Laker Film Room: How Jose Calderon Fits In w/the Lakers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Laker Film Room: How Jose Calderon Fits In w/the Lakers

LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Cool, Thanks!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Thanks GT.

Good to have a decent back up PG for a change.

Farmar/Bagel/Price/ and others didn't get the job done and were to inconsistent.

Calderon is gonna bring a lot of IQ to the roster, very smart and knows how to read defenses.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Seems like the Lakers got players this off-season who sets decent to good screens, very key with this type of offense. Also, Calderon is a much better back up player than Marcelo
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject:

I hope we never see a lineup with both Calderon and Huertas in the backcourt.

I expect to see a lot of DLO and Calderon on the court. We will finally get to see Russell's ability to hit shots off screens and curls.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject:

paolomagma wrote:
I hope we never see a lineup with both Calderon and Huertas in the backcourt.

I expect to see a lot of DLO and Calderon on the court. We will finally get to see Russell's ability to hit shots off screens and curls.

That brought back memories of his game against Virginia Tech in the tournament when Russell was at Ohio State; I remember him working mostly off-balance that game and being very successful. I hope we do see more of that this season...
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject:

GT stepping up his foreign name pronunciation game
Great vid, confirms what we all know about his game really, besides the screening part lol. Seems like a better option all around than Huertas. Though is it possible that Calderon is an even worse defender than Huertas? Maybe.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Nice piece for Luke to work with. Thanks again GT
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Calderon's shooting abilities will be so awesome compared to Huertas who was literally scared to shoot most of the time.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
GT stepping up his foreign name pronunciation game
Great vid, confirms what we all know about his game really, besides the screening part lol. Seems like a better option all around than Huertas. Though is it possible that Calderon is an even worse defender than Huertas? Maybe.

I did that entirely for you, tox.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject:

How much footage do you watch for the videos?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
How much footage do you watch for the videos?

Usually 5 games. Had to do 8 or 9 games for Mozgov because of his mpg.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Between Calderon and Mozgov, I'm hoping DLO learns the lob game.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject:

You think Calderon might see some partial time at the SG spot.. GT?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
You think Calderon might see some partial time at the SG spot.. GT?

I think that he's the ideal candidate (on our roster) to put next to Russell if you want Russell to play SG. Calderon's strictly a PG, especially defensively, but can play both on and off of the ball on offense.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject:

The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Good video. Your comments on his defense though are the exact reservation I have towards playing Lou and Calderon together. Both undersized defenders, I hated when Lou would have to check bigger two guards last year, and I feel like with those two together in the backcourt, you're giving up a lot defensively.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Good video. Your comments on his defense though are the exact reservation I have towards playing Lou and Calderon together. Both undersized defenders, I hated when Lou would have to check bigger two guards last year, and I feel like with those two together in the backcourt, you're giving up a lot defensively.

ya i agree, i dont like that combo at all.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:

Yeah, that's a brutal combo.

We have 5 guards and the best defender is D'Angelo Russell. Think about that for a second.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
The Logo wrote:

We have 5 guards and the best defender is D'Angelo Russell. Think about that for a second.

Wondering if there's a way we can stagger Lou's and Calderon's minutes somehow. Either that, we play both together, or one of them (most likely Calderon) is going to be the odd man out. I remember last year how Lou would get bodied up a lot whenever a guard was in the post against him. If you can somehow play Calderon/Clarkson and Russell/Lou or vice versa, that'd be ideal in my opinion because Russell/JC can check the bigger guard, but I dunno how that'd work.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject:

I always look forward to your vids. Thanks!
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Wondering if there's a way we can stagger Lou's and Calderon's minutes somehow. Either that, we play both together, or one of them (most likely Calderon) is going to be the odd man out. I remember last year how Lou would get bodied up a lot whenever a guard was in the post against him. If you can somehow play Calderon/Clarkson and Russell/Lou or vice versa, that'd be ideal in my opinion because Russell/JC can check the bigger guard, but I dunno how that'd work.

Between a new coach and a somewhat strange roster composition, I've never been more unsure about what the rotation is going to look like. Defensively, the options in the back court are bad & worse. You might be able to get away with Calderon & Lou together against teams that have a spot up shooter that you can stick Calderon on while Lou defends PG, but there are no good options here. Really curious to see what Luke does.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Between a new coach and a somewhat strange roster composition, I've never been more unsure about what the rotation is going to look like. Defensively, the options in the back court are bad & worse. You might be able to get away with Calderon & Lou together against teams that have a spot up shooter that you can stick Calderon on while Lou defends PG, but there are no good options here. Really curious to see what Luke does.

There's definitely a value that Calderon brings as a playmaker/spot up shooter/leader, but he's just too big of a liability to play with Lou defensively. I'm really hoping that Brown gets confidence in his shot and knocks it down at an effective clip. Even if he were to just post at a league average clip, I'd be fine with that and would be willing to play him over Calderon and have Lou handle the ball, with Ingram occasionally handling whenever Lou is off ball. That way, you have three plus defenders in your bench unit, with Brown, Ingram, and Nance.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Video not available
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

There's definitely a value that Calderon brings as a playmaker/spot up shooter/leader, but he's just too big of a liability to play with Lou defensively. I'm really hoping that Brown gets confidence in his shot and knocks it down at an effective clip. Even if he were to just post at a league average clip, I'd be fine with that and would be willing to play him over Calderon and have Lou handle the ball, with Ingram occasionally handling whenever Lou is off ball. That way, you have three plus defenders in your bench unit, with Brown, Ingram, and Nance.

I wouldn't be opposed to that. Brown having at least one reliable offensive skill would be huge. My biggest concern with his jumper is the speed of his release. I think it's on the slow side & I think his accuracy dropped from college because he has a hard time getting his shot off in the amount of time available in the NBA. Obviously Byron didn't do him or any other spot up shooters any favors, but I'm concerned.

I don't think Calderon should be guaranteed a rotation spot either, and I'd be in favor of a 4-6 minute shift from Brown each half if he can not crap the bed offensively.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: