OFFICIAL 2017 FREE AGENCY (Lakers sign Bogut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1792, 1793, 1794 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
There's no foreseeable benefit for the Lakers in signing him when it comes to actual basketball. Where would he fit? It would make zero sense to downgrade the starting backcourt by making KCP come off the bench. They didn't sign KCP to that contract so he could compete with Clarkson as the sixth man, especially since they're in desperate need of his defense. So does Wade come off the bench then? Can't see why he'd agree to that when he can join teams like Miami, CLE, or OKC and be a starter. Besides, he and Clarkson together would be nightmarish. The offense would become a game of HORSE between the two of them whenever they're on the floor together.

But if anything I hope he goes to OKC just so they'd have yet another guy who will take shots away from George and frustrate him Forcing him to sit through a season long, nonstop chuck fest with all of those guys would probably diminish the possibility of him wanting to stay beyond this one, obligated season that he has to endure.

Well if Wade doesn't come then yeah I agree with your sentiment, Wade going to OKC and the team imploding would be hilarious and would thrust us in signing PG13 once he walks from that team so win-win if you clearly look at it.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
If Westbrook signs now his salary will be 35% of the cap next season. If he signs after this season his salary will be 35% of the cap. You are transferring an argument regarding Paul George (who won’t be a 10 year veteran) to Westbrook, who will be a 10 year veteran. 35% = 35%, but 10 years does not equal 8 years. Westbrook will get 35% of the cap after this season, George could only do so with the super max. Or in 3 more seasons. Simple math.

But for Westbrook, what is the motivation to wait. I mean, you can argue what is the rush but if you no there is no chance of you leaving, then don't keep this cloud hanging over the franchise.

Because PG13 and Melo can both be free agents at the end of the season. Westbrook would be wise to see what pieces Presti is able to put around him after this season.

Also, if that team doesn't Gel fast the pressure will mount for Presti to get something, rather then risk losing all 3 after the season. Say they start slow and struggle but turn it on and get a 7 or 8 seed in the loaded west. Does that do enough to get the big 3 to re up in Oklahoma vs going to somewhere else.

I could see Presti flipping Melo to Houston and other playoff teams rolling the dice in trades for George and Westbrook.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I see a lot of people praising the top teams in the NBA and now OKC with the acquisition of Melo but let's not forget what the Lakers have done since the NBA opened in 1949.

31 finals appearances
16 championships

And more to come

That has no relevance to this upcoming season.

Yes it does, it shows the franchise has the credibility to get back on top a lot sooner.

No one gives a **** what the Lakers did 7 years ago. Just ask Lebron, Durant, Aldridge, Melo and every other major free agent that passed on us.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I see a lot of people praising the top teams in the NBA and now OKC with the acquisition of Melo but let's not forget what the Lakers have done since the NBA opened in 1949.

31 finals appearances
16 championships

And more to come

That has no relevance to this upcoming season.

Yes it does, it shows the franchise has the credibility to get back on top a lot sooner.

No one gives a **** what the Lakers did 7 years ago. Just ask Lebron, Durant, Aldridge, Melo and every other major free agent that passed on us.

I guess not having a relevant FO now matters to you, not to mention Kobes influence on the team putting a dark cloud on FAs the last few years.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject:

I don't get why any Lakers FAN would want wade outside of him being future cap space. LeBron isn't gonna make his decision based on Wade being here. He left Wade high and dry in Miami.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
I don't get why any Lakers FAN would want wade outside of him being future cap space. LeBron isn't gonna make his decision based on Wade being here. He left Wade high and dry in Miami.

Because we have absolutely no incentive to tank this year (no pick) and we need any help we can get to try and make the playoffs. The more progress the team shows the better our chances of landing two max free agents next summer. If we're able to sign two max free agents then Wade on the cheap would be an excellent complementary veteran piece to already have in place.

Wade is past his prime but he still has game left in his tank. Especially with a playmaker like Lonzo who will make it easier for everyone.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:

Because Wade is an all time great player who can still contribute, a crafty veteran, his name alone makes us an even bigger draw than we were before, & his experience and fearlessness teach the young kids a thing or two. Signing Wade has little to do with Lebron coming here next season, but it has everything to do with us improving as a team. Now the thing I definitely won't like is Wade will be on the Kobe practice schedule. Showing up when they feel like it. Not because they feel above team practices, but because they have so many miles on their bodies that they've earn the right to skip practices.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject:

I'd be real surprised if Wade lands anywhere other than Miami, OKC, or Cleveland. Possibly SAS but not likely.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Because we have absolutely no incentive to tank this year (no pick) and we need any help we can get to try and make the playoffs. The more progress the team shows the better our chances of landing two max free agents next summer. If we're able to sign two max free agents then Wade on the cheap would be an excellent complementary veteran piece to already have in place.

Wade is past his prime but he still has game left in his tank. Especially with a playmaker like Lonzo who will make it easier for everyone.

If wade is the reason for our success then we're not getting any stars in free agency. Let that sink in. I rather see the young guys prove themselves and sell that to free agents than to have a log jam at the guard spots. Magic and Rob still all over the place. One mins it's '' we have enough fire power" now they're call wade after signing KCP to 18 mill
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Because Wade is an all time great player who can still contribute, a crafty veteran, his name alone makes us an even bigger draw than we were before, & his experience and fearlessness teach the young kids a thing or two. Signing Wade has little to do with Lebron coming here next season, but it has everything to do with us improving as a team. Now the thing I definitely won't like is Wade will be on the Kobe practice schedule. Showing up when they feel like it. Not because they feel above team practices, but because they have so many miles on their bodies that they've earn the right to skip practices.

Please wade didn't help the youth of Chicago and you think he will in LA?
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Car54 wrote:

If wade is the reason for our success then we're not getting any stars in free agency. Let that sink in. I rather see the young guys prove themselves and sell that to free agents than to have a log jam at the guard spots. Magic and Rob still all over the place. One mins it's '' we have enough fire power" now they're call wade after signing KCP to 18 mill

Who said he would be THE reason for our success? I said a veteran piece that can help. Some of you are ridiculous with these feat or famine takes. Wade was still under contract when they signed KCP. How is it being "all over the place" when the free agency landscape is always evolving and players become available at unexpected moments? You're making assumptions that Lakers would offer him a starting spot (when it's already well documented that when they approached Rondo and Rose for similar roles it was as an off the bench mentor. Now whether Wade accepts that on a non-championship team is another matter entirely).

I would prefer the Lakers team as a whole achieve collective success with a combination of young players and veterans, and not worry so much about being defensive about young guys playing time, or some hypothetical logjam at guard that could change very quickly if Clarkson is traded or if other guys like Hart or Ennis get included in a trade. There's not many better players than Wade (even an aging one) that you can get for that room exemption that can actually help our team.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Paul George on Carmelo Anthony trade: ‘This feels like a championship team... It just has all the makeups to be a great organization and a chance to put championships together.’

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/09/24/paul-george-carmelo-anthony-trade-thunder-championship-team/697704001/
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Paul George on Carmelo Anthony trade: ‘This feels like a championship team... It just has all the makeups to be a great organization and a chance to put championships together.’

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/09/24/paul-george-carmelo-anthony-trade-thunder-championship-team/697704001/

We'll see.

Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

I would feel the same way at this moment in time if I was him also. This team
is light years better than his pacers squad.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
MJST wrote:

How does Paul George know anything about championship team.
He's going to be begging to play for the Lakers next year with LEbron on our team.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Who said he would be THE reason for our success? I said a veteran piece that can help. Some of you are ridiculous with these feat or famine takes. Wade was still under contract when they signed KCP. How is it being "all over the place" when the free agency landscape is always evolving and players become available at unexpected moments? You're making assumptions that Lakers would offer him a starting spot (when it's already well documented that when they approached Rondo and Rose for similar roles it was as an off the bench mentor. Now whether Wade accepts that on a non-championship team is another matter entirely).

I would prefer the Lakers team as a whole achieve collective success with a combination of young players and veterans, and not worry so much about being defensive about young guys playing time, or some hypothetical logjam at guard that could change very quickly if Clarkson is traded or if other guys like Hart or Ennis get included in a trade. There's not many better players than Wade (even an aging one) that you can get for that room exemption that can actually help our team.

This aint about being defensive over the young guys. This is about growth and them being the seling point not some washed up vet on a one year deal. Please stop there was wade rumors while he was under contract. This didn't just start. The Lakers rumors started two months ago in July. So yes they're all over the place. WADE is offense only he plays no defense so he's not as good as you're making him out to be. Now if there was a trade to move Clarkson for a expiring wade that would make sense. You use the word hypothetical for the log jam when it's not a hypothetical (ball Enis Hart Brewer Blue Caruso Clarkson) if he was signed by the Lakers it would be reality. Sure a trade could happen afterwards but that would be the hypothetical part not the logjam.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Paul George said the Thunder have "already proven everything on my check list."
"That's what makes me feel like, 'Hey, this can be a landing spot for me, and somewhere I can call home for years.'" George added that winning was above the Lakers on his list of priorities, so it certainly sounds like he's more than open to staying with the Thunder past 2018. "Winning takes precedence over all of it. That's the ultimate happiness," he said. "It's not location. It's not stardom. It's not 'where can I make the most money.' It's winning, and winning championships.

This is starting to look sad as OKC truly looks like they can contend if everyone buys into their roles.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject:

The Small Market Mafia.

Not a problem to trade PG13 for basically a salary dump by OKC.

OKC salary dumps Kanter (they've been trying to get rid of him) for Melo. Not a problem.

Gotta love it.

However, I think OKC is just going to be a 1 year waystation for WB/Melo/PG13.

I have a hard time seeing them:

1. re-sign all 3 (Melo has a ETO next year). I heard the luxury tax/repeater hits can be close to 80m if WB/PG13 get their max and Melo opts in. No way OKC is paying.

2. commit to long term deals to stay in OKC. I can totally understand going balls to the walls for 1 season though.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
Chad09 wrote:
MJST wrote:

He's going to be begging to play for the Lakers next year with LEbron on our team.

feel like there are likely going to be a lot of heartbroken Laker fans next offseason....
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
Chad09 wrote:
MJST wrote:

feel like there are likely going to be a lot of heartbroken Laker fans next offseason....

Why? It's an eternity until next year.

Players, unlike fans, can compartmentalize things. I can totally see someone like PG13 going 100% for OKC this year, and trying to win a ring. And then next summer, pursuing his alleged lifelong dream to play ball for the Lakers.

KD the summer b/f he left did that. So did LBJ b/f he came back to the Cavs.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Small Market Mafia.

OKC salary dumps Kanter (they've been trying to get rid of him) for Melo. Not a problem.

Gotta love it.

1. re-sign all 3 (Melo has a ETO next year). I heard the luxury tax/repeater hits can be close to 80m if WB/PG13 get their max and Melo opts in. No way OKC is paying.

2. commit to long term deals to stay in OKC. I can totally understand going balls to the walls for 1 season though.

OKC owner avoids the luxury tax like the plague so I don’t see all 3 signing with OKC. PG13 flip flops a lot so I’m not so sure about him to the Lakers but I would say there is an 80% chance that all 3 hit free agency in 2018.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Small Market Mafia.

Gotta love it.

OKC owner avoids the luxury tax like the plague so I don’t see all 3 signing with OKC. PG13 flip flops a lot so I’m not so sure about him to the Lakers but I would say there is an 80% chance that all 3 hit free agency in 2018.

Think about this.

WB:35m
PG13:30m
Melo:28m
Adams:25m
Roberson:10m

Just that starting 5 in 2018 will cost (salary alone) 128m, with the cap set at around 102-103m.

Of the 3, I see PG13 being the most likely to leave.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
Chad09 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Still several free agent stars likely available next off season that Laker fans can obsess over.

Can just speak for myself but every little chipping away of the fantasy plan keeps the dream alive of a plan of developing the young roster long term. Instead of the quick fix name game for a short run.

Of course the young players have to prove on the court they are worthy of that respect and contracts. But that is what we shall find out this season.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject:

i think the Paul George to Lakers ship has sailed.... unfortunately with Melo George and Westbrook together, if they some how play well together that team could be scary. No need to leave that situation and start over again.

I find it interesting how little OKC gave up to get both Melo and PG13.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
i think the Paul George to Lakers ship has sailed.... unfortunately with Melo George and Westbrook together, if they some how play well together that team could be scary. No need to leave that situation and start over again.

I find it interesting how little OKC gave up to get both Melo and PG13.

Did you see my post above? They would be paying upwards of 120m for just the starting lineup. Nate Duncan projected a luxury tax/repeater hit of over 80m too. No way they're keeping all those players IMO.

And I think PG13 dream is actually more real now b/c of this severe price tag of having essentially 3 FAs who will command close to 100m combined for the 3 of them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1792, 1793, 1794 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next
Page 1793 of 1813
Jump to: