Riley: Getting Shaq was bigger deal than Lebron.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who was the bigger acquisition? Shaq or Lebron?
Shaq
58%
 58%  [ 14 ]
Lebron
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 24

ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Riley: Getting Shaq was bigger deal than Lebron.

Pat Riley says that getting Shaq was bigger than any other player in the history of Miami Heat and that is including Lebron and Bosh!

Shaq's first 2 season in Miami was a monster and while Lebron did win one more ring than Shaq, I still take the Diesel over Lebron!

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17453899/pat-riley-miami-heat-says-shaquille-oneal-was-bigger-get-lebron-james
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject:

do it mitch!!

of course, I am thrilled for this day.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject:

Well it did deliver them their first title.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject:

Petty, petty...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject:

Lebron by a mile.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Riley: Getting Shaq was bigger deal than Lebron.

ksmgf wrote:
Pat Riley says that getting Shaq was bigger than any other player in the history of Miami Heat and that is including Lebron and Bosh!

Shaq's first 2 season in Miami was a monster and while Lebron did win one more ring than Shaq, I still take the Diesel over Lebron!

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17453899/pat-riley-miami-heat-says-shaquille-oneal-was-bigger-get-lebron-james

Shaq really wasn't a monster in Miami. He was actually starting his decline, and in retrospect a lot of people said Wade, not Shaq, was the main guy on their ring team.

That said, Riley couches his opinion in reasonable terms -- Shaq was the bigger acquisition because he was part of their first ring team and put the franchise on the map.

Fair enough, though I'd go with the Big Three (better at that point than Shaq, and more success).

But really the statement itself is kind of a shrug because of the terms it's couched in, except to those who want to read extra stuff into it that Riley didn't say.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Petty, petty...

Right? Someone's sounding a lil salty there...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn't be surprised if he realized that Lebron held all the power in building that superteam. So while he was a great pitchman his role in dictating the success of that team was diminished.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Riley is probably right ...

Shaq was in decline by the time he arrived in Miami, of course, but trust and believe ... if Dwyane Wade had been healthy (i.e., no severe chest / rib injury) in the 2005 ECF vs. the defending champion Pistons, the Heat probably would have won back-to-back titles in Shaq's first two years in Miami. The Heat were up 3 - 2 on Detroit before Wade missed Game 6 with the injury, which greatly affected him in the close Game 7 loss (Detroit was trailing heading into the fourth quarter). And Detroit took the Spurs to seven games in the NBA Finals that year ... anyway, IMO, Miami would have beaten San Antonio in 2005. And we already know what they did in 2006.

If that had happened, the legacies of the Heat, Shaq, Wade, the Spurs and Duncan would be very different right now.

And this community would have self-immolated, too. Shaq going to Miami and immediately going back-to-back? Holy (bleep), the drama that would have ensued here ...
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:

Shaq was in decline by the time he arrived in Miami, of course, but trust and believe ... if Dwyane Wade had been healthy (i.e., no severe chest / rib injury) in the 2005 ECF vs. the defending champion Pistons, the Heat probably would have won back-to-back titles in Shaq's first two years in Miami. The Heat were up 3 - 2 on Detroit before Wade missed Game 6 with the injury, which greatly affected him in the close Game 7 loss (Detroit was trailing heading into the fourth quarter). And Detroit took the Spurs to seven games in the NBA Finals that year ... anyway, IMO, Miami would have beaten San Antonio in 2005. And we already know what they did in 2006.

If that had happened, the legacies of the Heat, Shaq, Wade, the Spurs and Duncan would be very different right now.

And this community would have self-immolated, too. Shaq going to Miami and immediately going back-to-back? Holy (bleep), the drama that would have ensued here ...

Wow you really think that? The Spurs would have been a clear favorite in that series right? And they would have had the hca which was always significant for them.

Quote:
if Dwyane Wade had been healthy (i.e., no severe chest / rib injury) in the 2005 ECF vs. the defending champion Pistons, the Heat probably would have won back-to-back titles in Shaq's first two years in Miami.

If the Heat won in 2005 then Shaq probably gets lazy and I seriously doubt they win in 2006. We saw what happened with Shaq and the Heat after they won in 06. Shaq lost motivation (in my opinion) and the team was swept in the first round of the playoffs.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject:

All those flavours and you chose to be salty, Riles
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject:

Miami sun is pretty hot, u need shade
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject:

Shaq was going there after 3 championships in 5 finals and painted as the good guy in the Shaq / Kobe feud. It was pretty gigantic.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:

Woulda-coulda-shoulda rings are easy to win -- every great player has a few of them.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Wouldn't be surprised if he realized that Lebron held all the power in building that superteam. So while he was a great pitchman his role in dictating the success of that team was diminished.

There might be some of that. Certainly superstars have held the cards in the NBA for a while. But Lebron was something of a sea change in demonstrating that he saw himself as a corporate entity with no particular allegiance to a team, owner, or GM beyond a business partnership that was beneficial to his corporate entity.

I'm sure Riley hated that.But then like most team owners/GMs he's a hypocrite who wants to act in his own self-interest while players sacrifice their self-interest.

Since Lebron, he's seen Wade leave and Whiteside reject his pleas to take less money for the good of the team, so I'm sure Riley pines for the good old days when he ran the show and the players snapped into line.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject:

Shaq being traded revitalized his career. If Shaq doesn't get traded I don't think he loses the weight he lost. I think he continues his trend of getting fatter. Getting traded hurt Shaq's ego and he wanted to show the world the Lakers were wrong to choose Kobe. Then he started to play well in the east, where the competition was weaker.

It was a good acquisition I think, for both sides, but signing Lebron is great. Who did they lose to get the undisputed best player in the game? No one.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
the association wrote:

Woulda-coulda-shoulda rings are easy to win -- every great player has a few of them.

That mantra of yours is probably better directed at those who think we were an achilles injury away from winning the championship in 2013. When a team (who when healthy, goes on to win the championship the following year) is in a conference finals series with a 3 - 2 lead and HCA in Game 7 looming, before a painful injury derails one of the most impactful postseason performers of the mid-2000s timeframe, I think it's completely defensible to wonder, "What if?" ...

As far as the NBA Finals, I think that Heat organization would have felt REALLY good about neutralizing Duncan with the combination of Shaq and Mourning. And I think they would likewise have felt REALLY good about Wade running roughshod on Bowen, Parker, Manu, Brent Barry and anyone else Popovich might have tried to put in front of him. So no, I think this particular example is a lot more than a woulda, coulda, shoulda pipe dream ...

But to each his/her own ...
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
activeverb wrote:
the association wrote:

That mantra of yours is probably better directed at those who think we were an achilles injury away from winning the championship in 2013. When a team (who when healthy, goes on to win the championship the following year) is in a conference finals series with a 3 - 2 lead and HCA in Game 7 looming, before a painful injury derails one of the most impactful postseason performers of the mid-2000s timeframe, I think it's completely defensible to wonder, "What if?" ...

As far as the NBA Finals, I think that Heat organization would have felt REALLY good about neutralizing Duncan with the combination of Shaq and Mourning. And I think they would likewise have felt REALLY good about Wade running roughshod on Bowen, Parker, Manu, Brent Barry and anyone else Popovich might have tried to put in front of him. So no, I think this particular example is a lot more than a woulda, coulda, shoulda pipe dream ...

that's her reaction for anything other than recorded historical fact. makes for good discussion, eh?
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
the association wrote:
So no, I think this particular example is a lot more than a woulda, coulda, shoulda pipe dream ...

Oh, pretty much everyone who makes woulda-coulda-shoulda statements is extremely confident than their guess of would have happened in some hypothetical would have come true.

And that type of thing is fine for a debate over a beer if you're in the mood for it and have some idle minutes to kill. Ultimately, all that matters is what actually happened. Everything else is a guess that you can never prove or disprove.

Like I said, every superstar has a bunch of woulda-coulda-should rings.

back to work everyone!
only discussions that will greatly benefit society!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
So no, I think this particular example is a lot more than a woulda, coulda, shoulda pipe dream ... ...

Of course you do -- everyone who makes the kind of woulda-coulda-shoulda guess that you made here is extremely confident their guess would have been right.

I tend to shrug at this type of thing because I've seen so many circumstances in real life where that seemed like a gimme on paper didn't actually happen on the court.

Woulda could shouldas are fun discussions if you're in the mood. I would never use them to evaluate a player in real life or evaluate the Shaq or Big Three question that Riley raised.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject:

woulda
lebron woulda been a bench player in the 80s.

coulda
kobe coulda had 20 rings if he was a minny laker.

shoulda
duncan shoulda gone to minny instead of kg so we coulda seen how much he woulda sucked.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject:

I can see where Riley is coming from. Shaq came in and changed the culture and helped the franchise win its first. That's a big step. LeBron came in and helped re-establish that culture. I can see how an old school competitor like Riley would value getting over that initial hump.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Pat Riley is talking out of his ass.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject:

If they never had Shaq and a ring, perhaps they never would have been able to get LeBron
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject:

I don't think it is salty. I think it is true. Shaq was still a monster at that time.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: