OFFICIAL 2017 FREE AGENCY (Lakers sign Bogut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 327, 328, 329 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject:

There's a reason the Kings felt confident trading away Boogie. They were watching WCS in practice every day. No chance they were trading him away.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
MJST wrote:
Willie Cauley Stein with 25/10 thus far with Cousins gone and shutting down Nikola Jokic... and crossing him up something fierce https://twitter.com/SportsPinPoint/status/834988688803143681

[expletive] [expletive] AND [EXPLETIVE]!!!!!!!

THIS IS WHY I WANTED HIM BEFORE THE KINGS FIGURED THIS OUT!! UGH!!!

I remember there was a huge WCS stan during last year's draft. Was it you? Because they were saying he should be a top 3 pick or something. I can see why if he keeps playing like that damn.

A lot of us were on the *WCS top 4* pick. A lot. But I was leading the "he's potentially way more skilled than you'd think" charge.
http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=172190&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=3750 found, posted, and lauded all of his jumpers from his final season at UK
Along with posting the ball handling training videos.
I still think I was too high on him, and he won't fulfill all of that potential. It is good to see that potential rearing it's head though.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
MJST wrote:
Willie Cauley Stein with 25/10 thus far with Cousins gone and shutting down Nikola Jokic... and crossing him up something fierce https://twitter.com/SportsPinPoint/status/834988688803143681

[expletive] [expletive] AND [EXPLETIVE]!!!!!!!

THIS IS WHY I WANTED HIM BEFORE THE KINGS FIGURED THIS OUT!! UGH!!!

I remember there was a huge WCS stan during last year's draft. Was it you? Because they were saying he should be a top 3 pick or something. I can see why if he keeps playing like that damn.

Don't know about top 3 pick, but I can attest that MJST was very high on WCS before the draft. I remember reading Mike and MJST's posts (and a few others), which forced me to do some research on WCS because I wasn't familiar with him as a prospect.
jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject:

With steals, blocks and dunks like that, WCS is the anti-Randle.

BTW, Terrence Jones on the wire. Good lord, Corey Brewer is way worse than T-Dot and is still on a team, while T-Dot is still out there...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject:

So let's reset here.

IMO Ibaka likely stays in Toronto as they sign him to be their small ball center.

Holiday, good chance he stays with AD/Boogie b/c quite simply, they need a mediator to make sure both bigs are fed the ball.

So what are our team's needs this summer?

I don't think we will get Hayward so do we just punt (assuming we don't trade for PG13)? if so, do we just sign Swaggy to a 1 year 15m deal, and sign another piece or two for 10m? Keep Black?
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So let's reset here.

IMO Ibaka likely stays in Toronto as they sign him to be their small ball center.

Holiday, good chance he stays with AD/Boogie b/c quite simply, they need a mediator to make sure both bigs are fed the ball.

I don't think we will get Hayward so do we just punt (assuming we don't trade for PG13)? if so, do we just sign Swaggy to a 1 year 15m deal, and sign another piece or two for 10m? Keep Black?

Realistically, all the players you mentioned are not coming here. We will definitely keep Black I think. If we have two first round picks this year, it is not necessary to sign any free agent. We essentially will have:
Russell, rookie
Clarkson, Brewer
Ingram, Deng, rookie
Randle, Nance
Zubac, Black, Moz
Just sign one or two players from training camp. We don't need any other free agent to split minutes with our young core.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject:

Problem is the Lakers aren't going to want to tank next season.

If I had to put probabilities:

1. trade for PG13: > 50%
2. punt cap space (i.e. re-sign Swag to a large 1 year deal, keep Black): 45%.
3. no punt, no PG13 trade: < 10%.

So IMO, we will either have PG13 this summer or we will structure our signings so we can sign him in 2018.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject:

That Boogie/AD pairing, without getting better outside scorers, not sure how it's going to play out. IF they keep Jrue, they have no cap space to sign shooters. Moore/S.Hill are not going to cut it at all. I wonder how they will treat Jrue. He is their last remaining cap space silver bullet.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Pacers star forward is “hell-bent on heading to Laker Land,” USA Today’s Sam Amick reported Thursday, which my sources indicate, as well; there’s little doubt that George will opt out of his contract at the end of the 2017–18 season.

Quote:
And that line could get longer after the lottery. Sports Illustrated’s Jake Fischer reported Tuesday that the Lakers withheld rookie Brandon Ingram from any Cousins offer; Los Angeles presently doesn’t have enough to get a deal done for George, but if the Lakers retain their top-three protected lottery pick, they could conceivably package the pick with Ingram and other pieces to make a run at him.

Top 3 AND Ingram? Oh hell no.

Quote:
Though George is drawn to the Lakers, two separate front-office sources indicated to me prior to the deadline that he isn’t opposed to committing elsewhere if it’s the right situation that gives him a title chance.

https://theringer.com/nba-trade-deadline-paul-george-jimmy-butler-celtics-lakers-nuggets-3e65d90c1492#.vv0jessbf
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Problem is the Lakers aren't going to want to tank next season.

If I had to put probabilities:

1. trade for PG13: > 50%
2. punt cap space (i.e. re-sign Swag to a large 1 year deal, keep Black): 45%.
3. no punt, no PG13 trade: < 10%.

So IMO, we will either have PG13 this summer or we will structure our signings so we can sign him in 2018.

No, we don't want to tank, but we also don't want to give long contract to reduce our cap space in 2018. Re-sign Young to a large 1 year deal is a possibility but I remember you were the one who complained about 4 guards spliting playing time. If we draft a rookie guard, Young won't resign with us because he wants playing time to earn his next contract.

My scenario would be ride with our core young next season and maximise their trade value. Then trade Moz in the summer with our 2 second round picks acquired via Caledron's trade for cap space. Sign PG13 as FA then use our young core to trade for another star player.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

I posted in another thread but I think this will be the "process" going forward:

1. this season: they are going to play the youngsters and evaluate them. IMO we will have trades on our minds this summer, notably PG13. The team will get a evaluation of what DLO/Ingram/Jules/Nance/JC/Zub offer as long-term or trade assets. I wouldn't get too attached to the younglings.

2. this summer: I think they will go after PG13 so we can get his Bird rights to re-sign him. Bear in mind that if we pursue him in 2018, we will need to punt/amass something like 30-34m in cap space; his cap hold if we have him will be much more forgiving, and we can actually sign FAs this summer that pair with him.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
The Pacers star forward is “hell-bent on heading to Laker Land,” USA Today’s Sam Amick reported Thursday, which my sources indicate, as well; there’s little doubt that George will opt out of his contract at the end of the 2017–18 season.

Quote:
And that line could get longer after the lottery. Sports Illustrated’s Jake Fischer reported Tuesday that the Lakers withheld rookie Brandon Ingram from any Cousins offer; Los Angeles presently doesn’t have enough to get a deal done for George, but if the Lakers retain their top-three protected lottery pick, they could conceivably package the pick with Ingram and other pieces to make a run at him.

Quote:
Though George is drawn to the Lakers, two separate front-office sources indicated to me prior to the deadline that he isn’t opposed to committing elsewhere if it’s the right situation that gives him a title chance.

https://theringer.com/nba-trade-deadline-paul-george-jimmy-butler-celtics-lakers-nuggets-3e65d90c1492#.vv0jessbf

I bet PG would love to sign with us having
top 3 going in 2yr
Ingram, zubac going in 3 yr
DLO, Nance, randle going in 4th yr.

2018 is the last time we will have max cap I think
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

top 3 going in 2yr

I think we will trade for him this summer.

That way we still have cap space to use in 2017 summer (don't have to worry about punting b/c we can re-sign PG13 using Bird rights) and whatever we can muster for 2018.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
That Boogie/AD pairing, without getting better outside scorers, not sure how it's going to play out. IF they keep Jrue, they have no cap space to sign shooters. Moore/S.Hill are not going to cut it at all. I wonder how they will treat Jrue. He is their last remaining cap space silver bullet.

Can I ask how would you build a playoff team around PG13 if you trade our young core? If KD left OKC for a better contender, it is very likely PG13 would do the same in 2018.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

top 3 going in 2yr

I think we will trade for him this summer.

That way we still have cap space to use in 2017 summer (don't have to worry about punting b/c we can re-sign PG13 using Bird rights) and whatever we can muster for 2018.

If the cost is top 3 or Ingram/DLO, I will skip. If it's randle I'll consider it.

Just wait another year.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject:

Yeah don't do the New York Knicks crap by trading the barn for a guy who all signs point to has the most interest in coming here.

Don't freaking weaken the team to do it, add him to the team that has those pieces on it, as opposed to a team you diminished to get him.

That said, we also can't be in the lottery next year, if we are, there's no reason for him to come here.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
So let's reset here.

Realistically, all the players you mentioned are not coming here. We will definitely keep Black I think. If we have two first round picks this year, it is not necessary to sign any free agent. We essentially will have:
Russell, rookie
Clarkson, Brewer
Ingram, Deng, rookie
Randle, Nance
Zubac, Black, Moz
Just sign one or two players from training camp. We don't need any other free agent to split minutes with our young core.

If we keep a lottery pick and draft a guard I believe he is going to start from day one and we are probably sliding Russell to the SG spot. Fultz plays like someone that is going to man up and take over games and if Byron Scott takes him from a game telling he was trying to take it over he is probably going to tell he was really trying and is here to win, tanking is the coach's job Ball is almost the opposite a legit distributor that makes players around him better putting them in positions to succeed, I believe Russell would benefit incredibly from someone like him because he is a really superior spot up shooter, he has the chance to play the Ray Allen role alongside a player like Ball and it doesn't takes anything from his passing skills. I believe Zubat and Nance would shine with a legit PG, but with Randle it may become even a greater problem because Russell is a high usage player, Fultz and Ball are going to demand the ball too, Ingram should have his share of ballhandling and Julius is a player that holds the ball a bit too much to my taste. I like him pushing it in transition, other than that I don't like him with the ball.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Yeah don't do the New York Knicks crap by trading the barn for a guy who all signs point to has the most interest in coming here.

Don't freaking weaken the team to do it, add him to the team that has those pieces on it, as opposed to a team you diminished to get him.

That said, we also can't be in the lottery next year, if we are, there's no reason for him to come here.

I'm just speaking from the likely FO perspective. To get PG13 in 2018, have to essentially punt 2017 (i.e. another bottom 5 team) to retain the 32m+ we will need in cap space.

OR, while shedding assets (which is unfortunate but the cost of doing business), we get PG13's Bird rights (the irony), and can use the 2017 cap space to finally build a long-term team around PG13 and the remaining young assets.

Bird's negotiating position has weakened. We may be able to keep more of our young assets, particularly if PG13 says he's opting out and joining the Lakers in 2018.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject:

I really hope PG13 is a wise guy. If he really wants to win as a Lakers, the only way is to sign with us via free agency. Cavs, Warriors and Spurs all acquired a star player without giving up much value. If he only cares about winning, then we shouldn't trade for him because that's unlikely to happen.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:

I'm just speaking from the likely FO perspective. To get PG13 in 2018, have to essentially punt 2017 (i.e. another bottom 5 team) to retain the 32m+ we will need in cap space.

OR, while shedding assets (which is unfortunate but the cost of doing business), we get PG13's Bird rights (the irony), and can use the 2017 cap space to finally build a long-term team around PG13 and the remaining young assets.

Bird's negotiating position has weakened. We may be able to keep more of our young assets, particularly if PG13 says he's opting out and joining the Lakers in 2018.

Just curious, but if we traded for PG13 this summer, wouldn't he kill the max slot (or close to it) that we'd have freed up from our expiring contracts this year?

And I would think that if we're at the negotiating table with them in the summer, they definitely don't have much leverage if it's this obvious to everyone how much PG13 wants to come here in 2018. If we're giving up Ingram and the pick, they sure as hell better be taking Deng or Moz with them.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:

You're looking at it the wrong way imo.

We don't need to punt before the season or during the season.

If we wanted cap space we can get it. Best believe if we got George to commit to being a Laker, other moves would be made and other contracts would be sent out. So that wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by MJST on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:

Bogut could return to Warriors due to CBA Loophole

Andrew Bogut is expected to agree upon a buyout with the Philadelphia 76ers and a loophole in the CBA will allow him to return to the Golden State Warriors.

The Warriors traded Bogut to the Dallas Mavericks in the offseason to help clear salary cap space to sign Kevin Durant. The Mavericks traded Bogut to the 76ers in a package for Nerlens Noel at the deadline.

The reacquisition restriction rule only applies to the "last trade" and not all prior trades as well.

According to a source, the NBA is interpreting that the "last trade" designation technically applies to the Mavericks only.

It is not year clear if the Warriors will have interest in Bogut, who figures to receive interest from the Cavaliers and Celtics.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245087/Andrew-Bogut-Allowed-To-Sign-With-Warriors-Due-To-CBA-Loophole
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Just curious, but if we traded for PG13 this summer, wouldn't he kill the max slot (or close to it) that we'd have freed up from our expiring contracts this year?

And I would think that if we're at the negotiating table with them in the summer, they definitely don't have much leverage if it's this obvious to everyone how much PG13 wants to come here in 2018. If we're giving up Ingram and the pick, they sure as hell better be taking Deng or Moz with them.

I think he's set to make 19m (crazy...that's close to Deng) in 2017. We would hopefully trade out some salary in a transaction. He could eat into some space, but not all.

My point is we get his Bird rights and can re-sign him in 2018 without worrying and punting a season (cap-wise) so we get the chance to sign him in 2018.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:

According to ball insiders, we will have 70m in committed salary. Add top 3+1st round = 7m so total =77m

Maybe by then mozgov/Deng are tradable? By attaching a pick? Or dump JC? To sign PG?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:

You're looking at it the wrong way imo.

We don't need to punt before the season or during the season.

If we wanted cap space we can get it. Best believe if we got George to commit to being a Laker, other moves would be made and other contracts would be sent out. So that wouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't be so bold to call it a "wrong" way. It's not black/white like that. The Lakers are a business and if they feel getting PG13 this summer (with the Pacers leverage decreased) is the way to go, it's not a "wrong" way. We get his Bird rights (which has been instrumental in DRoz/WB) and start building around him NOW by using 2017 cap space to get guys that fit him/young core.

Of course the question is what is the trade price. Without knowing, I wouldn't be so presumptuous to say it's a "wrong" way.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 327, 328, 329 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next
Page 328 of 1813
Jump to: