Laker Film Room: How Yi Jianlian Fits In w/the Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I have a hard time seeing Yi walk away from CBA MVP and CBA $ for a glorified training camp invite.

I do think he will see some playing time as none of our centers can play stretch positions (Moz, Zub, Black) and Nance/Randle are both 6'8/6'9 at best.

He can always go back. It's not like his team and the fans wouldn't happily welcome him back.

In the meantime, he gets another shot at the NBA and will actually make slightly more than he would have in the CBA even if he only plays 20 games.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
governator wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
It seems like he's going to have a very defined role if he does make the team. I don't expect he'll get a lot of playing time, IMO.

pick and pop but I'm not sure if he is fast enough to cover small ball big

He's very mobile, I'm not concerned about that. I'm concerned about his ability to rebound and protect the rim. He's an okay shooter and does well on both ends in the pick & roll, but I don't think he's good enough at any of them to offset that.

I can't think of much of a reason to play him at the 5 instead of Nance.

back up 4, Mozgov-Yi? Black-Yi? Randle at 5 with Yi? who would you pair him up with?

IMO his best pairing is with Randle. No rim protection, but you can be really aggressive w/screens, while Yi can space the floor a bit and Randle covers for Yi's lack of defensive rebounding.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
governator wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
governator wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
It seems like he's going to have a very defined role if he does make the team. I don't expect he'll get a lot of playing time, IMO.

He's very mobile, I'm not concerned about that. I'm concerned about his ability to rebound and protect the rim. He's an okay shooter and does well on both ends in the pick & roll, but I don't think he's good enough at any of them to offset that.

back up 4, Mozgov-Yi? Black-Yi? Randle at 5 with Yi? who would you pair him up with?

The pairing I think could be the most likely and productive is one you didn't list.

Yi with Nance.

you think that pairing can board enough?

No
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject:

The Yi/Randle combination does make sense. That rim- protection , though. .
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject:

Imo, he's a low (virtually no) risk, moderate reward proposition who could be anything between a total bust who virtually never plays and a useful situational player in certain lineups and defensive sets. Or he could end up being useful trade filler.

Because of how LA structured the timing and nature of his contract, not only do they control how much he gets paid, but the money isn't any more of a cap management issue than a minimum contract would be. They were going over the cap anyway. So if they want to eat a few extra million off their profits, makes no never-ending competitively.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject:

Yi - Randle - Ingram? Opens the middle for Randle. Still get boards, but no rim protection. Should do well when other team go small.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:

FWIW, I think rim protection is becoming less important. I think it's more important that you have a guy who can rotate over and get in front of someone at the rim, which quick guys can do, hence the ability for teams like Cleveland or Golden State to win titles with guys like Thompson or Draymond play a lot at the 5.

The problem is that neither Randle nor Yi are particularly good at rotation either, but they're at least capable of it.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

FWIW, I think rim protection is becoming less important. I think it's more important that you have a guy who can rotate over and get in front of someone at the rim, which quick guys can do, hence the ability for teams like Cleveland or Golden State to win titles with guys like Thompson or Draymond play a lot at the 5.

The problem is that neither Randle nor Yi are particularly good at rotation either, but they're at least capable of it.

That makes me feel better. Plus, I'd rather have guys are who capable of it than guys who aren't obviously. Then, IMO, I'd expect the coaching staff to teach and emphasize those rotation principles, and given Julius' mentality, I think he's willing to put in the effort and learn those things.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

here's a pretty good post about how even when GS goes small with draymond they still have "rim protection" - https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4zenaz/oc_how_67_draymond_green_manages_to_protect_the/?ref=search_posts

I think it's true of any team with Lebron as well - you can go small and still have a presence at the rim defensively.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject:

Great video GT as usual!

Didn't know he rolled hard to the basket while playing in China. Glad he has that in his arsenal. Gotta keep the defense honest.
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject:

I expect Yi to be heavily criticised throughout the season for the exact same reason why I wasn't on board with signing him in the first place; rim protection and rebounding. As a big, those two are essentials to surviving in the NBA.

Seeing as we don't have very good perimeter defenders, I expect to see a lot of "funnelling" to the bigs. This can work with Mozgov, Zubac or even Black but it won't work for Yi because he has poor shot blocking instincts, unremakable verticality, a weak base and is slow to help. Teams will exploit this when he's on the floor.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject:

paolomagma wrote:
I expect Yi to be heavily criticised throughout the season for the exact same reason why I wasn't on board with signing him in the first place; rim protection and rebounding. As a big, those two are essentials to surviving in the NBA.

Seeing as we don't have very good perimeter defenders, I expect to see a lot of "funnelling" to the bigs. This can work with Mozgov, Zubac or even Black but it won't work for Yi because he has poor shot blocking instincts, unremakable verticality, a weak base and is slow to help. Teams will exploit this when he's on the floor.

That's why he's the third string. Should be no reason against the signing, easy to cut, trade friendly, doesn't disrupt cap and it's a 1 yr contract
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Yi is a perfect 1 year cap holder. Keeps the Chinese fan base involved with the Lakers and he offers a stretch center role for the team. I don't see why he wouldn't stick on the team. It's a low risk, moderate reward move for the Lakers.

Reason he wouldn't stick is if he isn't doing anything for the team and the Lakers don't want to pay $8 million for a 15th man. He certainly is at risk for getting cut anytime he's due a bonus for games on roster if he isn't producing anything.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Yi is a perfect 1 year cap holder. Keeps the Chinese fan base involved with the Lakers and he offers a stretch center role for the team. I don't see why he wouldn't stick on the team. It's a low risk, moderate reward move for the Lakers.

Reason he wouldn't stick is if he isn't doing anything for the team and the Lakers don't want to pay $8 million for a 15th man. He certainly is at risk for getting cut anytime he's due a bonus for games on roster if he isn't producing anything.

Ergo, "low risk, moderate reward" move. If he plays well to stay, an 8m cap holder deal is not a problem.
najim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject:

Great video as always man... you got a future in this I'm sure. Will be shocked if you haven't been getting calls from Sportsnet, your videos blow away anything they do and they are desperate for good Lakers content (I know a guy who works at Sportsnet, if you want me to put in a word - PM me).

I would just throw in an annotation at 7:40 acknowledging that this dude you highlighted is not Yi... Yi is the guy in the middle with the bad closeout on Melo that gets blown by and fouls.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject:

Sooo yi sucks is what I gathered
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject:

najim wrote:
Great video as always man... you got a future in this I'm sure. Will be shocked if you haven't been getting calls from Sportsnet, your videos blow away anything they do and they are desperate for good Lakers content (I know a guy who works at Sportsnet, if you want me to put in a word - PM me).

I would just throw in an annotation at 7:40 acknowledging that this dude you highlighted is not Yi... Yi is the guy in the middle with the bad closeout on Melo that gets blown by and fouls.

I noticed that too. Was gonna say something. But the video as a whole was so great, I gave it a pass.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:

He's a 14th/15th man. Not sure why people are so worried about him.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
governator wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
governator wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

IMO his best pairing is with Randle. No rim protection, but you can be really aggressive w/screens, while Yi can space the floor a bit and Randle covers for Yi's lack of defensive rebounding.

Worry not, for Ingram will ascend to Kirilenko/ WCF Durant levels and turn into the fabled rim protector at the 3 spot.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject:

His ability to run the floor and his passing were the two breakdowns in the video I was most interested to see, and to no fault of GT I don't think were really answered due to the lack of footage and the competition. Yes, he beats Cousins down the floor but it's friggin' Cousins who's interest level in that regard is minimal at best. The Chinese players probably aren't a good indication either.

His lack of a post-up game is not bothersome since I think the main function of post-ups in GSW's offense (sans Livingston) is more for passing, which brings me to that. Wasn't this part of the reason why they passed on Biyombo? They wanted a big who could handle the offense? In the video, and other videos I've seen, it's very hard to tell what he can do as a passer. Who knows, maybe this offense brings the best out of him.

And his release on that shot... you could clock it with a calendar.

Last edited by greenfrog on Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:33 am; edited 2 times in total
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject:

On a serious note, great vid! Very informative. Seems like a very situational player, and was probably done to bring in Chinese fans. That jump shot is really slow. Also the form reminds vaguely of Ben Simmons' and that's never a good thing.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I doubt he'll get cut because his contract is really valuable for a cheap team to trade salary out and cut.

A (useless) expiring + incentive (2nd rounder for example) for Yi is good for both teams: LA gets a draft pick; the other team sheds salary.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject:

najim wrote:

Thanks, man. I just added the annotation. And sure, any word you want to put in is appreciated. I'll send you that PM. I'm talking to a couple of bigger platforms to carry my stuff, but I'm still in negotiations and nothing's finalized.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
His ability to run the floor and his passing were the two breakdowns in the video I was most interested to see, and to no fault of GT I don't think were really answered due to the lack of footage and the competition. Yes, he beats Cousins down the floor but it's friggin' Cousins who's interest level in that regard is minimal at best. The Chinese players probably aren't a good indication either.

His lack of a post-up game is not bothersome since I think the main function of post-ups in GSW's offense (sans Livingston) is more for passing, which brings me to that. Wasn't this part of the reason why they passed on Biyombo? They wanted a big who could handle the offense? In the video, and other videos I've seen, it's very hard to tell what he can do as a passer. Who knows, maybe this offense brings the best out of him.

And his release on that shot... you could clock it with a calendar.

This is right on the money and I lamented that as well. The available footage on him is pretty noisy on both ends of the spectrum. On one end, he's playing against inferior talent in the CBA and is able to do things that he won't be able to in the NBA, and on the other he's playing Team USA, trying to battle with guys like Cousins & Jordan.

I'm more confident in his ability to run the floor than his passing ability. The speed with which he runs the floor looks good to me, even if it's harder to contextualize because of those around him.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:

He's a 14th/15th man. Not sure why people are so worried about him.

I was hoping for a jeremy lin/ Yao ming hybrid
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: