See Flacco). But the point is, what would it have taken for Colin to just go away? NFL owners had a vested interest in not having their dirty laundry aired by having the lawsuit move forward. #2mil per owner seems completely reasonable considering the continued PR mess over the nexr 2 years. I think the NFL offices estimates of $60-$80 mil to be spot on,and also in line with what Colin would accept to go away.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject:

^
Yes, I think it goes beyond just whatever his future wages may have been. If there is incriminating evidence against the NFL in the form of emails and whatnot, and if it would've come out during the case, the NFL has a vested interest in making sure that that information does not come out. And how much is that worth to the league?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Actually, I think it is unlikely that there was collusion. But that’s irrelevant at this point. Eventually, the settlement terms may leak out. For now, the numbers being thrown around are just made up.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Yes, I think it goes beyond just whatever his future wages may have been. If there is incriminating evidence against the NFL in the form of emails and whatnot, and if it would've come out during the case, the NFL has a vested interest in making sure that that information does not come out. And how much is that worth to the league?

And the fact that the current CBA expires next year also comes into play. There's likely things that would have come out in discovery that the owners wouldn't want the NFLPA to have added to their negotiating warchest. They've an interest in having the matter take a backseat as opposed to still being front and center.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject:

Lawyers, is there a time expiration limit on sport league collusion like this? Can Chris Jackson sue the NBA too?
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I would agree if I thought he was a good qb, but personally I was not impressed with his play. Let’s just put it this way. If the Rams picked him up I wouldn’t be thinking to myself “OMG we just improved our chances of winning a ring.”
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

I thought the case of owners colluding against Barry Bonds was better (unless there is evidence against NFL owners that we don’t know about):

Quote:
Borris also lamented the way owners squeezed Bonds out of the game. In 2007, Bonds hit an absurd .276/.480/.565, leading the league in walks and on-base percentage and ranking second in park-adjusted offense. Yet Bonds couldn't get a sniff from any team the following year, not for DH duty, not as a pinch-hitter, not at the league-minimum salary, not even when Borris offered to donate all of that league-minimum salary to kids' charities.

LINK
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I would agree if I thought he was a good qb, but personally I was not impressed with his play. Let’s just put it this way. If the Rams picked him up I wouldn’t be thinking to myself “OMG we just improved our chances of winning a ring.”

Yup, but when Washington ran out of qbs, who did they call?

Mark Sanchez.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Yup, but when Washington ran out of qbs, who did they call?

Mark Sanchez.

I do think Kaep is good enough to be in the league, definitely. But we have seen teams reluctant to pick up better players because there was a fear of a distraction.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject:

I mean, Cleveland just signed serial woman beater and all around violent (bleep) Kareem Hunt. Seems like a distraction to me.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

That’s a fair response if we are talking about contending teams in the offseason deciding between him and some of the top guys. It when you realize there are a hundred odd QB’s in the league, and that number goes up as injuries occur, and guys who have been out of the league are getting signed for backup gigs, and he can’t get signed even to a bench gig, when almost any expert will put him well within the top 50?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject:

For perspective:

Quarterbacks who have led their team to a SuperBowl berth in the past 7 years:

Tom Brady = 4
Russell Wilson =2
Peyton Manning = 1
Colin Kaepernick = 1
Joe Flacco = 1
Cam Newton = 1
Matt Ryan = 1
Nick Foles = 1
Jared Goff = 1

Notable QB's who couldn't get their team there during that timeframe

Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger
Drew Brees
Andrew Luck
Phillip Rivers
Kirk Cousins (and his monster contract)
Derek Carr
Eli Manning
Patrick Mahomes

Partial list of garbage QB's starting in the NFL over that timeframe:

Mark Sanchez
Josh Jackson
Sam Bradford
Case Keenum
Josh McCown
Jacoby Brissett
David Garrard
Luke McCown
Trent Edwards
Todd Bauman
Blaine Gabbert
Chad Henne
Blake Bortles
Cody Kessler
EJ Manuel
Thad Lewis
Jeff Tuel
Matt Barkley
Greg McElroy
Geno Smith
Bryce Petty
Brandon Weedon
Brian Hoyer
Connor Shaw
Austin Davis
Kevin Hogan
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
I mean, Cleveland just signed serial woman beater and all around violent (bleep) Kareem Hunt. Seems like a distraction to me.

That’s just not a big news story compared to Kaepernick signing with a team. People who don’t even give a (bleep) about football will hate on him and if you bring up Kareem Hunt they will say “Kareem who?”
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

That’s a fair response if we are talking about contending teams in the offseason deciding between him and some of the top guys. It when you realize there are a hundred odd QB’s in the league, and that number goes up as injuries occur, and guys who have been out of the league are getting signed for backup gigs, and he can’t get signed even to a bench gig, when almost any expert will put him well within the top 50?

Has he been willing to take a lot less money to be a backup? Maybe he has been. And I thought the Ravens wanted to sign him.

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit of owners colluded with him after that. I’m just not sure about that.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject:

Wow.

WATCH: NFL Vet Larry Johnson Slams Kaepernick for Taking Money 'From the Oppressor'

Quote:

“The one-time All-Pro running back is furious that Kaepernick “corrupted and diluted his message” by taking the hush money, according to TMZ Sports.”

“The former running back accused Kaepernick of giving the NFL “a way out” by accepting the settlement.”

“Johnson also slammed Kaepernick’s contract with Nike saying, “You don’t turn your message into a Nike hoodie.””
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 22 of 26
Jump to: