College football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 75, 76, 77  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Texas should have gone for 2 on their TD in the first OT. They were going toe-to-toe with USC and nothing felt lucky about that particular game. The longer it went on, the more the pressure was on USC. They were about to have first and goal from close range, and what can you say, the dude from USC stripped the ball.

IMO, Herman correctly surmised that his team didn't need to resort to any type of gimmick to beat USC in that moment. They were on equal terms with them, at the very least. You show your players that you have faith in them when that seems to be the case.

Oh, and Rosen still cost UCLA that game.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject:

Not sure what happened...started drinking around 3PM CST Saturday and rest of the weekend is gone.

It's going to be a LONG season in Lincoln this year, please keep my liver in your thoughts and prayers.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
Not sure what happened...started drinking around 3PM CST Saturday and rest of the weekend is gone.

It's going to be a LONG season in Lincoln this year, please keep my liver in your thoughts and prayers.

the good news is you have Rutgers coming up and are favored
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

^^^^

The bad news is that they were favored against Northern Illinois, too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject:

Nice bit on the Saints game that Romo called yesterday outlining the football history of Eastern Illinois University. Sean Payton was the QB there my last two years. Guys like Fox, Shanahan, Romo, Garrapolo, even John Malcovich and Burl Ives.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:

It ain't Nebraska football unless you're drunk somewhere in a field.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:

I've been to Nebraska 3 times, and have been to Omaha, Lincoln, and Grand Island. This might not be literally true, but Nebraska football is everything to the folks there. I can't imagine this is an easy time for them right now, Huskers.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Texas had that game....allowed the classic Prevent Defense to prevent them from winning in regulation.

Texas lost because of that fumble in OT. USC defense finally made a play and boy did they need it because they looked hopeless. I thought Texas would run out of gas in this game and eventually fall behind and get blown out, but instead they actually looked stronger as the game went on. Can't believe USC literally took the entire second half just to score a field goal.

I disagree.....USC was always the better team, and if Texas stays in their normal pressure defense, and not allow all those underneath passes that got USC into FG range, they likely win in regulation. If I was Texas, I go for two in the first OT recognizing the longer this thing goes on, the more likely the better team wins.

I get that Texas defense held up in that last OT, but USC was being conservative knowing all they needed was a FG. If they are down by a TD, they probably play that OT different or at least have a different play calling scheme.

USC was really not much better in that game. I thought Texas looked better in the second half (and USC was clearly superior in the first half). USC couldn't run the ball and the o-line was getting whipped so the offense was really struggling. There was no threat of a vertical passing attack and Texas took advantage of that. Receivers were constantly dropping the ball and with Darnold getting pressured too much and no running game it was difficult to put together a solid drive. Darnold is awesome but he can look erratic at times and it doesn't help when he keeps getting pressured. Also, 5 of the defensive starters in the USC game against Stanford were out with injuries in the second half against Texas.

Texas is still really talented and is probably the most talented D that USC will face all season. And this was a huge game for them, while USC was coming off a big game at Stanford.

I can buy going for 2 because USC would have the ball second in the second OT. But I don't think USC matched up well against this team which made the difference between the teams look closer than it really was (or if I'm wrong then USC was clearly outcoached). The receivers flat out sucked and they need to get better at that position.

I don't understand why USC doesn't have a single bye on their schedule. First time that's happened since 1995.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:

Here's what happened. The Huskers paid NIU almost a million dollars hoping to get a patsy to pad their win/loss record and the Huskies showed up to make the Huskers pay on both ends.

I share your passion for the sauce, and I wish your liver well because mine could use the same the same well wishes. But as an NIU fan, I have no sympathy for the fact that Nebraska attempted to buy a win and got shafted for it. Maybe they should have looked at NIU's record in those kind of bought games over the last several years.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Texas is still really talented and is probably the most talented D that USC will face all season.

I agree.

Steve007 wrote:
I don't understand why USC doesn't have a single bye on their schedule. First time that's happened since 1995.

they kind of do.....it is just the last week of the season. They finish up their season a couple weeks before PAC 12 Championship Game while everyone else plays through the preceding week.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Texas is still really talented and is probably the most talented D that USC will face all season.

Did you watch any of the Maryland game? Okay, maybe Texas has talent on defense, and maybe it just took a couple games to get it together. We'll see about that.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Did you watch any of the Maryland game? Okay, maybe Texas has talent on defense, and maybe it just took a couple games to get it together. We'll see about that.

I took the "talented" comment as more raw ability and athleticism...Texas has as good of athletes as anyone in the country, but I would not bet on them performing consistently at this point. That being said, they literally shut down the USC ground game, and they may continue to be very good against the run.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

I took the "talented" comment as more raw ability and athleticism...Texas has as good of athletes as anyone in the country, but I would not bet on them performing consistently at this point. That being said, they literally shut down the USC ground game, and they may continue to be very good against the run.

Yet Maryland ran for 263 yards. Maybe that was a blip for a developing team, and maybe the USC game was more representative. We shall see. I don't follow Texas all that closely even though I'm technically an alumnus. Thankfully, Rice played Stanford for its annual paycheck game. The game was in Australia, so hopefully the kids had a good time before getting pummeled. I hate it when the paycheck game is Texas or TAMU. There are always a few Longhorn or Aggie fans who feel the need to pound their chests.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject:

I would put Utah, USC, Michigan, Georgia, San Diego State, Florida and Washington on upset alert this week.

Utah @ Arizona - Utah simply has not been tested this year, and Arizona has some offensive firepower....plus the game is in Tucson.

Michigan @ Purdue - Have not been impressed with Michigan this season....their offense has struggled, and this will be their first game away from Ann Arbor. Purdue has looked solid this season, almost knocking off Louisville in Week 1. Beating Michigan in West Lafayette would be a season defining victory.

Mississippi State @ Georgia - Georgia has not looked strong early in the season, and barely escaped a mediocre ND team.....while Mississippi State "opened up a can" on #12 LSU last week.

San Diego State @ Air Force - All good things must come to an end....SDSU has been impressive this year knocking off Arizona State and Stanford, but Air Force hung with Michigan for over 3 Quarters in the Big House and will be looking to get back on track in Colorado Springs.

Florida @ Kentucky - If not for a hail mary last week, UF is probably 0-2. Saying their offense is struggling is an understatement. While UF has beat UK in 30 consecutive seasons, UK looks solid this season and if they can score some points, they may be able to break that streak in Lexington this weekend.

Washington @ Colorado - I think Washington is over ranked, and living off of their success from last season. They have played a powder puff schedule so far this season, but will get all they can handle in Boulder this weekend. Colorado's offense has looked better each week, and I expect a much closer game this year in comparison to the lopsided 41-10 loss in the 2016 PAC 12 Championship Game.

Last edited by adkindo on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Yet Maryland ran for 263 yards. Maybe that was a blip for a developing team, and maybe the USC game was more representative. We shall see. I don't follow Texas all that closely even though I'm technically an alumnus. Thankfully, Rice played Stanford for its annual paycheck game. The game was in Australia, so hopefully the kids had a good time before getting pummeled. I hate it when the paycheck game is Texas or TAMU. There are always a few Longhorn or Aggie fans who feel the need to pound their chests.

there is always a chance Maryland is better than we expect them to be....they only have that game and one against Towson this season which really does not say much either way. MD has a solid UCF team visiting this weekend.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

I didn't watch the Maryland game, and I don't know why Maryland scored so easily against them. I'm guessing they ran a different offense but I am surprised they ran all over the Texas defense.

The playcalling on offense for USC was very predictable and they kept running similar plays in situations that were unsuccessful over and over again. Texas defenders didn't have a threat of anything behind them which made it easier for them to play on their toes and come forward more often. A lot of fans are questioning why the USC offense didn't try more play action on first down, but that would have been tougher with the o-line doing such a poor job with pass protection.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Yeah I meant raw ability and athleticism. Time will tell how good that defense really is. It was a huge game for Texas, so I could see them being more charged up than usual (both players and coaches) and bringing their A game.

Last edited by Steve007 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject:

Watched some highlights and Maryland was running a spread offense which looked nothing like the offense USC runs. Qbs ran for 78 yards so it wasn't like the defense could key in on one guy like they could when USC ran the ball, and it looks like they relied more on misdirection and confusion than USC did. I also saw Maryland connect on a couple of big play action passes on first down. They didn't throw much but the qbs were 12-15 for 219 yards. They did get some big runs up the middle though and had several big runs which USC wasn't able to do.

It was just highlights but Maryland looked really good. But their qb is out for the season now.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Heads begin to roll in Huskerland. There is probably an appropriate farming pun, but I'm a city boy.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/20777039/nebraska-cornhuskers-fire-ad-shawn-eichorst
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Heads begin to roll in Huskerland. There is probably an appropriate farming pun, but I'm a city boy.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/20777039/nebraska-cornhuskers-fire-ad-shawn-eichorst

As are most of us in Nebraska

Mostly surprised by the timing, and the tired excuse of it not being about the football performance. No, it's exactly because of how bad the team has been. Riley's head is squarely positioned on the chopping block, as is Tim Miles (basketball coach) so we may have two important hires soon. Lots of speculation, it'll be interesting to watch what happens. Prevailing hope is a native son returns home and rights the football ship. Yeah, we are all looking at you Scott Frost.

As for AD, the most talked about person is former Husker great and AD at a smaller D1 school in Nebraska, Trev Alberts. He wouldn't necessarily be my first choice, but he's the most mentioned right now.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

like "they are cleaning out the chicken coop"?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Watched some highlights and Maryland was running a spread offense which looked nothing like the offense USC runs. Qbs ran for 78 yards so it wasn't like the defense could key in on one guy like they could when USC ran the ball, and it looks like they relied more on misdirection and confusion than USC did. I also saw Maryland connect on a couple of big play action passes on first down. They didn't throw much but the qbs were 12-15 for 219 yards. They did get some big runs up the middle though and had several big runs which USC wasn't able to do.

It was just highlights but Maryland looked really good. But their qb is out for the season now.

really interested in their game against UCF this weekend....more so to see if UCF is going to be able to compete for the AAC Championship this year.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

USC looking REALLY overrated right now. Or in desperate need of a bye week and the team is banged up.

Maybe that Texas D looked so good because the USC offense isn't that good.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

[quote="adkindo"]
Steve007 wrote:

Steve007 wrote:

they kind of do.....it is just the last week of the season. They finish up their season a couple weeks before PAC 12 Championship Game while everyone else plays through the preceding week.

Terrible time for a bye IMO. If they won't have a bye during the season, I'd prefer they play a much easier non conference schedule. Even Western Michigan was a tough game.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Watching Alabama vs vanderbilt. Bo Scarborough looks good, nice size, 6′ 2″, 236 lbs. I don't like Hurts delivery, he winds up. I also think he runs to much. He won't last in the NFL doing what he's doing in college.

SC, Cal playing I don't want it you take it.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 18 of 77
Jump to: