OFFICIAL 2017 FREE AGENCY (Lakers sign Bogut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 412, 413, 414 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
tox wrote:
I want a backup 1 who can actually run an offense. None of this early offense garbage that Clarkson and Lou thrived in all season. It's a fundamentally flawed strategy to have the starters and bench running two different systems, and it's why our team died in December when injuries hit.

He doesn't need to be a world beater, but ideally decent shooting, orchestrating the offense, and passable defense would be in the cards. And for cheap. Any undervalued guy in 2017 that fits the bill? @dcarter, this is your time to shine

Throw money at Shaun Livingston or Patty Mills.
I'd rather look for an undervalued guy -- like Seth Curry last year. Similar production for cheaper. I do like Livingston or Mills (especially Mills) and I'd be on board if we didn't have $58M invested in Mozgov, Deng, Clarkson, and Randle (cap hold) in 2018.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
tox wrote:
I want a backup 1 who can actually run an offense. None of this early offense garbage that Clarkson and Lou thrived in all season. It's a fundamentally flawed strategy to have the starters and bench running two different systems, and it's why our team died in December when injuries hit.

He doesn't need to be a world beater, but ideally decent shooting, orchestrating the offense, and passable defense would be in the cards. And for cheap. Any undervalued guy in 2017 that fits the bill? @dcarter, this is your time to shine

Patty Mills?

28, currently enjoying his best season.

Great 3 pt shooter, can play PG, Effort is there every night.

The problem is probably have to overpay. I'm thinking something like 4 yrs 48mill

Yeah, Patty is a great choice, except he'll be pricier than what I wanted. With Clarkson and Randle on the books, that'd eat way too much into 2018 cap space, which I want to keep open. If we had traded those two (e.g. for PG, although that'd never happen ) then I'd be all aboard.

My ideal guy would be more of a Seth Curry type of player -- dcarter advocated for him and I wanted him as well last year (though I wasn't nearly as vocal about it )

Under the radar guy is Sergio Rodriguez....He could probably be had for cheap and is unrestricted.

Hes 30 and has had some great game this season but also some bad ones.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:
I don't like Blake really. But he is better then Randle and if it gets us PG it must be done.

He is better than randle right now no doubt...

However, the past 3 seasons hes missed a lot of games due to injury.
Hes 28 and has been declining in terms of statistical measure.

Holds the ball to long, and still after 7 seas

ons in the league doesn't have a consistent jump shot, which is crucial for a PF in todays game, especially if we are paying max.

My gut tells me I would rather invest in Randle due to potential over paying Blake Griffin the max.

Even if we can sign Randle to a 80M extension then with Griffin on a 130M extension, compared to Randle, Griffin is a house name and has more star pedigree for us to have others willing to come here, we were left in the dust the last few years and people still think its right to pick and choose?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
The Grind wrote:
tox wrote:

Throw money at Shaun Livingston or Patty Mills.
I'd rather look for an undervalued guy -- like Seth Curry last year. Similar production for cheaper. I do like Livingston or Mills (especially Mills) and I'd be on board if we didn't have $58M invested in Mozgov, Deng, Clarkson, and Randle (cap hold) in 2018.

Clarkson and Randle can both be moved. There's an outside chance one of Moz/Deng can as well, given that teams will be looking to add payroll when the cap rises again. Additional assets would have to be involved of course, but that's where Randle/Clarkson/Hou 1st come in play. As for Mills, offer him 12M a year and see what happens. He's completely worth it. and with Swaggy likely gone, we're gonna need more shooters.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:
I don't like Blake really. But he is better then Randle and if it gets us PG it must be done.

ons in the league doesn't have a consistent jump shot, which is crucial for a PF in todays game, especially if we are paying max.

My gut tells me I would rather invest in Randle due to potential over paying Blake Griffin the max.

Even if we can sign Randle to a 80M extension then with Griffin on a 130M extension, compared to Randle, Griffin is a house name and has more star pedigree for us to have others willing to come here, we were left in the dust the last few years and people still think its right to pick and choose?

For sure its all about results...I don't think Paul George looks at Blake Griffin and thinks that's a guy I can win with...Its more like that's a guy I can make a commercial with haha..

I think players just want to see a good team in place, and have an idea of what there role will be and what system they will be in...

Unfortunately those two things are impossible to identify and pitch to George because we just don't know what this team will look like and what kind of system we are trying to run.

We shouldn't just make a move for the sake of making a move...

Id rather put small pieces in place that compliment what we are trying to build under Luke then when the right FA is available go after them...

until then we have to hope that one of our young guys or future young guys with the picks we have this summer can help us in building a quality team with an identity that future FA's will want to joing.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-clippers-blake-griffin-could-consider-lakers-celtics-in-free-agency/

rather him go to Celtics to remove them from PG-13 race, then sign him in 2018
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

For sure its all about results...I don't think Paul George looks at Blake Griffin and thinks that's a guy I can win with...Its more like that's a guy I can make a commercial with haha..

I think players just want to see a good team in place, and have an idea of what there role will be and what system they will be in...

Unfortunately those two things are impossible to identify and pitch to George because we just don't know what this team will look like and what kind of system we are trying to run.

We shouldn't just make a move for the sake of making a move...

Id rather put small pieces in place that compliment what we are trying to build under Luke then when the right FA is available go after them...

until then we have to hope that one of our young guys or future young guys with the picks we have this summer can help us in building a quality team with an identity that future FA's will want to joing.

There is a better chance you can win with Griffin, and im willing to bet that PG has real interest in joining Boston, if we can get PG with signing Griffin i dont care about the potential results.. its about getting talented players.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Man if I was PG I would have a real interest in joining Boston as well....

Not only do they have a good "team" but they also have a crapload of picks including a possible 1st this year...

They have players who know there role and play hard. If you really want to win you go to Boston
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject:

started listening to Rob Pelinka with woj.

Rob invited woj to the lakers facility woj in heaven
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Hypothetically, if PG explicitly told the Lakers to go get Blake then yeah I think I would do it. You'd obviously have to move Randle/Clarkson for other pieces, namely shooters.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:

Not only do they have a good "team" but they also have a crapload of picks including a possible 1st this year...

They have players who know there role and play hard. If you really want to win you go to Boston

He was speaking highly of there chemistry recently, while he still hasnt said anything about the Lakers..that is why the article suggests that we need to sign a star for the Paul George gate to be possible.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:

was glad to hear Pelinka tell Woj that stars can be acquired in the draft.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:

Was this on a podcast, would love to hear the interview.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-clippers-blake-griffin-could-consider-lakers-celtics-in-free-agency/

rather him go to Celtics to remove them from PG-13 race, then sign him in 2018

also, if you read the article, he clearly points our that Blake will most likely sign with the Clippers.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

The Grind wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

yes...the most recent Woj
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

adkindo wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

How can a star be acquired in the draft?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
The Grind wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

yes...the most recent Woj

Thanks!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Very cool to see Pelinka and the Lakers building relationships with major sports guys like WOJ.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

you send the guys name to the commissioner?
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

He was speaking highly of there chemistry recently, while he still hasnt said anything about the Lakers..that is why the article suggests that we need to sign a star for the Paul George gate to be possible.

For sure I think a question you should ask is...

IS Myles Turner more valuable than Griffin?

If the answer is yes then why would George think its a good idea to team up with Griffin.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

So its about drafting star talent?
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

Holds the ball to long, and still after 7 seasons in the league doesn't have a consistent jump shot, which is crucial for a PF in todays game, especially if we are paying max.

28 is the age a player enters his prime? in basketball you only give 4yr deals and not like baseball where the deals are 10years
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

Holds the ball to long, and still after 7 seasons in the league doesn't have a consistent jump shot, which is crucial for a PF in todays game, especially if we are paying max.

28 is the age a player enters his prime? in basketball you only give 4yr deals and not like baseball where the deals are 10years

For sure in most cases 28 is prime age...But remember Griffin has missed a handful of games for various injuries the past 3 seasons...including knee surgery this season.

We need someone who can play all 82 games consistently first off.

Statistically he hasn't gotten any better. Its a risky move IMO and not sure Griffin is going to get that much better over the rest of his career. its more likely that he keeps declining at this point based on my observations.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

So its about drafting star talent?

I am not sure what your asking. did you listen to Pelinka?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 412, 413, 414 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next
Page 413 of 1813
Jump to: