venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
C-BUS LAKERFAN wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
Michigan State entered Saturday’s game against Ohio State as a major underdog.

The Spartans entered the final 5 minutes in position to pull off a major upset of the second-ranked Buckeyes.

LJ Scott scored a 1-yard touchdown to cap his own eight-play, 56-yard drive. MSU opted to go for the 2-point conversion, and Tyler O’Connor’s pass was picked off by the Buckeyes’ Malik Hooker.

O’Connor then fumbled and threw another interception in the final 2 minutes as the Buckeyes held on for a 17-16 victory.

The 'Mighty' Ohio State almost lost to a crappy Michigan State team. So that's what a Top 3 team looks like huh?

OSU plays like garbage in bad weather. JT can't throw with high winds, and the rain/snow negates their speed advantage they have over every team in the nation not named Alabama. Their bad games this year have all been in high winds or rain/snow.

They play in Columbus, OH....and this game was in Michigan? I mean I would get if they were a Miami or San Diego based team, then winter Michigan should be a problem....but its always cold and nasty in Columbus in November & December.

It doesn't matter if you are from Anchorage, it is difficult throwing the ball in high winds.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
C-BUS LAKERFAN wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
Michigan State entered Saturday’s game against Ohio State as a major underdog.

The Spartans entered the final 5 minutes in position to pull off a major upset of the second-ranked Buckeyes.

LJ Scott scored a 1-yard touchdown to cap his own eight-play, 56-yard drive. MSU opted to go for the 2-point conversion, and Tyler O’Connor’s pass was picked off by the Buckeyes’ Malik Hooker.

O’Connor then fumbled and threw another interception in the final 2 minutes as the Buckeyes held on for a 17-16 victory.

The 'Mighty' Ohio State almost lost to a crappy Michigan State team. So that's what a Top 3 team looks like huh?

OSU plays like garbage in bad weather. JT can't throw with high winds, and the rain/snow negates their speed advantage they have over every team in the nation not named Alabama. Their bad games this year have all been in high winds or rain/snow.

They play in Columbus, OH....and this game was in Michigan? I mean I would get if they were a Miami or San Diego based team, then winter Michigan should be a problem....but its always cold and nasty in Columbus in November & December.

It doesn't matter if you are from Anchorage, it is difficult throwing the ball in high winds.

is it windy in Anchorage? What about Siberia...is it difficult there?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject:

If I had to select 4 teams today that I feel "could" win against any other team if they are playing at their best, they would be (not in any order):

Alabama
Ohio State
Oklahoma
USC

I am not saying these are the 4 most deserving teams, etc....just the 4 best, when they are at their best.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject:

Getting into the two best seasons of college football, the bowl games and coaching firings. Charlie Strong out in Texas, Tom Herman in. Ed Orgeron hired at LSU. As for Strong, giving a head coach less than 4 years makes little sense. He didn't even have the chance for his first recruiting class to become seniors.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject:

I was pulling for Herman to go to LSU and for Texas to hire Les Miles. That would have been priceless.

As for Charlie Strong, he did a lot to turn the program around, but you just can't lose to Kansas when you're already under fire. The mob psychology of the Texas boosters kicked in.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject:

So do the pollsters drop a 2 loss Michigan team above or below a 1 loss Washington team? Knowing that everyone was watching, Michigan gave away a lead and lost, whereas Washington curb stomped it's ranked arch rival with an NFL bound QB, in a series where historically ranking mattered little at all.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Who cares about the pollsters? Michigan is out of the playoff, barring some remarkable string of upsets. It gets tricky if PSU beats MSU, so that OSU is not in the Big 10 title game. In that scenario, either PSU or Wisconsin would have a claim to a playoff spot as Big 10 champion. If MSU beats PSU, UW has a clear path. I think UW would make it over the PSU-Wisconsin winner, but it isn't a sure thing.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Hard to believe that USC could end up going to the Rose Bowl with the start of the season they had. Now they just need a favorable outcome in the Utah vs Colorado game and they could end up playing Washington in the Pac-12 title game with a trip to the Rose Bowl on the line.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Colorado wins, will meet Washington in the Pac-12 championship game.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Getting into the two best seasons of college football, the bowl games and coaching firings. Charlie Strong out in Texas, Tom Herman in. Ed Orgeron hired at LSU. As for Strong, giving a head coach less than 4 years makes little sense. He didn't even have the chance for his first recruiting class to become seniors.

I'm glad Ed O is getting a shot. Not the best gameday coach but he can recruit.

There are also rumblings that Kelly might be out at ND.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:

Yep, he may want out. That's an interesting twist. If it's true, he timed it poorly. He could have gotten into the mix for LSU and Texas. Other than maybe Oregon, I don't know of any other big time programs that are likely to make a switch.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

UW caught a break. I wouldn't want to play USC right now.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Phil Knight will also pay top dollar for a new head coach at Oregon since he wants to see them win a championship in his lifetime. After the disaster that was this season, I'm sure he has offers on the table.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

USC fell 1 game short of making it to the Pac-12 championship game...guess its off to the Holiday Bowl once again.
lakergal16
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

USC fell 1 game short of making it to the Pac-12 championship game...guess its off to the Holiday Bowl once again.

USC probably looking at the Rose Bowl or a NY 6 bowl (Cotton or Sugar maybe).

Dubs beats Buffs and they end up in final four against Bama. With the Pac-12 champ out of the running for the Granddaddy of Them All, they look at the next highest ranked Pac-12 team, which is likely going to be USC since Colorado should drop below them after losing to UW.

Rose Bowl committee would love to see a traditional Pac-Big Ten match-up. USC vs Wisconsin/Michigan/Penn State.

Interesting factoid- Trojans have played in the Rose Bowl during the term of every U.S. president since 1929 with the exception of one- Barack Obama.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject:

I am not a fan of Jim Harbaugh, and actually preferred Ohio State to win....but Harbaugh is right that they were on the receiving end of several bad calls. Miami Hurricane fans know the pain Michigan fans feel tonight.

I know this is not the system we are currently in, but I truly believe that if you are unable to win your conference championship, you should not be in the playoff. Disband the committee, go to 6 team playoff, (Power 5 Champs and highest ranked Group of 6), 2 highest ranked teams get a bye....and then each team will have true control of their own destiny.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
As for Strong, giving a head coach less than 4 years makes little sense. He didn't even have the chance for his first recruiting class to become seniors.

I would usually agree with the thought....but you just cant lose to Kansas (when Kansas is as bad as they have been recently) when you are basically the biggest program in the country. I think Texas still has claim to the largest athletic and football program budget in the nation, right?

Coaches that are very successful at good programs should at least consider stories like Charlie Strong's before always jumping ship to the bigger program. Strong left U of Louisville right before they entered a Power 5 conference and had that program rolling. He could have become a great coach @ Louisville, and now he probably ends up at a non-Power 5 school. Reminds me of Rich Rodriguez @ WVU.....was one game away from BCS National Championship game....fans in WV were ready to build statues of the man...could have coached there for 30 years and already had the program in the Top 10 multiple years.....after he lost that game, left for Michigan....never had success there, and now is the coach of a mediocre team in Arizona that is nowhere near the top of the PAC12. Since he left, WVU went on to win BCS Bowls, move to the Big12, and is still mostly a top 25 program. The grass is not always greener.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject:

Michigan got absolutely jobbed today, there is no way around that. And I despise Jim Harbaugh. But that was straight-up larcenous what happened out there today in that game.

I am not sure that Washington was helped with Colorado's win. My logic here is that a win over a surging USC would've looked better to the committee. Granted, perhaps they would have lost again. But I just don't think a win over Colorado holds as much weight. Speaking of that...

I think that it's really unfair if Washington loses out on a spot, if they win the Pac 12, to a 2-loss Penn State team. I know that Penn St. beat Ohio State and that a win over the current #2 ranked team is more impressive than any win Washington has (right now their biggest win is against Utah, and if they beat Colorado, that would replace it), but it's 1 loss vs. 2 losses. That just has to count for something. If people are saying a loss doesn't matter, then put USC in. They are playing better than anyone not named Alabama, and if they were a 2-loss team and were playing for a Pac 12 title, I bet they would get in if they beat Washington. But they have that 3rd loss and so they wouldn't have been considered, even if Colorado had lost yesterday. So a loss should matter, and I think it would be very unfair for a 2-loss Big 10 champ to get in over a 1-loss Washington.

Oh, and Ohio State is going to get a spot from the committee, even as a non-conference champ. If you have any doubts about the powers-that-be wanting them in, go ahead and re-watch the Michigan game. I'm telling you, it was that bad and that eyebrow-raising.

I also think that Clemson would get in over Washington, just given their recent pedigree of high-level play and the fact that I think their non-conference schedule was much stronger than that of UW. Their Louisville win is looking worse by the second, and Florida State was down a bit this year, but I still think that they would get the nod over Washington.

Basically what I'm saying is that I think Washington is rooting for either a Clemson loss, or a Wisconsin win over Penn State. If Wisconsin ends up as the Big 10 champ, I think their case isn't quite as strong as Penn State's, although Wisconsin could still get in IMO. But Wisconsin's best win of the season is...I don't even know. They beat LSU in Week 1, and LSU lost 4 games. They beat Nebraska, a team that has imploded late. They beat an at-the-time #8 Michigan St. early in the year, and the Spartans went on to lose 9 times. Nine times. (Ed Rooney voice.) They did only lose their 2 games both by a TD to Ohio State and Michigan, which is solid enough. Still though, their most impressive win by far on the season will be against Penn St. if they can win that. I just don't think their resume is as strong as a 2-loss champ as Washington's would be, but I could totally see the committee giving the Pac 12 the shaft.

Oklahoma probably needs losses by Washington and Clemson to punch their ticket. Although a 2-loss Pac 12 champ in Colorado has a case against 2-loss Oklahoma (without a conference title game), I doubt that the committee would really pick Colorado over the cache of OU. They might even need a Penn St. loss, because I can't see the committee choosing Oklahoma, with 2 losses, over 2-loss Penn St, not when Penn. St. beat Ohio St., and the Buckeyes walloped OU. I could see them choosing Oklahoma over 2-loss Wisconsin, however.

With Florida's loss to FSU, they wouldn't get into the playoff even if they beat Alabama, because they now have 3 losses. Alabama would still get in if they lost, though they might perhaps lose their #1 seed. So from this perspective, I have 'Bama and Ohio St. as locks, and it's basically Clemson/Washington/Penn St./Wisconsin/Oklahoma/Colorado battling for the final 2 spots.

USC could very well get a top bowl game now. I mean, I saw projections that had Tennessee playing Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl, prior to the Vols' loss to Vanderbilt today. And Tennessee was ranked #17. USC is going to be right around 10th, somewhere in there. I see no reason why a big bowl game wouldn't want to take USC.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject:

Actually, I don't think OSU is a lock for the playoff. Assuming everyone wins out, Alabama and Clemson are in. That leaves you with OSU, the PSU-Wisconsin winner, UW, and the OU-Okla. St. winner. At this point, there aren't enough games left for anyone else to get into the picture. The scenario for the OU-Okla. St. winner is so remote that we can just ignore it.

In the scenario in which everyone wins out, I think UW is in, and the debate in the committee is between OSU and the PSU-Wisconsin winner. That is not a pleasant debate. The alternative is to take two Big-10 teams -- one a non-champion and the other with two losses -- over a one-loss conference champion from the Pac-12.

I think the committee will be rooting for Virginia Tech to beat Clemson. Even if Colorado beats UW, the committee would have a headache taking two Big-10 teams over a Pac-12 champion with two losses.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject:

There's just no way you can deny Ohio State. Wins over #3 Michigan soon to be #5 Michigan, #7 Wisconsin, #8 Oklahoma and one loss to #6 Penn State. They're in without a shadow of a doubt and yes I would put money on it.

I think the final selection will be rather boring.

Alabama
Ohio State
Clemson
Washington

None of these teams look good enough to beat Alabama, so it looks like the Dark Lord will reign supreme
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
As for Strong, giving a head coach less than 4 years makes little sense. He didn't even have the chance for his first recruiting class to become seniors.

I would usually agree with the thought....but you just cant lose to Kansas (when Kansas is as bad as they have been recently) when you are basically the biggest program in the country. I think Texas still has claim to the largest athletic and football program budget in the nation, right?

Coaches that are very successful at good programs should at least consider stories like Charlie Strong's before always jumping ship to the bigger program. Strong left U of Louisville right before they entered a Power 5 conference and had that program rolling. He could have become a great coach @ Louisville, and now he probably ends up at a non-Power 5 school. Reminds me of Rich Rodriguez @ WVU.....was one game away from BCS National Championship game....fans in WV were ready to build statues of the man...could have coached there for 30 years and already had the program in the Top 10 multiple years.....after he lost that game, left for Michigan....never had success there, and now is the coach of a mediocre team in Arizona that is nowhere near the top of the PAC12. Since he left, WVU went on to win BCS Bowls, move to the Big12, and is still mostly a top 25 program. The grass is not always greener.

Also with boosters and alumni looking at what other head coaches have done with programs in their 1st and 2nd year, Charlie Strong wasn't making progress fast enough not to get fired. I would think Texas likes to think of their football program as one that can compete for national championships, so when they see guys like Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh, Urban Meyer, etc turn around programs with players who weren't even their recruits and put them into national title contention in their 2nd and 3rd years, I can see why they felt like they had the wrong coach.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

Stay classy Notre Dame.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/notre-dames-jerry-tillery-kicks-head-of-player-who-just-1789388607
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
There's just no way you can deny Ohio State. Wins over #3 Michigan soon to be #5 Michigan, #7 Wisconsin, #8 Oklahoma and one loss to #6 Penn State. They're in without a shadow of a doubt and yes I would put money on it.

I think the final selection will be rather boring.

Alabama
Ohio State
Clemson
Washington

None of these teams look good enough to beat Alabama, so it looks like the Dark Lord will reign supreme

I could because they could not even win their Division within their conference, much less the conference championship....that being said, I agree with your picks if everyone wins out. Gets interesting if Colorado beats Washington.....then Colorado, Oklahoma (if they win) and Big10 Champ will be fighting for spot....with USC also having a slim chance. Clemson is not a sure thing to win the ACC Champ game...so it could get crazy.....but I wold bet they will never have Alabama @ #1 and Ohio State @ #4 to ensure they have a chance to play in title game.

Another twist....what if Oklahoma State wins Bedlam and although theire record will show 10-2....everyone knows they are really 11-1. Big 12 Champs and a 11-1 record has to be in discussion.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm glad Ed O is getting a shot. Not the best gameday coach but he can recruit.

If he surrounds himself with quality coordinators then he will do fine.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

Yep, he may want out. That's an interesting twist. If it's true, he timed it poorly. He could have gotten into the mix for LSU and Texas. Other than maybe Oregon, I don't know of any other big time programs that are likely to make a switch.

Maybe Michigan.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 7 of 77
Jump to: