Laker Film Room: How Jose Calderon Fits In w/the Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Its great we actually have 3 legit playmakers at point guard. But mozgov and zubac gonna have alot of work protecting that rim
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
DCarter, LA tried to move Hibbert and Bass to playoff contenders at the deadline last year. The relative interest was limited and the size of Hibbert's deal and Bass' option year prevented any real movement. Calderon fills more of a need as a backup who can run an offense and shoot who's deal is expiring and small enough to move. I'd say if he plays at least to his level the last couple years and LA doesn't decide he could fit beyond this season, a deal for some modest assets is very possible.

Yi might be an exception, as the way the Lakers structured his contract, he clearly is a trade asset.

Hibbert didn't have any value (if we did try to move him). I'm sure we could have got a protected 2nd round draft pick for Bass even with his PO from a contender. So that's Bass, Meeks, Gasol, Hill (Had a NTC), Ellington, off the top of my head, all made sense to sell but we held on to them.

I agree Yi could end up being a salary chip in a deal, especially if it's in conjunction with one of our young players for a difference maker.

LA did try to deal Bass, Hibbert, Gasol and Young. I expect they were interested in retaining Meeks but Detroit priced him out so they retained Young instead (snake eyes for both teams). Hill had a no trade clause and a substance problem. Calderon plays a position of need around the league (second only to wing) . He can net something deadline.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
zePokar wrote:
He's basically kinda like 40yo Steve Nash.

Minus the back strains and spasms.

Hopefully.

Good vid GT, good work.

Calderon is much more dependable, I know Nash was decent in his previous year with Phoenix when we got him.. Also Calderon actually tries on defense as oppose to Nash.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Good video. Your comments on his defense though are the exact reservation I have towards playing Lou and Calderon together. Both undersized defenders, I hated when Lou would have to check bigger two guards last year, and I feel like with those two together in the backcourt, you're giving up a lot defensively.

Yeah, that's a brutal combo.

We have 5 guards and the best defender is D'Angelo Russell. Think about that for a second.

This is why I advocate for Brown to play some spot minutes at SG when defense is needed.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Good video. Your comments on his defense though are the exact reservation I have towards playing Lou and Calderon together. Both undersized defenders, I hated when Lou would have to check bigger two guards last year, and I feel like with those two together in the backcourt, you're giving up a lot defensively.

Yeah, that's a brutal combo.

We have 5 guards and the best defender is D'Angelo Russell. Think about that for a second.

This is why I advocate for Brown to play some spot minutes at SG when defense is needed.

Or maybe just maybe, we should look to get a defensive guard.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
tox wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
tox wrote:
GT stepping up his foreign name pronunciation game
Great vid, confirms what we all know about his game really, besides the screening part lol. Seems like a better option all around than Huertas. Though is it possible that Calderon is an even worse defender than Huertas? Maybe.

I did that entirely for you, tox.

Heh, I had a feeling that was the case. I was pretty impressed in how well you said it, honestly. Down to the accent and the rolled r.

I'm half Puerto Rican & have known plenty of Jose's & Calderon's. Manu's or Ginobili's? Not so much. I even did research on how to properly say Yi Jianlian's name before making his video because you busted my balls about Manu.

Much appreciated. The Puerto Rican half explains it, although I'm surprised that side of you didn't kick in when you read Manu's name. Is it not a Spanish name, short for Emanuel? Fair point on his last name though. I don't even know if it's derived from Spanish or Italian or what.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
tox wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
tox wrote:
Great vid, confirms what we all know about his game really, besides the screening part lol. Seems like a better option all around than Huertas. Though is it possible that Calderon is an even worse defender than Huertas? Maybe.

I did that entirely for you, tox.

Heh, I had a feeling that was the case. I was pretty impressed in how well you said it, honestly. Down to the accent and the rolled r.

I'm half Puerto Rican & have known plenty of Jose's & Calderon's. Manu's or Ginobili's? Not so much. I even did research on how to properly say Yi Jianlian's name before making his video because you busted my balls about Manu.

Much appreciated. The Puerto Rican half explains it, although I'm surprised that side of you didn't kick in when you read Manu's name. Is it not a Spanish name, short for Emanuel? Fair point on his last name though. I don't even know if it's derived from Spanish or Italian or what.

The couple of Emanuel's that I've known have gone by either that or Manny. And I'm very Americanized as it is. lol
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

A player who does what Brown is supposed to be good at is the team's biggest roster need. The team needs a lot of coaching but getting average but consistent play from AB would really be a difference maker.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
defense wrote:

A player who does what Brown is supposed to be good at is the team's biggest roster need. The team needs a lot of coaching but getting average but consistent play from AB would really be a difference maker.

Agreed w/both of you.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
defense wrote:

A creator/ball mover like Calderon may work well with a spot up guy (who can't hit spot up shots ) like Brown.

But am I the only who gets the feeling that maybe Calderon's stay with the Lakers is a pit stop?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject:

Thanks GT - good preview of what we can expect from Calderon. Good but cautious playmaker, great spot-up shooter, but the lack of lateral quickness on defense scares me. In fact, all guards other than DLO scare me on defense. Not that DLO's stellar, he's just the only one who's not flat out bad. Russell's going to be out there a lot I think.

Let's hope Brown develops a shot, or hope Clarkson somehow improves his defense, because I can't picture pinning any hope on Wiliams, Calderon or Huertas on that side of the ball.

Here's an argument for having Ingram back up the 2 position, perhaps?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject:

If I had the confidence in Nance/Ingram/Calderon to hold down the second unit, I would a lot more in favor of trading Lou. Brown taking Lou's spot in the rotation would help balance things out a lot. If DLo and JC both are playing about 34MPG, it will only leave about 28MPG off the bench for guards. Calderon at 12-14MPG would only leave Lou at about 14-16MPG (assuming no Ingram at SG). Would he be happy in that role?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject:

Lou's size really leaves the team at a major disadvantage, and he isn't a PG by any means either on the offensive side.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject:

I think our bench is actually going to be pretty good this year - I can see us getting behind, and facing second units, our bench erasing 6-10 points off a lead and teams having to re-insert starters early, to slow the momentum.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
I think our bench is actually going to be pretty good this year - I can see us getting behind, and facing second units, our bench erasing 6-10 points off a lead and teams having to re-insert starters early, to slow the momentum.

Biggest issue to address is the guard play off the bench, we need someone to play defense, hopefully someone steps in and plays that role.

But we do have offensive firepower.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

reminds me of this SNL sketch
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lou's size really leaves the team at a major disadvantage, and he isn't a PG by any means either on the offensive side.

Yup, Lou is 6'1 and Calderon is 6'3. Personally, I'd experiment with trying to put Calderon on 2's, but if GT's assessment is an indication, he'll just be bullied like Lou was. I remember last year when Danny Green would bully Lou in the post
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yup, Lou is 6'1 and Calderon is 6'3. Personally, I'd experiment with trying to put Calderon on 2's, but if GT's assessment is an indication, he'll just be bullied like Lou was. I remember last year when Danny Green would bully Lou in the post

If Lou is someone the team will keep down the road, it's important to get a tall "PG" ala Shaun Livingston (that's how Barbosa flourished) or MCW (RFA next year, not eager to trade any assets for him).
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject:

y
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Logo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

If Lou is someone the team will keep down the road, it's important to get a tall "PG" ala Shaun Livingston (that's how Barbosa flourished) or MCW (RFA next year, not eager to trade any assets for him).

I'm just hoping that Brown becomes an average three point shooter so we can have another spot up shooter/defender. Someone who can play off the ball is important next to Lou as well on the wing
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
y
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Logo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm just hoping that Brown becomes an average three point shooter so we can have another spot up shooter/defender. Someone who can play off the ball is important next to Lou as well on the wing

I believe in AB3! He will play much better with more consistent PT and within Luke's system.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Logo wrote:
y
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Logo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I believe in AB3! He will play much better with more consistent PT and within Luke's system.

I hope so. We could use that 3/D with his size. But those clanks over SPL earned him the 1st ever Harrison Barnes, "Cavs MVP" award.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Logo wrote:
y
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Logo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

He has potential just needs to work hard.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Logo wrote:
y
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Logo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I hope so. We could use that 3/D with his size. But those clanks over SPL earned him the 1st ever Harrison Barnes, "Cavs MVP" award.

I am hoping his SPL stats are just a Byron hangover.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Logo wrote:
y
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Logo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Not sure. DLO/Nance Jr. quickly snapped out of the Byron hangover, and DLO is much younger than Brown.

I just hope he simplifies his game and doesn't try to do more than he's capable of doing.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Logo wrote:
y
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Logo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It could be rust, i have a sense he's gonna contribute rather its offensively or defensively.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: