OFFICIAL 2017 FREE AGENCY (Lakers sign Bogut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1524, 1525, 1526 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
^I don't trade any of our assets as part of a Deng or Clarkson package unless it gets us directly to the 2018 cap space. The assumption that any contract is easy to move (once we no longer have those assets) is a very risk one, and one not worth taking IMO.

I think the Lakers should be very open to taking on a contract that doesn't directly get us 2018 cap space as long as that contract is about $11 or so and expiring.

1) If you can't dump the expiring contract, at worst, you stretch that player and get hit with $3.5m over 3 years. Compare that to Deng whom stretched would be 7.4 over 5 years. That extra $4m and dumping Clarkson is enough to sign Lebron and PG13 and keep Randle.

2) If you don't sign 2 max players next summer, by turning Deng's 2 years into an expiring, you now have space to go after a Max in 2019.
#StayInYoLane
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject:

infoman2001 wrote:
Lakers need to offer Brandon Jennings a contract 1 year deal.

Would love this!
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject:

#StayInYoLane wrote:
infoman2001 wrote:

Would love this!

Didn't Jennings have beef with Luke's boy, Farmar? No chance of that happening
#StayInYoLane
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
^I don't trade any of our assets as part of a Deng or Clarkson package unless it gets us directly to the 2018 cap space. The assumption that any contract is easy to move (once we no longer have those assets) is a very risk one, and one not worth taking IMO.

Also since we're the lakers.. it is even harder to move contracts. Nobody wants to help us
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^It's going to have to be JC. In which case, if Ennis or Clark don't want 1 year contracts, I want Brandon Paul.

I think it should have been obvious by year two that Jordan Clarkson is not an effective PG.
Hollywood $winger
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
The Lakers need to sign a real PG ASAP.

Who can bring the ball down under pressure. Caruso cannot under real pressure.

exactly. like i said early imo caruso is not an NBA players. we need Lonzo lite.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Another one is Faried to the Cavs for Frye and Jefferson. Frye wasn't even in their rotation by the end of the playoffs, and Faried is the only other player like Tristan Thompson that they would have on their roster. (An activity/energy big.)

Frye and Jefferson are expirings, and Luke and Jefferson are reunited and it feels so good. We probably wouldn't even have to give up a pick for them to do this.

Yes. Like this a lot. Arizona Lakers are legit.

they have to drop Cedi Osman in that trade as well.

Frye/Richardson/Osman for Clarkson/ 2nd

we can't afford even a minimal 2-3m salary from Osaman as JC's deal needs to bring back $0 in 2018 cap.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
It kills me to say but if Zubac continues to show regression, we could really include him as a sweetener with Clarkson and Deng.

With Kuzma being the stretch forward we've been looking for, play Nance as a backup 5 and Kuzma backup 4. We're going to continue to play small ball either way.

Man I didn't think I would be saying that for a long while.

Given today's NBA, not sure how much of a sweetener sweet Zub is. Look at a guy like Kanter and Okafor. Old school big men.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
I am thinking of the possibility of signing a shooter, and trading JC for a PG whose contract will expire in 2018. Not many options though.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2018/point-guard/available/
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/shooting-guard/available/

BTW, spotrac is good to use.

Ideally, you find someone who can backup Ball and play with him too. Pairing Ball with somebody with ball-handling, shooting, and D would maximize his abilities. I am not sure JC fits the description.

Re: JC

1. his deal has to come off the books by the latest, July 2018 to get 2 max spots (along with stretching or trading Deng, maybe Jules).

2. He is one of the better players on the team at getting to the rim, as Lonzo/KCP are not those kinds of players.

The conundrum is what to do about him. Should we trade him as soon as possible to ensure that we have our 2018 plan set in place for the most part, or hold on to him and trade him in the offseason (where teams may want a higher price knowing our 2018 plan)?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
infoman2001 wrote:

I wouldn't mind this but I think clarkson is the backup 1

Coach Luke didn't exactly endorse that position by saying in a recent interview that Lonzo was the only PG on the team.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
infoman2001 wrote:

I wouldn't mind this but I think clarkson is the backup 1

Coach Luke didn't exactly endorse that position by saying in a recent interview that Lonzo was the only PG on the team.

Yeah, I doubt that Clarksoin is the backup 1. You really see why we need a backup pg. You can't expect Ball to play heavy minutes, at the toughest position, and not need any help.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject:

One team I see hasn't been mention for Deng is Utah. They have their guards with Rubio, Donovan and Exum, but they are a little lite on stretch 4's. The only one on the roster is Jebreko.

The reason I think the Jazz could look at Deng is Derrick Favors being a UFA. Do the Jazz really want to invest 20M a year into Favors? If we can give them Deng, plus two picks, does that make them bite?

Interesting to hear people thoughts.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
One team I see hasn't been mention for Deng is Utah. They have their guards with Rubio, Donovan and Exum, but they are a little lite on stretch 4's. The only one on the roster is Jebreko.

The reason I think the Jazz could look at Deng is Derrick Favors being a UFA. Do the Jazz really want to invest 20M a year into Favors? If we can give them Deng, plus two picks, does that make them bite?

pretty sure they would rather put $20 Million into Favors over $18 Million into Deng
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

pretty sure they would rather put $20 Million into Favors over $18 Million into Deng

You think they rather pay Favors 80 million + over 4 years, or pay Deng 36 million over 2, with two or three picks for their troubles?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

You think they rather pay Favors 80 million + over 4 years, or pay Deng 36 million over 2, with two or three picks for their troubles?

the truth is they do not have to pay either.....I just think at this point there is about a 3% chance Deng can play himself off the roster and about a 97% chance he gets stretched
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

Obviously depends on the picks, and the protections on it.

2 2nd rounders won't do much.

But 2 1st rounders would be a good deal for Utah, not sure why the Lakers do that.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject:

LB2 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
See what happened after lonzo got taken out? Offense stagnated

This is why we should get Kendall Marshall to back him up. That way we can run the same system in both lineups

100% on board with this. Always been a fan of his and he's one of the only guys in the league that could teach Lonzo a thing or two about being a playmaker without crazy blow by speed. My only issue is the lack of quick on-ball perimeter defenders. But at this point I'd take Kendall as our back up for sure.

do it rob
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
LB2 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

This is why we should get Kendall Marshall to back him up. That way we can run the same system in both lineups

100% on board with this. Always been a fan of his and he's one of the only guys in the league that could teach Lonzo a thing or two about being a playmaker without crazy blow by speed. My only issue is the lack of quick on-ball perimeter defenders. But at this point I'd take Kendall as our back up for sure.

do it rob

Marshall would be nice. Ennis would work too.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
LB2 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

do it rob

Marshall would be nice. Ennis would work too.

just bring them to camp and see who earns it
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LaxT wrote:
I am thinking of the possibility of signing a shooter, and trading JC for a PG whose contract will expire in 2018. Not many options though.

Ideally, you find someone who can backup Ball and play with him too. Pairing Ball with somebody with ball-handling, shooting, and D would maximize his abilities. I am not sure JC fits the description.

1. his deal has to come off the books by the latest, July 2018 to get 2 max spots (along with stretching or trading Deng, maybe Jules).

2. He is one of the better players on the team at getting to the rim, as Lonzo/KCP are not those kinds of players.

The conundrum is what to do about him. Should we trade him as soon as possible to ensure that we have our 2018 plan set in place for the most part, or hold on to him and trade him in the offseason (where teams may want a higher price knowing our 2018 plan)?

We need to raise his value first. He should look better playing with Lonzo and Lopez, so I would keep him. If his value is good enough by the trade deadline, deal him then, if not, keep him until the summer. Won't have any issues trading him since he is young and on a decent deal. If he regresses even further we may need to add something to trade him, but I don't think that will be the case.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject:

lewis wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LaxT wrote:

We need to raise his value first. He should look better playing with Lonzo and Lopez, so I would keep him. If his value is good enough by the trade deadline, deal him then, if not, keep him until the summer. Won't have any issues trading him since he is young and on a decent deal. If he regresses even further we may need to add something to trade him, but I don't think that will be the case.

I would be against waiting until next summer. The overall amount of cap space is lower than 2016 and 2017, and teams obviously know the Lakers would be 100% desperate to get rid of his deal for 2 maxes. It's literally impossible to have 2 maxes unless 2/3 (and likely all 3) of JC/Deng/Jules are moved/stretched.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
It kills me to say but if Zubac continues to show regression, we could really include him as a sweetener with Clarkson and Deng.

With Kuzma being the stretch forward we've been looking for, play Nance as a backup 5 and Kuzma backup 4. We're going to continue to play small ball either way.

Man I didn't think I would be saying that for a long while.

Given today's NBA, not sure how much of a sweetener sweet Zub is. Look at a guy like Kanter and Okafor. Old school big men.

If Kuzma is legit, the sweetener is gonna be Nance or Randle
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject:

I don't think they'll move anyone before the start of the season unless they get a valid offer involving Deng. I think they'll roll with this squad and see how they're doing come the trade deadline. If they're fighting for the 8th seed I see them holding on to the main contributors of the squad and make their moves in the off season ( not including Deng who should be moved any chance they get). If they're too far out from and 8th seed then I see them moving JC and hopefully Deng at the deadline.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

The way he is playing, he is like a sweetener of Stevia courtesy Walter White.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
I don't think they'll move anyone before the start of the season unless they get a valid offer involving Deng. I think they'll roll with this squad and see how they're doing come the trade deadline. If they're fighting for the 8th seed I see them holding on to the main contributors of the squad and make their moves in the off season ( not including Deng who should be moved any chance they get). If they're too far out from and 8th seed then I see them moving JC and hopefully Deng at the deadline.

I think they need to get Deng on the court at PF with Lonzo. Zo might actually make Deng look like he can still play.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1524, 1525, 1526 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next
Page 1525 of 1813
Jump to: