College football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 75, 76, 77  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject:

If I was Frost....I try to squeeze UCF into giving me more money....$3 Million range....with a lot of incentives to get maybe an additional $500K -$1 Million for things like conference championship, New Years Day Bowl, etc. Long term....requiring full buyout if let go, and light buyout if he leaves. I know its still less than the $5+ Million handed out to SEC coaches....but continue building something @ UCF. UCF is a massive University right in the middle of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country....and I think its only a matter of time before it gets a Power 5 invite.

Not trying to offend anyone, but the likely outcome of going to Florida or Nebraska does not end well. The impossible expectations at both locations seem like too much to me. I mean if he goes to Nebraska, they will expect him to return Husker football to its historical position of being a Top 10 program....and the changes to the college football landscape make that very unlikely. I heard someone say last week "if Scott Frost goes to Nebraska, you will hear his name twice...the day he is hired, and 3 years later when he is fired."

Florida seems like it has the same inherent flaws....unless someone can return "Fun & Gun" Spurrier ball to the Swamp, the fans will not be satisfied....not sure that will be an easy feat in the SEC.

I am not a UCF fan even though it is local....but it just seems like the place where Frost is most likely to find long term success....and eventually get as far under the Golden Knight flag as he would under other interested schools.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Huskers wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
So the rumor mill is Chip Kelly. His agent has flown to LA, is a UCLA alum, and supposedly Kelly is flying to LA as well. I'm eh. He did well in Oregon and Philly, until he started playing GM. But I don't know how well he'd do without the financial support of Nike and I rather liked Jedd Fisch at OC.

This would be about as good of a hire as UCLA can make. Chip has had massive success in college and I think that his system is tailor-made for the college game. It would be the most exciting football hire UCLA has made, well, ever. Maybe he'll fail, but his past success is something that a school like UCLA should take a chance on.

Mora got UCLA two straight good college QB's, so I will give him that, and he did end up recruiting a lot of guys that ended up as pros. He did well there. But I agree with the fact that his teams tended to be far too undisciplined. I think the firing was justified.

I can see the appeal for Chip Kelly though I consider Scott Frost an up-and-coming coach (plus, hiring him away (bleep) over U Can't Fail). Kelly would do best to retain Fisch though seeing as Fisch is kind of a more rational Kelly.

Technically, Hundley was Neuheisel's recruit. All Mora did was reap the benefits past the redshirt year. I give him credit for Rosen but that was more out of pure luck that Rosen was a neighbor. As for the rest, a big chuck were Neuheisel guys and a lot of Mora's more recent recruits have fizzled (Chris Clark, Mique Juarez, Priest Willis, etc). Regardless, it's simply not a good sign when so many 4-5 star prospects underwhelm and somehow the team gets outplayed by 2-3 star teams. Mora also made some poor judgment in selecting assistants (promoting a stud RB coach into OC, revolving door of DC's, Sal Alosi, Adrian Klemm).

This is about as close as you can get to having a reportable post. No, just no to Scott Frost to UCLA. We already lost him once when we really wanted him to a Cali school. If he goes it again, Husker fans will go nuclear. Will be VERY UGLY.

I'd much rather UCLA get Chip the day after we announce Frost and leave Florida in the dust.

lol, but it's true. I do like what Frost can bring. Well, he didn't go to a Cali School though. University of Central Florida, UCF or U Can't Fail, is probably the farthest from a California school as possible (believe me, I had the unfortunate experience there). Hadn't considered what it would do to Nebraska but now that I have, I'll have the popcorn ready.

I was referring to him going to Stanford out of HS and spurring the Huskers in the beginning of their historic run. He told us 'no' and went running to Bill Walsh and Cali once. We can't have him saying 'no' to us and run to a different Cali school. Husker fans will make the internet blow up with the vitriol we will display.

As for recruits, he can get the recruits he truly needs for his system in a 500 mile radius of Lincoln. So many great talented players in Kansas City, Saint Louis. Denver, Chicago area that there's enough talent to win and just get scoop once in a while in the coasts. When we were dominating, that's what we did. Iowa, Minny, NW, MSU, KSU etc were getting our left overs. Now we are battling for them. Win the battles at home and we'll be fine.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:

Chip Kelly update...

Mark Schlabach‏
Verified account

@Mark_Schlabach
Follow
Follow @Mark_Schlabach

More
Filed to ESPN: Chip Kelly met with UCLA officials in LA on Tuesday. He is expected to decide between Florida and UCLA jobs in coming days. He is not expected to consider any other college openings
6:38 AM - 22 Nov 2017
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Not trying to offend anyone, but the likely outcome of going to Florida or Nebraska does not end well. The impossible expectations at both locations seem like too much to me. I mean if he goes to Nebraska, they will expect him to return Husker football to its historical position of being a Top 10 program....and the changes to the college football landscape make that very unlikely. I heard someone say last week "if Scott Frost goes to Nebraska, you will hear his name twice...the day he is hired, and 3 years later when he is fired."

Florida seems like it has the same inherent flaws....unless someone can return "Fun & Gun" Spurrier ball to the Swamp, the fans will not be satisfied....not sure that will be an easy feat in the SEC.

Florida has two things going for it. First, it sits in one of the best recruiting regions in the nation. Second, the SEC East is manageable. If that is an option, then Frost should jump on it.

Nebraska is what the Brits would call a poisoned chalice. At least from a football perspective, Nebraska has screwed itself over the last 15 years or so. It is not in a good recruiting region, it plays in a conference where it lacks historical roots, and its alumni will never accept that it is no longer on a par with the big programs. I remain of the opinion that Nebraska is job best suited to someone like Les Miles, who might be able to open some of the recruiting lanes. But Nebraska doesn't seem to be hungry enough yet.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Filed to ESPN: Chip Kelly met with UCLA officials in LA on Tuesday. He is expected to decide between Florida and UCLA jobs in coming days. He is not expected to consider any other college openings

Wow. He would be a perfect fit at UCLA. An overrated coach at an overrated program. An coach who doesn't like to recruit at a program that doesn't recruit as well as it should. A coach would bristles at criticism at a program where everything is constantly criticized.

What could possibly go wrong?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Wow. He would be a perfect fit at UCLA. An overrated coach at an overrated program. An coach who doesn't like to recruit at a program that doesn't recruit as well as it should. A coach would bristles at criticism at a program where everything is constantly criticized.

Actually, I don't think a ton is expected at UCLA, and if the reports are true, he would prefer to not go to a place where it's a fishbowl-like existence (which sounds like Florida to me). If he goes 9-4 every year in Westwood, that will be fine. It's losing seasons that aren't acceptable, particularly in a row. I mean, with Terry Donahue, it's not like UCLA was a national title contender that often. Maybe once every few years we would figure into the mix, at best. But we were a consistently good team, and that was good enough for the fans.

If we got Kelly, I don't know how well it would go, but I just have a hunch that Chip's scheme would be good again at the college level. He recruited really well at Oregon and certainly knows the league. And you saw what has happened to Oregon since he left; Helfrich was like a Larry Coker 2.0, inheriting the previous coach's players, doing well for a few years, and then having the roof cave in when the previous coach's recruits dried up. We'll see what Taggart can do there, but I'm skeptical.

As I said before, it would be the splashiest hire UCLA football has made in, well, ever. There is far more to gain than there is to lose here. This is a team that has suffered through Karl Dorrell and Rick Neuheisel in recent years. Kelly's Oregon teams dominated the Pac-12 for a while, going 46-7 overall in his 4 seasons, including 33-3 in conference. Maybe his star has dimmed after the NFL stints and maybe he can't ever recapture that glory, but I say, swing for the fences, and if it doesn't work out, what have you really lost?

If Kelly does choose Florida, I wonder if UCLA could turn its attention to the just-ousted Kevin Sumlin.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Oh look, a joke post.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Actually, I don't think a ton is expected at UCLA, and if the reports are true, he would prefer to not go to a place where it's a fishbowl-like existence (which sounds like Florida to me). If he goes 9-4 every year in Westwood, that will be fine. It's losing seasons that aren't acceptable, particularly in a row. I mean, with Terry Donahue, it's not like UCLA was a national title contender that often. Maybe once every few years we would figure into the mix, at best. But we were a consistently good team, and that was good enough for the fans.

If we got Kelly, I don't know how well it would go, but I just have a hunch that Chip's scheme would be good again at the college level. He recruited really well at Oregon and certainly knows the league. And you saw what has happened to Oregon since he left; Helfrich was like a Larry Coker 2.0, inheriting the previous coach's players, doing well for a few years, and then having the roof cave in when the previous coach's recruits dried up. We'll see what Taggart can do there, but I'm skeptical.

As I said before, it would be the splashiest hire UCLA football has made in, well, ever. There is far more to gain than there is to lose here. This is a team that has suffered through Karl Dorrell and Rick Neuheisel in recent years. Kelly's Oregon teams dominated the Pac-12 for a while, going 46-7 overall in his 4 seasons, including 33-3 in conference. Maybe his star has dimmed after the NFL stints and maybe he can't ever recapture that glory, but I say, swing for the fences, and if it doesn't work out, what have you really lost?

If Kelly does choose Florida, I wonder if UCLA could turn its attention to the just-ousted Kevin Sumlin.

Managed expectations. It's disappointing when a fanbase is ok with mediocrity or just "making a bowl game" especially with the kind of resources in Westwood. But that said, any fanbase that doesn't expect the best out of their team is either a Cleveland Browns, Seattle Mariners, or Clippers fan.

I wouldn't touch Sumlin with a 10 foot pole. Why hire the coach you just embarrassed on a national stage? I'd rather just stay with Fisch if that were the situation.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Managed expectations. It's disappointing when a fanbase is ok with mediocrity or just "making a bowl game" especially with the kind of resources in Westwood. But that said, any fanbase that doesn't expect the best out of their team is either a Cleveland Browns, Seattle Mariners, or Clippers fan.

I wouldn't touch Sumlin with a 10 foot pole. Why hire the coach you just embarrassed on a national stage? I'd rather just stay with Fisch if that were the situation.

As much as I might want it to be different, the fact is that UCLA is simply not a football school, just like USC isn't a basketball school. But that doesn't mean that we can't try to catch lightning with Kelly.

As for Sumlin, he's had some reasonable success in the toughest division (SEC West) in the toughest conference in football. It's not like there are going to be obvious, slam-dunk hires available out there if they don't get Kelly. I think Fisch is a decent offensive mind, but I have no idea if he can be a head coach or not.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

The height of UCLA"s football program in recent memory was in 1998 when they were a game away from playing in the national championship game but lost in a makeup game playing against the University of Miami. I think if they want to revive the football program they will have to get somebody like Chip Kelly or find a hidden diamond in an up and coming coach.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Eh. My perspective comes from over in the CST. Nike and a cast of shady characters did a great job of recruiting at Oregon. Chip Kelly got a show-cause order as part of the probation, though that has now expired. There was a fair amount of publicity over here in the CST about the stuff that Oregon was doing to pick up Texas recruits.

This is a guy who was considered innovative at the time, but who has now been copied to death. He doesn't have Nike to bankroll the recruiting machine any more. So sure, go for it.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Eh. My perspective comes from over in the CST. Nike and a cast of shady characters did a great job of recruiting at Oregon. Chip Kelly got a show-cause order as part of the probation, though that has now expired. There was a fair amount of publicity over here in the CST about the stuff that Oregon was doing to pick up Texas recruits.

This is a guy who was considered innovative at the time, but who has now been copied to death. He doesn't have Nike to bankroll the recruiting machine any more. So sure, go for it.

I think he's like a Steve Spurrier, where he wasn't cut out for the NFL (even though he did make a playoff appearance in his first year) but where what he wants to do just fits the college game. Maybe his star has dimmed to where he can't get the necessary recruits to be highly successful at UCLA, but I'm absolutely wanting to find out, given the potential upside and given the alternatives. I mean, what are the alternatives? Fisch? Mike Riley? Sumlin? UCLA paying Mora's buyout strongly suggests that they are aiming to take a major swing with this next hire.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

As much as I might want it to be different, the fact is that UCLA is simply not a football school, just like USC isn't a basketball school. But that doesn't mean that we can't try to catch lightning with Kelly.

As for Sumlin, he's had some reasonable success in the toughest division (SEC West) in the toughest conference in football. It's not like there are going to be obvious, slam-dunk hires available out there if they don't get Kelly. I think Fisch is a decent offensive mind, but I have no idea if he can be a head coach or not.

Just because something isn't, doesn't mean it can't. It just needs one good spark. There was significant increase in interest in UCLA football during the first part of the Mora era. I was guarded because I knew he'd fall flat eventually just like at all his other stops. Whether it be Kelly, Frost, Fisch, etc, just need one coach to set the tone.

Sumlin has had some success but he's basically another version of Mora (hell, he even hired the same OC). I'd rather have an unknown question than someone on the downswing.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
As much as I might want it to be different, the fact is that UCLA is simply not a football school, just like USC isn't a basketball school.

Well that's just a poor and wrong perspective. Who would have thought Gonzaga would become such a powerhouse in basketball? Or even Oregon in football and basketball? What were the Spurs prior to David Robinson and Tim Duncan? It just takes that one big move to change the narrative. Don't let usc honks like AH gaslight you into thinking differently. The local advantages that LA has over other places, when utilized correctly, can galvanize a program to new heights. There's no reason that UCLA football cannot finally start reaching its potential. But to be fair, I do agree that usc isn't a basketball school. That's not their fault per se, they just do not seem to ever have had any meaningful support for that program.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
As much as I might want it to be different, the fact is that UCLA is simply not a football school, just like USC isn't a basketball school.

Well that's just a poor and wrong perspective. Who would have thought Gonzaga would become such a powerhouse in basketball? Or even Oregon in football and basketball? What were the Spurs prior to David Robinson and Tim Duncan? It just takes that one big move to change the narrative. Don't let usc honks like AH gaslight you into thinking differently. The local advantages that LA has over other places, when utilized correctly, can galvanize a program to new heights. There's no reason that UCLA football cannot finally start reaching its potential. But to be fair, I do agree that usc isn't a basketball school. That's not their fault per se, they just do not seem to ever have had any meaningful support for that program.

Most schools usually have one big sports program that they budget for and build around.
I believe USC didn't even get that basketball arena built until 15 years ago and that was because a very rich alumnus donated tens of millions of dollars before he passed away to push the project forward.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Don't let usc honks like AH gaslight you into thinking differently.

Well, that’s something I never expected to be called.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:

^
LOL, AH.

My point was just that it's not like UCLA is up for the likes of Nick Saban-type hires. If they could get a college coach from the same league that went 46-7 as recently as 2009-2012, I don't think it's a bad move. And his scheme is difficult to defend against at the college level. I think it would be an upside hire and they don't have much to lose. As I said, if it doesn't work, how is that any different from years under Dorrell and Neuheisel, Toledo, and even Mora? The reward here far outweighs the risk IMO. UCLA is not starting from a place of being at the top of the conference. UCLA is a mediocre, .500-type of team right now.

Some reports today said Kelly is likely to choose UCLA, and one even said it's all but a done deal, but then I think that was retracted.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Aren't you a big usc fan? Perhaps I got you mixed up with someone else. If so, I apologize for that insult.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Aren't you a big usc fan? Perhaps I got you mixed up with someone else. If so, I apologize for that insult.

Just subtract the usc from that statement.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

AC Green V Card is one outspoken USC fan on LG....maybe that is who you were thinking of...or maybe not.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

2007.....10 years ago....WVU entered the final game of the season ranked #2 in the country headed to the BCS National Championship game against #1 Missouri (Missouri lost that weekend to Oklahoma). All WVU had to do was take their #2 squad to Heinz Field and defeat a 4-7 Pitt team. Should have been automatic. That crappy 4-7 Pitt team ruined that plan by beating WVU 13-9. With Missouri's loss, LSU went on to defeat Ohio State in BCS Championship Game. WVU had to settle for the Fiesta Bowl where they throttled Oklahoma.

History appears to be repeating itself today. Miami takes a #2 ranking to Heinz Field, and all they needed to do was defeat a 4-7 Pitt team to put themselves in prime position to secure a College Football Playoff spot......late in the 4th, that crappy Pitt team is about to ruin that plan.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Down goes Miami.....they had an outside shot to make a comeback with that recovered onside kick.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Wisconsin in, Miami out.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Wisconsin in, Miami out.

do not think that will last long (do not think they can beat Ohio State...just my opinion)....if Miami wins next week, they are probably back in....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Now its time for the War on I-4....USF @ UCF

Wake up Big12....your 11th and 12th teams are playing today in Orlando, FL!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 28 of 77
Jump to: