OFFICIAL 2017 FREE AGENCY (Lakers sign Bogut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lakers-Hezonja/J.Green
Magic-Rubio
TWolves-Deng

Possibly include Calderon/Pekovic in the deal to make it better for the TWolves.

magic need another guy who can't shoot?

That's not the worst trade idea. I'm not sure how enthused they are with payton who makes some boneheaded decisions.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:
B) Expect the volume to keep rising on questions about Luol Deng and where he fits with this team. In the first year of a four-year, $72 million deal, Deng is shooting 33 percent from the field and struggling to find his niche among all the Lakers' youth and pace. Who knows what sort of market would await the Lakers even if they tried to trade him, but the topic seems unlikely to fade.

per Marc Stein

Even if Deng Improves as the season goes on, If someone offers something decent we should explore our options.

I could see Toronto being interested in Deng.

i totally don't see Toronto being interested at all. they DC, DD, Paid val and have to max out Lowry this summer
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject:

I think Rubio is underrated, but he needs a very specific fit, and the Lakers as currently constructed wouldn't be the best fit for his offensive skillset. Trading Deng for him makes perfect sense from an asset acquisition perspective, but I doubt even Billy King would make a Deng for Rubio swap despite Rubio also struggling early on.

Deng is an expensive liability, which means that he's going to remain the Lakers' liability until his play improves, his contract gets shorter, or he comes with another asset. Unless Mitch is a warlock, there's no chance Deng is moved after 12/15 without the Lakers sending out pick(s) or a young player as part of a salary dump. There's no reason to do that given the team's current trajectory, which means we should probably get used to complaining about Luol dribbling the ball of his foot every game.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:
B) Expect the volume to keep rising on questions about Luol Deng and where he fits with this team. In the first year of a four-year, $72 million deal, Deng is shooting 33 percent from the field and struggling to find his niche among all the Lakers' youth and pace. Who knows what sort of market would await the Lakers even if they tried to trade him, but the topic seems unlikely to fade.

per Marc Stein

Even if Deng Improves as the season goes on, If someone offers something decent we should explore our options.

i totally don't see Toronto being interested at all. they DC, DD, Paid val and have to max out Lowry this summer

Just FWIW, but the Raptors starting PF is some guy named Siakam, they can diffinitely use Deng at the 4 more so then the Lakers can cause our PF position is more deep.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Gun to my head I don't think we move or try to move Deng this season.

Next season, more likely, since Ingram should be our starting SF by then. If we could find a way to get a late 1st rounder in order to not run afoul of the Stepien rule, could maybe attach a 1st rounder with Deng too if his play remains subpar.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:

per Marc Stein

Just FWIW, but the Raptors starting PF is some guy named Siakam, they can diffinitely use Deng at the 4 more so then the Lakers can cause our PF position is more deep.

Siakam's their energy guy... just repeat energy, it gives them more than anything Deng would give them. That team is probably the last team that would need someone with Deng's current abilities.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lakers-Hezonja/J.Green
Magic-Rubio
TWolves-Deng

Possibly include Calderon/Pekovic in the deal to make it better for the TWolves.

Orlando management sucks so maybe
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject:

I don't know guys. This team is playing way above their head. I know Deng has been shooting like crap and seems a step slow, but I for one don't want to alter the chemistry. Luke and the FO have been saying nothing but great things about how much Deng has contributed. We only see him play they seem him practice, mentor, work and teach. If they think he is doing a good job, then fine with me. Chemistry can be fragile and Deng might be a key to how well they are playing due to his off the court influence.

Think I am crazy? Well look at the T-pups. They are probably too young and lack the vets that this team has to balance out the youth and they are loosing.

Move Deng at your peril.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
I don't know guys. This team is playing way above their head. I know Deng has been shooting like crap and seems a step slow, but I for one don't want to alter the chemistry. Luke and the FO have been saying nothing but great things about how much Deng has contributed. We only see him play they seem him practice, mentor, work and teach. If they think he is doing a good job, then fine with me. Chemistry can be fragile and Deng might be a key to how well they are playing due to his off the court influence.

Think I am crazy? Well look at the T-pups. They are probably too young and lack the vets that this team has to balance out the youth and they are loosing.

Move Deng at your peril.

Of the court chemistry is important. Having the proper vets around your young guys is too. With that said, I think Nick, Lou, MWP, Mozgov, Marcelo, Calderon does more than enough to fill the veteran leadership roles. That's nearly half of our team being "veterans". What vets do the TWolves have? BRush? J.Hill? Losing Deng off the court contributions would be a loss. But picking up the roster flexibility to sign a good free agent in 2017 while still keeping a max slot open in 2018 (plus whatever we receive back in the trade) would be a bigger gain.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Move Deng at your peril.

Of the court chemistry is important. Having the proper vets around your young guys is too. With that said, I think Nick, Lou, MWP, Mozgov, Marcelo, Calderon does more than enough to fill the veteran leadership roles. That's nearly half of our team being "veterans". What vets do the TWolves have? BRush? J.Hill? Losing Deng off the court contributions would be a loss. But picking up the roster flexibility to sign a good free agent in 2017 while still keeping a max slot open in 2018 (plus whatever we receive back in the trade) would be a bigger gain.

Let's be honest and real here though. The chances of the Lakers pursuing a purely (or mostly) salary dump is unreal.

The chances of the Lakers getting mostly expiring deals while the other team bears the Deng contract cross is unlikely.

If there was a deal consummated, it would be one team's baggage for another team's baggage.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lakers-Hezonja/J.Green
Magic-Rubio
TWolves-Deng

True dat
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Move Deng at your peril.

Let's be honest and real here though. The chances of the Lakers pursuing a purely (or mostly) salary dump is unreal.

The chances of the Lakers getting mostly expiring deals while the other team bears the Deng contract cross is unlikely.

If there was a deal consummated, it would be one team's baggage for another team's baggage.

You're T Ross + contract for Deng
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Very early when I joined the board, I posted about how terrible Rubio's shooting is, and how ridiculously overpriced he is. He has an awful contract and I want no part of that. What is the fascination with him? I don't want a can't-shoot backcourt player on the court getting major minutes. He would be our 5th-best guard, and that's in a best-case scenario. Meaning, no room to even play him. OK, so he makes slightly less money per year and has 1 less year on his deal than Deng does. But then we take out a rotation player (Deng) for a non-rotation player (Rubio), not to mention what that might do to the room. And as VLF and others have mentioned, the Lakers don't like to do business that way (sign a guy and then ship him off immediately).

If we're going to trade for a high-priced player, that player better be able to contribute, or we better get a lot more salary relief than just 1 less year on a deal and a little bit of savings per year, or we better get draft picks. I realize that Rubio is more athletic than Jose Calderon is and plays better defense (let's be honest, virtually all guards play better D than Calderon), but it's not like Rubio is a difference-making defender, and his shooting is so much worse than Calderon's that I don't even think the gap between the two is crazy. And people are genuinely excited about the prospect of Rubio in the P&G?

I really, really don't get it.

He has the same last name as mine and I've been dreaming of getting authentic Laker gear with my name on it. Please basketball gods, make this come true 😄😄

You can always just order a customized Laker jersey with any name that you want on the jersey lol. My parents surprised me with a Christmas gift around 1993 or so with an LA Kings jersey with my last name on the back. As an aside, I remember being in line to get into the Forum to attend a Kings game about a year later, and I could hear these guys behind me talking about not remembering who this player was on the back of my jersey, and within a minute or so, they had talked themselves into believing that the Kings had traded for this guy earlier that season. It was pretty hilarious.

But yeah, no Ricky Rubio on the Lakers, please.

Ha ha. Awesome story, maybe I'll go down that route
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject:

I hope that poster about DeMarcus Cousins being on the table is true, this team needs a consistent scorer BADDDD.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:

per Marc Stein

Yeah Toronto really looks like they need a washed up guy at 18M per for 4 years.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject:

lakers need a rim protector. give it a try with Noel and see how he fits into the system

today it was like a layup lineup
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Move Deng at your peril.

Well, I don't think Nick offers much veteran "leadership". Marcelo hasn't played many nba games either. I am not opposed trading Deng because he is clearly loss on the court. However, he is the only veteran player we have who used to be a star player besides MWP and I wouldn't classify MWP having a high basketball IQ. Thus, Deng offers a special leadership on this Lakers team.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
lakers need a rim protector. give it a try with Noel and see how he fits into the system

today it was like a layup lineup

Yup, the dude's gonna get dealt.. it's only a matter of where.

LA in: Noel, Bayless, Covington
LA out: Calderon, Williams, future picks

PHI in: Calderon, Morris, LAL future picks
PHI out: Noel, Bayless, Covington

DET in: Williams
DET out: Morris

Russell/Bayless/Huertas
Young/Clarkson
Deng /Ingram/Covington
Randle/Nance
Mozgov/Noel/Zubac
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject:

I don't know why Luke didnt make use of the GSW connection to sign Barnes. Why did he propose us signing D*ng....
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
I don't know why Luke didnt make use of the GSW connection to sign Barnes. Why did he propose us signing D*ng....

At the time Barnes came off a horrific NBA finals where he was really the Cavs MVP. perhaps he didnt think the Lakers should spend 90m on a guy he didn't think was more than a 4th option.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject:

Or...... he didn't want to come here just like 99% of the other free agents because this team sucked for 3 years in a row which is why it is important we win everything from now on in order to get back on track

GO LAKERS
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Yong wrote:

At the time Barnes came off a horrific NBA finals where he was really the Cavs MVP. perhaps he didnt think the Lakers should spend 90m on a guy he didn't think was more than a 4th option.

Even after that I prefer to pay 91m on a versatile 24yr old then 72m on a 31yr heavy mileage guy.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lakers-Hezonja/J.Green
Magic-Rubio
TWolves-Deng

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Yong wrote:

Even after that I prefer to pay 91m on a versatile 24yr old then 72m on a 31yr heavy mileage guy.

Weren't you deadest against him during the summer iirc?
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Yong wrote:

Weren't you deadest against him during the summer iirc?

No I was all for it.

Barnes: 20.3/5.8/1.2
Deng: 6.5/5.3/1.5

Last edited by Jim99187 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next
Page 90 of 1813
Jump to: