OFFICIAL 2017 FREE AGENCY (Lakers sign Bogut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 396, 397, 398 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
The only way we are getting rid of moz or send is if we give up future picks or one or more of our young players. Unfortunately Mitch and Jim put us in a tough spot. Even stretching them at this point doesn't help that much with what there earning.

Stretching both Mozgov and Deng helps significantly actually. Unless you feel that 17 million in cap space isn't helpful. Our win-loss record is far more debilitating to our efforts to improve the team than both Mozgov and Deng's contracts.

I don't think Mozgov is unmovable either. Here's a plausible scenario I feel.

Nets Get: Timofey Mozgov, Tyler Ulis, Rockets 2017 1st, & Suns 2017 2nd
Suns Get: Brook Lopez
Lakers Get: Tyson Chandler

-Nets cash in Lopez' expiring contract into desperately needed assets. Still save cap space short term.
-Suns sharply upgrade at Center, give Len another year to develop and gain Lopez' Bird Rights for when he hits free agency.
-Lakers save salary by swapping Mozgov for hometown vet Chandler who has championship experience. His contract is a year shorter and there's a reasonable chance he could even retire before it's through.

Stretching him wouldn't free up 17 million and we would have years and years of dead money owed. Maybe if he only had a year or two left on his contract it would be an option.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject:

PG13 playing pretty well right now, just saying
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Quote:
Zach Lowe:
The Lakers? They might be the one team confident enough to wait for George's free agency. George's interest in L.A. is real, and widely known. But nothing is certain until you get that signature, and every day between now and that July 2018 day brings the risk of some unknown variable messing up your plans.

If the pingpong balls bounce L.A.'s way in the lottery, the Lakers could approach Indy with an offer built around Brandon Ingram and a top-3 pick. That's a lot, but it wouldn't represent a Melo-style roster ravaging from George's standpoint. He's ready to win now; Ingram and a teenaged rookie won't be ready to win for years.

Lol at Ingram + top 3 for 1 yr rental of pg13? No way when he is saying he wants to win and play for contender

Yeah. No way.

1 of Tier 1 assets (DLO/BI/Top 3).

1 of Tier 2 assets (Jules/JC/Zub)

That's it. (and fillers and protected future pick).

Randle/jc is my final offer. Take it bird or leave it.

Yinomes why you want to trade 1 of Ingram/DLO/top 3 when the guy wants to play for contender?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Quote:
Zach Lowe:
The Lakers? They might be the one team confident enough to wait for George's free agency. George's interest in L.A. is real, and widely known. But nothing is certain until you get that signature, and every day between now and that July 2018 day brings the risk of some unknown variable messing up your plans.

If the pingpong balls bounce L.A.'s way in the lottery, the Lakers could approach Indy with an offer built around Brandon Ingram and a top-3 pick. That's a lot, but it wouldn't represent a Melo-style roster ravaging from George's standpoint. He's ready to win now; Ingram and a teenaged rookie won't be ready to win for years.

Lol at Ingram + top 3 for 1 yr rental of pg13? No way when he is saying he wants to win and play for contender

Yeah. No way.

Yinomes why you want to trade 1 of Ingram/DLO/top 3 when the guy wants to play for contender?

You know damn well Jules/JC for PG13 is a laugher. By 2018 that's 30m in contracts between the two, which is a non-starter.

If you have PG13 + 2 of the 3 top assets, cap space, you have a team that's poised to improve within and be a perennial playoff team going forward.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Quote:
Zach Lowe:

Yeah. No way.

You know damn well Jules/JC for PG13 is a laugher. By 2018 that's 30m in contracts between the two, which is a non-starter.

If you have PG13 + 2 of the 3 top assets, cap space, you have a team that's poised to improve within and be a perennial playoff team going forward.

That's fine, add the Houston pick for an expirer pg13. Maybe laughable if he had multiple years but not for an expirer
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Quote:
Zach Lowe:

Yeah. No way.

That's fine, add the Houston pick for an expirer pg13. Maybe laughable if he had multiple years but not for an expirer

that's essentially a non-trade trade.

You won't get any serious traction without 1 of the top 3 assets being included, something I think Magic would be willing to do (for better or worse).
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Quote:
Zach Lowe:

Yeah. No way.

that's essentially a non-trade trade.

You won't get any serious traction without 1 of the top 3 assets being included, something I think Magic would be willing to do (for better or worse).

That's fine atleast for me. If he wants to join in 2018 is fine.

I am ready to give top assets but not for an expirer, specially when he is so vocal about joining contender
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:

I am ready to give top assets but not for an expirer, specially when he is so vocal about joining contender

Again, as we've done for many years, there's a difference b/w what we as fans want, and what the Lakers FO wants. Who knows what the bottom line is for them. As others like Omar Little pointed out, I view this FO as trying to make a big splash this summer, and PG13 is somewhat lower hanging fruit, though it will take a premium asset to get him. I don't think the FO would make that move if they thought PG13 was going to walk in 2018.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:

If he makes the all-NBA team then what?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

I don't see how he will.

1st team forwards: KD/LBJ
2nd team: Kahwai/Giannis
3rd team: Anthony Davis/Butler.

Others: Draymond, Hayward, PG13.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Again, as we've done for many years, there's a difference b/w what we as fans want, and what the Lakers FO wants. Who knows what the bottom line is for them. As others like Omar Little pointed out, I view this FO as trying to make a big splash this summer, and PG13 is somewhat lower hanging fruit, though it will take a premium asset to get him. I don't think the FO would make that move if they thought PG13 was going to walk in 2018.

If they want to make the biggest splash, they should move JC + Randle + Houston First + 2 Second Rounders and pull a fleecing on good ol' pal, Bird.

I'd be very upset if they moved any 2 of the following: DLO, Zu, Ingram, Top 3 pick. (assuming we retain the pick)

I understand the notion that they want to make a splash, but hopefully if the price was too high, they'd keep their egos in check and think long term. If we got #2, and selected Ball, no we wouldn't turn into a 50 win team but we'd have arguably the best young core in the NBA and with proper growth, could easily be a 30-40 win team that is exciting a hell. I know that's not what they want but reality is those contract Mitch and Jim through out last summer has really made it difficult to acquire a star unless we're lucky enough to wait for PG.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

If they want to make the biggest splash, they should move JC + Randle + Houston First + 2 Second Rounders and pull a fleecing on good ol' pal, Bird.

I'd be very upset if they moved any 2 of the following: DLO, Zu, Ingram, Top 3 pick. (assuming we retain the pick)

I understand the notion that they want to make a splash, but hopefully if the price was too high, they'd keep their egos in check and think long term. If we got #2, and selected Ball, no we wouldn't turn into a 50 win team but we'd have arguably the best young core in the NBA and with proper growth, could easily be a 30-40 win team that is exciting a hell. I know that's not what they want but reality is those contract Mitch and Jim through out last summer has really made it difficult to acquire a star unless we're lucky enough to wait for PG.

My posture is that if we don't trade for PG13, I wouldn't expect to have him fall in our laps in 2018.

If one is OK with both (instead of presuming PG13 will come in 2018 which i lack confidence after WB, Love, DRoz, etc. didn't come to LA either). Money and contending team may speak more loudly in 2018 than being home if that's the case.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
bandiger wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

I don't see how he will.

Playing on a 6th seeded Pacers team along with his current play puts him more likely to make all-nba than Butler/Davis/Giannis. IMHO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
bandiger wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

I don't see how he will.

Playing on a 6th seeded Pacers team along with his current play puts him more likely to make all-nba than Butler/Davis/Giannis. IMHO.

Davis's raw stats will get him in there. Butler is playing better than PG13 this year, and would he beat out Hayward/Draymond also? Not sure.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

It's interesting Zach Lowe suggested Ingram as a trade piece for PG13. I think that makes sense b/c they play the exact same combo forward position. Would theoretically leave us with DLO/Top 3 and PG13. Pretty good start building block-wise.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
It's interesting Zach Lowe suggested Ingram as a trade piece for PG13. I think that makes sense b/c they play the exact same combo forward position. Would theoretically leave us with DLO/Top 3 and PG13. Pretty good start building block-wise.

no he suggested both Ingram + top 3 pick. thats just ridiculous to me.

PG13 is no way worth it. Ingram has started to show life
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I know he suggested both, but I would only offer one. Ingram for PG13 is something I would be open to.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I know he suggested both, but I would only offer one. Ingram for PG13 is something I would be open to.

Ingram and a Top 3 pick is ludicrous.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agreed. 1 of them is fine with me.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agreed. 1 of them is fine with me.

I am hesistant to deal Ingram....I would rather deal the pick
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

as I said before, PG ain't the guy you build around. He's a piece you add to an already strong team.

He's a guy you get as a final piece to what the Rockets are building, or what the Celtics already have.

He ain't the guy you unload your young core for that you're getting to mature to that kind of level.

Paul George added to a team with Russell, Ball, Ingram, Randle and Zubac that are starting to come into their own? Yeah.

Paul George traded to the team with some of our young core gone along with it? Nope. Cause we'd be in the same or worse situation that Indiana(the team he wants to leave) is in right now, and in the off-season likely lose him to the Celtics and the Rockets who can sign him outright and not weaken their team while also giving him a chance at a championship.

If you shouldn't try to build a team around Jimmy Butler, you shouldn't build a team around Paul George.

Kawhi Leonard? Yes. Paul George and Jimmy Butler? No, those are complementary players to put a team over the top, not be the guy who then gets the keys to the franchise.
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
ToastedMuffins wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
The only way we are getting rid of moz or send is if we give up future picks or one or more of our young players. Unfortunately Mitch and Jim put us in a tough spot. Even stretching them at this point doesn't help that much with what there earning.

Stretching both Mozgov and Deng helps significantly actually. Unless you feel that 17 million in cap space isn't helpful. Our win-loss record is far more debilitating to our efforts to improve the team than both Mozgov and Deng's contracts.

I don't think Mozgov is unmovable either. Here's a plausible scenario I feel.

Nets Get: Timofey Mozgov, Tyler Ulis, Rockets 2017 1st, & Suns 2017 2nd
Suns Get: Brook Lopez
Lakers Get: Tyson Chandler

-Nets cash in Lopez' expiring contract into desperately needed assets. Still save cap space short term.
-Suns sharply upgrade at Center, give Len another year to develop and gain Lopez' Bird Rights for when he hits free agency.
-Lakers save salary by swapping Mozgov for hometown vet Chandler who has championship experience. His contract is a year shorter and there's a reasonable chance he could even retire before it's through.

Stretching him wouldn't free up 17 million and we would have years and years of dead money owed. Maybe if he only had a year or two left on his contract it would be an option.

You nailed the plan on the head. We're keeping Deng and Mozgov for next year, which won't be impeding our free agency exploits this summer anyway since we will likely have between 15 and 30 million in cap space regardless which is fine because there aren't more than three obtainable free agents (Holiday, Caldwell-Pope, Noel) that I'd be comfortable paying more than 20 million a year for and 2 of those 3 are restricted and will likely be matched.

When next year rolls along and we've hopefully had a better season and are pursuing top free agents such as George, Cousins and Westbrook (Assuming the former two don't extend) we'll have the ability to stretch both MozDeng's contracts from paying $34,000,000 down to $6,800,000, instantly freeing up over 27 million in cap space. Furthermore, we don't have to take this step until we've already gotten a commitment from a free agent to sign with us.

Will it suck having dead salary on our payroll from MozDeng in 2023? Yes, but it's only 7 million, which isn't a crippling amount by any means and we won't have cap space with which to even utilize that money for many or even all of those years anyway with our young players coming off their rookie contracts.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
as I said before, PG ain't the guy you build around. He's a piece you add to an already strong team.

He's a guy you get as a final piece to what the Rockets are building, or what the Celtics already have.

He ain't the guy you unload your young core for that you're getting to mature to that kind of level.

Paul George added to a team with Russell, Ball, Ingram, Randle and Zubac that are starting to come into their own? Yeah.

Paul George traded to the team with some of our young core gone along with it? Nope. Cause we'd be in the same or worse situation that Indiana(the team he wants to leave) is in right now, and in the off-season likely lose him to the Celtics and the Rockets who can sign him outright and not weaken their team while also giving him a chance at a championship.

If you shouldn't try to build a team around Jimmy Butler, you shouldn't build a team around Paul George.

Kawhi Leonard? Yes. Paul George and Jimmy Butler? No, those are complementary players to put a team over the top, not be the guy who then gets the keys to the franchise.

I'm with you, sir.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
Quote:
Zach Lowe:

You have to get this rental stuff at of your head. That said, no way will LA give up both Ingram and top 3. Ingram and Randle will do.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:

I'm with you, sir.

I'd be all in on getting either Butler or PG if Moz/Deng weren't here. Team doesn't have the depth or cap space to make sure Butler/PG would be committed to signing away thier prime years here. (bleep) Celtics are situated perfectly, its sickening
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 396, 397, 398 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next
Page 397 of 1813
Jump to: