View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The Pac 12 has been a junk conference for a long time (sorry, but it’s true).

I gotta disagree with you on this one AH.

I think the Pac 12 overall is way deeper than a lot of the other conferences year in and year out. There are some bad programs at times, but teams like Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee are down for years at a time.

It is almost impossible to run the Table in the Pac 12, the conference is too deep and you are bound to have a bad week.

It's not deeper than the SEC, ACC, Big12, or Big10....but yeah, besides those conferences, it is one of the deeper conferences.

The PAC12 is mediocre at the top, soft in the middle, and terrible at the bottom in recent years.

Pretty much. There were a couple Oregon teams that were legitimately good. There was one Stanford team that looked good, but fell apart for some reason. Otherwise, I just see a lot of hype and self-delusion in the Pac 12.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Damn, this really is an interesting scenario, if it basically came down to an undefeated Big 10 champ Wisconsin vs. a 1-loss Big 12 champ Oklahoma, because, despite what you say, I think OU would be #4 at best in your scenario. Even though Alabama would be a non-conference champ, I simply don't think the committee would think for a second that they shouldn't be included, unless their team lost so badly to Georgia that it was embarrassing, or unless they suffered a truly damaging injury during that loss, say to Jalen Hurts. So for me, it really would come down to Wisconsin vs. OU.

While I think you can make the argument that Wisconsin wouldn't be one of the 4 best teams, it might be tough for the committee to leave out an undefeated major conference champion. Not when, in this scenario, 3 teams would have 1-loss. And I know, I know: they say the only objective is to take the 4 best teams. But I just have a hard time believing it, and Washington got in last season under what I would call similar circumstances. (Last year, there were probably better 2-loss teams out there, and UW, like Wisconsin, had played a creampuff non-conference slate, but they took them anyway. Hell, USC had 3 losses, and does anyone really think UW was a better football team than USC at the end of the year, especially since USC only lost once with Darnold?) Anyway, back to this year: I just think that having 1 fewer loss ends up being monumentally important, particularly when, in the Badgers' case, it would constitute not having lost any games. I think not losing a game would be seen as a big-time accomplishment, even if they wouldn't have as many impressive wins as the other contenders.

Look at it like this: Wisconsin is only 1 spot below OU in the current rankings. If Wisconsin ends up beating a couple of ranked teams from here and wins the Big 10, including beating Ohio State, I think that could be enough for them to jump OU, and it would match OU's biggest win of the year (though I recognize that OU won on their field rather impressively). Then again, OU has at least one more opportunity to beat a ranked team, too.

I also wonder if OU's poor defensive metrics could be held against them in this theoretical debate. I think it would be a fascinating debate, because I do think it would come down to these two teams. The SEC is held in such high regard that I just can't see them not taking a 1-loss Alabama in this scenario, and their defense is light years better than OU's.

another positive for Oklahoma...they will likely have the Heisman Trophy winner as their starting QB...
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject:

^
I agree that Mayfield is going to win the Heisman, barring a faceplant here very late.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Call me crazy but I would take Rosen over Darnold.
UCLA somehow still in it with all the turnovers USC is making. And that crazy deflection that somehow the UCLA receiver got.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
UCLA somehow still in it with all the turnovers USC is making. And that crazy deflection that somehow the UCLA receiver got.

You're not crazy. In spite of the D giving up some big plays and couldn't hold the run at the end, they came within one more possession of winning it all. Both Darnold and Rosen made a pick but at least Rosen more than made up for it with much more pinpoint throws. Darnold looked awful today against a swiss cheese D (case in point, he managed to overpower 4 defenders). This is with a clearly superior OL, RB, and coach. He won't be able to get away so easily in the pros.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

You're not crazy. In spite of the D giving up some big plays and couldn't hold the run at the end, they came within one more possession of winning it all. Both Darnold and Rosen made a pick but at least Rosen more than made up for it with much more pinpoint throws. Darnold looked awful today against a swiss cheese D (case in point, he managed to overpower 4 defenders). This is with a clearly superior OL, RB, and coach. He won't be able to get away so easily in the pros.

Darnold's style reminds me a lot of Jameis Winston, but without Winston's plus arm strength. And Darnold fumbles the ball too often, in addition to his penchant for throwing interceptions. I still don't know how Rosen will handle the pass rush in the pros, but he can make all the throws, has a plus arm like Carson Wentz (though he's not quite as big), and he isn't just a statue back there.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Darnold's style reminds me a lot of Jameis Winston, but without Winston's plus arm strength. And Darnold fumbles the ball too often, in addition to his penchant for throwing interceptions. I still don't know how Rosen will handle the pass rush in the pros, but he can make all the throws, has a plus arm like Carson Wentz (though he's not quite as big), and he isn't just a statue back there.

If his OL can keep them past 1-Mississippi, they'll be better than what Rosen's been given. That fumble of his was a direct cause of his own lineman getting bull-rushed into him while he was throwing. That's how weak Sal Alosi has made this team. We have QB's pancaking D-Linemen on blocks and runs and Offensive Lineman who couldn't push a pile despite a 5 on 3 advantage.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

Jim Mora fired.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Jim Mora fired.

Needed to be done. Team is inexcusably unprepared and undisciplined on both sides of the ball. Sal Alosi should be fired too seeing as both sides of the ball are constantly overpowered, outrun, and oft-injured. I'm thankful for Mora for doing ok with Neuheisel recruits and using his residence to bring in Josh Rosen. But unfortunately, time and time again, too many penalties, too many questionable game calls, too much lack of change where it's needed. Unfortunately, Dan Guerrero is still the AD.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject:

So the rumor mill is Chip Kelly. His agent has flown to LA, is a UCLA alum, and supposedly Kelly is flying to LA as well. I'm eh. He did well in Oregon and Philly, until he started playing GM. But I don't know how well he'd do without the financial support of Nike and I rather liked Jedd Fisch at OC.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Call me crazy but I would take Rosen over Darnold

definitely agree that Rosen looks like a better pro prospect right now.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
So the rumor mill is Chip Kelly. His agent has flown to LA, is a UCLA alum, and supposedly Kelly is flying to LA as well. I'm eh. He did well in Oregon and Philly, until he started playing GM. But I don't know how well he'd do without the financial support of Nike and I rather liked Jedd Fisch at OC.

This would be about as good of a hire as UCLA can make. Chip has had massive success in college and I think that his system is tailor-made for the college game. It would be the most exciting football hire UCLA has made, well, ever. Maybe he'll fail, but his past success is something that a school like UCLA should take a chance on.

Mora got UCLA two straight good college QB's, so I will give him that, and he did end up recruiting a lot of guys that ended up as pros. He did well there. But I agree with the fact that his teams tended to be far too undisciplined. I think the firing was justified.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

This would be about as good of a hire as UCLA can make. Chip has had massive success in college and I think that his system is tailor-made for the college game. It would be the most exciting football hire UCLA has made, well, ever. Maybe he'll fail, but his past success is something that a school like UCLA should take a chance on.

Mora got UCLA two straight good college QB's, so I will give him that, and he did end up recruiting a lot of guys that ended up as pros. He did well there. But I agree with the fact that his teams tended to be far too undisciplined. I think the firing was justified.

I can see the appeal for Chip Kelly though I consider Scott Frost an up-and-coming coach (plus, hiring him away (bleep) over U Can't Fail). Kelly would do best to retain Fisch though seeing as Fisch is kind of a more rational Kelly.

Technically, Hundley was Neuheisel's recruit. All Mora did was reap the benefits past the redshirt year. I give him credit for Rosen but that was more out of pure luck that Rosen was a neighbor. As for the rest, a big chuck were Neuheisel guys and a lot of Mora's more recent recruits have fizzled (Chris Clark, Mique Juarez, Priest Willis, etc). Regardless, it's simply not a good sign when so many 4-5 star prospects underwhelm and somehow the team gets outplayed by 2-3 star teams. Mora also made some poor judgment in selecting assistants (promoting a stud RB coach into OC, revolving door of DC's, Sal Alosi, Adrian Klemm).

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

I can see the appeal for Chip Kelly though I consider Scott Frost an up-and-coming coach (plus, hiring him away (bleep) over U Can't Fail). Kelly would do best to retain Fisch though seeing as Fisch is kind of a more rational Kelly.

Technically, Hundley was Neuheisel's recruit. All Mora did was reap the benefits past the redshirt year. I give him credit for Rosen but that was more out of pure luck that Rosen was a neighbor. As for the rest, a big chuck were Neuheisel guys and a lot of Mora's more recent recruits have fizzled (Chris Clark, Mique Juarez, Priest Willis, etc). Regardless, it's simply not a good sign when so many 4-5 star prospects underwhelm and somehow the team gets outplayed by 2-3 star teams. Mora also made some poor judgment in selecting assistants (promoting a stud RB coach into OC, revolving door of DC's, Sal Alosi, Adrian Klemm).

This is about as close as you can get to having a reportable post. No, just no to Scott Frost to UCLA. We already lost him once when we really wanted him to a Cali school. If he goes it again, Husker fans will go nuclear. Will be VERY UGLY.

I'd much rather UCLA get Chip the day after we announce Frost and leave Florida in the dust.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

Baker Mayfield won't start vs. Mountaineers as disciplinary action

Quote:
Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield will not start Saturday's game against West Virginia as disciplinary action for his antics at Kansas, coach Lincoln Riley said Monday.

LINK

this is ridiculous....the only reason they are doing this is because Will Grier broke his hand last week, and they know WVU has no chance without Grier.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

This is about as close as you can get to having a reportable post. No, just no to Scott Frost to UCLA. We already lost him once when we really wanted him to a Cali school. If he goes it again, Husker fans will go nuclear. Will be VERY UGLY.

I'd much rather UCLA get Chip the day after we announce Frost and leave Florida in the dust.

lol, but it's true. I do like what Frost can bring. Well, he didn't go to a Cali School though. University of Central Florida, UCF or U Can't Fail, is probably the farthest from a California school as possible (believe me, I had the unfortunate experience there). Hadn't considered what it would do to Nebraska but now that I have, I'll have the popcorn ready.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

How does one choose a proper head football coach? Look at Dan Guerrero's list
and make sure not to hire anyone on it.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Chip Kelly to UCLA would finally be the coup hiring the awful administration has been missing on forever. I'll believe it when I see an official announcement. They've crapped the bed forever on these hires and then it's immediately followed by idiot hypocritical media takes blaming the alumni and fans for their "irrational" expectations yet have a completely different tone for other programs.

I can't place a finger on Scott Frost's destination. He's already in Florida, but obviously is an icon in Nebraska. I guess the question is whether he can get the recruits that he wants for his system in Nebraska. The advantage is he'll have the pick of the litter in Nebraska compared to SEC country. And speaking of Nebraska, whatever happened to Tommie Frazier?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
How does one choose a proper head football coach? Look at Dan Guerrero's list
and make sure not to hire anyone on it.

I agree. That impotent stooge needs to be dumped ASAP. He even looks the part of an incompetent bureaucrat with his balding head and widening gut with chubby cheeks.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Chip Kelly to UCLA would finally be the coup hiring the awful administration has been missing on forever. I'll believe it when I see an official announcement. They've crapped the bed forever on these hires and then it's immediately followed by idiot hypocritical media takes blaming the alumni and fans for their "irrational" expectations yet have a completely different tone for other programs.

I can't place a finger on Scott Frost's destination. He's already in Florida, but obviously is an icon in Nebraska. I guess the question is whether he can get the recruits that he wants for his system in Nebraska. The advantage is he'll have the pick of the litter in Nebraska compared to SEC country. And speaking of Nebraska, whatever happened to Tommie Frazier?

If anyone convinces Kelly to sign with UCLA, it'll be his Bruin alum agent and not this limp dick AD. He does well in finding people like him, aka people who do their jobs just mediocre enough to keep it for a while without actually contending for anything.

I wonder if Frost would be willing to deal with the pressures of returning to Nebraska. It would be near Atlas level amounts on his shoulders.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
If anyone convinces Kelly to sign with UCLA, it'll be his Bruin alum agent and not this limp dick AD. He does well in finding people like him, aka people who do their jobs just mediocre enough to keep it for a while without actually contending for anything.

It helps that the real search committee will be Troy Aikman and Casey Wasserman doing all the talking while Dan just sits there like Homer Simpson daydreaming about donuts.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
rwongega wrote:

It helps that the real search committee will be Troy Aikman and Casey Wasserman doing all the talking while Dan just sits there like Homer Simpson daydreaming about donuts.

I'm hoping so and not acting like Magic Johnson figureheads. I don't trust Dan to do anything more than hosting wine tastings.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
rwongega wrote:

I'm hoping so and not acting like Magic Johnson figureheads. I don't trust Dan to do anything more than hosting wine tastings.
Why hasn't he been under the hot seat? Is he friends with the regents? Do their children go to the same school or some (bleep)? Does he have photos of the regents engaging in extreme fetish acts. Is he giving them kickbacks?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
rwongega wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Why hasn't he been under the hot seat? Is he friends with the regents? Do their children go to the same school or some (bleep)? Does he have photos of the regents engaging in extreme fetish acts. Is he giving them kickbacks?

Possibly all of the above. But the things he has mastered are the ability to look accomplished without actually accomplishing much, the ability to look esteemed amongst peers despite gross incompetence, and the ability to shift blame on others while hiding from the spotlight. And there's no one on this earth more corrupt than the UC Regents and its Presdient.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
And speaking of Nebraska, whatever happened to Tommie Frazier?

not sure, if you recall he was not drafted (due to blood clots related to Crohn's) and had a short career in the CFL (ended due to the clots). He then went on to coach as an assistant for some Big 12 teams....Baylor, Nebraska....then he was head coach at some small school in the midwest...but that has been a while ago.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 27 of 77
Jump to: