Rookie Survey picks Brandon Ingram to have Best Career out of 2016-2017 class
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Rookie Survey picks Brandon Ingram to have Best Career out of 2016-2017 class

Q: Who will win NBA Rookie of the Year

1) Kris Dunn (29%)
2) Brandon Ingram (26%)
3) Ben Simmons (19%)

Q: Who will have the Best overall Career in the NBA

1) Brandon Ingram (27%)
2) Kris Dunn (17%)
3) Buddy Hield (13%)

More questionnaire on the link - http://www.nba.com/news/features/john_schuhmann/2016-17-nba-rookie-survey/index.html
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject:

Damn, fellow rookies must not like Simmons.

But the respect Ingram is getting from his rookie class shows that it'll be worth the wait with him.
ainsley
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

Didn't Okafor dominate these polls last year? We all saw how that turned out
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

But the respect Ingram is getting from his rookie class shows that it'll be worth the wait with him.

ha, simmons gives off this im-better-than-you aura and ha can't blame the others for not liking him
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Won't be much of a wait. This guy is very good.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject:

ainsley wrote:

Yeah it's not like this means anything at all. It's mostly a popularity contest, and today I've learned Ben Simmons isn't very popular
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject:

Most players consider "peer respect" and the overall opinions of those they play with and against on the court far more relevant than the narrative espoused by fans and the media.

Good start by Ingram, and good news for us!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Most players consider "peer respect" and the overall opinions of those they play with and against on the court far more relevant than the narrative espoused by fans and the media.

Good start by Ingram, and good news for us!

Yeah. It's clear his rookie class don't seem to like Ben Simmons (as evidenced by Dunn as the #1 ROY candidate, LOL).

I can see his NBA peers coming to respect Ingram a lot, especially once they start trying to test him now when he's physically weaker and he fights back.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject:

ainsley wrote:

Yeah, he was 1st Team All Rookie. I am Russell over Okafor all day, every day...but Okafor had a really solid NBA rookie season on the court.

Most people consider KAT's year to be a historical type rookie year @ 18/11/2/2 on 54% FG. So Okafor @ 18/7/1/1 on 51% FG has to be considered much better than average.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ainsley wrote:

Yeah, he was 1st Team All Rookie. I am Russell over Okafor all day, every day...but Okafor had a really solid NBA rookie season on the court.

Most people consider KAT's year to be a historical type rookie year @ 18/11/2/2 on 54% FG. So Okafor @ 18/7/1/1 on 51% FG has to be considered much better than average.

But that's where traditional stats belie impact.

KAT was much more impactful both ways.

OAK was a guy who wanted the ball on iso post ups...and that's about all he contributed.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject:

Seems like Ben Simmons isn't a very likeable guy (From TMac to now this). I fully expect Simmons to win ROY. Dunn will be competing with Rubio for minutes and Buddy Hield might have a big adjustment period and also has competition at his position (Galloway, E'Twaun Moore). We know who will have the ball in Philly.

I expect a 15/7/4 year from Simmons.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Seems like Ben Simmons isn't a very likeable guy (From TMac to now this). I fully expect Simmons to win ROY. Dunn will be competing with Rubio for minutes and Buddy Hield might have a big adjustment period and also has competition at his position (Galloway, E'Twaun Moore). We know who will have the ball in Philly.

I see the likely ROY favorite to be Simmons too. Will have the ball in his hands, the media hype, etc. Plus, they have no expectations or criticisms against them as of now. This entire upcoming season is playing with house money for them.

Not sure who the 2nd will be, as Ingram/Dunn are likely to start as reserves. If Dunn gets PT closer to starter minutes, I can see him putting up some numbers.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ainsley wrote:

OAK was a guy who wanted the ball on iso post ups...and that's about all he contributed.

I know he is not as talented as Towns, and like I said, I don't think he is more talented than Russell either. I also know he is a flawed player, but he is still projected to have a "good" NBA career with a ceiling of becoming an All-Star.

The post I was responding to said "and we see how that turned out", and my point was it turned out pretty well.....I think he was 3rd or 4th in voting. It was not like they selected R.J. Hunter for ROY.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ainsley wrote:

I know he is not as talented as Towns, and like I said, I don't think he is more talented than Russell either. I also know he is a flawed player, but he is still projected to have a "good" NBA career with a ceiling of becoming an All-Star.

The post I was responding to said "and we see how that turned out", and my point was it turned out pretty well.....I think he was 3rd or 4th in voting. It was not like they selected R.J. Hunter for ROY.

Yeah, I think "ceiling" of All-Star is about right, as opposed to a superstar. I think he will end up in the Al Jefferson/Brook Lopez/Kanter archetype where they are good offensive post up scorers, but not 2 way players who may have more of a niche role.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject:

Also worth noting with Hield, outside of Davis/Holiday, NOP really don't have many scoring options. So if Hield can adjust, he will have a chance to put up big #'s also
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Also worth noting with Hield, outside of Davis/Holiday, NOP really don't have many scoring options. So if Hield can adjust, he will have a chance to put up big #'s also

Maybe. But some of the concerns raised about Hield being an overrated prospect surfaced in SPL (and yes, it's just SPL). Being an older rookie, he should have fared better.

If he can play the JJ Reddick/JR Smith hybrid role, should be a useful player, albeit not all-star potential player.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject:

Yeah him struggling in the SL caught my eye too for an older prospect. That's why I think he will have an adjustment period. But outside of Simmons, he might have the biggest opportunity to shine his rookie year
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Yeah him struggling in the SL caught my eye too for an older prospect. That's why I think he will have an adjustment period. But outside of Simmons, he might have the biggest opportunity to shine his rookie year

It's clear to me at the NBA level, he will be dependent on his teammates for good shots unlike in the NCAA (where he was often 2-3 years older than his competitors), he was a shot taker/creator.

If Holiday is hobbled again, their PG depth is less than flattering and he will find open looks a bit more difficult. Also he will be heavily reliant on ADavis getting him open looks.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject:

And Simmons was working out with Lebronze. More reason to not like him
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

15 points seems like a lot. He's also a really good rebounder. I would think something like 13/10/6 considering he's going to have the ball in his hands a lot to rack up dimes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject:

I can see Simmons at 12/9/7 this year.

Ingram, hoping for something like 12/5/2 this year.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ainsley wrote:

Not true! He contributed his fists into Boston Celtic fan faces.
As a Laker fan, I value that contribution.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject:

Seeing Oak up close in Philly really showed a lot. The TV cameras don't cover him when he slowly jogs up the court on transitions, takes his sweet time get set on transition when the 76ers are setting up the half court.

He has tremendous low post scoring skills, but absolutely no motor. I think it's hard, nearly impossible to teach "motor." It's an innate trait IMO.

He will always have a beautiful low post game, and will be a 20 ppg scorer. However, I can also see him becoming a niche role player ala Enes Kanter where he will be a guy off the bench to punish 2nd units.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject:

I think Buddy has a higher IQ Bball wise..... Im hoping not because I want Davis to leave the pelicans or demand a trade
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject:

Pretty sure this is a popularity contest. Can't imagine Kobe winning something like this. Rookie orientation measures fun, a little talent, and "win friends and influence people" stuff.

Talent + character is measured over 20 years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: