Lakers sign Auguste... Waived 10/12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject:

He looked a little raw offensively, but with amazing hustle. Seems coachable too. I honestly don't think he would make the cut in the NBA unless he was a lockdown defender. Or pretty darn close to it.

That being said, I'm glad we have more time to take a better look at him. He did stand out, and no it wasn't just the hair. Welcome aboard man.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
He looked a little raw offensively, but with amazing hustle. Seems coachable too. I honestly don't think he would make the cut in the NBA unless he was a lockdown defender. Or pretty darn close to it.

That being said, I'm glad we have more time to take a better look at him. He did stand out, and no it wasn't just the hair. Welcome aboard man.

I think his worse case scenario is Ronny Turiaf, but if he fulfills his potential I can see him being a Taj Gibson.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers have now officially signed undrafted free agent rookie Zach Auguste, inviting him to camp and moving the roster to 16 players

Quote:
Essentially the entire point of the NBA Summer League beyond getting young draft picks repetitions is to try and scout talent. In theory, teams invite players to see if they believe those guys can help the team in the regular season or down the road in any way. One such player with the Los Angeles Lakers at Summer League was forward Zach Auguste.

Auguste went undrafted coming out of Notre Dame, where he spent four years with the program. However, that he went unselected in June’s draft was shocking to some. Auguste proved in college that he had admirable energy in addition to leadership and rebounding attributes worthy of writing home about. Thus, it was only a matter of time before the Lakers invited him to Summer League.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2016/08/29/lakers-zach-auguste-signing-rookie-official/
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject:

I watched 2 Summer League games, and i was impressed by Zach (of course the competition was also Summer League). Good call Mitch!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject:

He's a "Heart and Soul" player, through and through

Also has unfinished business with Ingram

1:07
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Don't mind him getting a shot, but he's not NBA caliber at this stage of his career. Who knows, maybe a year with the D-Fenders will do him good.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject:

A more recent video of what he's added to his game - https://www.instagram.com/p/BJDsEZTgY_O/?taken-by=zachauguste.

I think the SL practices benefited him greatly. Seems like the coaching staff gave him a laundry list of things to work on and he's worked on them or is working on them. It would appear he's expanded his perimeter game.

He's roughly 6'11'' (listed as 6'10'' and 3/4), but he has incredible mobility and a three point shot now.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:15 am    Post subject:

We could have a line up like this: Randle as playmaker, Deng and Nance as wingers and Jianlian as a stretch 5:

PG: Julius Randle
SG: Luol Deng
SF: Larry Nance
PF: Zach Auguste
C: Yi Jianlian

A line up made only with PFs.

---> Yes, I'm joking...
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
We could have a line up like this: Randle as playmaker, Deng and Nance as wingers and Jianlian as a stretch 5:

PG: Julius Randle
SG: Luol Deng
SF: Larry Nance
PF: Zach Auguste
C: Yi Jianlian

A line up made only with PFs.

---> Yes, I'm joking...

then we'll be west sixers (i think they actually have more PFs than us, even with Augustus)
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject:

Any chance he makes the team? Just a camp body?

I know some have been high on him since SL. I was lukewarm on his performance. JMO.

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out in camp. Unless someone is moved I can not see Yi, Auguste and Black all making the 15 man roster.

What am I missing?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject:

Camp body. Likely DLeague candidate and possible call up if we trade some players 12/15.

Way too much of a logjam at the big man spots.

I think there is a chance at the wing spot if the Lakers waive Swaggy.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject:

ZA is an infectious energy guy. He has a tenacious non-stop motor.
He is not the most skilled or talented player but no one will out-hustle this kid.
If not the Lakers, the D-Fenders would love and need a player like Zach.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject:

In my mind, I keep thinking, Zach vs Tarik...what's the difference between the two?

Both are considered hustle players.
I believe they are both C/PF

Who has the higher ceiling?

Zach is taller (6'11? vs 6'9)
Zach is younger

I really haven't seen many Zach highlights to know much about him.

What does Zach offer that Tarik doesn't?

Shot blocking?
Post defense?
Man to man defense?
Ball handling?
Shooting?
Passing?
Strength?
Speed/quickness?
Bball IQ?

How do the two compare?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
In my mind, I keep thinking, Zach vs Tarik...what's the difference between the two?

Both are considered hustle players.
I believe they are both C/PF

Who has the higher ceiling?

Zach is taller (6'11? vs 6'9)
Zach is younger

I really haven't seen many Zach highlights to know much about him.

What does Zach offer that Tarik doesn't?

Shot blocking?
Post defense?
Man to man defense?
Ball handling?
Shooting?
Passing?
Strength?
Speed/quickness?
Bball IQ?

How do the two compare?

Well. One has a 6m/deal.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

I know some have been high on him since SL. I was lukewarm on his performance. JMO.

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out in camp. Unless someone is moved I can not see Yi, Auguste and Black all making the 15 man roster.

What am I missing?

It will be interesting. The details of his contract have yet to emerge. We know Travis Wear will be on a training camp contract, which is around 50-100k from my understanding. It is unknown at this point what contract Auguste has, though he and Larry are having a bromance on Twitter regarding the signing. The interesting thing is that the Lakers official site came out with a press release for his signing. I have a hunch that it is not a training camp contract but we'll have to wait and see.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

What am I missing?

It will be interesting. The details of his contract have yet to emerge. We know Travis Wear will be on a training camp contract, which is around 50-100k from my understanding. It is unknown at this point what contract Auguste has, though he and Larry are having a bromance on Twitter regarding the signing. The interesting thing is that the Lakers official site came out with a press release for his signing. I have a hunch that it is not a training camp contract but we'll have to wait and see.

I don't think the Lakers could technically offer him a deal as they are at 15 players on the roster. It likely is a camp invite.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

What am I missing?

I don't think the Lakers could technically offer him a deal as they are at 15 players on the roster. It likely is a camp invite.

That has yet to be revealed. If the reports of them waiving/stretching Young soon are accurate, that will make him the last man on the roster.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

What am I missing?

That has yet to be revealed. If the reports of them waiving/stretching Young soon are accurate, that will make him the last man on the roster.

I doubt he gets more than a training invite. We have a massive logjam at the big men position to a point where Black/Yi/Zub/Moz will be fighting for 48 minutes at the C spot. What is the point of adding a 5th center?

If Young is waived and somehow the Lakers find it necessary to add a 5th center, then sure, but doubtful.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

What am I missing?

I doubt he gets more than a training invite. We have a massive logjam at the big men position to a point where Black/Yi/Zub/Moz will be fighting for 48 minutes at the C spot. What is the point of adding a 5th center?

And no, Yi signed his deal making it 15 as of now. Zach signed something yesterday so we know it's likely a training camp invite for now. If Young is waived and somehow the Lakers find it necessary to add a 5th center, then sure, but doubtful.

1) He's not a traditional big like Mozgov or Zubac. He's listed as a forward who can slide over to the 5 spot when needed. And from the looks of it, he's added a three point shot to his arsenal. There is a glut of bigs, but that doesn't necessarily eliminate Auguste from making the roster. He brings an entirely different skillset to the table than the players you listed, and he's mobile enough to defend multiple positions.

2) I'll reiterate: if they waive young as the reports are saying, Auguste will be the 15th man on the roster. Unlike Auguste, we know Travis Wear is a confirmed training camp contract. They have 5 slots for training camp invites and Travis Wear is the only confirmed one.

3) Details of the contract have not been disclosed for some reason:

Quote:
Details of the contract were not disclosed, but the team made the announcement following up a report an agreement was in place last week.

If it was a training camp contract, I believe they would have disclosed it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:

1) He's not a traditional big like Mozgov or Zubac. He's listed as a forward who can slide over to the 5 spot when needed. And from the looks of it, he's added a three point shot to his arsenal. There is a glut of bigs, but that doesn't necessarily eliminate Auguste from making the roster. He brings an entirely different skillset to the table than the players you listed, and he's mobile enough to defend multiple positions.

He's not a PF in the NBA. He has no range on his game, and even if he is, there's a major logjam at the PF with Randle/Nance/Deng/(possibly Yi).

Lakers rarely discuss the details of the contract. If it was MORE than just a training camp invite, I think we'd hear about that as it would be surprising.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject:

If anything, if Young is waived, the Lakers likely keep that 15th spot open (traditionally what they do).

Or, they find a wing player who can guard, unless you think DLO/JC/Lou/Calderon/Huertas will stop guards.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

He's not a PF in the NBA. He has no range on his game, and even if he is, there's a major logjam at the PF with Randle/Nance/Deng/(possibly Yi).

Lakers rarely discuss the details of the contract. If it was MORE than just a training camp invite, I think we'd hear about that as it would be surprising.

1) He was playing PF in the summer league. In the Jazz game, he got the start next to Zubac. He would be seeing time as a 4 and 5 if he makes the roster. As far as what he needs to work on, it would appear they told him to add a three point shot to his game, which he has been doing. It's also worth noting he was matched up against Ingram during the scrimmages. so from a mobility standpoint, he is capable of defending both the forward and center spots.

2) That's the thing - they were quick to reveal Wear's contract as a training camp contract. Wouldn't it make sense to say the same for Auguste? There appears to be dissonance there.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

1) He was playing PF in the summer league. In the Jazz game, he got the start next to Zubac. He would be seeing time as a 4 and 5 if he makes the roster. As far as what he needs to work on, it would appear they told him to add a three point shot to his game, which he has been doing. It's also worth noting he was matched up against Ingram during the scrimmages. so from a mobility standpoint, he is capable of defending both the forward and center spots.

2) That's the thing - they were quick to reveal Wear's contract as a training camp contract. Wouldn't it make sense to say the same for Auguste? There appears to be dissonance there.

Again, please explain to me why he's so important to have a guaranteed roster spot when we have:

PFs: Randle, Nance, Deng, (Yi)
C: Moz, Yi, Black, Zub.

When would Auguste ever see the court?

Compare that to our thinner guard rotation:

PG: DLO, Calderon, Huertas
SG: JC, Lou, maybe Brown.

I think Auguste is a nice hustle player but with the minutes crunch at PF/C, not sure why he'd be a priority.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Again, please explain to me why he's so important to have a guaranteed roster spot when we have:

PFs: Randle, Nance, Deng, (Yi)
C: Moz, Yi, Black, Zub.

When would Auguste ever see the court?

Compare that to our thinner guard rotation:

PG: DLO, Calderon, Huertas
SG: JC, Lou, maybe Brown.

I think Auguste is a nice hustle player but with the minutes crunch at PF/C, not sure why he'd be a priority.

1) If he is indeed making the roster, which isn't a certainty just yet, I wouldn't expect him to see any time as a 15th man. I would expect him to be an exceptional practice player, however. From my understanding, he was part of the summer league practice dynamic that made the team successful during the games. I can't speak for the coaching staff, but there must have seen enough to bring him back.

2) As far as the guard rotation, Luke has talked about Ingram seeing time at the 2 spot. Add Brown, who will also likely slide over to the 2 at times, and I don't think there is much concern there.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject:

I think we're reading a bit too much into this.

I don't think he's received a guaranteed deal at all. Regardless of what his deal is, he will have to earn it at training camp as we have 15 guaranteed deals as of now.

If Swaggy is cut, I don't anticipate the Lakers adding another center/big man as we are already way overstocked there.

I can see Auguste as a DLeague guy who may be called up if we clear out the big man rotation clutter.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: