Tulsa police shoot and kill black man who had his hands up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
So... there's one rioter in Charlotte that has died after being shot by a police officer.

...and then there's other rioters doing stuff like this...
https://twitter.com/WCCBCharlotte/status/778788105469960192/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Trying to throw an unconscious reporter into a fire. what the heck?

What's worse? Throwing a unconscious reporter into a fire or hanging a Black man, cutting out his tongue, cutting off his testicles, fingers, ears and other body parts for souvenirs?

What does the first instance have to do with the second?

I gleaned from the first that Blacks were throwing a reporter into a fire. That's why I fashioned the analogy.

This doesn't make sense.

I've been accused of being random. The emotion is not directed at you RF, it's meant for the accuser.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:19 am; edited 2 times in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
So... there's one rioter in Charlotte that has died after being shot by a police officer.

https://twitter.com/WCCBCharlotte/status/778788105469960192/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

What's worse? Throwing a unconscious reporter into a fire or hanging a Black man, cutting out his tongue, cutting off his testicles, fingers, ears and other body parts for souvenirs?

I gleaned from the first that Blacks were throwing a reporter into a fire. That's why I fashioned the analogy.

Your analogy sucks and it makes it sound like you are justifying the violence of throwing the reporter into a fire....BTW, repeating the same argument doesn't help your case.

Sucks?? Your response sucks. It's lacks cordiality and gives an impression of one who doesn't wish to be civil. It doesn't lend to forging a civil debate.

I'm not justifying anything, that's your interpretation not my intent.

What have I repeated? What case am I trying to help?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

Once again a man provokes a police officer and disregards commands and pays the price for it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/mic/status/778975345332592640

backpedal game on prime deion sanders
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Once again a man provokes a police officer and disregards commands and pays the price for it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Provokes? I don't think it was intentional. Do you think Crutcher should have paid the price of his life?

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

Your analogy sucks and it makes it sound like you are justifying the violence of throwing the reporter into a fire....BTW, repeating the same argument doesn't help your case.

Sucks?? Your response sucks. It's lacks cordiality and gives an impression of one who doesn't wish to be civil. It doesn't lend to forging a civil debate.

What is civil about arguing that the person deserved it...an eye for an eye....your fashioning of the argument makes it sound like it was justified. That was my reason why it think that analogy "sucks".
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:

Looks like guilt to me

The videos shouldn't belong to the police department anyhow..
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

What is civil about arguing that the person deserved it...an eye for an eye....

your fashioning of the argument makes it sound like it was justified.

That was my reason why it think that analogy "sucks".

Who deserved what? Where did I indicate anyone deserved anything? How did you glean an eye for an eye?

Again make it sound justified is your interpretation not my intent.

The accepting or not my analogy is your right. It doesn't change my intent.

I concede to being overly sensitive. I take verbiage literally maybe little to literally.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:41 am; edited 2 times in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:

Quote:
Charlotte Police Chief on not releasing the #KeithLamontScott video: "I never said full transparency. I said transparency."

WOW!!! Now I really wonder if it was a book?!

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Provokes? I don't think it was intentional. Do you think Crutcher should have paid the price of his life?

Yeah. Can't have it both ways. Officer Shelby states that she thought it was likely that Mr Crutcher was under the influence of PCP. If that's the case, he would not be in a position to comply with anything because he would hav been under the control of a mind altering substance. Shooting him for non-compliance whilst he was under the influence would be no different than shooting a dog because it didn't obey your command to sit. It's the whole point of why we don't allow people to drive under the influence. Because they aren't in normalised control of their faculties.

2 Officers identified the situation correctly. The officer in the helicopter observing said a Tazer should be deployed in the situation he was witnessing. The 2nd officer on the ground retrieved and deployed his tazer correctly. Officer Shelby, who had already drawn her gun instead of a taser prior to any escalation, instead chose lethal force. It's a bad shoot. She over responded to the current level of perceived threat.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
anpherknee wrote:

Quote:
Charlotte Police Chief on not releasing the #KeithLamontScott video: "I never said full transparency. I said transparency."

I'm going out on a limb and declaring that he did have a gun, but that it was in no way brandished. Instincts tell me that the Officer saw a gun, and freaked out by it's mere presence. Time will tell how well my instincts are honed in or not. But my gut tells me that's why the chief is walking it back at this point. There is likely a video that proves that the gun was never brandished in a menacing manner and was simply present. The 4th circuit has clearly declared that that is not an ample reason to even stop and frisk a citizen, let alone shoot them.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Yeah. Can't have it both ways. Officer Shelby states that she thought it was likely that Mr Crutcher was under the influence of PCP. If that's the case, he would not be in a position to comply with anything because he would hav been under the control of a mind altering substance. Shooting him for non-compliance whilst he was under the influence would be no different than shooting a dog because it didn't obey your command to sit. It's the whole point of why we don't allow people to drive under the influence. Because they aren't in normalised control of their faculties.

2 Officers identified the situation correctly. The officer in the helicopter observing said a Tazer should be deployed in the situation he was witnessing. The 2nd officer on the ground retrieved and deployed his tazer correctly. Officer Shelby, who had already drawn her gun instead of a taser prior to any escalation, instead chose lethal force. It's a bad shoot. She over responded to the current level of perceived threat.

Curious.. was her statement about pcp or mind altering drug said during the altercation or after she was told about his past criminal history?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Curious.. was her statement about pcp or mind altering drug said during the altercation or after she was told about his past criminal history?

She gave the statement of her assessment to the investigating detective after the shooting. She indicated that due to her training, it was her perception that the victim was under the influence, and it was likely pcp. So her assessment was based on her training, not anything gleaned after the fact. And that assessment is consistent with her other testimony, so it seems credible.

That said, even with her correct assessment, she still overdeployed countermeasures based on the current level of threat. Like the officer in the helicopter suggested, and the other officer acted - the situation called for a taser, not a gun. It's a bad shoot.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:

Looks like guilt to me

The videos belong to the City, not the police department. If they are not released, it is likely a decision by the City attorney.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:
anpherknee wrote:

Quote:

I'm going out on a limb and declaring that he did have a gun, but that it was in no way brandished. Instincts tell me that the Officer saw a gun, and freaked out by it's mere presence. Time will tell how well my instincts are honed in or not. But my gut tells me that's why the chief is walking it back at this point. There is likely a video that proves that the gun was never brandished in a menacing manner and was simply present. The 4th circuit has clearly declared that that is not an ample reason to even stop and frisk a citizen, let alone shoot them.

Could be Aussie.IIRC witnesses said there was a gun found at the scene.

I'll go out on the limb of conjecture. Does the video show a gun being planted?

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:
anpherknee wrote:

Quote:

Could be Aussie.IIRC witnesses said there was a gun found at the scene.

I'll go out on the limb of conjecture. Does the video show a gun being planted?

I sincerely doubt it in this instance. To me, everything is pointing towards an officer freaking out simply due to the presences of a gun. In their official narrative, the police say that after Officer Vinson jumped out of the blue pickup, while on his way to serve a warrant, he noticed the victim get out of his car holding a gun, then get back in his vehicle. He then broke off his advance towards serving the arrest warrant and instead bum rushed the victims vehicle. What happens after that point is subject to conflicting stories. So presumably, he already knew the victim had a gun. But the 4th circuit has clearly declared that that is NOT sufficient reason to approach a citizen. The simple presence of a gun should not have altered Officer Vinsons pursuit of his service of an arrest warrant to another individual in any way. The police would have to present evidence that the victim was brandishing the gun in some menacing fashion. If he simply got out of his vehicle with a gun at his side when he saw what appeared to be hoodlums running into the apartment complex, then he realised they might be un-uniformed police so he got back in his truck (my personal suspicion of how this all went down) then the police have absolutely no reason to break off their serving of that arrest warrant and instead focus attention on the victim as the victim was doing nothing wrong in the state of North Carolina.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

It's not an analogy, it's more of a non-sequitur compulsion.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

It's not an analogy, it's more of a non-sequitur compulsion.

In that respect I answer you as I did RF. I've been accused of being random.(Insert emotion)

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
anpherknee wrote:

Looks like guilt to me

The videos belong to the City, not the police department. If they are not released, it is likely a decision by the City attorney.

Love that selective transparency.....
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

She gave the statement of her assessment to the investigating detective after the shooting. She indicated that due to her training, it was her perception that the victim was under the influence, and it was likely pcp. So her assessment was based on her training, not anything gleaned after the fact. And that assessment is consistent with her other testimony, so it seems credible.

That said, even with her correct assessment, she still overdeployed countermeasures based on the current level of threat. Like the officer in the helicopter suggested, and the other officer acted - the situation called for a taser, not a gun. It's a bad shoot.

Still seems possible a fellow officer may have immediately ID'd the victim and gave his team some ammo before the investigation began.. maybe a reach
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

I worked security long ago. I've seen people on PCP who exhibited extraordinary strength.

Having said that, there were enough officers on scene to subdue the victim.

If in fact Crutcher was high on PCP a taser may not have stopped him. In this case it put him on the ground. I rule out PCP.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Maybe a manslaughter conviction will give people hope of justice.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject:

I would like to know what her credentials were in assessing whether someone was on drugs. I couldn't help notice that her lawyer called her an expert, but refrained from stating why or how she was an expert.

To me, this sounds like another cop trying to portray the victim as someone dangerous. It had all the key elements:

1) "He had his hands in his pockets." Wow, this is compelling. FYI, unless your pants are very, very baggy (and you're wearing a tight belt) you can see the outline and weight of something like a handgun. He was unarmed.

2) "He looked like he was on drugs. In fact I'm an expert." A slight twist on an old time favorite justification. She says she's an expert. I'll wait for the toxicology report, but I'm dubious as to the excuse and the existence of her expertise.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Maybe a manslaughter conviction will give people hope of justice.

Quote:
Betty Shelby, the Tulsa Police Department officer who shot and killed Terence Crutcher, is being charged with first-degree manslaughter in the case, Tulsa County District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler says.

Kunzweiler announced the charge Thursday afternoon, six days after Crutcher died in a controversial encounter that was captured on video by a police helicopter camera and dashboard cameras.

Tulsa, Okla., police officer Betty Shelby, seen here in an undated official photo, is being charged with first-degree manslaughter in the death of Terence Crutcher.
AP

"A warrant has been issued for her arrest," and arrangements are being made with Shelby's attorney for Shelby's surrender, Kunzweiler said in announcing the felony charge (see video from local TV news KJRH). He said he had instructed his staff to file charges against Shelby at the start of today's brief news conference.

Officer Shelby Charged With Manslaughter

I don't think she'll be able to jump over the hurdle that 2 other officers identified that a Tazer should be deployed, and yet she went for lethal force from the start, even though there were no aggressive acts. I think there will be another successful conviction coming out of Tulsa, a community that just sentenced an 84 year old part time officer to 4 years for manslaughter.

In Oklahoma, 1st degree manslaughter is punishable by a minimum of 4 years, maximum of life.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I would like to know what her credentials were in assessing whether someone was on drugs. I couldn't help notice that her lawyer called her an expert, but refrained from stating why or how she was an expert.

To me, this sounds like another cop trying to portray the victim as someone dangerous. It had all the key elements:

1) "He had his hands in his pockets." Wow, this is compelling. FYI, unless your pants are very, very baggy (and you're wearing a tight belt) you can see the outline and weight of something like a handgun. He was unarmed.

2) "He looked like he was on drugs. In fact I'm an expert." A slight twist on an old time favorite justification. She says she's an expert. I'll wait for the toxicology report, but I'm dubious as to the excuse and the existence of her expertise.

Officers are often trained to look for signs of intoxication (drug or alcohol), but it is often common for officers to backfill drugs found afterward with "expertise" telling them the drug was present, usually as a method of creating probable cause.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: