Lakers sign Auguste... Waived 10/12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject:

Good luck to Zach. He works hard, but the skillset is missing. He's really a hustle player but I'll go with Moz/Yi/Zub/Black over Auguste, and at the PF position, Jules/Nance/Deng is a good rotation already.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject:

We do have a lot of big men on the roster, but we don't have a lot of good all round big men defenders who play center on the team. ZA is taller and longer than TB and very athletic.

Yi- not sure about his defense, he was not that good in his last NBA stint.

TB- good all round defender, can guard pick and roll. But he is rather short to play center.

Randle- not a good defender.

Zubloka- is young and raw. He is comparatively slow, so he will likely never be a good P&R defender, but he is good as a rim protector.

Mozzer- is slow and not a good P&R defender. A good rim protector.

Nance- good all round defender, but way to small to play center for many minutes.

If ZA can really hit a 3, I can see him sticking on the team.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Good luck to Zach. He works hard, but the skillset is missing. He's really a hustle player but I'll go with Moz/Yi/Zub/Black over Auguste, and at the PF position, Jules/Nance/Deng is a good rotation already.

I think he would play center.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
We do have a lot of big men on the roster, but we don't have a lot of good all round big men defenders who play center on the team. ZA is taller and longer than TB and very athletic.

TB- good all round defender, can guard pick and roll. But he is rather short to play center.

Zubloka- is young and raw. He is comparatively slow, so he will likely never be a good P&R defender, but he is good as a rim protector.

Nance- good all round defender, but way to small to play center for many minutes.

Hit a 3?

He took 1 3 in 4 years of college.

I just remember Zach clanking FT after FT in one of the SPL games that we lost. I also remember him missing wide open layups too in the same game. But he did show a lot of hustle and grit.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject:

I am certainly liking with the upgrades at center no matter how this camp works out.

Last year was Hibbert and Sacre and two hardworking undersized players in Bass and Black. Now several options and skillsets to work with in this group.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject:

I can see Zach being linked with the Lakers this year (DLeague call up) or next (replacement for Black). I think the hope is they continue this relationship, even if there's no real spot for him on this roster.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think we're reading a bit too much into this.

I don't think he's received a guaranteed deal at all. Regardless of what his deal is, he will have to earn it at training camp as we have 15 guaranteed deals as of now.

If Swaggy is cut, I don't anticipate the Lakers adding another center/big man as we are already way overstocked there.

I can see Auguste as a DLeague guy who may be called up if we clear out the big man rotation clutter.

Well, we know Travis Wear is officially one of the five training camp invites. It is unclear whether Auguste is in this category, which is why we'll have to wait until the terms are disclosed. My own guess is that the details of his contract are secret right now because they don't want to risk other teams poaching him when training camp is over.

As far as the big rotation, even Yi isn't guaranteed minutes (see contract structure), which is why the competition in training camp and preseason will be beautiful. If a big is seeing minutes, it won't be because of seniority (see Hibbert last season). It will be because it is earned.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject:

Sigh. This is freakin' Zach Auguste, a fringe NBA player.

Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Hit a 3?

I just remember Zach clanking FT after FT in one of the SPL games that we lost. I also remember him missing wide open layups too in the same game. But he did show a lot of hustle and grit.

Sorry I was quoting MindCripper about his increased shooting range:

A more recent video of what he's added to his game - https://www.instagram.com/p/BJDsEZTgY_O/?taken-by=zachauguste.

I think the SL practices benefited him greatly. Seems like the coaching staff gave him a laundry list of things to work on and he's worked on them or is working on them. It would appear he's expanded his perimeter game.

He's roughly 6'11'' (listed as 6'10'' and 3/4), but he has incredible mobility and a three point shot now.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

That is true! But this is summer and hope springs eternal.

Honestly, there were a lot of good NBA caliber players that went undrafted this year. ZA does fill a position of need on this team- a good athletic defensive big man. And he has 4 years of college under his belt. IMO has a shot to make the roster. It will be a fun training camp with all of these guys going at it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That is true! But this is summer and hope springs eternal.

Honestly, there were a lot of good NBA caliber players that went undrafted this year. ZA does fill a position of need on this team- a good athletic defensive big man. And he has 4 years of college under his belt. IMO has a shot to make the roster. It will be a fun training camp with all of these guys going at it.

We differ. But oh well. I think his role is amply covered by the guys we have.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I can see Zach being linked with the Lakers this year (DLeague call up) or next (replacement for Black). I think the hope is they continue this relationship, even if there's no real spot for him on this roster.

I read somewhere that the Lakers will have rights to both Auguste and Wear as D League call ups. That'll most likely be their role for this year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Hit a 3?

Sorry I was quoting MindCripper about his increased shooting range:

A more recent video of what he's added to his game - https://www.instagram.com/p/BJDsEZTgY_O/?taken-by=zachauguste.

I think the SL practices benefited him greatly. Seems like the coaching staff gave him a laundry list of things to work on and he's worked on them or is working on them. It would appear he's expanded his perimeter game.

He's roughly 6'11'' (listed as 6'10'' and 3/4), but he has incredible mobility and a three point shot now.

Sure, but that's a major leap to say he's a stretch big. He certainly didn't do that in college.

I hope that he stays with our DLeague. I can easily see him replacing Black next year.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject:

In an interview on DX, he mentioned that he was working on his faceup game, but he didn't really display that in the SL. He's a good energy guy, decent roll man, but doesn't do much else. Maybe Auguste come into camp with a faceup game, but I need to see it first. In a vacuum, Tarik does pretty much everything better, as the hustle undersized big man. Our bigs are pretty much split into different categories: stretch bigs (Yi and Wear), energy bigs (Auguste, Black, Larry, Julius), bruisers (Zubac, Mozgov, Randle), and athletic bigs (Nance, Julius, Black)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
In an interview on DX, he mentioned that he was working on his faceup game, but he didn't really display that in the SL. He's a good energy guy, decent roll man, but doesn't do much else. Maybe Auguste come into camp with a faceup game, but I need to see it first. In a vacuum, Tarik does pretty much everything better, as the hustle undersized big man. Our bigs are pretty much split into different categories: stretch bigs (Yi and Wear), energy bigs (Auguste, Black, Larry, Julius), bruisers (Zubac, Mozgov, Randle), and athletic bigs (Nance, Julius, Black)

Yeah. I see them along the lines of:

Stretch: Deng, Yi, Nance (improving)
Bruisers: Jules, Black, Moz, Zub
Switch-defenders: Nance, Jules, Black.

Zach would be at best, 4th/5th on the depth chart role-wise for bruisers/switch defenders. His outside game is not something that I see a potential 15th man doing. If he wants to stay on the team it would be in the roles above, not as a guy looking for shots.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Yeah. I see them along the lines of:

Stretch: Deng, Yi, Nance (improving)
Bruisers: Jules, Black, Moz, Zub
Switch-defenders: Nance, Jules, Black.

Zach would be at best, 4th/5th on the depth chart role-wise for bruisers/switch defenders. His outside game is not something that I see a potential 15th man doing. If he wants to stay on the team it would be in the roles above, not as a guy looking for shots.

The depth chart looks something like this now:
Russell/Calderon/Huertas
Clarkson/Lou/Brown
Deng/Ingram/Young
Randle/Larry/Yi
Mozgov/Black/Zubac

Assuming we stretch/waive Nick, we'll have room for one more spot, but considering our depth at the 4/5, I'd consider Auguste/Wear as long shots, with the exception being if Wear shows more at camp/preseason than Yi, but I doubt that'll happen. My bet is that we just keep the roster at 14, like we did last season and have Auguste/Wear play on the Defenders.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject:

Quote:
My bet is that we just keep the roster at 14, like we did last season and have Auguste/Wear play on the Defenders.

Exactly how I see it, though I think Auguste may get a deal overseas or something and try again for the Lakers when Black/Yi may be gone next year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Any chance he makes the team? Just a camp body?

I know some have been high on him since SL. I was lukewarm on his performance. JMO.

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out in camp. Unless someone is moved I can not see Yi, Auguste and Black all making the 15 man roster.

What am I missing?

It will be interesting. The details of his contract have yet to emerge. We know Travis Wear will be on a training camp contract, which is around 50-100k from my understanding. It is unknown at this point what contract Auguste has, though he and Larry are having a bromance on Twitter regarding the signing. The interesting thing is that the Lakers official site came out with a press release for his signing. I have a hunch that it is not a training camp contract but we'll have to wait and see.

I don't think the Lakers could technically offer him a deal as they are at 15 players on the roster. It likely is a camp invite.

That has yet to be revealed. If the reports of them waiving/stretching Young soon are accurate, that will make him the last man on the roster.

Position wise, we need Young more than Auguste.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

It is Upshaw all over again. Fans stressing about losing a D League player that no other team wants.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It is Upshaw all over again. Fans stressing about losing a D League player that no other team wants.

Yeah, though the difference is Auguste doesn't have the baggage my boy Upshaw did.

What's up with Upshaw these days? I'm very sad for him that it didn't work out.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah, though the difference is Auguste doesn't have the baggage my boy Upshaw did.

What's up with Upshaw these days? I'm very sad for him that it didn't work out.

It is sad, at least he is still young and can turn things around.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

No one is stressing over him. If he gets a spot on the roster it will be because he's earned it. It's the same thing with Yi, who is only guaranteed 250k right now. His contract is structured in such a way that they can waive him anytime without taking a significant cap hit. Just like with Auguste, he'll have to demonstrate his utility in training camp and preseason.

All that is known now is that Travis Wear is one of the five training camp invites. No one knows whether Auguste has the same contract. The official press release does not indicate that yet.

And Upshaw was projected to go in the lottery. His off-court issues and drug use derailed those chances. People were high on him (no pun intended) because he showed commitment to staying out of trouble. As a rim protector, he showed tremendous promise. He was on the upswing in the d-league until the termination happened.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject:

With Zach and Wear in the mix, it seems to me that the FO is about to restock the D-Fenders with a few up and coming younger players.

Pay them up-front for camp and then on to the D-Fenders.

I thinks that's a good deal for all parties involved.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
With Zach and Wear in the mix, it seems to me that the FO is about to restock the D-Fenders with a few up and coming younger players.

Pay them up-front for camp and then on to the D-Fenders.

I thinks that's a good deal for all parties involved.

What are the rules concerning the "rights" to players like Wear and Auguste if they go to the d-league and not on the 15man roster?

Still available to any team ready to sign them or do the Lakers have any first rights to keep them in any way?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject:

If assigned to the D-League they could possibly be picked up by any team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: