Luke Walton praises young core and veterans for dedication to work on their weaknesses
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Luke Walton praises young core and veterans for dedication to work on their weaknesses

Quote:
Players showing their seriousness to work on weaknesses as camp rolls around

Walton also praised ongoing efforts from Randle and Larry Nance Jr. in developing their jump shots. Walton expressed optimism for Jordan Clarkson to become an elite defender. And Walton reported other positive developments: second-year forward Anthony Brown has often won 3-point shooting contests in practice; rookie center Ivica Zubac has developed a skyhook; veteran forward Nick Young has lost about 20 pounds; veteran guard Lou Williams has demonstrated a playmaking presence.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-young-core-works-on-weaknesses-ivica-zubac-bringing-back-sky-hook/2016/09/18/

THIS IS WONDERFUL NEWS!!! Good to hear Randle and Nance getting praise for working on their jumper, the most surprising is Young losing 20 pounds.

Good news all around tbh.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Yes, in this day and age youngsters respond better with reinforcement instead of negativity. I took a positive coaching alliance course a few years ago and Luke seems to be a disciple of that influence as well. Beats Byron and his 1970's coaching philosophy.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Luke Walton praises young core and veterans for dedication to work on their weaknesses

MJST wrote:
Quote:

Walton also praised ongoing efforts from Randle and Larry Nance Jr. in developing their jump shots. Walton expressed optimism for Jordan Clarkson to become an elite defender. And Walton reported other positive developments: second-year forward Anthony Brown has often won 3-point shooting contests in practice; rookie center Ivica Zubac has developed a skyhook; veteran forward Nick Young has lost about 20 pounds; veteran guard Lou Williams has demonstrated a playmaking presence.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-young-core-works-on-weaknesses-ivica-zubac-bringing-back-sky-hook/2016/09/18/

THIS IS WONDERFUL NEWS!!! Good to hear Randle and Nance getting praise for working on their jumper, the most surprising is Young losing 20 pounds.

Don't want to sound like a homer, but it seems like the Lakers have been the only ones who have been putting in that extra work then most teams during the off-season, could this year be a Lakers Cinderella story?
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject:

young lost 20pounds? good to see

Lou with play making abilities would be good
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject:

I know we want to be positive, but everything I'm hearing it a little too happy lol. I'm ready for pre-season so we can calm down.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
I know we want to be positive, but everything I'm hearing it a little too happy lol. I'm ready for pre-season so we can calm down.

That's every training camp. The first month of the season will be a good test.

It would be nice to have the Nick we had under MDA back, but that would make Lou even more redundant.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
We must be listening to different sources. All I hear is that no matter how much the players have improved, they're still going to come in last place and win only a few more games than last season.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

Maybe Nick is staying after all.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

I'm guessing with good behavior and good attitude, he'll be here, at least until they find out if he fits into Luke's system.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

If Young is letting the incident be by gones... Then we should let the guy prove himself as a Laker.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject:

I'm very excited for the season to start.
Love Luke, the new staff and the new culture being built.
Kobe's gone. Byron is gone. We may not be a playoff contender, but the new direction feels awesome.

The only thing that would put a damper on it would be if Nick Young is back. I don't care how much weight he lost or what kind of offense spark he might bring - he no longer has a place in this new culture.

The most un-watchable era of Lakers' bball is over.
Jordan Hill
Carlos Boozer
Ronnie Price
Wes Johnson
MWP
Sacre
Kelly
Hibbert
Bass
Meeks
Ellington

Nick Young's name goes at the top of that list.
Next week, I don't want that dude anywhere near Santa Barbara.

He can hang in Ventura, but he gets no closer than that.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
Kobe's gone. Byron is gone. We may not be a playoff contender, but the new direction feels awesome.

The only thing that would put a damper on it would be if Nick Young is back. I don't care how much weight he lost or what kind of offense spark he might bring - he no longer has a place in this new culture.

Jordan Hill
Carlos Boozer
Ronnie Price
Wes Johnson
MWP
Sacre
Kelly
Hibbert
Bass
Meeks
Ellington

Nah. Chris Duhon spacing the offense with his low % 35 ft shots was hard to watch and should be at the top of the list. Also, don't forget Kendall Marshall and Linsanity.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject:

Ahhh, Duhon and Kendall Marshall. How could I forget. Good catch.

I actually think Lin would fit in very well now.
(So would Ed Davis and Kent Bazemore)
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes, in this day and age youngsters respond better with reinforcement instead of negativity. I took a positive coaching alliance course a few years ago and Luke seems to be a disciple of that influence as well. Beats Byron and his 1970's coaching philosophy.

I don't know how many of you watch international volleyball.

Brazilian Men team has one of the most winning coaches ever, called Bernardo Rezende (or "Bernardinho"). He's been Brazilian Men coach since 2001: in 4 Olympic Games he's got 2 golden and 2 silver medals; in 4 World Cups, he won 3 and was runner-up in the latest.

He was always known for his crazy behavior by the court, screaming, cursing, almost on the edge of a nervous breakdown. This past Olympics, he was much more sober, speaking lower and calm. What he said about it after the final match: "When I shouted at the past generation, they felt stimulated to prove me they could make it. Not this team; if I pass them all this tension, they absorb it, get nervous and don't respond well".
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Luke Walton praises young core and veterans for dedication to work on their weaknesses

MJST wrote:
Quote:

Those 20 pounds could be from stress
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
B_P wrote:

Jordan Hill
Carlos Boozer
Ronnie Price
Wes Johnson
MWP
Sacre
Kelly
Hibbert
Bass
Meeks
Ellington

Nah. Chris Duhon spacing the offense with his low % 35 ft shots was hard to watch and should be at the top of the list. Also, don't forget Kendall Marshall and Linsanity.

Kendall Marshall was a perfect fit in the D'Antoni offense and would be a perfect playmaker off the bench for us. He actually was 2nd in the NBA in assists per game that season with us, behind only CP3. Underrated as heck when in the right system.

And Linsanity should be a backup 6th man and likely would have stayed if not for Byron's idiocy and having no clue how to utilize him properly because he went to Charlotte for the exact same role he'd have had here.

His fans were annoying but he would have been a solid 6th man scoring pg. In this new offense especially.

Also Meeks had likely the best year of his career with us in it.

So all and all we've had a lot of guys come and go that would fit perfectly with us right now in this "new direction".
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject:

It's all falling into place just need some more time and patience
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Luke Walton praises young core and veterans for dedication to work on their weaknesses

MJST wrote:
Quote:

That's quite a list:

Nance has an outside shot
Randle has an outside shot
Clarkson is an elite defender
Anthony Brown is a great 3 point shooter
Zubac has a skyhook
Lou Williams is a playmaker

Sounds like Luke likes getting fans fired up. If this is all true I'd be really excited, but this list is a bit too good for me to believe without watching them play for a few weeks. Particularly Clarkson becoming an elite defender. Wow would that change things, if only. I will say I'm happy each of these players are working hard at these aspects of their game.

Still I'd be equally or more fired up if I found out they all understand the game, the playbook, can read and react well and in a coordinated manner, and are solid on all fundamentals like weakside motion, reading defenses, communicating and setting picks.

Maybe by the end of this season, perhaps?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Luke Walton praises young core and veterans for dedication to work on their weaknesses

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
MJST wrote:
Quote:

That's quite a list:

Nance has an outside shot
Randle has an outside shot
Clarkson is an elite defender
Anthony Brown is a great 3 point shooter
Zubac has a skyhook
Lou Williams is a playmaker

Sounds like Luke likes getting fans fired up. If this is all true I'd be really excited, but this list is a bit too good for me to believe without watching them play for a few weeks. Particularly Clarkson becoming an elite defender. Wow would that change things, if only. I will say I'm happy each of these players are working hard at these aspects of their game.

Still I'd be equally or more fired up if I found out they all understand the game, the playbook, can read and react well and in a coordinated manner, and are solid on all fundamentals like weakside motion, reading defenses, communicating and setting picks.

Luke is 1 guy who likes keeping things real, when you see him speak, you can see how honest he is, if the players are fulfilling there talents, I think most of it is true on the players, these guys have been working in the gym since the season ended particularly Randle and Clarkson.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject:

If Nick Young is in shape, focused and has moved past the drama, I'm good with him sticking around. Let's not forget that this guy can be a knock down shooter from distance in a decent NBA offense. I'm not sure if we'll have minutes for him with Deng and Ingram on the team, though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
If Nick Young is in shape, focused and has moved past the drama, I'm good with him sticking around. Let's not forget that this guy can be a knock down shooter from distance in a decent NBA offense. I'm not sure if we'll have minutes for him with Deng and Ingram on the team, though.

It's what he does with all that idle time sitting on the bench, on the road, etc. that concern me.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject:

Working on your game and actually having the ability to execute are two different things. News that JC is working on his strength and quickness to become a better defender is encouraging. But playing defense is more of a mental commitment than a physical one.

LNJ already has a pretty sweet spot up jump shot. Randle, for me, has the most to prove. Not a huge fan yet of his game. Last year he often looked out of control and defensively he was suspect. I like Larry's game better - his ability to spread the floor - & attack the basket - but that's just me.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
Working on your game and actually having the ability to execute are two different things. News that JC is working on his strength and quickness to become a better defender is encouraging. But playing defense is more of a mental commitment than a physical one.

LNJ already has a pretty sweet spot up jump shot. Randle, for me, has the most to prove. Not a huge fan yet of his game. Last year he often looked out of control and defensively he was suspect. I like Larry's game better - his ability to spread the floor - & attack the basket - but that's just me.

I think Clarkson will turn into a somewhat decent defensive player, he's been working in the gym since the season ended and we know he's gonna bring a new arsenal in his game, I won't be surprised if he wins MIP.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KBH wrote:

It's what he does with all that idle time sitting on the bench, on the road, etc. that concern me.

That concerns me as well. But I think with everything that happened last year, our youngsters will be smarter about putting themselves in situations where they could create a stir. They get they're under microscopes.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Luke Walton praises young core and veterans for dedication to work on their weaknesses

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
[

He's succeeding as far as I'm concerned. The players have talked about an environment where they're excited to come in and work and it sounds like they're doing their part. We've had veteran teams for so long, I can't remember the last time we had players were working this hard so early in the off-season. Even the vets are starting early instead of waiting until the start of training camp. Now their bodies won't be in shock when they have to ramp up their activity level at the start of camp.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: