Coach Luke Walton didn't expect Ingram and Zubac to be developing "this fast"!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject:

I'm anxious to see what that development looks like. I think Ingram showed inconsistency due to comfort level during the Vegas Pro League. Zubac, seemed to improve every game and continuously gain confidence.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Going back to look at Zubac from the Summer League, it actually wouldn't surprise me if Zubac makes a run at Mozgov for the starting spot after his rookie year with hard working and proper training/coaching. Especially when you realize they both have the same major weakness (can't contain PnR)

It is possible, although not entirely likely, but it would be a great problem to have.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Zubac showed to be a lottery talent in the SL and only 19 years old. Still a lot of improvement to come. Was hoping for the bigger name Deyonta Davis or Damian Jones at the time but great draft pick by the Lakers.

Will be interesting to see who turns out to be the better player, Zubac or Jakob Poeltl (drafted 9th overall)
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Mozgov was the 2nd best pick and roll efficient big in the game last year, how is he not an MDA center?

Anyone that watched Mozgov can see how he fits. I do wonder how many people that knock the Mozgov situation have ever really seen the guy play.

I can't wait till GT's how Mozgov fits into the Lakers offense video to silence all that in terms of his style.

When is that coming? People overrate Mozgov as a passer here IMO
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mozgov was the 2nd best pick and roll efficient big in the game last year, how is he not an MDA center?

Anyone that watched Mozgov can see how he fits. I do wonder how many people that knock the Mozgov situation have ever really seen the guy play.

I can't wait till GT's how Mozgov fits into the Lakers offense video to silence all that in terms of his style.

When is that coming? People overrate Mozgov as a passer here IMO

Since that comment wasn't even about his passing (hint: He can fit well into the offense without being a great passer), perhaps your comment is less about other people over rating this or that about Mozgov and more about your relentless pursuit of underrating him?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject:

No. I just have seen a lot about how Mozgov will be a good fit in Luke's offense in particular due to his ability to pass. Something I have never saw from watching him play or heard from other basketball people.

I honestly don't believe I underrate Mozgov. He is what he is. 9/7 in 24MPG and a good PnR target when healthy.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Zubac showed to be a lottery talent in the SL and only 19 years old. Still a lot of improvement to come. Was hoping for the bigger name Deyonta Davis or Damian Jones at the time but great draft pick by the Lakers.

Will be interesting to see who turns out to be the better player, Zubac or Jakob Poeltl (drafted 9th overall)

Well, he certainly played like a lottery talent. His PPP was second to only Jacob Potlab, who will be seeing decent minutes for the Raptors now that Bismuth Bolombo is gone. For any other team, I think Zubac would be a solid rotation player. The training camp and preseason will be pivotal for determining how he measures up to NBA caliber talent.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Poeltl might not see much time either behind Valanciunas and Sullinger. Will also have to keep in mind when comparing Poeltl and Zubac is Zubac is nearly a year and a half younger.

Speaking of Valanciunas, forget Marc Gasol, if Zubac can turn into a similar player as him, I would be more than happy.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Poeltl might not see much time either behind Valanciunas and Sullinger. Will also have to keep in mind when comparing Poeltl and Zubac is Zubac is nearly a year and a half younger.

Speaking of Valanciunas, forget Marc Gasol, if Zubac can turn into a similar player as him, I would be more than happy.

If Zubac can turn into a similar player as your favorite, Mozgov, I'd be happy
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

If Zubac can turn into a similar player as your favorite, Mozgov, I'd be happy

Believe it or not, but I have said the same before.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
No. I just have seen a lot about how Mozgov will be a good fit in Luke's offense in particular due to his ability to pass. Something I have never saw from watching him play or heard from other basketball people.

I honestly don't believe I underrate Mozgov. He is what he is. 9/7 in 24MPG and a good PnR target when healthy.

I must be missing that, because I haven't seen any real glowing praise about his passing. It's mostly about his elite pick setting and rolling and his iq about where to be.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject:

I found this commentary on a Lakers site and agree with it completely:

"Then there is Zubac. People thought it was a joke when he became a high second round draft pick. They chuckled at his broken English and were charmed by his child-like wonder and naivety when he was interviewed. But on the court, Zubac was no laughing matter. In modest minutes, he averaged 10.6 points, 7.2 rebounds, and 2.6 blocks during Summer League. He connected on 64 percent of his shots, and they were not all dunks; he displayed a variety of shots from different places on the floor. He also made 82 percent of his free throws, which is unusual for a big man.

People still discount Zubac, saying he will play in the D-League this year or will be buried on the bench behind the veterans at his position. He may be only 19, but he is a solid 7’1,” 265 pounds, and the more he showcases his ability this summer at the Lakers training facility the more whispers there are that this kid will be really good and perhaps sooner rather than later. He also brings a refreshing joy for the game and for the Lakers organization, which is contagious even among his teammates. Anyone who thinks Zubac will not contribute this next year may be proven very wrong."
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject:

If we can get 20/15/3+ from Mozgov/Zubac this coming season and those numbers should only get better... sounds pretty set at C for the next couple yrs
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

I must be missing that, because I haven't seen any real glowing praise about his passing. It's mostly about his elite pick setting and rolling and his iq about where to be.

Video on Twitter today of Moz draining 3 after 3 in practice.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

I have been told multiple times on here that Mozgov's superior passing ability is the reason why the Lakers had him over guys like Biyombo and Aldrich.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

I have been told multiple times on here that Mozgov's superior passing ability is the reason why the Lakers had him over guys like Biyombo and Aldrich.

Well, he is a better passer and floor reader than those two. But no, that's not what you were told. You seem like you want to embellish a minor point to make a major one, which you should be able to make directly, if it's any good.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject:

The only point was I'm ready for GT's video breakdown of how Mozgov will help the Lakers with a particular interest in his passing ability.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
The only point was I'm ready for GT's video breakdown of how Mozgov will help the Lakers with a particular interest in his passing ability.

That sounds a whole lot different than the original...
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject:

I stated how Mozgov was overrated as a passer on here with an emphasis on "IMO". Making the post, I was thinking maybe the breakdown video would show me something I haven't noticed from Moz as a passer.

Really beyond the point for this thread. Ready to follow Zubac's development as he is maybe the biggest wild cards among our young players.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
I stated how Mozgov was overrated as a passer on here with an emphasis on "IMO". Making the post, I was thinking maybe the breakdown video would show me something I haven't noticed from Moz as a passer.

Really beyond the point for this thread. Ready to follow Zubac's development as he is maybe the biggest wild cards among our young players.

Geezer. How many arguments are you going to walk back. A couple more back and forth posts and you'll be claiming you didn't even mention Mozgov. Here's where we are so far:

A guy talks about looking forward to GT's video showing how Mozgov fits and doesn't even mention his passing (hint, no one has in the recent convo). You respond with a non sequitur about people over rating his passing.

I call you on that, and you say that people are praising his passing. I dispute that, and you point to people saying he's a better passer than two pretty poor passers. You respond that your only point was interest in the video and gt's take, particularly on Mozgov's passing.

I point out that this is pretty different from your comment that precipitated our exchange, and now you're down to parsing the term imo.

Like I said, if you think you have a good argument, make it and defend it. Don't keep trying to change what you said each time the last thing you said is questioned or successfully rebutted. It may seem a small point, but the pattern of injecting a shot and then not standing by the fact that, a., it was a shot, and b., it was a silly argument (in this case both not about what was discussed nor factually defensible) is pretty disingenuous.

People get that you don't like the signing, and that's cool, that's your right. But if you can't engage in the analysis to back it up without weaseling and hitting and running, just stick to your basic "I don't like it, even though I can't mount an empirical argument on the why". I will leave you be on that, but if you try sloppy hit and run with me, prepare to get chased all the way into a corner you can't get out of. I do my homework and can mount a case for what I said, not to mention not needing to pretend I didn't say it.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject:

I'm not walking back on anything. I said exactly what I said. I'm looking forward to GT's video break down of Mozgov to maybe highlight any play making ability I maybe missed out on watching him play. I should of known not to bring up anything about Mozgov with how sensitive people react on here about him.

Seems like you're trying to pick an argument that's not really there but they that's cool too.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
I'm not walking back on anything. I said exactly what I said. I'm looking forward to GT's video break down of Mozgov to maybe highlight any play making ability I maybe missed out on watching him play. I should of known not to bring up anything about Mozgov with how sensitive people react on here about him.

Seems like you're trying to pick an argument that's not really there but they that's cool too.

here's something about Moz from an article discussing DLO.

Quote:
He scored only 0.71 points per possession (36th percentile) in the pick-and-roll, a surprisingly low number since he was at his best in the pick-and-roll in college. But that might’ve been because he lacked a rim runner like Timofey Mozgov, who scored an elite 1.22 PPP as a pick-and-roll screener, per Synergy. With Mozgov rumbling down the lane, Russell will be given a full array of options as he probes the defense.

dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject:

Yeah Mozgov will most definitely help Dlo and JC in the PnR game. Especially coming from Roy. Hopefully Randle can improve his PnR game also. Would be nice to see DLo/Randle develop a good chemistry in PnR
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Yeah Mozgov will most definitely help Dlo and JC in the PnR game. Especially coming from Roy. Hopefully Randle can improve his PnR game also. Would be nice to see DLo/Randle develop a good chemistry in PnR

I really do think they view Moz as a superior PnR partner for DLO/JC, and a massive wall inside since our perimeter defense from the guard positions may be a bit porous.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

should have
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: