ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Does UCLA even have a defense?

Hard to watch.

DaMuleRules, 2 Sept 2017
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Stamturd owns Jim Moron JR again. This is basically a repeat of Mora’s NFL tenure. Like a firecracker, his career starts with a bang and then fizzles. For a former DC at HC with a formerly top DC, this is just laughable. Strength coach Sal “Tripper” Alosi has to be one of the worst conditioning coaches ever. Bet Rosen wishes Mora wasn’t his high school neighbor right about now.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject:

Vanderbilt you wanted it, beware what you wish for 😂 ROLL TIDE

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Stamturd owns Jim Moron JR again. This is basically a repeat of Mora’s NFL tenure. Like a firecracker, his career starts with a bang and then fizzles. For a former DC at HC with a formerly top DC, this is just laughable. Strength coach Sal “Tripper” Alosi has to be one of the worst conditioning coaches ever. Bet Rosen wishes Mora wasn’t his high school neighbor right about now.

The UCLA Regents need to clean house
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject:

The only game I really watched was PSU at Iowa. I didn't have a dog in that hunt, but it was a great ending and a clutch win for PSU. Just the same, PSU is a little overrated.

I watched enough of Notre Dame at MSU to decide that ND is going to be a handful this year. Anyone who underestimates the Irish is in for a nasty surprise. This team has a different vibe than recent editions.

Other comments:

Someone will need to explain to me how Baylor could lose to Liberty, UTSA, and Duke, and then turn around and put a legitimate scare into OU. Maybe it was just one of those fluke games, or maybe OU isn't all that great.

Watch out for TCU. The Horned Frogs are flying under the radar, which is just the way that they like it.

Some people are starting to tout Georgia as a threat to Alabama in the SEC title game. Georgia has a reasonable path to reach that game, but I'm not buying them as much of a threat yet.

The Aztec machine rolls on. However, the next game is against Northern Illinois, conquerors of Nebraska. (Sorry, Huskers.)
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The only game I really watched was PSU at Iowa. I didn't have a dog in that hunt, but it was a great ending and a clutch win for PSU. Just the same, PSU is a little overrated.

Felt horrible for the Iowa fans. One play from that underdog win.

Quote:
The Aztec machine rolls on. However, the next game is against Northern Illinois, conquerors of Nebraska. (Sorry, Huskers.)

That Nebraska game was the kind of game NIU has a history of pulling off against the odds. I'll be interested to see how that SDSU game goes for them.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Felt horrible for the Iowa fans. One play from that underdog win.

What about that Iowa safety? He probably felt the breeze from the ball going over his fingertips. It reminded me of that Aggie defensive back who let Rosen's pass go right through his hands.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I watched enough of Notre Dame at MSU to decide that ND is going to be a handful this year. Anyone who underestimates the Irish is in for a nasty surprise. This team has a different vibe than recent editions.

I feel that 1 point loss to Georgia is going to come back to haunt us
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

RJBaca wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Hard to watch.

If it wasn't for Rosen's heroics in the first game they would be 1-3.
Excluding the Hawaii game, which is one of their gimme games, they have allowed 44 points, 48 points, and 58 points from quality opponents. You won't win many football games with that bad of a defense.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Eh. Even though I like what I see in this year's Irish team, I don't think they're national title contenders. I'd expect them to end up about 8-4 or 9-3. That's movement in the right direction, though.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
rwongega wrote:

The UCLA Regents need to clean house

They're too busy building mansions for their cats out of the tuition paid by students.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Eh. Even though I like what I see in this year's Irish team, I don't think they're national title contenders. I'd expect them to end up about 8-4 or 9-3. That's movement in the right direction, though.

Sounds about right will be much better than last season and by then Wimbush will have more experience.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject:

I went to the local high school football game this weekend, and by the time I came home I began to feel sickness coming on....so I pretty much was horizontal all day Saturday just watching college football....some take aways....

- It sure feels like Alabama has began to separate themselves from the crowd. I would have included Clemson in with Bama, but Clemson looked pretty pedestrian against BC this weekend....entering the 4thQ tied.

- Is Baylor back and going to be a tough out each weekend, or was that some sort of weird mirage against OK this weekend?

- Did not see the TCU upset of OK State coming....I guess TCU has solidified itself as the best team in Texas....and now will try to prove they are the best team in the Big 12. They have WVU @ home in the next game (in 2 weeks), and that will be a tough win to get.

- I really do not fault PSU for the close escape against unranked Iowa.....taking a high ranking into Iowa City for a night game and leaving with that high ranking has been difficult for decades.

- Thought Washington and Washington State both looked solid....Washington better than I thought.

- Maybe the best thing to happen for Michigan was Speight having to leave in the first quarter.

- Wow, Georgia looked woke!

- FSU may be in trouble.....that defense does not look elite (as it was forecasted), and that Freshman QB looks slimmer than Brandon Ingram.

- Va. Tech is a little under the radar, but Clemson better pack a lunch this weekend....it's going to be a long day in Blacksburg.

- Florida "escapes" Kentucky for their 31st straight win against the Wildcats...that really all I can say about that game.

- I do not get the Sam Darnold experience...I have seen him make some tough throws, but overall he seems pretty pedestrian to me....and he is built like a punter...

- Some head scratchers in the newest polls, but the worst 2 items in the Coaches Poll have to be an 0-2 FSU is still ranked, while a 3-1 NC State who just beat FSU is not ranked! The second item is LSU and Mississippi State are both 3-1, while MSU beat LSU 37-7 last week, but is ranked behind LSU!
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
RJBaca wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Hard to watch.

If it wasn't for Rosen's heroics in the first game they would be 1-3.
Excluding the Hawaii game, which is one of their gimme games, they have allowed 44 points, 48 points, and 58 points from quality opponents. You won't win many football games with that bad of a defense.

They would be 4-0 if they had a defense. What a waste when they have such a talented quarterback.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

UCLA's defensive line is just getting pushed back snap after snap, and it's obvious that they weren't able to replace the losses of McKinley and Vanderdoes.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
UCLA's defensive line is just getting pushed back snap after snap, and it's obvious that they weren't able to replace the losses of McKinley and Vanderdoes.

Not just that. The offensive line is getting bulldozed back into the QB/RB every snap. When there's a severe deficiency in both lines (and also linebackers), the common denominator is the strength coach, which is Sal Alosi. He hasn't done anything other than pick a fight with Diddy and trip a player on the slidelines.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

they have to do something about the "targeting" rule. I continue to see great football plays being called targeting, and a player getting ejected. Saw several this weekend, including UCLA's Adarius Khyree.....but the worst had to be against FSU's Jacob Pugh!

https://twitter.com/YahooDrSaturday/status/911662120265281537

that is just the dude's arm making contact with a passer's helmet....and its not even the QB!

Something has to change.....50%+ of these calls are on split second plays that are unavoidable by the way the offensive player moves his body.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
they have to do something about the "targeting" rule. I continue to see great football plays being called targeting, and a player getting ejected. Saw several this weekend, including UCLA's Adarius Khyree.....but the worst had to be against FSU's Jacob Pugh!

that is just the dude's arm making contact with a passer's helmet....and its not even the QB!

Something has to change.....50%+ of these calls are on split second plays that are unavoidable by the way the offensive player moves his body.

I think the idea of a targeting rule is good -- that you should be ejected for spearing a defenseless player.. But I agree, there needs to be wider discretion given to the ref, as a lot of these are clearly unintentional, and the result of the ball carrier moving at the last second and the defender not having time to adjust.

Maybe something like if there's clear intent and the defender leads with the crown of the helmet, it's an ejection. But if intent isn't clear and the defender didn't have time to adjust to the movement of the offensive player, then it's a 15 yard penalty, and the second offense of the game is an ejection for that player.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I think the idea of a targeting rule is good -- that you should be ejected for spearing a defenseless player.. But I agree, there needs to be wider discretion given to the ref, as a lot of these are clearly unintentional, and the result of the ball carrier moving at the last second and the defender not having time to adjust.

Maybe something like if there's clear intent and the defender leads with the crown of the helmet, it's an ejection. But if intent isn't clear and the defender didn't have time to adjust to the movement of the offensive player, then it's a 15 yard penalty, and the second offense of the game is an ejection for that player.

I agree...I am fine with making it about the crown of the helmet, or obvious intent....but when a 6'4" Defensive End plants the front of his helmet into the chest or shoulder of an offensive player, and because of the height difference, his helmet makes contact with the offensive players facemask (and I have seen this multiple times this year), that should not be an ejection. I think it should have to be either flagrant or reckless.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

I dislike any rule that requires a referee to judge intent. Most rules have evolved away from intent, because players will just find ways to disguise their intent. For example, intentional grounding has little or nothing to do with intent. Instead, there is essentially an exception for clear inadvertence. If a QB gets hit while releasing the ball, he won't get called for intentional grounding even if the ball goes nowhere near a receiver.

I'd be fine with the same thing for targeting. If it is clearly inadvertent, it's just a penalty. The point of the rule is to change behavior. Players are supposed to be avoiding situations where they could end up hitting the opponent in the head. If we allow a defender to hit the QB or receiver in the chest and then slide up and drill him in the head, we've accomplished nothing.

As for Pugh, that's targeting. Why is he hitting the guy in the face? I wouldn't call that one inadvertent. I can understand why FSU fans didn't like the call, but again, the purpose of the rule is to stop this sort of thing from happening.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I dislike any rule that requires a referee to judge intent. Most rules have evolved away from intent, because players will just find ways to disguise their intent. For example, intentional grounding has little or nothing to do with intent. Instead, there is essentially an exception for clear inadvertence. If a QB gets hit while releasing the ball, he won't get called for intentional grounding even if the ball goes nowhere near a receiver.

I'd be fine with the same thing for targeting. If it is clearly inadvertent, it's just a penalty. The point of the rule is to change behavior. Players are supposed to be avoiding situations where they could end up hitting the opponent in the head. If we allow a defender to hit the QB or receiver in the chest and then slide up and drill him in the head, we've accomplished nothing.

As for Pugh, that's targeting. Why is he hitting the guy in the face? I wouldn't call that one inadvertent. I can understand why FSU fans didn't like the call, but again, the purpose of the rule is to stop this sort of thing from happening.

All I can really say is I disagree with mostly everything you have stated. I am not trying to position myself as an expert, but I played football from the age of 5 to 23 years old....and I am absolutely certain many of the calls for targeting are unavoidable in a collision sport, and will always be unavoidable when you are hitting a moving target. As for Pugh....yes, by the literal words of the rule, that is targeting.....which I find as only more support of the absurdity of the way the rule is being implemented....
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject:

You do notice that an offensive player never gets called for leading with the head, even though they do regularly. Blockers and ball carriers so it all the time and never a call.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Players need to learn to tackle better. The Stanford player who got ejected placed his head across the receiver’s body (right side) and when the runner’s head came down there was helmet to helmet contact. If he had put his head on the near hip (rugby style) there would be no problem. Pete Carroll is way ahead of the curve on that. That is the style of tackling that we teach
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Players need to learn to tackle better. The Stanford player who got ejected placed his head across the receiver’s body (right side) and when the runner’s head came down there was helmet to helmet contact. If he had put his head on the near hip (rugby style) there would be no problem. Pete Carroll is way ahead of the curve on that. That is the style of tackling that we teach

my whole life, I was taught to put my facemask into the players chest, and drive through them....going in on the near hip creates much more opportunity to miss or"not get enough" to bring the player down....its center mass theory.

to be honest, I played FS in college....and its been 15 years ago, but targeting was kind of my job description. I was offended when receivers thought they could run a route across the middle of the field....and de-cleating them was option #1, #2 and #3.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 19 of 77
Jump to: