OFFICIAL 2017 FREE AGENCY (Lakers sign Bogut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1793, 1794, 1795 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject:

I love that the Lakers reached out to Wade.
Not sure how he fits, but love the activity of the FO.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
i think the Paul George to Lakers ship has sailed....

definitely feel it has went from almost likely, to unlikely.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Small Market Mafia.

Not a problem to trade PG13 for basically a salary dump by OKC.

OKC salary dumps Kanter (they've been trying to get rid of him) for Melo. Not a problem.

Gotta love it.

However, I think OKC is just going to be a 1 year waystation for WB/Melo/PG13.

I have a hard time seeing them:

1. re-sign all 3 (Melo has a ETO next year). I heard the luxury tax/repeater hits can be close to 80m if WB/PG13 get their max and Melo opts in. No way OKC is paying.

2. commit to long term deals to stay in OKC. I can totally understand going balls to the walls for 1 season though.

OKC owner avoids the luxury tax like the plague so I don’t see all 3 signing with OKC. PG13 flip flops a lot so I’m not so sure about him to the Lakers but I would say there is an 80% chance that all 3 hit free agency in 2018.

Think about this.

WB:35m
PG13:30m
Melo:28m
Adams:25m
Roberson:10m

Just that starting 5 in 2018 will cost (salary alone) 128m, with the cap set at around 102-103m.

Of the 3, I see PG13 being the most likely to leave.

so you do not think OKC will offer PG-13 a max deal?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Small Market Mafia.

Not a problem to trade PG13 for basically a salary dump by OKC.

OKC salary dumps Kanter (they've been trying to get rid of him) for Melo. Not a problem.

Gotta love it.

However, I think OKC is just going to be a 1 year waystation for WB/Melo/PG13.

I have a hard time seeing them:

1. re-sign all 3 (Melo has a ETO next year). I heard the luxury tax/repeater hits can be close to 80m if WB/PG13 get their max and Melo opts in. No way OKC is paying.

2. commit to long term deals to stay in OKC. I can totally understand going balls to the walls for 1 season though.

OKC owner avoids the luxury tax like the plague so I don’t see all 3 signing with OKC. PG13 flip flops a lot so I’m not so sure about him to the Lakers but I would say there is an 80% chance that all 3 hit free agency in 2018.

Think about this.

WB:35m
PG13:30m
Melo:28m
Adams:25m
Roberson:10m

Just that starting 5 in 2018 will cost (salary alone) 128m, with the cap set at around 102-103m.

Of the 3, I see PG13 being the most likely to leave.

so you do not think OKC will offer PG-13 a max deal?

Not sure. but he's a UFA so it's his choice.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject:

Haha. Well, what if okcs big 3 gives OKC a discount? Just like how we think players might give the Lakers a discount?

I'm one of the few that doesn't even mind getting one superstar, if that superstar is LeBron. And re-sign the guys we have, since I think KCP and Julius are gonna be awesome this year.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I see a lot of people praising the top teams in the NBA and now OKC with the acquisition of Melo but let's not forget what the Lakers have done since the NBA opened in 1949.

31 finals appearances
16 championships

And more to come

That has no relevance to this upcoming season.

Yes it does, it shows the franchise has the credibility to get back on top a lot sooner.

No one gives a **** what the Lakers did 7 years ago. Just ask Lebron, Durant, Aldridge, Melo and every other major free agent that passed on us.

I guess not having a relevant FO now matters to you, not to mention Kobes influence on the team putting a dark cloud on FAs the last few years.

The front office NOW does matter. Notice how we weren't talking about RIGHT NOW, you brought up accolades Magic and Pelinka had nothing to do with. So which is it?
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

I think everyone needs to relax. Everybody does this before every season - everyone's excited, new season, fresh start, and everyone's insanely optimistic. There's no way adding Carmelo swings the likelihood of PG13 coming to LA from 90% to 25%. If anything PG13 is showing positive characteristics - he's riding with his new team and sounds like he's 100% in for this year. I'd rather have a guy like that, then a guy who's going to mail in a season. Let's see what happens with OKC and us before we jump off the bridge. It's e a long season.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject:

ITT: A bunch of nervous Laker fans trying to convince themselves George would rather play for a lottery team than play for a WCF team.

Good thing Magic dumped a #2 overall pick in a salary dump a year before he needed to huh?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
ITT: A bunch of nervous Laker fans trying to convince themselves George would rather play for a lottery team than play for a WCF team.

Good thing Magic dumped a #2 overall pick in a salary dump a year before he needed to huh?

You should try being a Laker fan for once.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject:

yeah.. I don't see them resigning all 3. that's way too much money.

Melo will bolt.. for a bigger market.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:

So running down the financial realities for a team that tries to avoid the luxury tax isn't pertinent? I mean, they're going to be north of 80m in luxury tax payments in 2018 if they keep the 3 of them, which is something I'm fairly certain won't happen in OKC.

They're smart though. They're going all in OR going to fully rebuild in 2018. If all 3 leave, they can rebuild again, and in a small market, being bad for years is palatable.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Haha. Well, what if okcs big 3 gives OKC a discount? Just like how we think players might give the Lakers a discount?

I'm one of the few that doesn't even mind getting one superstar, if that superstar is LeBron. And re-sign the guys we have, since I think KCP and Julius are gonna be awesome this year.

I agree....except for me it does not have to be Lebron. Any one of Lebron, PG13 or Westbrook and I would be excited...to pair with Ingram, Ball, and Randle.....then whatever fits with KCP and Lopez.....or even JC if he takes a big step this year.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:

Melo is the most likely to stay....he is not getting that money on the open market if he opts out.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Melo is the most likely to stay....he is not getting that money on the open market if he opts out.

For me that would be the funniest.
WB and PG leave and OKC is stuck with Melo.
Please let this happen!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:

I agree....except for me it does not have to be Lebron. Any one of Lebron, PG13 or Westbrook and I would be excited...to pair with Ingram, Ball, and Randle.....then whatever fits with KCP and Lopez.....or even JC if he takes a big step this year.

Didn't we have enough for a max with DLO/Moz still on the books (and assuming either trade/stretch Deng, move one of Jules/JC)?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

The Lebrons wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

I think everyone needs to relax. Everybody does this before every season - everyone's excited, new season, fresh start, and everyone's insanely optimistic. There's no way adding Carmelo swings the likelihood of PG13 coming to LA from 90% to 25%. If anything PG13 is showing positive characteristics - he's riding with his new team and sounds like he's 100% in for this year. I'd rather have a guy like that, then a guy who's going to mail in a season. Let's see what happens with OKC and us before we jump off the bridge. It's e a long season.

not sure where your numbers are derived from....I was suggesting "almost likely" (55-60%) to "unlikely" (35-40%).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:

Didn't we have enough for a max with DLO/Moz still on the books (and assuming either trade/stretch Deng, move one of Jules/JC)?

If I recall, we were in the ballpark.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Gilbert has deep pockets to absorb a staggering repeater/luxury tax bill; Clay Bennett let Harden go over a few million a year.

No doubt they're going all in right, partly to try to convince WB that they're not going to be cheap. But when the 80m+ bill (not salary but luxury taxes) comes to Clay, he will likely shrivel up.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:

Well. Makes me think it was just as much to do with getting rid of D as it was to get rid of M's contract.

Good point on OKC going all in this year and perhaps just tanking if all 3 leave in 2018. The other thing is, once one of these guys, especially Melo gets another injury, OKC can be proactive and trade players during the season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject:

Team salaries (not including luxury taxes) going into the season.

1. CLE $137.9M
2. GSW $135.4M
3. OKC $133.9M
4. WAS $126.1M
5. POR $122.2M

All the other owners have deep pockets. OKC playing a financial game that they can't sustain.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

1. CLE $137.9M
2. GSW $135.4M
3. OKC $133.9M
4. WAS $126.1M
5. POR $122.2M

All the other owners have deep pockets. OKC playing a financial game that they can't sustain.

your facts are correct, but I still think there is a zero chance OKC does not offer PG-13 a max deal if Westbrook signs his extension.....Melo would only be on the books for another year.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject:

At this point I'm not giving nexts year FA all that much thought...Magic has already put is in a better position financially and put together a good group (on paper at least).

Will enjoy watching the season, which will also help us identify where we could really use some help.

Although I won't be surprised if the Lakers are very active at the trade deadline this year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. CLE $137.9M
2. GSW $135.4M
3. OKC $133.9M
4. WAS $126.1M
5. POR $122.2M

your facts are correct, but I still think there is a zero chance OKC does not offer PG-13 a max deal if Westbrook signs his extension.....Melo would only be on the books for another year.

Oh i don't disagree they will offer it, but that would IMO be preceded by or followed with dramatic salary offloading (i.e. Adams and/or Roberson to start). A starting trio that costs you 100m+ is not really sustainable IMO, especially for a small market.

I can possibly see WB/Melo staying together for another year.

PG13? I'm actually feeling a bit more confident that he comes here. I may be in the minority.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

been so into college football the last few weeks, forgot today is media day wow, we have a game in less than a week....
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

1. CLE $137.9M
2. GSW $135.4M
3. OKC $133.9M
4. WAS $126.1M
5. POR $122.2M

Have no clue how OKC FO/ownership will handle the offers to those free agents or what they will be willing to spend to keep them. Likely they do not even know at this point.

But I I think you may be underestimating the "deep pockets" of OKC.

Bennett is the face of ownership and worth over $400M. But the Thunder are owned by an ownership group. No clue how much each member owns but it is loaded with oil and financial institution leaders. Including a new owner just a few years ago. According to the articles I found, a gentleman named Kaiser woth over $10 billion.

If OKC decided to compete for a couple years and pay the luxury taxes I'm guessing they can afford it. And considering it is likely a tax write-off for the organization there is even less of a downside.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1793, 1794, 1795 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next
Page 1794 of 1813
Jump to: