Ranking the Team’s Top 5 Worst Decisions Since 2010
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Rank the Lakers Top 5 Worst Decisions Since 2010
Nash/Howard Fiasco
17%
 17%  [ 17 ]
Picking Mike D’Antoni Over Phil Jackson
38%
 38%  [ 38 ]
Letting Gasol walk for nothing in return
15%
 15%  [ 15 ]
Completely Breaking up the team in 2011
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Not Firing Jim Buss
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
Other
19%
 19%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 100

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Ranking the Team’s Top 5 Worst Decisions Since 2010

Ranking the Team’s Top 5 Worst Decisions Since 2010

Quote:
With the Los Angeles Lakers seemingly stuck in mediocrity these days, it’s easy to forget that this is one of the most successful franchises in North American sports history.

Although it was only six years ago, the year 2010 seems like a distant memory for the Los Angeles Lakers.

2010 represents the last time the Lakers won an NBA championship, the last time the team was dominant and formidable, and unfortunately, the last time they consistently made good decisions for the benefit of the franchise.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2016/09/09/lakers-top-5-worst-decisions-since-2010-ranked-dwight-howard/
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject:

I don't understand why people waste time on that website, LG offers more in intelligent discussion. Did 2011 never happen? That being said, to answer the poll question, we should have traded Gasol when we traded for Howard.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

Not rebuilding until Kobe left.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject:

Picking dantoni over Phil was the worst decision. We had a decent squad when we had Nash and Howard. Phil would have gotten that team to work but Jim buss decided to build the coaching around Steve Nash instead of Kobe and Howard. This was the biggest failure of the Jim buss administration.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Picking dantoni over Phil was the worst decision. We had a decent squad when we had Nash and Howard. Phil would have gotten that team to work but Jim buss decided to build the coaching around Steve Nash instead of Kobe and Howard. This was the biggest failure of the Jim buss administration.

He wasn't even Jim's worst coaching hire.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject:

Nash and Howard were worth the risk.
They hired MDA because they needed a coach not a backstabbing retired coach who wanted to replace the man hiring him.
Letting Gasol walk for nothing is the norm for vet FAs, not the exception.
Breaking up the team in 2011 made sense then and now.
I like what Jim has done rebuilding the roster, coaching staff, training staff, scouts, analytic department and new training facility. Can't wait to see them all working together going forward.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject:

The worst decision was "Basketball Reasons."

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
The worst decision was the "Veto."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
They hired MDA because they needed a coach not a backstabbing retired coach who wanted to replace the man hiring him.
I like what Jim has done rebuilding the roster, coaching staff, training staff, scouts, analytic department and new training facility. Can't wait to see them all working together going forward.

They hired a coach that directly led to Howard's departure(not that I liked him, but he was an asset). Howard wanted Phil, the fans wanted Phil, but they chose D' Antoni and sent us into this spiral. The Nash trade was bad. A 38 year old PG with a history of back problems is not a good bet. They should have went younger, but oh well.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject:

Kobe's huge 3 year deal and him no longer playing like a star.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:
2 year extension but this is it.

Of course that contract allowed us to tank the last two years, intentionally or not.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject:

How in the world is hiring Byron Scott not on this list?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

So do I, but why did it have to take so long? This is kind of like giving Nixon credit for ending the Vietnam War.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject:

Probably the worst decision was not trading Howard half way through the season when it was clear he didn't fit. His stock was still high and there was talk about a griffin for Howard trade at that point. Instead, we kept him and looked foolish for begging him to stay and the lack of a dantoni/Howard fit forced Kobe to be overplayed and he got injured.

If Howard had been traded, Kobe probably wouldn't have been injured and we'd have griffin and probably have been able to sign Anthony. That would have put us in a much better position with this years past FA class and we may have been able to get whiteside.

If not for that single decision, in a perfect world we would have had

SF Anthony
PF Griffin
C Whiteside

As our core instead of the 4-5 year rebuild we are part of right now.

That may have been the worst decision seeing the consequences that followed in the history of our organization.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

They hired a coach that directly led to Howard's departure(not that I liked him, but he was an asset). Howard wanted Phil, the fans wanted Phil, but they chose D' Antoni and sent us into this spiral. The Nash trade was bad. A 38 year old PG with a history of back problems is not a good bet. They should have went younger, but oh well.

I wanted Phil.
I was so upset that I remember where I was (Vegas) and what I was doing (REDEACTED) the moment I found out that he wasn't hired.

Phil had already retired from coaching but may have agreed to coach in the short term if it led to a long term position in the FO. Considering the bridge that Phil purposely burned with Jim, there was no way that he could be brought into the FO.
Again, Phil went out of his way to purposely fracture his relationship with Jim Buss before during and after interviewing for a job coupled to a promotion.

Phil is a great coach, but the owners and managers of both franchises he worked for hate his guts, do not trust him, do not like him and want nothing to do with him. The Bulls hated him so much that they blew up the Jordan-Pippen team rather than bringing him back. Phil is a major league prick, and the only FO person that he ever got along with is the one he sleeps with.

Howard resisted MDA's pick and roll offense that would have suited him quite well (with a healthy Nash), preferring to play in the post despite the fact that he is inefficient at it, even more so after back surgery. Phil would not have liked Howard's happy-go-lucky demeanor and work habits. Phil would tweaked him in the press and ridden him to the point that Howard would have hated Phil by the time that first season had ended. And DH certainly would have left after Kobe snapped his Achilles no matter who was the coach.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Probably the worst decision was not trading Howard half way through the season when it was clear he didn't fit. His stock was still high and there was talk about a griffin for Howard trade at that point. Instead, we kept him and looked foolish for begging him to stay and the lack of a dantoni/Howard fit forced Kobe to be overplayed and he got injured.

If Howard had been traded, Kobe probably wouldn't have been injured and we'd have griffin and probably have been able to sign Anthony. That would have put us in a much better position with this years past FA class and we may have been able to get whiteside.

If not for that single decision, in a perfect world we would have had

SF Anthony
PF Griffin
C Whiteside

As our core instead of the 4-5 year rebuild we are part of right now.

That may have been the worst decision seeing the consequences that followed in the history of our organization.

Howard for Griffin was not on the table.
Nothing of value was offered for Howard at the deadline just like it wasn't this off-season when he walked from Houston for nothing. Same with Pau, when he walked from the Bulls for nothing. Or Durant from OKC for nothing. Or the vast majority of vet FAs who walk. Interpreting this as a failure unique to Jim Buss is confirmation bias.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

So do I, but why did it have to take so long? This is kind of like giving Nixon credit for ending the Vietnam War.

LOL - how quickly did you expect an entire rebuild to take place, and what franchise rebuild are you basing that on?
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:

MDA over Phil and it's not even close. That's not just the worst decision in the past 6 years, it's one of the worst decisions in sports history. It's the equivalent of choosing Gerald Green over LeBron James in free agency.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
MDA over Phil and it's not even close. That's not just the worst decision in the past 6 years, it's one of the worst decisions in sports history. It's the equivalent of choosing Gerald Green over LeBron James in free agency.

Do you think Phil wanted to be the coach?
For how long?
What difference would it have made since Nash and Kobe were both injured (unless you want the fantasy to eliminate the injuries that actually occurred)?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

LOL - how quickly did you expect an entire rebuild to take place, and what franchise rebuild are you basing that on?

How about any Lakers rebuild before this.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/complete-history-of-the-nba/#lakers

Last edited by greenfrog on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:

Yep. This and the "veto".
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

The methods utilized in the previous rebuilds are no longer viable options, and the options that are available take more time for every team, not just the Lakers.

I'm not sure what information in the link is relevant to this discussion other than a walk down memory lane that, for me, highlights the changes in the NBA landscape over the years which is actually my point.
The current CBA makes it more difficult for large market teams like the Lakers to rebuild. Despite that, the Lakers have done a great job and have completely overhauled their entire franchise - players, coaches, training staff, analytics and training facilities as much as any team in the NBA. And they have done it in a short amount of time in comparison to everything except their own remarkable past during a much simpler time.
eznoh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:

That
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Obviously it's been a smorgasbord of errors and snafus, some self-inflicted, some out of the FO's control. But it's great to see that we have completely overhauled the team. The slate is clean.

Now the question is will this particular crop yield an upward trend that leads to a 'chip or two. I suspect that we still have a lot more maneuvering and a long, long way to go. However with no lofty expectations, finally, the future is bright.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

The methods utilized in the previous rebuilds are no longer viable options, and the options that are available take more time for every team, not just the Lakers.

I'm not sure what information in the link is relevant to this discussion other than a walk down memory lane that, for me, highlights the changes in the NBA landscape over the years which is actually my point.
The current CBA makes it more difficult for large market teams like the Lakers to rebuild. Despite that, the Lakers have done a great job and have completely overhauled their entire franchise - players, coaches, training staff, analytics and training facilities as much as any team in the NBA. And they have done it in a short amount of time in comparison to everything except their own remarkable past during a much simpler time.

If 2011 and "big market" are the conditions you want to set to your question, the Celtics and Heat then would be examples.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10
Jump to: