OFFICIAL 2017 FREE AGENCY (Lakers sign Bogut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 519, 520, 521 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
We can do better than Melo and Brook Lopez....jesus christ that's awful if that's who people want to target.

I would like to see PG, Hayward or Butler - Someone in that group. Blake Griffin would be good also.

No on Drummond, No on Melo, No on Lopez - Unless you can dump Deng and/or Mozgov.

Agree. IF Lakers get Melo, we'll be stuck in Loser hell. What's next? A little Loser farewell tour?

PASS!
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

I'm curious to see what anyone sees in Carmelo? A 32 year old shot jacker who averaged 22 points on 19 shots (43% FG). This is the same guy that has made a career of doing nothing other then scoring, but now he's even worse on defense and he's not as good as scorer in his prime. He hasn't done anything meaningful in NY and he hasn't lead a contending team since he left the Nuggets which was over 7 years ago. I just want to emphasize that this guy is going to be turning 33 years old, he's going to get even worse at scoring and defense.

What is it about this guy that makes people make up fantasy trades?
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
I'm curious to see what anyone sees in Carmelo? A 32 year old shot jacker who averaged 22 points on 19 shots (43% FG). This is the same guy that has made a career of doing nothing other then scoring, but now he's even worse on defense and he's not as good as scorer in his prime. He hasn't done anything meaningful in NY and he hasn't lead a contending team since he left the Nuggets which was over 7 years ago. I just want to emphasize that this guy is going to be turning 33 years old, he's going to get even worse at scoring and defense.

I have no clue why any team would want Melo...
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:

I don't think a single person advocating Melo cares about any of that. I am looking at it like we are chopping off two years of Moz or Deng. Getting us to financial flexibility next year.

Trade for him and cut him if you want. He's basically an expiring in a situation where ny will basically take anything including Moz or Deng if we add Julius
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Melo isn't a guy I would want at this stage of his career, but I would make the trade if the Knicks would take back Deng + Randle as part of the deal. Same goes for the Brook Lopez deal, though I think Brook still has more upside than Melo at this point.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:

I don't think a single person advocating Melo cares about any of that. I am looking at it like we are chopping off two years of Moz or Deng. Getting us to financial flexibility next year.

Trade for him and cut him if you want. He's basically an expiring in a situation where ny will basically take anything including Moz or Deng if we add Julius

Problem with Melo is he's not an expiring, he's probably going to opt in because he's not gonna get close to $26M or whatever it is on the open market.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Looking at the Bucks' box score... I want Middleton so badly.
Also I remember talking so much (bleep) about Greg Monroe. Sorry buddy, I guess you aren't too bad
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Also I remember talking so much (bleep) about Greg Monroe. Sorry buddy, I guess you aren't too bad

I bet the Bucks are glad they didnt dump him like they wanted to do this summer.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

he has been pretty solid this year
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I will note that if you could get the Knicks to take just JC and Deng and a 2nd rounder or two for Melo, that keeps Randle with us (and Moz too), and likely takes the Lopez deal off the table. (I'm not giving up Randle for just 1 year of Lopez, even if it meant getting rid of Moz too.) You could then offer Randle as part of a different trade, I suppose, perhaps even along with the top 3 pick to get PG.

There really are a ton of possibilities. I just hope we end up with something where I don't cringe.

I don't see Melo wanting to come and play with Lopez. I doubt that is enough to get him to agree to a trade.

If he knew we had a plan to sign a top FA guard with available cap space and trade the top 3 pick (if we kept it, obviously) for another All-Star or borderline All-Star, perhaps he would think differently.

We're the ones who should be thinking differently.

Even if we could dump BOTH Moz and Deng? There is no perfect answer here. I'm just trying to consider certain possibilities. I have no illusions about Melo still being a great player. I truly don't. But he's $8MM a year cheaper than MozDeng, expires 1 year sooner, and isn't the worst fit for the type of offense we run (a 4 that can shoot). He also seems to be well-liked around the league. Again, there is no perfect answer, but if you could dump both Moz and Deng, it's something I wouldn't dismiss out of hand.

I thought that the Knicks would have to fund - pay for his trade bonus, but it would be shown as part of the team salary of the team that he was traded to.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:

Problem with Melo is he's not an expiring, he's probably going to opt in because he's not gonna get close to $26M or whatever it is on the open market.

What do you mean. That's exactly why he will opt out. Secure more money by opting out to get a four year deal for more money or something.

There's no way he wouldn't opt out
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject:

I really dont have a good feel either way what Melo would do. If he opts out, I doubt he would get anywhere close to the money he is opting out from. But maybe he wants more long term security before a severed drop in play?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Melo will be 33 in six weeks.

In summer 2018, he will be 34 and the market for a declining Melo might not be very strong.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I will note that if you could get the Knicks to take just JC and Deng and a 2nd rounder or two for Melo, that keeps Randle with us (and Moz too), and likely takes the Lopez deal off the table. (I'm not giving up Randle for just 1 year of Lopez, even if it meant getting rid of Moz too.) You could then offer Randle as part of a different trade, I suppose, perhaps even along with the top 3 pick to get PG.

There really are a ton of possibilities. I just hope we end up with something where I don't cringe.

I don't see Melo wanting to come and play with Lopez. I doubt that is enough to get him to agree to a trade.

If he knew we had a plan to sign a top FA guard with available cap space and trade the top 3 pick (if we kept it, obviously) for another All-Star or borderline All-Star, perhaps he would think differently.

We're the ones who should be thinking differently.

Even if we could dump BOTH Moz and Deng? There is no perfect answer here. I'm just trying to consider certain possibilities. I have no illusions about Melo still being a great player. I truly don't. But he's $8MM a year cheaper than MozDeng, expires 1 year sooner, and isn't the worst fit for the type of offense we run (a 4 that can shoot). He also seems to be well-liked around the league. Again, there is no perfect answer, but if you could dump both Moz and Deng, it's something I wouldn't dismiss out of hand.

I thought that the Knicks would have to fund - pay for his trade bonus, but it would be shown as part of the team salary of the team that he was traded to.

Yeah that's right, he does have a 15% trade kicker, so I didn't factor that in.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:

In summer 2018, he will be 34 and the market for a declining Melo might not be very strong.

Whatever it is it will be better than him waiting another year
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
tox wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:

What do you mean. That's exactly why he will opt out. Secure more money by opting out to get a four year deal for more money or something.

There's no way he wouldn't opt out

I think Melo stands to make more money by getting $26M his final year and then seeing what he gets offered the next year. I don't think there will be a large disparity between what he gets in 2018 offseason and 2019 offseason. Maybe I'm wrong and he wants the security against injury by opting out, but he's made so much money he can accept a little risk.

Not to mention the risk of getting injured in the '17-'18 season and opting in a la Rudy Gay.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:

If LeBron can play at a high level in his 30's then so can Melo, let's not forget how good Melo was when he lead the Knicks to 54 wins a few years ago.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

Whatever it is it will be better than him waiting another year

If the salary cap for the 2018 - 19 season only goes up by $2 - 3 million over the expected $101 million salary cap for the 2017 - 18 season, then there might be limited options for Melo to sign a lucrative contract two year contract in summer 2018. Salaries are only allowed to move up by a defined percentage for veterans such as Melo, so he couldn't sign a two year deal with a relatively small salary for the 2018 - 19 season and then a huge jump for the 2019 - 20 season to compensate for the paltry first year.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
tox wrote:

he has been pretty solid this year

Hes making 17 million a year. Comes off the bench playing against backups.

His averages this season are 11/6/2 and a whopping 0.5 blocks a games.

Not only is he a bad rim protector but is slow on the perimeter. Don't let a couple games against Jonas Valanciunas ( who is also slow ) fool you.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

His Defense also looks a lot better playing with guys who have incredible length on the perimeter in Snell and Giannis. Along with feisty players in Middleton and Dellavadova.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

If LeBron can play at a high level in his 30's then so can Melo, let's not forget how good Melo was when he lead the Knicks to 54 wins a few years ago.

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

Like it or not, Melo is a star talent, he used to be in the same league as LeBron and even out played a lot of superstars even in recent seasons. what I have noticed is that Laker fans are never satisfied with getting anyone.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

Do you actually watch Carmelo Anthony play or are you just saying that because you hear the name "Carmelo Anthony".

There's no point in discussing IF Carmelo can play at a high level in his 30s because Carmelo has stopped playing at a high level already and he's 33. He played 34 MPG for 74 games and his team won 31 games in the east.

22 points on 19 shots this year as a 33 year old who doesn't play a lick of defense, won't fit in with a system that wants players to be unselfish and is only going to get worse.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject:

If you can get a potential 25-30PPG scorer for Deng and JC + Randle and picks you take it and run...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If you can get a potential 25-30PPG scorer for Deng and JC + Randle and picks you take it and run...

if you're talking about Melo... oh god
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 519, 520, 521 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next
Page 520 of 1813
Jump to: