View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
OMG, that was sad....
Well that pretty much put a fork in UCLA's short lived comeback hopes.
37-10. UCLA fans might be making a break for the exits before halftime.

I left after using the Wifi for the LG fantasy football draft. I'm currently eating at the buffet at the Terry Donahue Pavilion. Will be leaving after they run out of food.

That's so cool.

DaMuleRules, 2 Sept 2017
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
UCLA really went downhill when they let Noel Mazzone go. At least they had an offense with him that would win them some games. Now the offense is so bad it will cost the team several games.

It wasn't so much Mazzone's offense as much as it was Hundley's mobility and the predictable screen passes/stretch runs that masked horrendous OL play.

Mazzone is with Texas A&M and that offense looks much better than anything I've seen from UCLA since the late 90's (not counting the years Mazzone was at UCLA). You're totally right about the OL but that's one reason I think Mazzone helped so much. They need a guy that will run an offense that will hide that weakess, not a guy that will run an offense which will make it easier for opposing defenses to expose that weakness.

I know he's with A&M. But honestly, a monkey pushing buttons on which call to play would've been able to call scoring plays against that DL and LB play in the first half. I actually joked with my friend that I can predict what Mazzone would call for the first 10 offensive plays. I got all but 1 right only because I said stretch run right instead of stretch run left. Mazzone has a decent system for a team that's rebuilding. It is incredibly simplistic and not something that can help you reach the next level.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
rwongega wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
OMG, that was sad....
Well that pretty much put a fork in UCLA's short lived comeback hopes.
37-10. UCLA fans might be making a break for the exits before halftime.

I left after using the Wifi for the LG fantasy football draft. I'm currently eating at the buffet at the Terry Donahue Pavilion. Will be leaving after they run out of food.

Wow hope you stayed for that...what a legendary performance.

Thank God there was a buffet keeping me around. Came back just in time because I saw the traffic jam in the lot. Rosen is for real and Mora better be thanking his lucky stars Rosen's family was rich enough to be neighbors in Manhattan Beach. This is a team that had no business even being Div 1. Rosen carried this team and that is not figurative.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Some of those throws man, just ridiculous. If those were intercepted you would call them careless.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Oh, this is great. The Aggies I know would have been insufferable if that score line had held. This is going to be a really fun week. Kevin Sumlin should go ahead and put his house on the market.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

From the Twitter feed of a TAMU booster group
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject:

My team (WVU) just lost a game we should have won...forgot how bad this hurts Had no idea what was going on with UCLA until after the game.....amazing comeback! Sumlin is one of my least favorite CFB coaches...so not upset at all it was against A&M.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Omg UCLA....
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Some of those throws man, just ridiculous. If those were intercepted you would call them careless.

I don't blame him for some of those. It was either that or eat turf. Even on those great throws, he was under extreme duress. Fraley's got some work ahead. And they should already can Sal "The Tripper" Alosi. The team does not look in shape at every position and that's on him.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

it is close, but since it was called a TD on the field, doubt they overturn it.

Was UCLA's game-winning TD pass vs. Texas A&M actually incomplete?

Quote:
Consider that while Rosen's pass to Jordan Lasley with 43 seconds remaining was right on the money, Lasley may not have gotten a foot down in the end zone with possession of the ball.

LINK
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Interesting. I would say incomplete, but it didn't matter much in my opinion. A&M blew its last real chance on the previous play, when they let UCLA convert a fourth down. Calling it a touchdown just gave A&M a few more seconds to accomplish nothing on offense.

I was struck by how many people in the media seem so impressed with the fake spike on that play. Frankly, it didn't seem to fool A&M. Rosen just put the ball on the money. A&M (players and coaches alike) had already checked out mentally.

I was less surprised with how much hype Rosen is getting after the game. Hey, UCLA won, he's the QB, and he did throw some TD passes. Fair enough. While he did make some good passes, including the last TD pass, he also made several passes that should have won the game for A&M. For that matter, he didn't accomplish much of anything until A&M switched off the intensity and seemed to go into pass prevent mode. He reminds me more of Testaverde than Elway or Brady.

I don't hate A&M, but if you live in Houston, you get awfully sick of hearing the Aggies run their mouths. This is a program that about average in the Big 12, that moved to the SEC, and that got intoxicated by the unexpected success of the Manziel era. It was damned annoying. It has been gratifying to see them get served some humble pie. This was another big slice.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

I never cared for Texas A&M but I do like Kevin Sumlin(fellow Boilermaker) and he is so going to lose his job at the end of the season because of last night.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I never cared for Texas A&M but I do like Kevin Sumlin(fellow Boilermaker) and he is so going to lose his job at the end of the season because of last night.

Forget that, I'm wondering if he'll even last the week.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
This is a program that about average in the Big 12, that moved to the SEC, and that got intoxicated by the unexpected success of the Manziel era.

very true...they have been 8-5 the last 3 years, and only have had 1 winning record in conference since joining the SEC (Manziels Heisman season)....finished in Top 25 only 3 times since 2000.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject:

how does Georgia Tech keep beating teams with that Flexbone Triple Option offense? It is basically veer option left and veer option right....
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
how does Georgia Tech keep beating teams with that Flexbone Triple Option offense? It is basically veer option left and veer option right....

The better question is why more teams don't run it, given that it obviously works. The answer involves recruiting, boosters, and the lack of coaches who know how to run that kind of offense.

About ten years or so ago, my alma mater (Rice) ran that sort of offense under Ken Hatfield. We are a little school in Conference USA, not any kind of football factory. We didn't win anything of note, but we did have a number of good seasons by our standards. We could recruit talented option QBs out of high schools, because the big schools all wanted to turn them into RBs or DBs. The option offense drove other teams nuts, because they never saw it from anyone else. The real football schools like Texas would still beat us, of course.

Georgia Tech is a real football school with real athletes. That's how they do it. They almost got it done again tonight.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

The better question is why more teams don't run it, given that it obviously works. The answer involves recruiting, boosters, and the lack of coaches who know how to run that kind of offense.

About ten years or so ago, my alma mater (Rice) ran that sort of offense under Ken Hatfield. We are a little school in Conference USA, not any kind of football factory. We didn't win anything of note, but we did have a number of good seasons by our standards. We could recruit talented option QBs out of high schools, because the big schools all wanted to turn them into RBs or DBs. The option offense drove other teams nuts, because they never saw it from anyone else. The real football schools like Texas would still beat us, of course.

Georgia Tech is a real football school with real athletes. That's how they do it. They almost got it done again tonight.

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. It's just something that most teams don't do anymore, so it's really difficult to prepare for. Paul Johnson did a great job with it at Navy, and now he's doing a good job with it (with better athletes) at GT.

That was a heck of a play to end the game by the Tennessee defense. I give the QB credit for at least realizing that he might as well try to throw it. He almost made a miraculous play. I know the guy that almost caught it would've been just short of the goal line anyway, but at least the QB had the presence to not just have the game end on a tackle.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

My bye week Saturday so it was my one day to watch college fb. That Texas-Maryland game was fun to watch.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. It's just something that most teams don't do anymore, so it's really difficult to prepare for. Paul Johnson did a great job with it at Navy, and now he's doing a good job with it (with better athletes) at GT.

That was a heck of a play to end the game by the Tennessee defense. I give the QB credit for at least realizing that he might as well try to throw it. He almost made a miraculous play. I know the guy that almost caught it would've been just short of the goal line anyway, but at least the QB had the presence to not just have the game end on a tackle.

and Johnson usually has a QB that at least presents the threat of the pass....so once teams try to cheat up and put 8 in the box, boom!....a big pass play. There are a lot of reads for the defense that are actually counter to the traditional 2 Wide with a slot style offenses....so I am sure that helps with teams not comfortable defending it. Honestly, that is why I really was not for the 2 pnt conversion attempt....I mean it is almost impossible to stop that team from gaining 10 yards on 4 downs. My hindsight is always pretty good.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
My bye week Saturday so it was my one day to watch college fb. That Texas-Maryland game was fun to watch.

guessing Longhorn fans disagree
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

That game, plus UCLA-Texas A&M, overshadowed some of the other stunners, like Liberty beating Baylor. I'm having fun this week.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

That game, plus UCLA-Texas A&M, overshadowed some of the other stunners, like Liberty beating Baylor. I'm having fun this week.

just curious, are you a Rice only fan, or do you have a Power 5 team you also support? I have a lot of friends and family that are Marshall alumni, and some of them are Marshall fans and only Marshall fans, while others may be Marshall fans but also support a team like Ohio State since they accept that it is not likely Marshall will be competing for a playoff spot.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

looking for Oklahoma to upset Ohio State tonight...
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Anyone watch UNC-Louisville this AM? Lamar Jackson looked incredible, definitely improved as a passer.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Pac-12 officiating is a complete disgrace. They hired this Coleman guy to clean it up but he's a joke. He defends a non-call that's a clear targeting, but calls a questionable one targeting. Expect some controversial games in the conference this season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 14 of 77
Jump to: