OFFICIAL 2017 FREE AGENCY (Lakers sign Bogut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1789, 1790, 1791 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Woj: Paul George and Russell Westbrook played big role in recruiting Carmelo Anthony to come to the Thunder

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/911639426249486336
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/71zitd/wojnarowski_russell_westbrook_and_paul_george/

welp

What's the welp for? If he is so inclined to stay with OKC why RW hasn't signed?
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Okc didn't win 50 games. That's how little I think of Carmelo these days.

This. Carmelo sucks, badly, these days. If he's willing to be the third wheel and play off the ball and try to actually play some defense for the first time in a decade, he might be good for OKC if he still has enough left in the tank, but nothing I've seen from Melo the last six years or so makes me think that's likely.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject:

The Thunder are a super team in the same way that Derrick Rose said the Knicks were a super team when he signed with them a couple years ago, imo. Unless Carmelo has changed his stripes, I don't see how fun it will be to play with WB and Carmelo jacking up low percentage shots all the time.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Unless OKC beats GSW, I dont see PG staying. Next year Melo will be a yr older As will RW. They will get worse. GSW will be in their prime for at least 3 more years. Gotta hand it to Presti for making all this moves to entice RW to stay. Lakers will still give PG the best shot at a ring when gSW declines.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Woj: Paul George and Russell Westbrook played big role in recruiting Carmelo Anthony to come to the Thunder

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/71zitd/wojnarowski_russell_westbrook_and_paul_george/

welp

Welp what?

When Westbrook signs an extension, then I'l start to wonder.

THey convinced him to just look at this next year of his life and realize how good it could be in OKC versus in NY.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject:

Kinda weird that players can tamper all they want
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Okc didn't win 50 games. That's how little I think of Carmelo these days.

Me too, I've been a Melo skeptic for years. Even when he was good.

But he's an upgrade over Kanter, if he plays like the fabled "Olympic Melo" who wasn't quite the chucker or ball pounder that we all know and hate Melo for being. That extra spacing at the 4 spot will help Westbrook a lot.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

It's because Paul George was still under contract and Melo... oh wait, Melo is still under contract too.

It's because Paul George clearly stated that he wanted out... oh wait, Melo also said he wanted out.

Yeah, what does tampering mean again?
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
defense wrote:

But he's an upgrade over Kanter, if he plays like the fabled "Olympic Melo" who wasn't quite the chucker or ball pounder that we all know and hate Melo for being. That extra spacing at the 4 spot will help Westbrook a lot.

This is the first team Melo doesn't have to be the man. They can take turns carrying the load during the season. Can't wait to watch it.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
tox wrote:
defense wrote:

This is the first team Melo doesn't have to be the man. They can take turns carrying the load during the season. Can't wait to watch it.

I don't think it'll work(they'll be 3 seed at best), Carmelo has been declining for 2-3 years.. But ideally, their big 3 share the offensive load very evenly, allowing for PG13 and Westbrook to be very good defensive players vs. the Warriors. WB is a bad defender normally, but a lighter offensive load would certainly cure that.
That ideal situation would still only push the Warriors to 6. Depending on how clunky and stagnant their O is, and how bad WB and Melo are defensively, Warriors very well may sweep.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

It's because Paul George was still under contract and Melo... oh wait, Melo is still under contract too.

It's because Paul George clearly stated that he wanted out... oh wait, Melo also said he wanted out.

Yeah, what does tampering mean again?

They all do it. It's a code of honor not to snitch. The Pacers will find business in recruiting and trades a little more difficult in the next few years. That is why they were quick to shoot down reports of them planning to sue the Lakers. They were emphatic that they will not sue because they know how bad they look already to agents.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject:

Carmelo will break down. Not really the same player anymore. Reminds me of the Rockets when they added Pippen & Barkley but couldn't make it through the year. Side note stumbled upon Russell Westbrook's card dealership in Van Nuys. Workers said they had a basketball court inside.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
Carmelo will break down. Not really the same player anymore. Reminds me of the Rockets when they added Pippen & Barkley but couldn't make it through the year. Side note stumbled upon Russell Westbrook's card dealership in Van Nuys. Workers said they had a basketball court inside.

not really? not close. Still could possibly be very good offensively, his spot-up numbers are great. But this dude was arguably the best scorer in the league 5-7 years ago, he's not close to that star level now
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
The Thunder are a super team in the same way that Derrick Rose said the Knicks were a super team when he signed with them a couple years ago, imo. Unless Carmelo has changed his stripes, I don't see how fun it will be to play with WB and Carmelo jacking up low percentage shots all the time.

Except the Knicks sucked, Westbrook alone was enough to get the thunder to the 6th seed in the West...
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Except the Knicks sucked, Westbrook alone was enough to get the thunder to the 6th seed in the West...

No doubt RW is one of the biggest impact players in the league. George is no wimp either...so, yeah, they will win some games...
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
defense wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
PG — Russell Westbrook
SG — Andre Roberson
SF —  Paul George
PF — Carmelo Anthony
C — Steven Adams

It looks like a good team I still have them behind the GSW and the Rockets in the west

Will be interesting to see how that line up works out defensively if that is the starting line up

Well? Great pair of perimeter defenders, Westbrook should defend this year since he doesn't need to carry as much of a load, Adams is solid. Melo is the only bad defender of the 5.

I'm thinking offensively Roberson is still a terrible fit (any wing who can't shoot is a big no-no for me), giving them 2 guys who can't spread the floor.
That's the biggest problem I see.

OKC also has some decent bench players to throw into the mix. Solid vets and a couple of young players to develop. One of them being a player many around here were excited about at draft time. Terence Ferguson.

OKC could be a pretty solid third or fourth seed with that roster. If they can figure out the chemistry and responsibility issues, who knows?

Season just got a little more interesting.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject:

I think people are kinda lying to themselves in this thread about how good the Thunder look on paper and how good they could potentially be, out of fear that it diminishes our chances of getting PG13 or Westbrook.

Maybe this era of Superteams has desensitized fans, or the fact that crazily the Thunder still probably don't have enough to beat the Warriors (though I believe they can give them a series).

Westbrook is in his prime and is just coming off his best season (MVP), Paul George is in his prime. Melo is the only one that is declining, but you are looking at it through the lens of Melo as a 1st option like he was on the Nuggets or Knicks. You won't find many third options in the history of championship/contending teams that are as good or better than current Melo.

I saw a stat on ESPN that said this is the first time since the 1957 Hawks where a team with the reigning MVP added two all-star players.

Given Isiah Thomas' injury question marks (Cavs), I think on paper the Thunder are easily the 2nd best team in the league after the Warriors. Just pure talent-wise.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

Second best team in the league without playing a game? Seems optimistic IMO.

Certainly potential to be very good if all the pieces fall into place.

I do agree some are underestimating Anthony's positive impact overall. As for next year's free agency, I am not focusing on what this move means for the Lakers. There is an entire season to be played before we can see who will available or not.

In all honesty I am much more interested in seeing how the current roster develops and fits together. Re-evaluate after their season to see who needs to stay or be added.

Last edited by Four Decade Bandwagon on Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
I think people are kinda lying to themselves in this thread about how good the Thunder look on paper and how good they could potentially be, out of fear that it diminishes our chances of getting PG13 or Westbrook.

Maybe this era of Superteams has desensitized fans, or the fact that crazily the Thunder still probably don't have enough to beat the Warriors (though I believe they can give them a series).

Westbrook is in his prime and is just coming off his best season (MVP), Paul George is in his prime. Melo is the only one that is declining, but you are looking at it through the lens of Melo as a 1st option like he was on the Nuggets or Knicks. You won't find many third options in the history of championship/contending teams that are as good or better than current Melo.

I saw a stat on ESPN that said this is the first time since the 1957 Hawks where a team with the reigning MVP added two all-star players.

Given Isiah Thomas' injury question marks (Cavs), I think on paper the Thunder are easily the 2nd best team in the league after the Warriors. Just pure talent-wise.

"Looking good on paper" means nothing, because it often doesn't take play-style into account. In a vacuum of pure talent, they're the 2nd best team in the league --- but they're 3 ball-stopping ballhogs - write that as a little note on that piece of paper.

From what I've read, Donavan isn't a good X-O coach. Also factor in how stubborn Westbrook is, and I believe Paul George is as well("I need the last shot"), Melo too. Melo sacrificed solely for the Olympics, I doubt all 3 will sacrifice enough to sail this ship smoothly. And Donavan won't help them enough.
This isn't 2k, devoid of ego and schematics.

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:

I think Melo will have a great year... He is finally playing with world class vet players again. This is probably the best team he has ever been on. He has a chip on his shoulder, wants to prove people wrong. Plus this is essentially a contract year for him, and you know he would like to land another decent payday.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject:

An inspired Melo on a team with MVP, PG, and a scrappy Adams is going to be exciting for their fans. Let's say PG and WB stay with OKC when they find their roles. I still love our Laker team as we are. In fact, I hope LBJ chooses the Thunder for his next stop. I want Giannis and I want Klay in purple and gold.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

I'm not lying to myself I know how good they can be but I'm going to bet real money that they become the 3 seed and a playoff exit to the Rockets/GSW is in their future.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

I look at Melo's Team USA stint for how he might play on the Thunder this year. He doesn't have the burden of trying to do everything. With Westbrook and PG13 being offensive threats as well, he can be deadly just popping open 2's and 3's. Not to mention people forget why these superteams were formed in the first place. These guys were on teams where they weren't going anywhere and once they teamed up they became a force to be reckoned with.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
MJST wrote:

welp

What's the welp for? If he is so inclined to stay with OKC why RW hasn't signed?

Maybe we are seeing why he hasn’t signed yet, he wants to see how the FO will support him. There is no advantage to signing now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Not really, considering players can’t tamper.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1789, 1790, 1791 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next
Page 1790 of 1813
Jump to: