Coach Luke Walton didn't expect Ingram and Zubac to be developing "this fast"!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
I'm not walking back on anything. I said exactly what I said. I'm looking forward to GT's video break down of Mozgov to maybe highlight any play making ability I maybe missed out on watching him play. I should of known not to bring up anything about Mozgov with how sensitive people react on here about him.

Seems like you're trying to pick an argument that's not really there but they that's cool too.

should have
Does that really bother you that much?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject:

The_Dynasty24 wrote:
tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
I'm not walking back on anything. I said exactly what I said. I'm looking forward to GT's video break down of Mozgov to maybe highlight any play making ability I maybe missed out on watching him play. I should of known not to bring up anything about Mozgov with how sensitive people react on here about him.

Seems like you're trying to pick an argument that's not really there but they that's cool too.

should have
Yeah it does, lol.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:
tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

should have
Yeah it does, lol.

It is almost always a mistake to correct someone else's grammar on LG. You should of let it pass. Invariably, someone soon points out a mistake in the post of the person correcting the grammar. For example, someone might forget to include a comma after using an interjection like "yeah." Hopefully, no one finds any errors in your post.

--Anonymous
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
tox wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:
tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

should have
Yeah it does, lol.

It is almost always a mistake to correct someone else's grammar on LG. You should of let it pass. Invariably, someone soon points out a mistake in the post of the person correcting the grammar. For example, someone might forget to include a comma after using an interjection like "yeah." Hopefully, no one finds any errors in your post.

Ouch. That's toasty
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
tox wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:
tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

should have
Yeah it does, lol.

There's a difference between pedantry and incorrect grammar usage.

I wouldn't be critiquing him if he wrote "shoudl have," nor would I be critiquing him if he wrote in a sentence fragment or used a comma splice. Typos and other informal grammar structures are the name of the game on online blogs. As a matter of fact, I intentionally left out the comma to make my sentence flow like it would in casual speech. Last I checked, "lol" isn't proper grammar either, yet there it is, sitting at the end of my post.

Put it this way: I wouldn't critique someone who wrote "deifnitely" but would critique someone who wrote "definately." It's not about a draconian adherence to the rules of grammar; it's about informing someone of their incorrect usage of a common construction.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
tox wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:
tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

should have
Yeah it does, lol.

There's a difference between pedantry and incorrect grammar usage.

I wouldn't be critiquing him if he wrote "shoudl have," nor would I be critiquing him if he wrote in a sentence fragment or used a comma splice. Typos and other informal grammar structures are the name of the game on online blogs. As a matter of fact, I intentionally left out the comma to make my sentence flow like it would in casual speech. Last I checked, "lol" isn't proper grammar either, yet there it is, sitting at the end of my post.

Put it this way: I wouldn't critique someone who wrote "deifnitely" but would critique someone who wrote "definately." It's not about a draconian adherence to the rules of grammar; it's about informing someone of their incorrect usage of a common construction.

Again, it is almost always a mistake to correct someone else's grammar and writing due to the fact that most of us make more mistakes than we realize. Since we are talking about grammar in the abstract, one of the things that really bugs me is when somebody confuses "singular" with "plural." For example, "someone" is singular and "their" is plural. It would be an incorrect usage of a common construction to have a "their" refer to a "someone" in a sentence. I, however, would never be so rude as to point that out. It is always nice to be polite.

--Anonymous
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Class is in session, ladies and gentlemen.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:

Again, it is almost always a mistake to correct someone else's grammar and writing due to the fact that most of us make more mistakes than we realize. Since we are talking about grammar in the abstract, one of the things that really bugs me is when somebody confuses "singular" with "plural." For example, "someone" is singular and "their" is plural. It would be an incorrect usage of a common construction to have a "their" refer to a "someone" in a sentence. I, however, would never be so rude as to point that out. It is always nice to be polite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/01/08/donald-trump-may-win-this-years-word-of-the-year/
http://www.npr.org/2016/01/13/462906419/everyone-uses-singular-they-whether-they-realize-it-or-not
http://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/singular-nonbinary-they

Quote:
The use of singular they builds on centuries of usage, appearing in the work of writers such as Chaucer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen.

But it doesn't matter. Even if the "singular they" construction were grammatically incorrect, the point is that it's still commonly used in conversation. This ties back to my point about "definately" versus "defintiely." There is a difference between casual, conversational errors on a message board and strict ignorance of the proper construction. You can understand there should be a comma somewhere and ignore it for the sake of conversational flow. However, using "should of" demonstrates ignorance of the actual construction. Do you see the difference? I only nitpick the latter.

Anyways, this is going nowhere, so I'll end the conversation at that.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

should have

tox wrote:
Even if the "singular they" construction were grammatically incorrect, the point is that it's still commonly used in conversation.

So, in the abstract--and not addressing any particular situation--since "should of," "shoulda," etc. are commonly used in conversation in place of "should have," we should not correct others when they make this mistake. I can agree with that. It was kind of my point all along.

--Anonymous
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject:

Coach Luke Walton also didn't expect dcarter4kobe's grammar to be developing this fast!
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:

'Their' can be used with an indefinite antecedent such as one, whoever, or anybody and can be used in place of his or her when a person of unknown gender or people of both genders are referred to.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject:

FAM IM IN CLASS BROWSING RIGHT NOW I DID NOT COME IN HERE FOR MORE LEARNIN
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
So, in the abstract--and not addressing any particular situation--since "should of," "shoulda," etc. are commonly used in conversation in place of "should have," we should not correct others when they make this mistake. I can agree with that. It was kind of my point all along.
I think the distinction in the mind of tox is that the speaker is saying 'should've' and writing 'should of' in error. It's not a matter of misuse but a matter of misunderstanding what is being said and writing something different.

I agree with you that policing grammar on the internet is a fool's errand, and I believe tox would admit that as well, despite good intentions.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:

<pulls fire alarm>

Class dismissed!!!!
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
anpherknee wrote:

<pulls fire alarm>

Class dismissed!!!!

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-57918-Denzel-Washington-my-man-gif-I-1KVs.gif
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:

JMK said it well. I wouldn't complain about "shoulda" (I've used it myself), but "should of" isn't actually ever used in speech. It's just an incorrect transcription of "should've," hence the correction.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
I think the distinction in the mind of tox is that the speaker is saying 'should've' and writing 'should of' in error. It's not a matter of misuse but a matter of misunderstanding what is being said and writing something different.

I agree with you that policing grammar on the internet is a fool's errand, and I believe tox would admit that as well, despite good intentions.

Totally. But usually a flippant post here or there takes but a few seconds of my time.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

JMK said it well. I wouldn't complain about "shoulda" (I've used it myself), but "should of" isn't actually ever used in speech. It's just an incorrect transcription of "should've," hence the correction.

You're just dealing with people whose primary linguistic input is aural, not written. So should've sounds like should of, you're sounds like your, their and they're sound like there, too sounds like to, and lose doesn't look like it sounds so they use loose. Dominant sounds close to dominate when spoken, so you see that a lot too, along with bias instead of biased. Millenials as a group aren't much for reading.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

You're just dealing with people whose primary linguistic input is aural, not written. So should've sounds like should of, you're sounds like your, their and they're sound like there, too sounds like to, and lose doesn't look like it sounds so they use loose. Dominant sounds close to dominate when spoken, so you see that a lot too, along with bias instead of biased. Millenials as a group aren't much for reading.

The last sentence was uncalled for.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject:

Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies.

We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject:

What's going on with this thread...

To be fair to the grammatically challanged, I was placed in ESL classes in college, all we did was watch fried green tomatoes and play clues all day for a semester... well, this is back in the 90s
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies.

We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

Lol
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

The last sentence was uncalled for.

It's a true statement IMO and I'm a millennial. Growing up in the age of technology we spend our time playing video games, watching movies and doing basic math on calculators instead of in our heads. You can take it as an insult but it seems like the next logical step in evolution IMO.

Why waste time learning how to add and subtract when we can be finding ways to build on the technology that we already have? What's the point in spending hours on end reading a book when we can wait for the 2 hour movie to hit the screens and learn a programming language while we wait?

It is what it is IMO you can take it as an insult but We're honestly just a product of our enviornment. when I'm 50 I'm sure the English language will be mostly short hand and look something like idgaf lmfao lol afk roflmao
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject:

Posters who want to improve their grammar should try to model their posts after the FAM anpherknee. He's obviously the best linguist on this site.

DEM DON'T EVEN RECOGNIZE IT DOE!
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject:

"would of" "should of" "could of"

I have to agree with tox. I'm able to read through most grammar mistakes without pause, but this is one that is like nails to chalkboard for me. It has spread like a virus over the last couple years and so I view this particular variety of error as a threat to my education . When I get to the word "of" I make a conscious decision to stop and say the word "have" in my head, because I don't want it to spread to me too.

This is a newer grammatical error that has spread like wildfire, so someone needs to teach the younger generation. Glad someone finally brought it up.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: