Tulsa police shoot and kill black man who had his hands up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Tulsa police officer Betty Shelby pleaded not guilty Friday to a charge of first-degree manslaughter in the killing of Terence Crutcher, an unarmed black man.

Looking anxious, Shelby 42, spoke only once with a "yes" in the brief arraignment to confirm her identity. Her attorney entered the not guilty plea.

The judge set a Nov. 29 date for a preliminary hearing where the court will decide whether there is enough evidence to proceed to trial.

Arraignment
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The attorney for Tulsa Police Officer Betty Shelby said that she had a temporary loss of hearing during the confrontation with Terence Crutcher that prevented her from hearing another officer say that he had his Taser ready.

Attorney Scott Wood said that Shelby had experienced “auditory exclusion,” a phenomenon that sometimes occurs in stressful situations because the person experiencing it is so focused on the critical incident.

Because of this phenomenon, Wood claimed, she did not hear the sirens of the other police car, nor did she hear Officer Tyler Turnbough announce his presence and say that he had his Taser ready.

Officer Claims To have Been Temporarily Deaf & Blind
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject:

The attorney should go full soap opera and insist that it really wasn't Shelby, it was her long lost twin Becky. That makes just as much sense.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A medical examiner has found that an unarmed black man fatally shot by a white Tulsa police officer had the hallucinogenic drug PCP in his system when he died, reports CBS affiliate KOTV.

A toxicology report released by the Oklahoma State Medical Examiner’s Office found Terence Crutcher had 96 nanograms per milliliter of phencyclidine, or PCP, in his bloodstream, according to the Tulsa World. The report said Crutcher had “acute phencyclidine intoxication,”

Toxicology Positive - PCP
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
A medical examiner has found that an unarmed black man fatally shot by a white Tulsa police officer had the hallucinogenic drug PCP in his system when he died, reports CBS affiliate KOTV.

A toxicology report released by the Oklahoma State Medical Examiner’s Office found Terence Crutcher had 96 nanograms per milliliter of phencyclidine, or PCP, in his bloodstream, according to the Tulsa World. The report said Crutcher had “acute phencyclidine intoxication,”

So the officer who was trained to spot the influence of various drugs, who said he looked like he was on PCP, was right? Hmm.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

So the officer who was trained to spot the influence of various drugs, who said he looked like he was on PCP, was right? Hmm.

Even those without training could surmise that he was acting as if he were under the influence.

Quote:
Officer Shelby states that she thought it was likely that Mr Crutcher was under the influence of PCP. If that's the case, he would not be in a position to comply with anything because he would hav been under the control of a mind altering substance. Shooting him for non-compliance whilst he was under the influence would be no different than shooting a dog because it didn't obey your command to sit. It's the whole point of why we don't allow people to drive under the influence. Because they aren't in normalised control of their faculties.

2 Officers identified the situation correctly. The officer in the helicopter observing said a Tazer should be deployed in the situation he was witnessing. The 2nd officer on the ground retrieved and deployed his tazer correctly. Officer Shelby, who had already drawn her gun instead of a taser prior to any escalation, instead chose lethal force. It's a bad shoot. She over responded to the current level of perceived threat.

hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Okay he was high. His hands were still up. He wasn't armed. He was not aggressive towards the cop in any way. But he was inebriated which could impair his ability to follow instructions. Is that how we deal with everyone with impaired cognition, just shoot them?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Okay he was high. His hands were still up. He wasn't armed. He was not aggressive towards the cop in any way. But he was inebriated which could impair his ability to follow instructions. Is that how we deal with everyone with impaired cognition, just shoot them?

And that's what I think ultimately sinks her in court. He exhibited a non aggressive state of mind throughout the entirety of the encounter.

When ordered to remove his hands from his pocket, his brain temporarily understands reality and he immediately removes his hands and raise them - indicating a state of mind willful of compliance. Then the drug he was under the influence of regains control and he drops his hands and reenters an incoherent state. Then upon being again ordered to remove his hands, he again obeys which shows a state of mind of willful compliance. He then starts to walk AWAY from the situation, and he was walking backwards with hands raised when he was shot. At every juncture, the worst he displayed was disobedience, and the Officer correctly surmised that he was likely under the influence (making him incapable of sustained obedience) But at no point in the entire encounter did he display a state of mind prone to aggression. In fact, he did exactly the opposite at every opportunity.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

And that's what I think ultimately sinks her in court. He exhibited a non aggressive state of mind throughout the entirety of the encounter.

When ordered to remove his hands from his pocket, his brain temporarily understands reality and he immediately removes his hands and raise them - indicating a state of mind willful of compliance. Then the drug he was under the influence of regains control and he drops his hands and reenters an incoherent state. Then upon being again ordered to remove his hands, he again obeys which shows a state of mind of willful compliance. He then starts to walk AWAY from the situation, and he was walking backwards with hands raised when he was shot. At every juncture, the worst he displayed was disobedience, and the Officer correctly surmised that he was likely under the influence (making him incapable of sustained obedience) But at no point in the entire encounter did he display a state of mind prone to aggression. In fact, he did exactly the opposite at every opportunity.

That, and the other officers used an acceptable level of force whereas she used deadly force.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Acquitted.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: