OFFICIAL 2017 FREE AGENCY (Lakers sign Bogut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 539, 540, 541 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

dao wrote:
MJST wrote:
dao wrote:
MJST wrote:
There's absolutely no reason to get Paul George prior to free agency, nor give up our assets for him, our team is nowhere near "one Paul George away" from enough of a one year run that he wouldn't leave in free agency.
of course there is. Acquiring his rights now would allow us to offer George the largest contract when he becomes a free agent. If we can trade for him without giving up Russell/Ingram, it makes plenty of sense to trade for him now. Of course an ideal scenario would be keeping the pick and signing him in 2018, but that would be a long shot. The Pacers are basically forced to trade him now, and the team that acquires him will be able to offer him the biggest contract. I want that team to be us, as long as the trade doesn't involve Russell/Ingram.

A package of #3 + Randle + Clarkson is pretty perfect for both sides. Pacers get Jackson to replace George at SF, and Randle fits with Turner in the starting frontcourt.

On our end, getting rid of Clarkson's 12 million per year and avoiding having to extend Randle allows us to pursue another max FA in addition to George.

Everyone expects Paul George to leave Indiana in free agency despite the fact they can give him the biggest contract.

We aren't special snowflakes.

Jf we're in the same situation as Indiana, which we will be if we give up our youth for him, he'll leave us just like he'll leave them.

If we can attain George without giving up Russell/Ingram, we will be in much better shape than Indy is in now. In the Randle/Clarkson/#3 pick trade scenario, we'd be left with

Russell/Ennis
George/Nwaba
Ingram/Brewer
Nance/Deng
Zubac/Black

Plus cap space to sign another max free agent. In Indy, he's got only 1 up and coming teammate in Turner. Under this scenario, he'd have three (Russell, Ingram, Zubac), and we'd still have cap for another max FA. That's a much better situation than what he has in Indy.

Now of course, if the FO knows that George absolutely wants to come HERE, then you keep the assets and hope to sign George in FA. Short of this high level of certainty, I think it makes sense to trade for his rights now so that you can offer him the largest contract in 2018, as long as you can get George without giving up your top assets (Ingram, Russell, and don't sleep on Zubac, who was around 16/10/2 per 36 after he entered the regular rotation. That is crazy good for a player with such an underdeveloped physique and with so little playing experience. He is a potential future All Star as well).

Now, note that I include #3 in this scenario, because I would NOT trade Ball/Fultz for him. I also would not trade either Ingram or Russell. However, if the pick is #3, I wouldn't mind giving up Josh Jackson, Randle, and Clarkson for George. Clarkson has minimal value, and Randle at PF is easily replaced by Nance/Deng. Losing these two players would have very little negative impact on the team imo. So it comes down to whether trading Josh Jackson is worth being able to offer the largest contract to George in 2018. I think the answer is yes, particularly because dropping Clarkson's contract and not having to extend Randle would give us enough space to sign another max FA in addition to George.

Expiring contract Paul George isn't worth Randle, Clarkson and the pick.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
I think Denver can offer a crazy package for PG

Faried, Chandler, Mudiay, Barton, pick

They wont give up Jamal Murray or Gary Harris

thats a crazy package? those all are mediocre players

IDK doesn't seem much better than DLo/Clarkson/Deng lol

Deng is a negative at this point. Clarkson is not better than any of those players nuggets could offer. The only thing is how much they value DLO over Mudiay and a pick.

It's all about the best young core player for the Pacers if they trade George.

The guy who will anchor their future with Turner.

Russell has a good shot of being that guy. probably more than anyone else they'll be offered.

You are offering guys who are mostly of interest to teams looking to take the extra step to contention. that's not where the Pacers are when trading George.

Yeah, and Mudiay. well, yeah.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

Deng is a negative at this point. Clarkson is not better than any of those players nuggets could offer. The only thing is how much they value DLO over Mudiay and a pick.

Russell has a good shot of being that guy. probably more than anyone else they'll be offered.

You are offering guys who are mostly of interest to teams looking to take the extra step to contention. that's not where the Pacers are when trading George.

Yeah I agree Russell is the best prospect.

But with the Denver package, along with Myles Turner keeps them competitive and maybe even in the playoffs..

Mudiay
Barton
Chandler
Faried
Turner

That could be a legit team. Really depends on how Bird Feels about DLO and whether he values remaining competitive or not for the next season or 2.

They still have to decide whether they want to keep Teague or not as well.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
davidse wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

But with the Denver package, along with Myles Turner keeps them competitive and maybe even in the playoffs..

Mudiay
Barton
Chandler
Faried
Turner

That could be a legit team. Really depends on how Bird Feels about DLO and whether he values remaining competitive or not for the next season or 2.

It keeps them where no nba team wants to be - mediocrity hell.

To get out of there, a team has to focus on the best young players they can get when they rebuild the team, and not fall for quick feel good fixes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
davidse wrote:
If we give Bird a take it or leave it offer of

Russell, Clarkson, Deng
for
George, Ellis

I don't see how he can turn it down in spite of Deng who will have a place in the rotation with George gone.

For us, it will be much easier to compensate for Russell with Deng gone, even if we don't keep our pick, but most certainly if we do.

It's still not something I would do without giving it some very long thought, but I think it has a chance of being a realistic scenario we can live with - definitely if we keep the pick, but perhaps even if we don't - which in principle is a scenario where I thought I'd be flat out against any Russell for George trade.
This one I might consider if the follow up moves are in place.

I would do this trade in a second if I was the Lakers.

Assuming George puts the pressure on and refuses to commit to an extention with any other team, wouldn't you do it if you were Bird ?

I was honestly trying to find a realistic compromise that worked for both sides here. don't think the Lakers are fleecing the Pacers or anything.
Relatively speaking, I think it's a very respectable deal for a star player with leverage entering the final year of his deal.

Is this assuming no top 3 pick bc I assume Bird would want it.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
davidse wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

Mudiay
Barton
Chandler
Faried
Turner

i doubt they want to fight for playoffs if they trade out paul george.

Faried: average player
Barton: expirer looking for big contract
chandler: injury prone player
mudiay: bust

no idea is this a knockout big package
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

For sure. I agree I want the best young prospect in a trade for George.

What about Turner? What if Indiana keeps losing and he doesn't like it and wants to go to a better team?

Adding Dlo to there team and losing George makes them one of the worst teams in the league next season. Even if Dangelo improves a huge amount.

They might be more attracted to staying somewhat competitive while developing a couple other draft picks alongside the team.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

MJST wrote:
dao wrote:
MJST wrote:
dao wrote:
MJST wrote:
There's absolutely no reason to get Paul George prior to free agency, nor give up our assets for him, our team is nowhere near "one Paul George away" from enough of a one year run that he wouldn't leave in free agency.
of course there is. Acquiring his rights now would allow us to offer George the largest contract when he becomes a free agent. If we can trade for him without giving up Russell/Ingram, it makes plenty of sense to trade for him now. Of course an ideal scenario would be keeping the pick and signing him in 2018, but that would be a long shot. The Pacers are basically forced to trade him now, and the team that acquires him will be able to offer him the biggest contract. I want that team to be us, as long as the trade doesn't involve Russell/Ingram.

A package of #3 + Randle + Clarkson is pretty perfect for both sides. Pacers get Jackson to replace George at SF, and Randle fits with Turner in the starting frontcourt.

On our end, getting rid of Clarkson's 12 million per year and avoiding having to extend Randle allows us to pursue another max FA in addition to George.

Everyone expects Paul George to leave Indiana in free agency despite the fact they can give him the biggest contract.

We aren't special snowflakes.

Jf we're in the same situation as Indiana, which we will be if we give up our youth for him, he'll leave us just like he'll leave them.

If we can attain George without giving up Russell/Ingram, we will be in much better shape than Indy is in now. In the Randle/Clarkson/#3 pick trade scenario, we'd be left with

Russell/Ennis
George/Nwaba
Ingram/Brewer
Nance/Deng
Zubac/Black

Plus cap space to sign another max free agent. In Indy, he's got only 1 up and coming teammate in Turner. Under this scenario, he'd have three (Russell, Ingram, Zubac), and we'd still have cap for another max FA. That's a much better situation than what he has in Indy.

Now of course, if the FO knows that George absolutely wants to come HERE, then you keep the assets and hope to sign George in FA. Short of this high level of certainty, I think it makes sense to trade for his rights now so that you can offer him the largest contract in 2018, as long as you can get George without giving up your top assets (Ingram, Russell, and don't sleep on Zubac, who was around 16/10/2 per 36 after he entered the regular rotation. That is crazy good for a player with such an underdeveloped physique and with so little playing experience. He is a potential future All Star as well).

Now, note that I include #3 in this scenario, because I would NOT trade Ball/Fultz for him. I also would not trade either Ingram or Russell. However, if the pick is #3, I wouldn't mind giving up Josh Jackson, Randle, and Clarkson for George. Clarkson has minimal value, and Randle at PF is easily replaced by Nance/Deng. Losing these two players would have very little negative impact on the team imo. So it comes down to whether trading Josh Jackson is worth being able to offer the largest contract to George in 2018. I think the answer is yes, particularly because dropping Clarkson's contract and not having to extend Randle would give us enough space to sign another max FA in addition to George.

Expiring contract Paul George isn't worth Randle, Clarkson and the pick.

This discussion is like a dog chasing its own tail. What is a trade for George likely to be? There is no consensus. No chart. Just what a team will be willing to give to Indy.

If Indy decides to trade him there will be multiple teams willing to take the risk he re-signs with them. Including the Lakers.

As fans we may not agree with the strategy but the Laker FO has already made it clear they will be dealing this summer. George being a primary target if at all possible.

The new FO is highly motivated to make a change and land an All-Star. IMO the motivation is as much off the court as for on it. The impact in marketing, business and credibility in public relations goes far beyond the stats. What will the front office be willing to give up for that ?

I admire your confidence that they would stop before offering Randle, Clarkson and the Top 3 pick. My concern is they do not stop there.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
davidse wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

Mudiay
Barton
Chandler
Faried
Turner

Impossible to say Mudiay is a bust.

He had some good games this season and I wouldn't give up on him so quickly.

He could still end up better than DLO.

But as of right now DLO is a better prospect that I agree with.

But to discount Mudiay and say hes a bust is hater talk.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:

What about Turner? What if Indiana keeps losing and he doesn't like it and wants to go to a better team?

Adding Dlo to there team and losing George makes them one of the worst teams in the league next season. Even if Dangelo improves a huge amount.

They might be more attracted to staying somewhat competitive while developing a couple other draft picks alongside the team.

turner can cry and sob that he wants to go somewhere but guess what? he is a rookie and Bird owns him for next 5/6years.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
davidse wrote:
If we give Bird a take it or leave it offer of

Russell, Clarkson, Deng
for
George, Ellis

I don't see how he can turn it down in spite of Deng who will have a place in the rotation with George gone.

For us, it will be much easier to compensate for Russell with Deng gone, even if we don't keep our pick, but most certainly if we do.

It's still not something I would do without giving it some very long thought, but I think it has a chance of being a realistic scenario we can live with - definitely if we keep the pick, but perhaps even if we don't - which in principle is a scenario where I thought I'd be flat out against any Russell for George trade.
This one I might consider if the follow up moves are in place.

I would do this trade in a second if I was the Lakers.

Assuming George puts the pressure on and refuses to commit to an extention with any other team, wouldn't you do it if you were Bird ?

I was honestly trying to find a realistic compromise that worked for both sides here. don't think the Lakers are fleecing the Pacers or anything.
Relatively speaking, I think it's a very respectable deal for a star player with leverage entering the final year of his deal.

Is this assuming no top 3 pick bc I assume Bird would want it.

Bird would want everything, but the Lakers will only be giving up one of Russell, Ingram, or the pick.
They're simply not going to give up 2 items on this list.

And I think Bird would prefer Russell to a complete crap shoot of the draft.

From the Lakers end it's interesting - do you pull off this trade even if no pick (because with a pick it's a no brainer imo).
I think there's a decent chance of that, specifically because it leaves the cap room to add a top free agent.
Perhaps you even make inquiries about that before pulling the trigger ?

But the whole "novalty" of this trade for me personally, is that it's something I might consider from the Lakers standpoint even if we lose our pick, while before I would have been 100% against any Russell trade for George if we don't have a top 3 pick.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

Is ennis > mudiay?
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

Chase.button07 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

turner can cry and sob that he wants to go somewhere but guess what? he is a rookie and Bird owns him for next 5/6years.

I thought he was a FA in 2020?
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

BobbyB wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
davidse wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

Mudiay
Barton
Chandler
Faried
Turner

Impossible to say Mudiay is a bust.

He had some good games this season and I wouldn't give up on him so quickly.

He could still end up better than DLO.

But as of right now DLO is a better prospect that I agree with.

But to discount Mudiay and say hes a bust is hater talk.

his own coach won't play him ahead of nelson
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Is ennis > mudiay?

I would say Mudiay has more talent overall but ennis has more skill. Including better shot, passing abilities.

Mudiay projects more as a combo scoring guard IMO. Great ability to attack the rim, get to the ft line. His shot will improve but hard to say if it could ever get as good as DLo or Ennis.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

2020 is what like 3years from now? bird has the right to match any offer turner receives
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

2020 is what like 3years from now? bird has the right to match any offer turner receives

Well Turner is stuck then! haha
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:

I don't know if anyone has seen this yet Dan Favale from Bleacher Report predicts how much some FAs will make this summer.

JaMychal Green - Four years, $76 million
Tim Hardaway Jr - Four years, $58 million
Serge Ibaka - Four years, $108 million
Patty Mills - Four years, $70 million
Nerlens Noel - Four years, $90 million
Mason Plumlee - Four years, $60 million
JJ Redick - Four years, $74 million
Andre Roberson - Four years, $88 million
Derrick Rose - Three years, $42 million

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2704610-he-made-how-much-predicting-the-worst-contracts-of-2017-nba-offseason
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

Dilla_ wrote:
I don't know if anyone has seen this yet Dan Favale from Bleacher Report predicts how much some FAs will make this summer.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2704610-he-made-how-much-predicting-the-worst-contracts-of-2017-nba-offseason

JaMychal Green - Proving he can be a legit starting "stretch 4"
Tim Hardway - I would sign him for that price. Its possible he could get max
Serge Ibaka - That's about right
Patty Mills - To expensive. Never proven hes a starter.
Nerlens - Could get more. But he will be paid no doubt
Mason- About right. Comparable to average centers in the NBA
JJ - To expensive for his age.
Andre Roberson - Way to expensive. Great D, can he improve his shooting?
Derrick Rose - Risky but good deal
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

No prediction on Swag'El?
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

I cant see swaggy wanting to go to some random team. unless they offer a ridiculous contract.

He will take less money for situation IMO.

I could see the Clippers being interested. especially if no resign of Reddick.

Most I could see him getting is 3yr 30 million.
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

Dilla_ wrote:

I can't see Redick getting 74 million for 4 years. He can only do ONE thing.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

Dilla_ wrote:

88 million for Roberson?? So he's gonna get more than Oladipo??

Truth be told, I really like Roberson. I think his defense is so good, he's worth signing and praying his jump shot falls. But I don't think anyone gives him that. Lot of guys on that list I like, but short of Ibaka, I don't see us going after any of them.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:

88 million for Roberson?? So he's gonna get more than Oladipo??

Truth be told, I really like Roberson. I think his defense is so good, he's worth signing and praying his jump shot falls. But I don't think anyone gives him that. Lot of guys on that list I like, but short of Ibaka, I don't see us going after any of them.

Looking longer at it, all these numbers look insane to me save for Nerlens Noel, who the Mavs will definitely match to the max if anyone is wiling to try (go for it Brooklyn!). I think Derrick Rose signs a one-year deal.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I cant see swaggy wanting to go to some random team. unless they offer a ridiculous contract.

He will take less money for situation IMO.

I could see the Clippers being interested. especially if no resign of Reddick.

Most I could see him getting is 3yr 30 million.

I see him signing an MLE.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 539, 540, 541 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next
Page 540 of 1813
Jump to: